Date   

Re: Setting global speech rate across various profiles

 

In time: it would be nice to have such information on the Userguide, that if no value is established, NVDA will assume that it should use the one from the General profile.
It's sort of expected but even so, in cases like this one from this thread, IMHO it would be nice to know it beforehand.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!


Re: Setting global speech rate across various profiles

 

Quentin,
If I am in Word (and don't have a profile for Word), and change the speech rate, that change will be reflected in Firefox (albeit using eSpeak NG in Firefox) because I hadn't set a speech rate in my Firefox profile.
Ah now it makes sense!
So basically, a profile will just assume what it knows about your settings for that program. So if, for example, you have a profile for Firefox but you haven't set a certain speed for the synthesizer, it will assume that you want to use the one from the General profile.

Again, just me being slow! LOL
Thanks fo r always making me understanding things!

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!


Re: NVDA and "Skip Ad" button on youtube

Jaffar Sidek
 

Hi Quentin.  I have been using Chrome for quite a while and so i can't tell you if Chrome is the culprit or not since  the button is still seen by  JFW.  For me at least, NVDA seems to no longer read the button correctly since the early 2019 version, so if it was a chrome or youtube update, won't JFW face the same issue then?  The "Clickable" word to me is not an issue for me right now as I depend upon it to tell me that I am on the "Skip ad" button.  Cheers.

On 8/1/2019 2:19 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi Jaffar,

Can you confirm whether the issue is with newer versions of NVDA, or recent updates to YouTube (or your browser)?

Looking at YouTube in FireFox 68.0.1 with NVDA 2019.2rc1, I can see a "Clickable skip ad" button when there is an ad showing.  You can either get to it with tab or b (or shift+tab or shift+b), or you can do an NVDA search for "skip" is usually enough to find it.

For the "clickable" part, if you don't want clickable announced, you can turn that off in NVDA's document settings (NVDA+control+d)

I must admit, I have a YouTube subscription so I haven't seen ads in awhile to know if that behaviour has changed lately.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 3:52 PM Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...> wrote:
Hi.  Not so long ago, with the previous versions, the "Skip ad" button
on youtube could be read by NVDA.  Now however, the newer versions of
NVDA seem to read that particular button just as "Clickable".  It is
rather unfortunate that one has to navigate to the slider which allows
us to skip a video back or forward, then arrow up to the "clickable"
button immediately above the slider to activate it.  The "Skip ad"
button is still recognized by JFW as usual.  Perhaps I am missing
something?  Just letting the NVDA team know.  Cheers!






--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!


Re: Is there a way to set NVDA 2019.2-RC1 to exit focus mode in Skype?

Luke Davis
 

Have you tried setting up a config profile, triggered by Skype, that does one of the following:

* Is saved with browse mode off, so when it triggers browse mode will alrady be off; or
* Has the "Enable browse mode on page load" option disabled?

If a configuration profile will hold either the browse mode state, or that option, that should be a good solution for you.

Luke

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019, John Isige wrote:

So I asked about this Skype issue and Joseph was right. If you hit NVDA-space, it takes NVDA out of focus mode and you can arrow through Skype controls as usual. What's interesting is that it seems to be preserved until restart. That is, when I first get into Skype I have to hit NVDA-space, but once I've done that, it's set until I restart NVDA, even if I close Skype and re-open it again, well, make it minimize to the system tray or whatever it does.


So is there a way to set NVDA to not be in focus mode when I open Skype? I don't know what changed between 2019.1 and 2019.2 so I don't know what setting change(s) to make, or if it's even possible.




Re: Setting global speech rate across various profiles

Quentin Christensen
 

If you have a profile for a particular program, only settings you change while in that program are saved to the profile.  So if I have a profile for Firefox and while in Firefox change from my default synthesizer of OneCore voices to eSpeak NG, anytime Firefox has focus, eSpeak NG will be used.  If I am in Word (and don't have a profile for Word), and change the speech rate, that change will be reflected in Firefox (albeit using eSpeak NG in Firefox) because I hadn't set a speech rate in my Firefox profile.

So a profile for a program will use the default general profile, but then change any settings you have changed whilst in that program.  That, in general, allows the situation the original poster wanted - to be able to NOT set the speech rate in one program but use the general profile's speech rate - the only restriction is if you change the speech rate while in a program with its own profile, the change will be made to THAT program's profile, not the general profile.

It's a bit tricky to explain, but I hope it makes sense!

