Date   

Re: Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

Hope Williamson
 

I'm also on 68.12.0. I won't update to 78 until it automatically puts me
there.


Re: Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

Gene
 

In the view menu, is a submenu called Status Bars.  Press enter on it and look through the items.  You will find what you are looking for.


Gene

On 9/1/2020 2:51 PM, Hope Williamson wrote:
For some reason I can't remember how to turn off status bars, nor do I
know where to go to turn them off in the message window. Can someone
explain? Thanks!!


Re: Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

Hope Williamson
 

For some reason I can't remember how to turn off status bars, nor do I
know where to go to turn them off in the message window. Can someone
explain? Thanks!!


Re: Work with audio editors in professional way with Nvda possible or not?

CARLOS-ESTEBAN <carlosestebanpianista@...>
 

I am agree with the use of Reaper. If you install Osara, you can use this very Good program.

I am also use Audacity, and if you go to use Gold Wave, you can install the NVDA Add-on Gold Wave from Josef Lee.

A developer have an addon no official for Audacity (Audacity Access Enhancement’s).

Regards.

 

 

Enviado desde Correo para Windows 10

NVDA certified expert 2019

 

De: Luke Davis
Enviado: martes, 1 de septiembre de 2020 11:11
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Asunto: Re: [nvda] Work with audio editors in professional way with Nvda possible or not?

 

Certainly. I use Audacity for moderate projects, but the thing you should be

looking into is Reaper.

 

Luke

 

 

 


Re: VPN services accessible with NVDA using Google Chrome or Firefox under Windows 10

Stephen
 

I don't know about proton-VPN, but I would imagine it would.
 
 
 
 

----- Original Message -----
From: Dennis Clark <dennis@...>
Sent: 9/2/2020 3:29:59 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] VPN services accessible with NVDA using Google Chrome or Firefox under Windows 10

Hello Stephen,

This is very encouraging. Do you know if openVPN works with other VPN services such as protonVPN? I will take a look on the expressVPN website about using it with their service.

Dennis


On 8/29/2020 5:33 PM, Stephen wrote:
You don't have to use the expressVPN control panel, you can actually use open VPN.
There are some instructions on how to do this on the express VPN website after you log in.
 
 
 
----- Original Message -----
From: Giles Turnbull <giles.turnbull@...>
Sent: 8/29/2020 11:40:06 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] VPN services accessible with NVDA using Google Chrome or Firefox under Windows 10

I subscribed to Express VPN for a year when I knew I'd be using a university wifi during the 2018/19 academic year. I found it bvarely useable with NVDA ... none of its buttons were labeled. I did figure out which button activated the VPN but in the end I gave up! If I recall, object navigation was necessary even to find the buttons.

Giles


Re: VPN services accessible with NVDA using Google Chrome or Firefox under Windows 10

Stephen
 

IF you don't like express vpn's interface, you can use open-VPN with it instead.
There are some instructions on how to use it on express vpn's website.
 
 
 

----- Original Message -----
From: Dennis Clark <dennis@...>
Sent: 9/2/2020 3:25:39 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] VPN services accessible with NVDA using Google Chrome or Firefox under Windows 10

Hello Giles,

This is very helpful information. This is one of the most popular VPN services, but I am not surprised that its ap may be a problem. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Dennis


On 8/29/2020 6:40 AM, Giles Turnbull wrote:
I subscribed to Express VPN for a year when I knew I'd be using a university wifi during the 2018/19 academic year. I found it bvarely useable with NVDA ... none of its buttons were labeled. I did figure out which button activated the VPN but in the end I gave up! If I recall, object navigation was necessary even to find the buttons.

Giles


Re: Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

Ralf Kefferpuetz
 

There is no automatic update from 68 to 78 for thunderbird. That will be released in a few weeks. With other words there is currently no update process from 68 to 78 with keeping the 68 configuration.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Dienstag, 1. September 2020 19:24
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

 

Well, then the folks at Tbird have the most bizarre release channel I've ever dealt with.  I've been on release channel for years, with automatic updating, and if I go to the Help, About dialog (ALT+H,A), I watch the check being done and am told that Thunderbird is up to date.  I am on 68.12.0 32-bit.

