Date   

Re: NVDA-2016.2 Slows Down with Firefox

Brian's Mail list account BY <bglists@...>
 

Yes I often find though that the biggest slowing is when programs are booting in for the first time. This is indeed often due to the operating system allocating resources in a clumsy way, which is why it appears to be nvda doing it as its hooked in to many bits of software all the time.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andre Fisher" <andrefisher729@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 6:57 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA-2016.2 Slows Down with Firefox


NVDA is not being unresponsive, your computer is. These types of
activities are certainly not recommended for older operating systems.
What's more? You are using an outdated version of NVDA.

On 6/8/16, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com> wrote:
hi.
i tested your problem and took the same result.
i use windows xp not powerful hardware nvda 2015.3 and firefox 41.
when i open many apps together nvda becomes very slow, not responsive
and difficult to use.
it happens specially for example: when i am sending one file in the
skype and also opened many apps and many tab in my firefox browser.
in most cases, i quit nvda and open it again to resolve the issue.
also sometimes maybe you open a graphical website that makes your
system slow and its very hevy to load.
hope thats help and god bless you.

On 6/8/16, Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:
NVdA, if it slows down, doesn't slow down as you reported last year.
I've
never seen the kinds of slow downs you described last year attributed to
NVDA.

Gene


From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 2:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA-2016.2 Slows Down with Firefox


I haven't noticed this so much with Firefox, but I have noticed this a
couple times over the last few days in the ordinary system. I don't have
heaps of RAM like the person who gave their specs, but I have had this
problem crop up every now and again over the years. Usually, I can
restart NVDA without having to restart the computer, but when it came to
my Braille Display, things would lock up to the point where I'd have to
restart the entire system, sometimes requiring sighted help to do so. If
this hasn't been just me, then all those scans I did last year to try
and make everything run faster weren't effective because it wasn't my
system's fault. It was NVDA not responding. That is, of course, if the
problems are more widespread than I first thought.


On 8/06/2016 5:08 PM, Mário Navarro wrote:


NVDA is not just slow in browsers, but also in the system.
after browsing for a while, it starts to get slow and I have to turn
off and on to get normal again.
and my pc is a good machine with I5 processor, 4 RAM ..
with jaws these occurrences do not happen.
I now use the jaws 17 full-time for these reasons.
jaws is not slow in any situation like this occurred with NVDA.

I only use 3 extras.
I do not need anything else.

NVDA is getting slower and every a new version.
this makes me worry.

I think the team of NVDA has to think about this with more seriously.

cheers.
Às 01:25 de 08/06/2016, Kwork escreveu:
Yes, but I've had this behavior in all three of the main browsers,
with both
NVDA and Jaws, so I just close and re-open Firefox, my main browser,
once in
a while, and only use the others when necessary.
Win 7, 64-bit.
Travis
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob" <captinlogic@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 9:03 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA-2016.2 Slows Down with Firefox


System: Windows 7, NVDA 2016.2, Firefox, any version.
This has always been an ongoing problem, but it seems to be more
prevalent
now.
If you have a number of tabs open in Firefox, NVDA will begin to slow
down
appreciably in the program. Responses to key presses are delayed and
using
the browser becomes problematic and inefficient. The only solution is
to
restart firefox.
In previous versions of NVDA, this decrease in responsivness took a
while to
manifest--sometimes I could work for a whole day and NVDA would not
slow
down until the next.
However, now it barely takes six to ten hours for this slowness to
occur.
The only way to reproduce this step is to to work in Firefox for a
while,
with a number of tabs open.
I do not know if this same slowness occurs in Internet Explorer,
Chrome or
Edge.
I would like to know if others have experienced this decrease in
performance, and what--if any--solutions are available to counteract
this
problem.






.






--
Those who follow the Messenger-Prophet, the Ummi, whom they find
written down with them in the Taurat and the Injeel [who] enjoins them
good and forbids them evil, and makes lawful to them the good things
and makes unlawful to them impure things, and removes from them their
burden and the shackles which were upon them; so [as for] those who
believe in him and honor him and help him, and follow the light which
has been sent down with him, these it is that are the successful.
holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org




Re: Google's Gear Icon

Brian's Mail list account BY <bglists@...>
 

So then, why don't google simply label it as settings button drop down or something more obvious than at present.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Bowers" <gdbowers@swbell.net>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Google's Gear Icon


Thanks, Brian. That really was a helpful reply and I appreciate it.