Quentin.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 3:59 PM Marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:
Quentin,
if I change the speech rate while in Excel, it will ONLY affect the speech rate while Excel, and when I go to Firefox, the speech rate will go revert. If instead, I change the speech rate in Firefox, then the new rate will work in Firefox and Excel.
Why will it work in Firefox and Excel if Excel has its own profile? Confused :(

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!


Re: NVDA and "Skip Ad" button on youtube

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi Jaffar,

Can you confirm whether the issue is with newer versions of NVDA, or recent updates to YouTube (or your browser)?

Looking at YouTube in FireFox 68.0.1 with NVDA 2019.2rc1, I can see a "Clickable skip ad" button when there is an ad showing.  You can either get to it with tab or b (or shift+tab or shift+b), or you can do an NVDA search for "skip" is usually enough to find it.

For the "clickable" part, if you don't want clickable announced, you can turn that off in NVDA's document settings (NVDA+control+d)

I must admit, I have a YouTube subscription so I haven't seen ads in awhile to know if that behaviour has changed lately.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 3:52 PM Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...> wrote:
Hi.  Not so long ago, with the previous versions, the "Skip ad" button
on youtube could be read by NVDA.  Now however, the newer versions of
NVDA seem to read that particular button just as "Clickable".  It is
rather unfortunate that one has to navigate to the slider which allows
us to skip a video back or forward, then arrow up to the "clickable"
button immediately above the slider to activate it.  The "Skip ad"
button is still recognized by JFW as usual.  Perhaps I am missing
something?  Just letting the NVDA team know.  Cheers!






--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!


Re: NVDA and "Skip Ad" button on youtube

molly the blind tech lover
 

hi 😊 in NVDA's document format settings you can set nvda to not announce clickable. but i am not sure how it will read the button..


On Thu, Aug 1, 2019, 1:52 AM Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...> wrote:
Hi.  Not so long ago, with the previous versions, the "Skip ad" button
on youtube could be read by NVDA.  Now however, the newer versions of
NVDA seem to read that particular button just as "Clickable".  It is
rather unfortunate that one has to navigate to the slider which allows
us to skip a video back or forward, then arrow up to the "clickable"
button immediately above the slider to activate it.  The "Skip ad"
button is still recognized by JFW as usual.  Perhaps I am missing
something?  Just letting the NVDA team know.  Cheers!





Re: trouble with NVDA Menu and content being correctly formatted on web pages

 

Scott,
When doing a Windows B I was unable to find the NVDA icon at all. This might be another symptom of the problem.
As Gene suggested it may be that your Systray isn't showing all icons. Have you clicked the Notification Chevron before trying to find the NVDA icon?

Now, to the NVDA Menu. Using older versions of NVDA, I'd have this problem of not being able to access the menu with the keystroke. Even activating the icon on the systay woldn't work.
Usually, restarting NVDA a few good times would solve the problem until the next time which wouldn't take much time to come. So yeah it definitely will help to know which version of NVDA you are using right now.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!


Re: Setting global speech rate across various profiles

 

Quentin,
if I change the speech rate while in Excel, it will ONLY affect the speech rate while Excel, and when I go to Firefox, the speech rate will go revert. If instead, I change the speech rate in Firefox, then the new rate will work in Firefox and Excel.
Why will it work in Firefox and Excel if Excel has its own profile? Confused :(

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!


Re: Setting global speech rate across various profiles

 

Mobeen,
if I go to firefox which is using the normal profile and change the rate, my speech rate changes no longer apply to excel. I have to adjust the rate when I go back in to excel and this would also apply to other custom settings.
So are you saying that, having a profile for Excel, if you change something outside this profile, the change will be valid for the General profile as well?
If so, what a weird situation! I have profiles for Firefox and Thunderbird (Screen Curtain reasons), and my Desktop obviously doesn't have a profile.
I've changed a few settings in both profiles and results are the same. I change my Firefox profile, when I go back to Thunderbird, its profile is triggered. If I go to the Desktop the General profile is activated.
If I make changes to the General profiles they will be carried to the other programs if they don't have their own profiles.
With that being said I'm not sure of what's going on your end, even having reading the entire thread so far.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!


NVDA and "Skip Ad" button on youtube

Jaffar Sidek
 

Hi.  Not so long ago, with the previous versions, the "Skip ad" button on youtube could be read by NVDA.  Now however, the newer versions of NVDA seem to read that particular button just as "Clickable".  It is rather unfortunate that one has to navigate to the slider which allows us to skip a video back or forward, then arrow up to the "clickable" button immediately above the slider to activate it.  The "Skip ad" button is still recognized by JFW as usual.  Perhaps I am missing something?  Just letting the NVDA team know.  Cheers!