That's one heck of a primary version jump, from 68 to 78, so I can't explain it if it's not the beta channel, unless we're talking 64-bit, which the folks at Tbird used to recommend you not use, I believe.  It gets confusing when you've had something on a given machine for a long period of time.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

 


Re: Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

Gene
 

For awhile, version 78.x was available on the web site but that version wasn't distributed through the updater. I don't know why it was offered on the nonbeta part of the web site but not to the downloader. I even saw something somewhere on the mozilla site saying that that was the case so it wasn't an oversight. I don't know what the updater is offering now.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Kostadin Kolev
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 12:12 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Extra verbosity in Thunderbird



Hello Brian,

Actually, the stable version 78 of Thunderbird has been released for a while now. I'm using it and in its "About" box it states that I'm on the "release" channel. I've updated it manually from v68 to v78 though. If I'm not mistaking, the automatic update will offer v78 when v78.2 is released, which happened recently. But I haven't heard from my friends that use Thunderbird that their version has updated to v78. That doesn't mean that it hasn't - it only means that they haven't told me yet if it did or not. Furthermore, when I now went to Thunderbird's website and clicked on the download link, the version offered there was 78.2.1. So, Thunderbird 78 stable has definitely been released to the public.


______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 1.9.2020 г. в 19:41, Brian Vogel написа:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 06:40 PM, Governor staten wrote:
I'm running Thunderbird 78.2.0, and have same issues.-
And if this version number is correct, then you're not on the release update channel, which is at 68.12.0, but the beta channel, which can have a raft of issues that the release channel does not, or have fixed issues that the release channel still has.

One can determine what channel they're on using ALT+H,A to bring up the About Thunderbird dialog. Right after the part where your version number is shown, and the status message regarding whether you're at the most recent update or have one pending, is a line that reads, "You are on the release update channel," where release will be "beta" instead if you're using the beta channel.

This issue had definitely been resolved, at one point, and there is a topic on here that I'm sure will contain the keywords "Thunderbird verbosity" besides this one that cover the back and forth or resolve it. I filed issues on this one, and it isn't truly ancient history, at least not yet.
--


Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.

~ Oscar Wilde


Re: Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

Gene
 

Good. then you don't have to experiment with my idea, which I was very skeptical would work.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Logue
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 11:19 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Extra verbosity in Thunderbird



Hi Kostadin. Thanks for the info about status bars in different areas of Thunderbird. I just turned it off in the message reading window. This fixed my verbosity problem.




I have not reported to Mozilla so far.




Bob









On 2020-08-31 1:26 p.m., Kostadin Kolev wrote:


Hello all,

I also have the status bar of Thunderbird showing in the program's main window and I don't observe the described behavior. But I'm reading messages from the main window of Thunderbird (via the message list and the message pane). Most screen reader users seam to read messages in a separate window. And we come to the main thing here - the option to show/hide the status bar in Thunderbird is independent for the separate Thunderbird windows like the main window, the optional separate window for message reading, the message composer window, etc. So, if you've disabled the status bar from within Thunderbird's main window, it will not affect its behavior for the message reading window and it will probably still be visible in it. And if you're reading messages from within that message reading window, this may be why you still hear those messages - the status bar is still shown for the message reading window.

Mind you, this automatic speaking of status bar messages should not be happening even with the status bar shown It was fixed for the main window of Thunderbird, but not for the other windows like the ones for message reading and for composing a message. This should be reported to and fixed by the Thunderbird developers. Has anyone done that? If not, I may do it these days. The only place that I find this automatic speaking of status bar messages useful is in the a"Advanced Search" window, where thanks to those messages I know the status of the performed search, without needing to manually read the status bar.


______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 31.8.2020 г. в 22:07, Hope Williamson написа:
Yeah I have the same issue. It's pretty annoying. Especially when it
keeps saying downloading however many messages. I tried turning off the
status bar thing, and it still does it.


Re: Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

Gene
 

The only thing I can think of that might possibly work is to turn report dynamic content changes off, though I'm just about sure it won't help to turn it off. But you can try. The toggle is NVDA key 5 on the main keyboard.

Of course, you could downgrade to a version of the program that doesn't have the problem. You could get the portable version so you could leave your current installation undisturbed and update it to see if the problem is solved while continuing to use the portable version. I suspect that this may be an Aria live region but I am not aware that NVDA has a setting to turn reading of live regions off. It should.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Logue
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 11:11 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

I tried turning off everything I could find that might stop the extra
speech in both Thunderbird and NVDA settings. I unchecked just about
everything I thought was relevant including status bar.