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 9:02 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Google's Gear Icon

Gary,

The answer to this depends on which Google pages you're talking about. On pages such as Gmail's page and the Google Calendar, where the button is presented "wide" and there is a dropdown arrow next to the gear I can consistently find it by doing an NVDA search using "settings" as my search criterion. NVDA throws focus on to the button, announcing, "Menu Button collapsed, submenu settings." If one then hits Enter the dropdown menu appears and you can arrow up or down through it.

On other Google pages, e.g., Drive, where it does not appear as a stand alone button but as a button on a toolbar I get myself into Browse mode and either use B or SHIFT+B to traverse buttons until I land on the settings button in the toolbar, which is announced, "Toolbar Settings Menu Button collapsed submenu." Again if you hit enter the settings menu itself will open. There's got to be a better way than this but I've not practiced enough with the touch cursor features yet, which might prove helpful here. There aren't that many buttons on most of these pages so resorting to a brute force search traversal is not an all day affair.

--
Brian

I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never enough to keep up.

~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe"


Re: question regarding windows defender

Brian's Mail list account BY <bglists@...>
 

It also goes without saying that of course, no matter whose malicious software stopper you have, the enemy are trying to design around them all the time and there has to be somebody who gets bitten before the anti virus can be updated to spot it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 2:25 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] question regarding windows defender


I haven't seen any reputable source say that it works better. On the rare occasions I have seen it commented on, the same comments were made about its quality as for Windows Defender. From what I've read, it is about identical to Windows Defender. I'm not telling people to use it or not, I'm saying that I've seen nothing indicating that it is an improvement. Also, you don't cite any sources. If you are siting your own experience, we don't know what that is nor why it might change over time. It cannot be evaluated. You may be using the Internet differently now than in the past. So you may be running across less malicious sites.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: HBotma
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 12:03 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] question regarding windows defender


Hi

Windows Defender is the replacement for Microsoft Security Essentials
in Windows 10. It works better than MSE and takes off most viruses.
There was only one time that I had to use additional security to
remove a virus. In addition, it is very accessible with NVDA.

Regards

Heaven

On 6/7/16, Patrick Le Baudour <p.lebaudour@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

In Windows 10, Windows Defender is indeed also an antivirus program. It
is activated by default if there is no other antivirus.

-- Patrick

Le 07/06/2016 à 23:17, marvin kotler a écrit :
Good afternoon list. First, running windows ten and the latest version
of nvda. My question is is windows defender an antivirus program along
with its other things? If not, what is free and accessible with nvda.
Any help would be appreciated;
Marv



Re: CodeFactory Vocalizer

Isaac <bigikemusic@...>
 

You should expect super terrible customer service, as they sold me a copy of the software, and when I told them it mucked up the other vocalizer by tiflatechnia, I asked them to convert me to the eloquense license until they got things straight. THey also said they were working on my issue and I've gotten no progress reports, so in the past I recommended them, now not.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Shook" <chris0309@samobile.net>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 9:15 PM
Subject: [nvda] CodeFactory Vocalizer


Hi,
Does anyone own the CodeFactory of Vocalizer? If I purchase the product, what should I expect?
Thanks
Chris


CodeFactory Vocalizer

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>
 

Hi,
Does anyone own the CodeFactory of Vocalizer? If I purchase the product, what should I expect?
Thanks
Chris


Re: Google's Gear Icon

Gene
 

I don't know what is available from Joseph Lee's tutorial regarding your interests but he has covered topics such as object navigation.  You can see and download whatever you are interested in at this address:
 
Gene

Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 2:18 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Google's Gear Icon

Gene,

            Have any proposals on the tutorial front?

            There are things I have found that I cannot search for, regardless of what I've tried, and there are some things in the new universal apps that are not lending themselves to conventional systematic methods.  If there's something out there dedicated to this, even if it's partial, that's better than nothing given that we are in a major state of transition with certain aspects of the Windows interface.  Web coding is another story of its own, and is a moving target, too.
--
Brian

I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never enough to keep up.