Re: Setting global speech rate across various profiles

 

Andre,
Why not just press NVDA+Shift+R when you realise the rate is too slow? This would revert the last saved settings.
Actually, the command is CTRL+NVDA+R. Just a slightly correction :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!


Re: Setting global speech rate across various profiles

g melconian
 

Good to know about.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mobeen Iqbal
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 9:23 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Setting global speech rate across various profiles

 

Hi.

Thanks for the clarification. The problem I have is that because I accidentally changed the rate whilst in excel, NVDA no longer seems to respect the global setting so in your example if I go to firefox which is using the normal profile and change the rate, my speech rate changes no longer apply to excel. I have to adjust the rate when I go back in to excel and this would also apply to other custom settings. To keep things simple, I think the option to have settings apply across the board would be easier to deal with. In jaws for example, the behaviour is that any changes you make via keyboard shortcuts to adjust speech rate apply globally. But if you manually go in to jaws settings for a specific app and change things via the settings dialogues, then those changes apply to that specific app only. Perhaps an option could be introduced which allows you to enable global changes via shortcuts to apply across the board, but if someone wants specific settings they have to go in to the settings dialogue to change the settings permanently? Either that or a priority system could be introduced for profiles where various aspects of settings can be given priority based on the global settings. So for example if the global speech settings have a priority of 1 for excel but I set excel's priority to 2, NVDA would respect my global preferences for a given settings category first. Of course if someone has a way I can revert a certain aspect of excel's settings such as the speech rate instead of me deleting the profile and starting over, please let me know. That would also solve the problem. As things stand, because i accidentally changed my speech rate I have to delete the excel profile and start over, being careful not to change my speech rate or voice settings whilst in excel.

Cheers,,

Mo.

 

On 01/08/2019 03:49, Quentin Christensen wrote:

When you create a profile for a program, it saves only those changes to settings you make while that program is active.

 

So if I have a profile for Excel, and my normal profile I use for everything else, if I change the speech rate while in Excel, it will ONLY affect the speech rate while Excel, and when I go to Firefox, the speech rate will go revert.  If instead, I change the speech rate in Firefox, then the new rate will work in Firefox and Excel.  So, if you change the speech rate while using the "normal" profile, and you haven't changed it while using any other programs with their own rates set, then yes it will work everywhere.

 

There isn't a way that will let you have configuration profiles for different apps to save SOME settings, but not speech rate.  So, the other question perhaps is, which is more important to you: being able to adjust the speech rate at any point and have it apply across the board?  OR having the current restriction on "global" speech rate changes, but being able to set other NVDA settings on a per-program basis?

 

Quentin

 

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 7:09 AM Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@...> wrote:

Hello Everyone.

     I am using NVDA with different profiles for various programs. I am
wondering if there is any way to get NVDA to respect the global speech
rate I have set as I switch between programs? The speech rate is
something I'm not really interested in customising on a per program
basis. At the moment, if I slow the speech rate down then go in to excel
for example, the last speech rate that was set in relation to my excel
profile is loaded. I can see how this would be useful for some but I
would like the option of using the global setting per profile for
certain items if possible. Any replies are much appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Mo.





 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

 

NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!

 


Re: Setting global speech rate across various profiles

Mobeen Iqbal
 

Hi.

Thanks for the clarification. The problem I have is that because I accidentally changed the rate whilst in excel, NVDA no longer seems to respect the global setting so in your example if I go to firefox which is using the normal profile and change the rate, my speech rate changes no longer apply to excel. I have to adjust the rate when I go back in to excel and this would also apply to other custom settings. To keep things simple, I think the option to have settings apply across the board would be easier to deal with. In jaws for example, the behaviour is that any changes you make via keyboard shortcuts to adjust speech rate apply globally. But if you manually go in to jaws settings for a specific app and change things via the settings dialogues, then those changes apply to that specific app only. Perhaps an option could be introduced which allows you to enable global changes via shortcuts to apply across the board, but if someone wants specific settings they have to go in to the settings dialogue to change the settings permanently? Either that or a priority system could be introduced for profiles where various aspects of settings can be given priority based on the global settings. So for example if the global speech settings have a priority of 1 for excel but I set excel's priority to 2, NVDA would respect my global preferences for a given settings category first. Of course if someone has a way I can revert a certain aspect of excel's settings such as the speech rate instead of me deleting the profile and starting over, please let me know. That would also solve the problem. As things stand, because i accidentally changed my speech rate I have to delete the excel profile and start over, being careful not to change my speech rate or voice settings whilst in excel.