I tried using screen review mode to find the notification style text
being spoken. No luck there.


What other tools does NVDA have to control this kind of verbosity in
programs?


Bob



On 2020-08-31 1:07 p.m., Hope Williamson wrote:
Yeah I have the same issue. It's pretty annoying. Especially when it
keeps saying downloading however many messages. I tried turning off the
status bar thing, and it still does it.



Re: VPN services accessible with NVDA using Google Chrome or Firefox under Windows 10

Dennis Clark
 

Hello,

This is a VPN service I haven't read about. I will definitely take a look.

Thanks

Dennis


On 8/29/2020 7:27 PM, Socheat Muth wrote:

I'm not sure about other VPNS you've mentioned, but the one I'm using right now is a VPN based New York, called VPN unlimited. Their app is usable, if you downloaded it from the Microsoft's store.

Hope that helps.

On 8/29/2020 4:01 PM, Dennis Clark wrote:
Hello everyone,
I'm curious to learn which VPN services you have found accessible using NVDA and Google Chrome or Firefox. Three VPN services which have been recomended by sighted users are ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, and NordVPN. Do any of you who actually use NVDA have experience with the accessibility of these particular services. Of course any other VPN services that you have tried that are accessible or unaccessible would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance. 
Dennis
 


Re: VPN services accessible with NVDA using Google Chrome or Firefox under Windows 10

Dennis Clark
 

Hello Stephen,

This is very encouraging. Do you know if openVPN works with other VPN services such as protonVPN? I will take a look on the expressVPN website about using it with their service.

Dennis


On 8/29/2020 5:33 PM, Stephen wrote:
You don't have to use the expressVPN control panel, you can actually use open VPN.
There are some instructions on how to do this on the express VPN website after you log in.
 
 
 
----- Original Message -----
From: Giles Turnbull <giles.turnbull@...>
Sent: 8/29/2020 11:40:06 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] VPN services accessible with NVDA using Google Chrome or Firefox under Windows 10

I subscribed to Express VPN for a year when I knew I'd be using a university wifi during the 2018/19 academic year. I found it bvarely useable with NVDA ... none of its buttons were labeled. I did figure out which button activated the VPN but in the end I gave up! If I recall, object navigation was necessary even to find the buttons.

Giles


Re: Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

 

I'm going to force an update to Version 78 in a few moments after the download completes.  As you say, when you go to the Thunderbird Download Page, it's downloading the installer for 78.2.1.

I will admit to being utterly incorrect about the latest version number, but have never experienced a "failure to update" like this in the past.  Tbird has always nagged me when I fire it up when newer versions are available.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

 


Re: VPN services accessible with NVDA using Google Chrome or Firefox under Windows 10

Dennis Clark
 

Hello Giles,

This is very helpful information. This is one of the most popular VPN services, but I am not surprised that its ap may be a problem. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Dennis


On 8/29/2020 6:40 AM, Giles Turnbull wrote:
I subscribed to Express VPN for a year when I knew I'd be using a university wifi during the 2018/19 academic year. I found it bvarely useable with NVDA ... none of its buttons were labeled. I did figure out which button activated the VPN but in the end I gave up! If I recall, object navigation was necessary even to find the buttons.

Giles


Re: Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

 

Well, then the folks at Tbird have the most bizarre release channel I've ever dealt with.  I've been on release channel for years, with automatic updating, and if I go to the Help, About dialog (ALT+H,A), I watch the check being done and am told that Thunderbird is up to date.  I am on 68.12.0 32-bit.

That's one heck of a primary version jump, from 68 to 78, so I can't explain it if it's not the beta channel, unless we're talking 64-bit, which the folks at Tbird used to recommend you not use, I believe.  It gets confusing when you've had something on a given machine for a long period of time.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

 


Re: Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

 

Hello Brian,

Actually, the stable version 78 of Thunderbird has been released for a while now. I'm using it and in its "About" box it states that I'm on the "release" channel. I've updated it manually from v68 to v78 though. If I'm not mistaking, the automatic update will offer v78 when v78.2 is released, which happened recently. But I haven't heard from my friends that use Thunderbird that their version has updated to v78. That doesn't mean that it hasn't - it only means that they haven't told me yet if it did or not. Furthermore, when I now went to Thunderbird's website and clicked on the download link, the version offered there was 78.2.1. So, Thunderbird 78 stable has definitely been released to the public.