         ~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe"

    



Re: Vocaliser for NVDA

Rui Fontes
 

Correct. The only thing in common between our product and Code Factory
product is the utilization of Vocalizer Expressive.

The driver for NVDA, the licensing systen, and the technical are very
different.

Regards,

Rui Fontes
Tiflotecnia, Lda.



-----Mensagem Original-----
De: Aidan
Data: quarta-feira, 8 de junho de 2016 20:57
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Assunto: Re: [nvda] Vocaliser for NVDA

You would have to ask them, as their vocalizer is a seprit product
from these, actually I don't know the differences

On 08/06/2016, Chris Shook <chris0309@samobile.net> wrote:
Will the upgrade apply to CodeFactory as well?
Chris



--
Facebook: m.facebook.com/aidan.maher92
Skype: andries4451
Twitter: smarttalk7
Audioboo: www.audioboo.com/DjSpotlight


Re: Vocaliser for NVDA

Aidan <aidan.smarttalk@...>
 

You would have to ask them, as their vocalizer is a seprit product
from these, actually I don't know the differences

On 08/06/2016, Chris Shook <chris0309@samobile.net> wrote:
Will the upgrade apply to CodeFactory as well?
Chris



--
Facebook: m.facebook.com/aidan.maher92
Skype: andries4451
Twitter: smarttalk7
Audioboo: www.audioboo.com/DjSpotlight


Re: Google's Gear Icon

 

Gene,

            Have any proposals on the tutorial front?

            There are things I have found that I cannot search for, regardless of what I've tried, and there are some things in the new universal apps that are not lending themselves to conventional systematic methods.  If there's something out there dedicated to this, even if it's partial, that's better than nothing given that we are in a major state of transition with certain aspects of the Windows interface.  Web coding is another story of its own, and is a moving target, too.
--
Brian

I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never enough to keep up.

         ~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe"

    



Re: Google's Gear Icon

Gene
 

It should be pointed out that while there are times when you need to use object navigation or perhaps mouse navigation on a web page, the vast majority of navigation doesn't require any such means.  If you are using object navigation or some other form than browse mode often, you are not using browse mode fully and you are making unnecessary work for yourself.  People would save themselves a lot of time in the future if they would spend time now learning in a systematic manner with a good tutorial or by using a text document if they prefer such as the user manual. 
 
Gene
 


Re: question regarding windows defender

Gene
 

I made a mistake in my last message in this thread, as someone pointed out.  There is an old program named Windows Defender that can be run in older versions of Windows.  That is not the same program as the new Windows Defender.  The old Windows Defender is worse.  The New Windows Defender, for use in Windows 10 is just about identical to Microsoft Security Essentials and it replaces Microsoft Security essentials in Windows 10.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 8:25 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] question regarding windows defender

I haven't seen any reputable source say that it works better.  On the rare occasions I have seen it commented on, the same comments were made about its quality as for Windows Defender.  From what I've read, it is about identical to Windows Defender.  I'm not telling people to use it or not, I'm saying that I've seen nothing indicating that it is an improvement.  Also, you don't cite any sources.  If you are siting your own experience, we don't know what that is nor why it might change over time.  It cannot be evaluated.  You may be using the Internet differently now than in the past.  So you may be running across less malicious sites. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: HBotma
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 12:03 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] question regarding windows defender

Hi

Windows Defender is the replacement for Microsoft Security Essentials
in Windows 10.  It works better than MSE and takes off most viruses.
There was only one time that I had to use additional security to
remove a virus.  In addition, it is very accessible with NVDA.

Regards

Heaven

On 6/7/16, Patrick Le Baudour <p.lebaudour@...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Windows 10, Windows Defender is indeed also an antivirus program. It
> is activated by default if there is no other antivirus.
>
> -- Patrick
>
> Le 07/06/2016 à 23:17, marvin kotler a écrit :
>> Good afternoon list.  First, running windows ten and the latest version
>> of nvda.  My question is is windows defender an antivirus program along
>> with its other things? If not, what is free and accessible with nvda.
>> Any help would be appreciated;
>> Marv
>>
>
>
>
>




Re: NVDA-2016.2 Slows Down with Firefox

Andre Fisher
 

NVDA is not being unresponsive, your computer is. These types of
activities are certainly not recommended for older operating systems.
What's more? You are using an outdated version of NVDA.