Cheers,,

Mo.


On 01/08/2019 03:49, Quentin Christensen wrote:
When you create a profile for a program, it saves only those changes to settings you make while that program is active.

So if I have a profile for Excel, and my normal profile I use for everything else, if I change the speech rate while in Excel, it will ONLY affect the speech rate while Excel, and when I go to Firefox, the speech rate will go revert.  If instead, I change the speech rate in Firefox, then the new rate will work in Firefox and Excel.  So, if you change the speech rate while using the "normal" profile, and you haven't changed it while using any other programs with their own rates set, then yes it will work everywhere.

There isn't a way that will let you have configuration profiles for different apps to save SOME settings, but not speech rate.  So, the other question perhaps is, which is more important to you: being able to adjust the speech rate at any point and have it apply across the board?  OR having the current restriction on "global" speech rate changes, but being able to set other NVDA settings on a per-program basis?

Quentin

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 7:09 AM Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@...> wrote:
Hello Everyone.

     I am using NVDA with different profiles for various programs. I am
wondering if there is any way to get NVDA to respect the global speech
rate I have set as I switch between programs? The speech rate is
something I'm not really interested in customising on a per program
basis. At the moment, if I slow the speech rate down then go in to excel
for example, the last speech rate that was set in relation to my excel
profile is loaded. I can see how this would be useful for some but I
would like the option of using the global setting per profile for
certain items if possible. Any replies are much appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Mo.







--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!


Help: NVDA bug with Java GUI Applications

Ravi Pinapaka
 

Hello, 

When I create and run a Java GUI application using frames in Eclipse, NVDA doesn’t read anything in the screen. It properly reads the objects when I hover the mouse over the components and it announces all the objects when I press NVDA+B. However there’s no speech at all while navigating with the keyboard.

 

I’m sure it’s a problem with NVDA and not my code or the java access bridge because my application works fine with the Jaws screen reader.

Any ideas on how to fix it? I’m more comfortable with NVDA rather than Jaws and will be grateful if someone helps me to fix this issue.

 

Here is my entire NVDA log including the error for reference:

Note: I also tried disabling the remote add-on because there’s a line about it in the log as well. The result is the same.

 

INFO - __main__ (17:15:25.187):

Starting NVDA

INFO - core.main (17:15:25.582):

Config dir: C:\Users\ravi\AppData\Roaming\nvda

INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (17:15:25.582):

Loading config: C:\Users\ravi\AppData\Roaming\nvda\nvda.ini

INFO - core.main (17:15:26.457):

Developer Scratchpad mode enabled

INFO - core.main (17:15:26.609):

NVDA version 2019.1.1

INFO - core.main (17:15:26.609):

Using Windows version 10.0.17134 workstation

INFO - core.main (17:15:26.611):

Using Python version 2.7.15 (v2.7.15:ca079a3ea3, Apr 30 2018, 16:22:17) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]

INFO - core.main (17:15:26.611):

Using comtypes version 1.1.3

INFO - core.main (17:15:26.611):

Using configobj version 5.1.0 with validate version 1.0.1

INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (17:15:26.983):

Loaded synthDriver eloquence

INFO - core.main (17:15:26.983):

Using wx version 4.0.3 msw (phoenix) wxWidgets 3.0.5

INFO - brailleInput.initialize (17:15:26.984):

Braille input initialized

INFO - braille.initialize (17:15:26.986):

Using liblouis version 3.8.0

INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (17:15:26.987):

Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.

INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (17:15:27.190):

UIAutomation: IUIAutomation5

INFO - core.main (17:15:28.480):

NVDA initialized

(after starting my program…)

ERROR - eventHandler.executeEvent (17:15:35.719):

error executing event: gainFocus on <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_EditableTextWithoutAutoSelectDetectionJAB object at 0x05AEC530> with extra args of {}

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "eventHandler.pyo", line 155, in executeEvent

  File "eventHandler.pyo", line 92, in __init__

  File "eventHandler.pyo", line 100, in next

  File "C:\Users\ravi\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\remote\globalPlugins\remoteClient\__init__.py", line 426, in event_gainFocus