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 1.9.2020 г. в 19:41, Brian Vogel написа:

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 06:40 PM, Governor staten wrote:
I'm running Thunderbird 78.2.0, and have same issues.
-
And if this version number is correct, then you're not on the release update channel, which is at 68.12.0, but the beta channel, which can have a raft of issues that the release channel does not, or have fixed issues that the release channel still has.

One can determine what channel they're on using ALT+H,A to bring up the About Thunderbird dialog.  Right after the part where your version number is shown, and the status message regarding whether you're at the most recent update or have one pending, is a line that reads, "You are on the release update channel," where release will be "beta" instead if you're using the beta channel.

This issue had definitely been resolved, at one point, and there is a topic on here that I'm sure will contain the keywords "Thunderbird verbosity" besides this one that cover the back and forth or resolve it.  I filed issues on this one, and it isn't truly ancient history, at least not yet.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

 


Re: Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

 

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 06:40 PM, Governor staten wrote:
I'm running Thunderbird 78.2.0, and have same issues.
-
And if this version number is correct, then you're not on the release update channel, which is at 68.12.0, but the beta channel, which can have a raft of issues that the release channel does not, or have fixed issues that the release channel still has.

One can determine what channel they're on using ALT+H,A to bring up the About Thunderbird dialog.  Right after the part where your version number is shown, and the status message regarding whether you're at the most recent update or have one pending, is a line that reads, "You are on the release update channel," where release will be "beta" instead if you're using the beta channel.

This issue had definitely been resolved, at one point, and there is a topic on here that I'm sure will contain the keywords "Thunderbird verbosity" besides this one that cover the back and forth or resolve it.  I filed issues on this one, and it isn't truly ancient history, at least not yet.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

 


Re: Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

Robert Logue
 

Hi Kostadin. Thanks for the info about status bars in different areas of Thunderbird.  I just turned it off in the message reading window.  This fixed my verbosity problem.


I have not reported to Mozilla so far.


Bob




On 2020-08-31 1:26 p.m., Kostadin Kolev wrote:

Hello all,

I also have the status bar of Thunderbird showing in the program's main window and I don't observe the described behavior. But I'm reading messages from the main window of Thunderbird (via the message list and the message pane). Most screen reader users seam to read messages in a separate window. And we come to the main thing here - the option to show/hide the status bar in Thunderbird is independent for the separate Thunderbird windows like the main window, the optional separate window for message reading, the message composer window, etc. So, if you've disabled the status bar from within Thunderbird's main window, it will not affect its behavior for the message reading window and it will probably still be visible in it. And if you're reading messages from within that message reading window, this may be why you still hear those messages - the status bar is still shown for the message reading window.

Mind you, this automatic speaking of status bar messages should not be happening even with the status bar shown It was fixed for the main window of Thunderbird, but not for the other windows like the ones for message reading and for composing a message. This should be reported to and fixed by the Thunderbird developers. Has anyone done that? If not, I may do it these days. The only place that I find this automatic speaking of status bar messages useful is in the a"Advanced Search" window, where thanks to those messages I know the status of the performed search, without needing to manually read the status bar.

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 31.8.2020 г. в 22:07, Hope Williamson написа:
Yeah I have the same issue. It's pretty annoying. Especially when it
keeps saying downloading however many messages. I tried turning off the
status bar thing, and it still does it.




Re: Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

Robert Logue
 

I tried turning off everything I could find that might stop the extra speech in both Thunderbird and NVDA settings.  I unchecked just about everything I thought was relevant including status bar.


I tried using screen review mode to find the notification style text being spoken. No luck there.


What other tools does NVDA have to control this kind of verbosity in programs?


Bob

On 2020-08-31 1:07 p.m., Hope Williamson wrote:
Yeah I have the same issue. It's pretty annoying. Especially when it
keeps saying downloading however many messages. I tried turning off the
status bar thing, and it still does it.


Re: Work with audio editors in professional way with Nvda possible or not?

Luke Davis
 

Certainly. I use Audacity for moderate projects, but the thing you should be looking into is Reaper.

Luke

9801 - 9820 of 86606