On 6/8/16, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com> wrote:
hi.
i tested your problem and took the same result.
i use windows xp not powerful hardware nvda 2015.3 and firefox 41.
when i open many apps together nvda becomes very slow, not responsive
and difficult to use.
it happens specially for example: when i am sending one file in the
skype and also opened many apps and many tab in my firefox browser.
in most cases, i quit nvda and open it again to resolve the issue.
also sometimes maybe you open a graphical website that makes your
system slow and its very hevy to load.
hope thats help and god bless you.

On 6/8/16, Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:
NVdA, if it slows down, doesn't slow down as you reported last year.
I've
never seen the kinds of slow downs you described last year attributed to
NVDA.

Gene


From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 2:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA-2016.2 Slows Down with Firefox


I haven't noticed this so much with Firefox, but I have noticed this a
couple times over the last few days in the ordinary system. I don't have
heaps of RAM like the person who gave their specs, but I have had this
problem crop up every now and again over the years. Usually, I can
restart NVDA without having to restart the computer, but when it came to
my Braille Display, things would lock up to the point where I'd have to
restart the entire system, sometimes requiring sighted help to do so. If
this hasn't been just me, then all those scans I did last year to try
and make everything run faster weren't effective because it wasn't my
system's fault. It was NVDA not responding. That is, of course, if the
problems are more widespread than I first thought.


On 8/06/2016 5:08 PM, Mário Navarro wrote:


NVDA is not just slow in browsers, but also in the system.
after browsing for a while, it starts to get slow and I have to turn
off and on to get normal again.
and my pc is a good machine with I5 processor, 4 RAM ..
with jaws these occurrences do not happen.
I now use the jaws 17 full-time for these reasons.
jaws is not slow in any situation like this occurred with NVDA.

I only use 3 extras.
I do not need anything else.

NVDA is getting slower and every a new version.
this makes me worry.

I think the team of NVDA has to think about this with more seriously.

cheers.
Às 01:25 de 08/06/2016, Kwork escreveu:
Yes, but I've had this behavior in all three of the main browsers,
with both
NVDA and Jaws, so I just close and re-open Firefox, my main browser,
once in
a while, and only use the others when necessary.
Win 7, 64-bit.
Travis
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob" <captinlogic@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 9:03 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA-2016.2 Slows Down with Firefox


System: Windows 7, NVDA 2016.2, Firefox, any version.
This has always been an ongoing problem, but it seems to be more
prevalent
now.
If you have a number of tabs open in Firefox, NVDA will begin to slow
down
appreciably in the program. Responses to key presses are delayed and
using
the browser becomes problematic and inefficient. The only solution is
to
restart firefox.
In previous versions of NVDA, this decrease in responsivness took a
while to
manifest--sometimes I could work for a whole day and NVDA would not
slow
down until the next.
However, now it barely takes six to ten hours for this slowness to
occur.
The only way to reproduce this step is to to work in Firefox for a
while,
with a number of tabs open.
I do not know if this same slowness occurs in Internet Explorer,
Chrome or
Edge.
I would like to know if others have experienced this decrease in
performance, and what--if any--solutions are available to counteract
this
problem.






.






--
Those who follow the Messenger-Prophet, the Ummi, whom they find
written down with them in the Taurat and the Injeel [who] enjoins them
good and forbids them evil, and makes lawful to them the good things
and makes unlawful to them impure things, and removes from them their
burden and the shackles which were upon them; so [as for] those who
believe in him and honor him and help him, and follow the light which
has been sent down with him, these it is that are the successful.
holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org




Re: Vocaliser for NVDA

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>
 

Will the upgrade apply to CodeFactory as well?
Chris


Re: Arabic and Turkish voices now available via Acapela TTS for NVDA v1.3

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>
 

Hi,
The license does fine with the windows upgrade. I didn't have any problems after upgrading to Windows 10.
Chris


Re: espeak n g no good it sneezes on some words

 

hi.
i use iven3 which is the best voice and also with default rate of nvda
which is 30!
its very perfect for me.