  File "eventHandler.pyo", line 100, in next

  File "NVDAObjects\JAB\__init__.pyo", line 528, in event_gainFocus

  File "NVDAObjects\__init__.pyo", line 966, in event_gainFocus

  File "NVDAObjects\JAB\__init__.pyo", line 476, in reportFocus

  File "NVDAObjects\__init__.pyo", line 854, in reportFocus

  File "speech.pyo", line 403, in speakObject

  File "speech.pyo", line 277, in speakObjectProperties

  File "baseObject.pyo", line 47, in __get__

  File "baseObject.pyo", line 147, in _getPropertyViaCache

  File "NVDAObjects\JAB\__init__.pyo", line 244, in _get_keyboardShortcut

IndexError: invalid index

 

-Ravi Pinapaka

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10


Re: In-Process 31st July

Gene
 

I'll place the tutorial in my Drop Box and send you the link.  Others may want it in future and a link is very easy for people to pass around.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: zahra
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 9:56 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] In-Process 31st July

please send your tutorial for me in a text file off list.

On 8/1/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> That isn't appropriate.  the document is for helping with the transition
> from JAWS to NVDA.  It would be just as inappropriate to reproduce the NVDA
> add-ons page in the document.  the document briefly discusses aspects of the
> change and provides useful resources.  This is a resource.  All the reader
> has to do is follow the link and download the document.
>
> Other resources may be added over time but reproducing the content would be
> impractical.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: zahra
> Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 9:38 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] In-Process 31st July
>
>
> hi gene.
> i believe that its best that you add the content of your tutorial
> rather than its link.
>
> On 8/1/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
>> I may add that information, as you suggest.
>>
>> Gene
>> ----- Original Message -----
>>
>> From: Quentin Christensen
>> Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 6:57 PM
>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>> Subject: Re: [nvda] In-Process 31st July
>>
>>
>> Hi Gene,
>>
>>
>> Good point re the system tray.  I'll update that next time I'm looking at
>> the page, but feel free to go ahead and edit it yourself if you get to it
>> first.  Editing that bit about ribbons and including the link to your
>> tutorial would also be great - I must admit, I sat down to edit that page
>> yesterday thinking I'd just need to add a paragraph here and there, and
>> then
>> I got to the virtual ribbons thing and realised it really needed a lot
>> more
>> work.
>>
>>
>> Re Eloquence, I must admit, I didn't really touch that section.  Not sure
>> whether the SAPI 5 version wasn't available when that part was originally
>> written, or maybe whoever wrote that part initially had (or knew about)
>> the
>> other version, but again, happy for that to be added in.
>>
>>
>> Regards
>>
>>
>> Quentin.
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 9:16 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
>>
>>   Regarding changes made to the switching to NVDA from JAWS Wiki:
>>
>>   I have a few points and a question to the list regarding the content.
>>
>>   As far as the system tray information is concerned, I’m glad to see
>> that
>> the space bar eaquals left single click command is included.  But it is
>> important to say that first letter navigation can be used in the system
>> tray.  Those who use the JAWS system tray dialog are used to using first
>> letter navigation in the list and they should know that the same is
>> available when working with the system tray directly.
>>
>>   Concerning ribbons, the discussion of ribbons is so shortt that I think
>> it
>> will confuse and discourage people who aren’t familiar with working with
>> ribbons and those who don’t use the JAWS virtual ribbons menus as well.
>> I
>> think that it is much better to provide a link to resources to learn
>> about
>> ribbons such as my tutorial, its short and to the point and very clear
>> with
>> learn by doing examples, and links to resources, done by others.
>>
>>   I would have no objection to a comment such as, using ribbons is
>> similar
>> to using menus except that you tab and shift tab to move through a
>> ribbon.
>> Then you might say something like of course there is more to learn but
>> that
>> is the essence of how you move through ribbons.  Then you would recommend
>> resources.  Or, if you don’t want to give specific information, you might
>> say something like try one or more of these resources for learning
>> ribbons.
>> You may be pleasantly surprised how much easier they are than you may
>> have
>> believed.  I’ll send you a link to my ribbons tutorial ikf you wish.
>>
>>   Regarding Eloquence, why is the HTML5 version not mentioned?  I don’t
>> know
>> if the add-on works properly now and my question to the list is, does it
>> still have the very annoying almost constant crackling artifacts it used
>> to
>> have?  If it does, that is another reason to mention the HTML5 version.
>> Those wishing to use Eloquence in more than just NVDA should be aware
>> that
>> an HTML5 version exists.  I don’t think the HTML5 version is discussed on
>> the extra voices page so this would have to be coordinated.
>>
>>   gene
>>   ----- Original Message -----
>>   From: Quentin Christensen
>>   Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 9:32 PM
>>   To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>>   Subject: [nvda] In-Process 31st July
>>
>>   Hi everyone,
>>
>>   This week in In-Process, NVDA 2019.2 RC1, improving mail with Litmus,
>> updates to the Switching from Jaws to NVDA Wiki, and the WebAIM screen
>> reader survey.
>>
>>   Here's the link: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-31st-july/
>>
>>   Regards
>>
>>   Quentin.
>>   --
>>
>>   Quentin Christensen
>>   Training and Support Manager
>>
>>
>>   NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!
>>
>>
>>
>>   Web: www.nvaccess.org
>>
>>   Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>>   Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/
>>   User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
>>   Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
>>   Twitter: @NVAccess
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Quentin Christensen
>> Training and Support Manager
>>
>>
>> NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!
>>
>>
>>
>> Web: www.nvaccess.org
>>
>> Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>> Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/
>> User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
>> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
>> Twitter: @NVAccess
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> By God,
> were I given all the seven heavens
> with all they contain
> in order that
> I may disobey God
> by depriving an ant
> from the husk of a grain of barley,
> I would not do it.
> imam ali
>
>
>
>
>
>


