Special characters in NVDA

Ann Byrne

How do I find special characters in NVDA, such as the accented e in résumé?

Thanks,

Gene

NVDA has no such dialog.  Do you still have JAWS on your machine?  You could create your own list using Notepad and then cut and paste them into documents.  Or you can create these characters using the numpad, but I've almost never done this.  Since NVDA uses the Numpad, I'm not sure if you can do this unless you use the bypass command.  Others may comment.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2018 9:49 AM
Subject: [nvda] Special characters in NVDA

Thanks,

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I haven’t yet tried this with nVDA running, but the quickest way for me has always been to turn the numlock on, and type the alt-number combination, then turn the numlock off again. This won’t work for everyone. While I admit I can’t remember all the important codes, most of the ones I use are accents you’d find in french, and I do remember those. Windows has a feature called Character Map, which you can use to look up character codes, or paste the characters directly into your document. I haven’t used it since XP, but I just looked, and note that it is still here in Windows 10. However, the interface seems to have changed somewhat. Still, you can search for things if you select the advanced view. Play around with it if you like. You’ll probably have to use object navigation in NVDA.

The good news is that once you know the code, you don’t have to muck around with pasting anything. Make a list of the ones you use often, rather as Gene suggested, and before long you’ll remember them and type them quickly and efficiently.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: February 4, 2018 11:23 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Special characters in NVDA

NVDA has no such dialog.  Do you still have JAWS on your machine?  You could create your own list using Notepad and then cut and paste them into documents.  Or you can create these characters using the numpad, but I've almost never done this.  Since NVDA uses the Numpad, I'm not sure if you can do this unless you use the bypass command.  Others may comment.

Gene

Thanks,

Gene

That will work with NVDA.  I thought the numlock was off when this was done but when the numlock is on, the Numpad works just as it does When NVDA isn't running.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2018 1:33 PM

I haven’t yet tried this with nVDA running, but the quickest way for me has always been to turn the numlock on, and type the alt-number combination, then turn the numlock off again. This won’t work for everyone. While I admit I can’t remember all the important codes, most of the ones I use are accents you’d find in french, and I do remember those. Windows has a feature called Character Map, which you can use to look up character codes, or paste the characters directly into your document. I haven’t used it since XP, but I just looked, and note that it is still here in Windows 10. However, the interface seems to have changed somewhat. Still, you can search for things if you select the advanced view. Play around with it if you like. You’ll probably have to use object navigation in NVDA.

The good news is that once you know the code, you don’t have to muck around with pasting anything. Make a list of the ones you use often, rather as Gene suggested, and before long you’ll remember them and type them quickly and efficiently.

Gene

Thanks,

Yes, that’s what I figured. I only note that it won’t work for everyone because some seem to balk at the notion of typing several keystrokes to get a single character result. Still quicker than pasting from a file or character map imo but, it’s of course up to the user. In any case, you still have to find the right codes, before you can remember them. J

Sent: February 4, 2018 2:36 PM

That will work with NVDA.  I thought the numlock was off when this was done but when the numlock is on, the Numpad works just as it does When NVDA isn't running.

Gene

Gene

Thanks,

Jason White

This documentation (with Italian as the example language) may be useful. I found it with a quick Web search, so I haven’t tried it.

https://www.duolingo.com/comment/15264140/How-To-Type-Accented-Characters-On-An-English-Keyboard-Windows-10-Tutorial

Microsoft Office has keystrokes that allow you to type accented letters:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/keyboard-shortcuts-for-international-characters-108fa0c1-fb8e-4aae-9db1-d60407d13c35

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Sunday, February 4, 2018 3:12 PM

Yes, that’s what I figured. I only note that it won’t work for everyone because some seem to balk at the notion of typing several keystrokes to get a single character result. Still quicker than pasting from a file or character map imo but, it’s of course up to the user. In any case, you still have to find the right codes, before you can remember them. J

Gene

Gene

Thanks,

Gene

If you have JAWS, it has a feature that displays a lot of symbols.  As I recall, you find the one you want in the list and press enter to place the symbol in a document you are editing.  You can open a blank document, then open the list in JAWS and put whatever symbols you want in the document, then save it.  You would put one to a line so you can quickly move to the symbol you want and then be easily able to select and copy it to the clipboard, then go back to the document you are working on and paste it in.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2018 2:12 PM

Gene

Gene

Thanks,

Giles Turnbull

I use the num pad method very frequently. Even though I live in the UK I am used to the US keyboard layout so symbols like the pound sign £ are not above the number keys. I turn num lock on and hold the ALT key while presing (each in order) 0163 to get the £. If I have num lock turned off it produces the ú symbol (which NVDA tells me is u with acute). I often want to use an em-dash in my blog posts so use the ALT+0151 to get — and the slightly shorter en-dash is 0150. Both of those dashes aren't spoken by NVDA by defult so I've added the symbols into the defult dictionary so NVDA does say "em-dash" when I've inserted the — symbol.

Doing a search for symbol ALT codes turns up many results where yu can find all kinds of symbols with their respective ALT+num pad combinations.

You'll no doubt forget ones you've looked up and rarely use but the ones you use frequenly, like the pound symbol for me, you'll type without thinking about it ... which is much faster than copying and pasting from a list you've created or from the Windows Character Mapper (which you can access by pressing the Win key and letter r, followed by typing charmap into the run dialog box that opens up).

Hope that helps :)

Giles

Jonathan COHN

I interpreted this question differently. Are you asking how to find any accented / non Latin   characters or specific ones.   It certainly is fairly easy in the underlying Python language to determine if a specific unicode block contains only characters usually associated with the ASCII character set also sometimes called LATIN-1.  

I have seen on some older mail platforms cases where the final message appeared to have non-Latin characters when this was not intended. Though I believe this is nothing that can be caught ahead of time. 

Jonathan Cohn 

Peter Chin

Please tell us how to get to the character map in Windows.

Sent: Monday, February 5, 2018 3:33 AM

Gene

Thanks,

Sam Taylor

Windows R for run dialogue and type Charmap

On 2/03/2018 17:47, Peter Chin wrote:

Gene

Thanks,

When I wanted to find out if it was still present in Win 10 the day I wrote that message, I hit windows key to open the search box, and typed “character map”, and there it was.

I even got the executable name right. Hit windows + r for run, and type “charmap”.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Chin
Sent: March 2, 2018 2:48 AM

Gene

Thanks,

Peter Chin

Thanks so much.

Sent: Saturday, March 3, 2018 9:23 AM

Windows R for run dialogue and type Charmap

On 2/03/2018 17:47, Peter Chin wrote:

Gene

Thanks,

Peter Chin

Thanks so much.

Sent: Saturday, March 3, 2018 9:26 AM

When I wanted to find out if it was still present in Win 10 the day I wrote that message, I hit windows key to open the search box, and typed “character map”, and there it was.

I even got the executable name right. Hit windows + r for run, and type “charmap”.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Chin
Sent: March 2, 2018 2:48 AM

Gene

Thanks,