On 6/7/16, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@gmail.com> wrote:
I have replaced the data from old espeak over and the syntth works a lot
better one person had trouble however, espeak at least the word stuff
works as I expect it so I am not to worried.



On 8/06/2016 3:31 a.m., Pete wrote:

as the s line says espeak n g makes a buzzing or sneezing sound along
with some words.
NOT COOL AT ALL
along with the funny noises the voice flutters
This is default espeakng max voice set to en...
windows 7 x64 pro clean install
nvda installed using default settings except for speed set to 100
percent
Can I replace the espeak n g with the older one by copying the old one
over the new one in the program files x86 \ nvda folder?
Thanks for any help!
Pete




.


--
Those who follow the Messenger-Prophet, the Ummi, whom they find
written down with them in the Taurat and the Injeel [who] enjoins them
good and forbids them evil, and makes lawful to them the good things
and makes unlawful to them impure things, and removes from them their
burden and the shackles which were upon them; so [as for] those who
believe in him and honor him and help him, and follow the light which
has been sent down with him, these it is that are the successful.
holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org


Re: NVDA-2016.2 Slows Down with Firefox

 

hi.
i tested your problem and took the same result.
i use windows xp not powerful hardware nvda 2015.3 and firefox 41.
when i open many apps together nvda becomes very slow, not responsive
and difficult to use.
it happens specially for example: when i am sending one file in the
skype and also opened many apps and many tab in my firefox browser.
in most cases, i quit nvda and open it again to resolve the issue.
also sometimes maybe you open a graphical website that makes your
system slow and its very hevy to load.
hope thats help and god bless you.

On 6/8/16, Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:
NVdA, if it slows down, doesn't slow down as you reported last year. I've
never seen the kinds of slow downs you described last year attributed to
NVDA.

Gene


From: Sharni-Lee Ward
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 2:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA-2016.2 Slows Down with Firefox


I haven't noticed this so much with Firefox, but I have noticed this a
couple times over the last few days in the ordinary system. I don't have
heaps of RAM like the person who gave their specs, but I have had this
problem crop up every now and again over the years. Usually, I can
restart NVDA without having to restart the computer, but when it came to
my Braille Display, things would lock up to the point where I'd have to
restart the entire system, sometimes requiring sighted help to do so. If
this hasn't been just me, then all those scans I did last year to try
and make everything run faster weren't effective because it wasn't my
system's fault. It was NVDA not responding. That is, of course, if the
problems are more widespread than I first thought.


On 8/06/2016 5:08 PM, Mário Navarro wrote:


NVDA is not just slow in browsers, but also in the system.
after browsing for a while, it starts to get slow and I have to turn
off and on to get normal again.
and my pc is a good machine with I5 processor, 4 RAM ..
with jaws these occurrences do not happen.
I now use the jaws 17 full-time for these reasons.
jaws is not slow in any situation like this occurred with NVDA.

I only use 3 extras.
I do not need anything else.

NVDA is getting slower and every a new version.
this makes me worry.

I think the team of NVDA has to think about this with more seriously.

cheers.
Às 01:25 de 08/06/2016, Kwork escreveu:
Yes, but I've had this behavior in all three of the main browsers,
with both
NVDA and Jaws, so I just close and re-open Firefox, my main browser,
once in
a while, and only use the others when necessary.
Win 7, 64-bit.
Travis
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob" <captinlogic@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 9:03 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA-2016.2 Slows Down with Firefox


System: Windows 7, NVDA 2016.2, Firefox, any version.
This has always been an ongoing problem, but it seems to be more
prevalent
now.
If you have a number of tabs open in Firefox, NVDA will begin to slow
down
appreciably in the program. Responses to key presses are delayed and
using
the browser becomes problematic and inefficient. The only solution is to
restart firefox.
In previous versions of NVDA, this decrease in responsivness took a
while to
manifest--sometimes I could work for a whole day and NVDA would not slow
down until the next.
However, now it barely takes six to ten hours for this slowness to
occur.
The only way to reproduce this step is to to work in Firefox for a
while,
with a number of tabs open.
I do not know if this same slowness occurs in Internet Explorer,
Chrome or
Edge.
I would like to know if others have experienced this decrease in
performance, and what--if any--solutions are available to counteract
this
problem.