--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali



Re: In-Process 31st July

 

please send your tutorial for me in a text file off list.

On 8/1/19, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:
That isn't appropriate. the document is for helping with the transition
from JAWS to NVDA. It would be just as inappropriate to reproduce the NVDA
add-ons page in the document. the document briefly discusses aspects of the
change and provides useful resources. This is a resource. All the reader
has to do is follow the link and download the document.

Other resources may be added over time but reproducing the content would be
impractical.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: zahra
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 9:38 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] In-Process 31st July


hi gene.
i believe that its best that you add the content of your tutorial
rather than its link.

On 8/1/19, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:
I may add that information, as you suggest.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Quentin Christensen
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 6:57 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] In-Process 31st July


Hi Gene,


Good point re the system tray. I'll update that next time I'm looking at
the page, but feel free to go ahead and edit it yourself if you get to it
first. Editing that bit about ribbons and including the link to your
tutorial would also be great - I must admit, I sat down to edit that page
yesterday thinking I'd just need to add a paragraph here and there, and
then
I got to the virtual ribbons thing and realised it really needed a lot
more
work.


Re Eloquence, I must admit, I didn't really touch that section. Not sure
whether the SAPI 5 version wasn't available when that part was originally
written, or maybe whoever wrote that part initially had (or knew about)
the
other version, but again, happy for that to be added in.


Regards


Quentin.


On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 9:16 PM Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

Regarding changes made to the switching to NVDA from JAWS Wiki:

I have a few points and a question to the list regarding the content.

As far as the system tray information is concerned, I’m glad to see
that
the space bar eaquals left single click command is included. But it is
important to say that first letter navigation can be used in the system
tray. Those who use the JAWS system tray dialog are used to using first
letter navigation in the list and they should know that the same is
available when working with the system tray directly.

Concerning ribbons, the discussion of ribbons is so shortt that I think
it
will confuse and discourage people who aren’t familiar with working with
ribbons and those who don’t use the JAWS virtual ribbons menus as well.
I
think that it is much better to provide a link to resources to learn
about
ribbons such as my tutorial, its short and to the point and very clear
with
learn by doing examples, and links to resources, done by others.

I would have no objection to a comment such as, using ribbons is
similar
to using menus except that you tab and shift tab to move through a
ribbon.
Then you might say something like of course there is more to learn but
that
is the essence of how you move through ribbons. Then you would recommend
resources. Or, if you don’t want to give specific information, you might
say something like try one or more of these resources for learning
ribbons.
You may be pleasantly surprised how much easier they are than you may
have
believed. I’ll send you a link to my ribbons tutorial ikf you wish.

Regarding Eloquence, why is the HTML5 version not mentioned? I don’t
know
if the add-on works properly now and my question to the list is, does it
still have the very annoying almost constant crackling artifacts it used
to
have? If it does, that is another reason to mention the HTML5 version.
Those wishing to use Eloquence in more than just NVDA should be aware
that
an HTML5 version exists. I don’t think the HTML5 version is discussed on
the extra voices page so this would have to be coordinated.

gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Quentin Christensen
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 9:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] In-Process 31st July

Hi everyone,

This week in In-Process, NVDA 2019.2 RC1, improving mail with Litmus,
updates to the Switching from Jaws to NVDA Wiki, and the WebAIM screen
reader survey.

Here's the link: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-31st-july/

Regards

Quentin.
--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!



Web: www.nvaccess.org

Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/
User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess







--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!



Web: www.nvaccess.org

Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/
User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess





--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali





--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali


Re: In-Process 31st July

Gene
 

That isn't appropriate.  the document is for helping with the transition from JAWS to NVDA.  It would be just as inappropriate to reproduce the NVDA add-ons page in the document.  the document briefly discusses aspects of the change and provides useful resources.  This is a resource.  All the reader has to do is follow the link and download the document. 
 
Other resources may be added over time but reproducing the content would be impractical.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: zahra
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 9:38 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] In-Process 31st July

hi gene.
i believe that its best that you add the content of your tutorial
rather than its link.

On 8/1/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I may add that information, as you suggest.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: Quentin Christensen
> Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 6:57 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] In-Process 31st July
>
>
> Hi Gene,
>
>
> Good point re the system tray.  I'll update that next time I'm looking at
> the page, but feel free to go ahead and edit it yourself if you get to it
> first.  Editing that bit about ribbons and including the link to your
> tutorial would also be great - I must admit, I sat down to edit that page
> yesterday thinking I'd just need to add a paragraph here and there, and then
> I got to the virtual ribbons thing and realised it really needed a lot more
> work.
>
>
> Re Eloquence, I must admit, I didn't really touch that section.  Not sure
> whether the SAPI 5 version wasn't available when that part was originally
> written, or maybe whoever wrote that part initially had (or knew about) the
> other version, but again, happy for that to be added in.
>
>
> Regards
>
>
> Quentin.
>
>
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 9:16 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
>
>   Regarding changes made to the switching to NVDA from JAWS Wiki:
>
>   I have a few points and a question to the list regarding the content.
>
>   As far as the system tray information is concerned, I’m glad to see that
> the space bar eaquals left single click command is included.  But it is
> important to say that first letter navigation can be used in the system
> tray.  Those who use the JAWS system tray dialog are used to using first
> letter navigation in the list and they should know that the same is
> available when working with the system tray directly.
>
>   Concerning ribbons, the discussion of ribbons is so shortt that I think it
> will confuse and discourage people who aren’t familiar with working with
> ribbons and those who don’t use the JAWS virtual ribbons menus as well.  I
> think that it is much better to provide a link to resources to learn about
> ribbons such as my tutorial, its short and to the point and very clear with
> learn by doing examples, and links to resources, done by others.
>
>   I would have no objection to a comment such as, using ribbons is similar
> to using menus except that you tab and shift tab to move through a ribbon.
> Then you might say something like of course there is more to learn but that
> is the essence of how you move through ribbons.  Then you would recommend
> resources.  Or, if you don’t want to give specific information, you might
> say something like try one or more of these resources for learning ribbons.
> You may be pleasantly surprised how much easier they are than you may have
> believed.  I’ll send you a link to my ribbons tutorial ikf you wish.
>
>   Regarding Eloquence, why is the HTML5 version not mentioned?  I don’t know
> if the add-on works properly now and my question to the list is, does it
> still have the very annoying almost constant crackling artifacts it used to
> have?  If it does, that is another reason to mention the HTML5 version.
> Those wishing to use Eloquence in more than just NVDA should be aware that
> an HTML5 version exists.  I don’t think the HTML5 version is discussed on
> the extra voices page so this would have to be coordinated.
>
>   gene
>   ----- Original Message -----
>   From: Quentin Christensen
>   Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 9:32 PM
>   To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>   Subject: [nvda] In-Process 31st July
>
>   Hi everyone,
>
>   This week in In-Process, NVDA 2019.2 RC1, improving mail with Litmus,
> updates to the Switching from Jaws to NVDA Wiki, and the WebAIM screen
> reader survey.
>
>   Here's the link: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-31st-july/
>
>   Regards
>
>   Quentin.
>   --
>
>   Quentin Christensen
>   Training and Support Manager
>
>
>   NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!
>
>
>
>   Web: www.nvaccess.org
>
>   Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>   Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/
>   User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
>   Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
>   Twitter: @NVAccess
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
>
> Quentin Christensen
> Training and Support Manager
>
>
> NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!
>
>
>
> Web: www.nvaccess.org
>
> Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
> Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/
> User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
> Twitter: @NVAccess
>
>
>
>
>


--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali



Re: Setting global speech rate across various profiles

Quentin Christensen
 

When you create a profile for a program, it saves only those changes to settings you make while that program is active.

So if I have a profile for Excel, and my normal profile I use for everything else, if I change the speech rate while in Excel, it will ONLY affect the speech rate while Excel, and when I go to Firefox, the speech rate will go revert.  If instead, I change the speech rate in Firefox, then the new rate will work in Firefox and Excel.  So, if you change the speech rate while using the "normal" profile, and you haven't changed it while using any other programs with their own rates set, then yes it will work everywhere.

There isn't a way that will let you have configuration profiles for different apps to save SOME settings, but not speech rate.  So, the other question perhaps is, which is more important to you: being able to adjust the speech rate at any point and have it apply across the board?  OR having the current restriction on "global" speech rate changes, but being able to set other NVDA settings on a per-program basis?

Quentin

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 7:09 AM Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@...> wrote:
Hello Everyone.

     I am using NVDA with different profiles for various programs. I am
wondering if there is any way to get NVDA to respect the global speech
rate I have set as I switch between programs? The speech rate is
something I'm not really interested in customising on a per program
basis. At the moment, if I slow the speech rate down then go in to excel
for example, the last speech rate that was set in relation to my excel
profile is loaded. I can see how this would be useful for some but I
would like the option of using the global setting per profile for
certain items if possible. Any replies are much appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Mo.







--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!


Re: In-Process 31st July

 

hi gene.
i believe that its best that you add the content of your tutorial
rather than its link.

On 8/1/19, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:
I may add that information, as you suggest.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Quentin Christensen
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 6:57 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] In-Process 31st July


Hi Gene,


Good point re the system tray. I'll update that next time I'm looking at
the page, but feel free to go ahead and edit it yourself if you get to it
first. Editing that bit about ribbons and including the link to your
tutorial would also be great - I must admit, I sat down to edit that page
yesterday thinking I'd just need to add a paragraph here and there, and then
I got to the virtual ribbons thing and realised it really needed a lot more
work.


Re Eloquence, I must admit, I didn't really touch that section. Not sure
whether the SAPI 5 version wasn't available when that part was originally
written, or maybe whoever wrote that part initially had (or knew about) the
other version, but again, happy for that to be added in.


Regards


Quentin.


On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 9:16 PM Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

Regarding changes made to the switching to NVDA from JAWS Wiki:

I have a few points and a question to the list regarding the content.

As far as the system tray information is concerned, I’m glad to see that
the space bar eaquals left single click command is included. But it is
important to say that first letter navigation can be used in the system
tray. Those who use the JAWS system tray dialog are used to using first
letter navigation in the list and they should know that the same is
available when working with the system tray directly.

Concerning ribbons, the discussion of ribbons is so shortt that I think it
will confuse and discourage people who aren’t familiar with working with
ribbons and those who don’t use the JAWS virtual ribbons menus as well. I
think that it is much better to provide a link to resources to learn about
ribbons such as my tutorial, its short and to the point and very clear with
learn by doing examples, and links to resources, done by others.

I would have no objection to a comment such as, using ribbons is similar
to using menus except that you tab and shift tab to move through a ribbon.
Then you might say something like of course there is more to learn but that
is the essence of how you move through ribbons. Then you would recommend
resources. Or, if you don’t want to give specific information, you might
say something like try one or more of these resources for learning ribbons.
You may be pleasantly surprised how much easier they are than you may have
believed. I’ll send you a link to my ribbons tutorial ikf you wish.

Regarding Eloquence, why is the HTML5 version not mentioned? I don’t know
if the add-on works properly now and my question to the list is, does it
still have the very annoying almost constant crackling artifacts it used to
have? If it does, that is another reason to mention the HTML5 version.
Those wishing to use Eloquence in more than just NVDA should be aware that
an HTML5 version exists. I don’t think the HTML5 version is discussed on
the extra voices page so this would have to be coordinated.

gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Quentin Christensen
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 9:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] In-Process 31st July

Hi everyone,

This week in In-Process, NVDA 2019.2 RC1, improving mail with Litmus,
updates to the Switching from Jaws to NVDA Wiki, and the WebAIM screen
reader survey.

Here's the link: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-31st-july/

Regards

Quentin.
--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!



Web: www.nvaccess.org

Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/
User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess







--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!



Web: www.nvaccess.org

Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/
User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess




--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

17381 - 17400 of 81040