.





--
Those who follow the Messenger-Prophet, the Ummi, whom they find
written down with them in the Taurat and the Injeel [who] enjoins them
good and forbids them evil, and makes lawful to them the good things
and makes unlawful to them impure things, and removes from them their
burden and the shackles which were upon them; so [as for] those who
believe in him and honor him and help him, and follow the light which
has been sent down with him, these it is that are the successful.
holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org


Re: Google's Gear Icon

 

Gary,

          You're quite welcome.  I learn more by trying to figure out the answers to questions such as yours than I do from "just playing around."

          If anyone does know a more efficient method that "brute force button search" for the toolbar buttons please do let me know.  Also, I long ago printed out the Quick Reference for 2016.1, but somehow am not seeing (or recognizing) the material related to the touch cursor, unless that's synonymous with Object Navigation (which I still don't quite have the hang of).  Pointers to any good resources or tutorials on this would be much appreciated as it seems that these are often the key to getting at buttons and other bits in the new universal apps that are not accessible otherwise.
--
Brian

I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never enough to keep up.

         ~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe"

    



Re: how to get true voice working in nvda

Rui Fontes
 

You have dutch voices in Vocalizer for NVDA.

Best regards,


Rui Fontes
Tiflotecnia, Lda.


-----Mensagem Original-----
De: Tomas janssen
Data: segunda-feira, 6 de junho de 2016 16:46
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Assunto: Re: [nvda] how to get true voice working in nvda

Hi. Are there dutch voices asswell ? Regards

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 6 jun. 2016 om 16:41 heeft Bobby <bvinton@optonline.net> het volgende
geschreven:

Well you can get true voice at www.grossgang.com. His name is Jake gross.
Just click on the link that says tts and down the page you should see a
link called sapi voices. Good luck




Re: Google's Gear Icon

Gary Bowers <gdbowers@...>
 

Thanks, Brian. That really was a helpful reply and I appreciate it.

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 9:02 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Google's Gear Icon

Gary,

The answer to this depends on which Google pages you're talking about. On pages such as Gmail's page and the Google Calendar, where the button is presented "wide" and there is a dropdown arrow next to the gear I can consistently find it by doing an NVDA search using "settings" as my search criterion. NVDA throws focus on to the button, announcing, "Menu Button collapsed, submenu settings." If one then hits Enter the dropdown menu appears and you can arrow up or down through it.

On other Google pages, e.g., Drive, where it does not appear as a stand alone button but as a button on a toolbar I get myself into Browse mode and either use B or SHIFT+B to traverse buttons until I land on the settings button in the toolbar, which is announced, "Toolbar Settings Menu Button collapsed submenu." Again if you hit enter the settings menu itself will open. There's got to be a better way than this but I've not practiced enough with the touch cursor features yet, which might prove helpful here. There aren't that many buttons on most of these pages so resorting to a brute force search traversal is not an all day affair.

--
Brian

I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never enough to keep up.

~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe"


Re: Google's Gear Icon

 

Gary,

          The answer to this depends on which Google pages you're talking about.  On pages such as Gmail's page and the Google Calendar, where the button is presented "wide" and there is a dropdown arrow next to the gear I can consistently find it by doing an NVDA search using "settings" as my search criterion.  NVDA throws focus on to the button, announcing, "Menu Button collapsed, submenu settings."  If one then hits Enter the dropdown menu appears and you can arrow up or down through it.

          On other Google pages, e.g., Drive, where it does not appear as a stand alone button but as a button on a toolbar I get myself into Browse mode and either use B or SHIFT+B to traverse buttons until I land on the settings button in the toolbar, which is announced, "Toolbar Settings Menu  Button collapsed submenu."  Again if you hit enter the settings menu itself will open.   There's got to be a better way than this but I've not practiced enough with the touch cursor features yet, which might prove helpful here.  There aren't that many buttons on most of these pages so resorting to a brute force search traversal is not an all day affair.

--
Brian

I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never enough to keep up.

         ~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe"