important to read before installing CCleaner

Gene

I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I thought I should raise this very important point.
CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause people problems as well.

Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner.  Use either the portable version or the version that is called something like the slim version.

Gene

Felix G.

Hi!
Exactly the experience I made in the past. The free version of CCleaner came bundled with some security software, or in some cases with Google Chrome. There are checkboxes, checked by default, which may be unchecked to prevent those additional installations. However, sometimes these check boxes are not in the tab order, so it's a good idea to carefully scan these installer windows with object navigation. I find that NVDA is very good at spotting those areas.
Best regards,
Felix

Gene <gsasner@...> schrieb am Mo., 5. Feb. 2018 um 19:11 Uhr:

I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I thought I should raise this very important point.
CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause people problems as well.

Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner.  Use either the portable version or the version that is called something like the slim version.

Gene

Arlene

Can you get it off ninite?

I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I thought I should raise this very important point.

CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause people problems as well.

Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner.  Use either the portable version or the version that is called something like the slim version.

Gene

nope that that I am aware of

On 2/5/2018 2:44 PM, Arlene wrote:

Can you get it off ninite?

I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I thought I should raise this very important point.

CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause people problems as well.

Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner.  Use either the portable version or the version that is called something like the slim version.

Gene

Kevin Cussick

sorry no.

Can you get it off ninite?
I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I thought I should raise this very important point.
CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause people problems as well.
Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner.  Use either the portable version or the version that is called something like the slim version.
Gene

Arlene

That is too bad. Then you would not have to get all this other junk. The
Junk that you install that you may not want!

I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I
thought I should raise this very important point.

CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or
more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause
people problems as well.

Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner.  Use
either the portable version or the version that is called something
like the slim version.

Gene

Arlene

I should say the unwanted stuff like google chrome or other stuff.

I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I
thought I should raise this very important point.

CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or
more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause
people problems as well.

Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner.  Use
either the portable version or the version that is called something
like the slim version.

I've never heard of anyone getting it from Ninite.  That aside, you have to know how to protect yourself when downloading and installing free software.  You have to check the web page carefully for check boxes to refuse additional programs.  You have to look, using object navigation when installing a program and even that may not work.  You should be using unchecky, a utility you install and then just let it sit there, looking for bundled software.  It can't block everything but it blocks a lot and it may save you from downloading additional programs.

I can't say this is generally true but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.  If a site offers a portable version of a program. that program may not have any additional programs bundled with it.  By definition, a portable program makes no changes to your system.

I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I thought I should raise this very important point.

CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause people problems as well.

Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner.  Use either the portable version or the version that is called something like the slim version.

Gene

Kevin Cussick

just search for c Cleaner slim and you will find it.

On 05/02/2018 22:57, Arlene wrote:
That is too bad. Then you would not have to get all this other junk. The
Junk that you install that you may not want!
I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I
thought I should raise this very important point.

CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or
more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause
people problems as well.

Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner.  Use
either the portable version or the version that is called something
like the slim version.

Gene

Arlene

Does it work for win ten?

I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I
thought I should raise this very important point.

CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or
more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause
people problems as well.

Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner. Use
either the portable version or the version that is called something
like the slim version.

Gene

Roger Stewart

Yes it does!  I've been using CCleaner with Win 10 for a couple years now.  Works just fine.

Roger

On 2/5/2018 5:02 PM, Arlene wrote:
Does it work for win ten?

I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I
thought I should raise this very important point.

CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or
more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause
people problems as well.

Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner. Use
either the portable version or the version that is called something
like the slim version.

Gene

Roger Stewart

No, CCleaner doesn't appear to me on Ninite.  I don't know how to find a portable version. When I check for CCleaner on the site it takes me to for updating, I just get a few choices and there isn't any portable or slim version offered there.

Roger

On 2/5/2018 3:44 PM, Arlene wrote:

Can you get it off ninite?

I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I thought I should raise this very important point.

CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause people problems as well.

Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner.  Use either the portable version or the version that is called something like the slim version.

You don't have to get it.  Use the portable version or the slim, or whatever it is called, version.

Gene
That is too bad. Then you would not have to get all this other junk. The
Junk that you install that you may not want!

> I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I
> thought I should raise this very important point.
>
> CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or
> more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause
> people problems as well.
>
> Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner.  Use
> either the portable version or the version that is called something
> like the slim version.
>
> Gene

Pascal Lambert

Yes it does. Not a 100% accessible but fairly manageable.
A very good utility.
Blessings
Pascal

I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I
thought I should raise this very important point.

CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or
more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause
people problems as well.

Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner. Use
either the portable version or the version that is called something
like the slim version.

Gene

Pascal Lambert

If you contact the company, they will email you a link.

Blessings

Pascal

I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I thought I should raise this very important point.

CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause people problems as well.

Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner.  Use either the portable version or the version that is called something like the slim version.

If you have trouble finding something, and even if you don't, doing a Google search is often the easiest way to find something.  Search for ninite portable.  In the results, check the address under the link to the page to check if the link is legitimate.  In this case, use the link that leads to a page on the developers site.  For other programs, you may get a link to old apps or portable apps.  I think both sites are com.  You may see other links and not those.  In that case, ask on a good list if the sites are reputable or look up the sites on google.  You can search for something like is X site reliable or is x site safe or x sitename review.

I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I thought I should raise this very important point.

CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause people problems as well.

Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner.  Use either the portable version or the version that is called something like the slim version.

Gene

Cristóbal

It used to be on Ninite many moons ago, but was removed at the request of the developer if memory serves. They wanted people to go to their actual site to download.

[...]

Well avast you don't want, google toolbar you probably don't want.

But chrome, to be honest when does stuff become unwanted if you use it.

Like for example if you use avast, and or chrome, if it was bundled, its 1 less thing to load.

Avast and chrome are not the issue, its all this opencandy stuff.

Windows defender is supposed next month to be able to be more aggressive with scareware etc which sadly seems to be more false positives nad probably more targeting of the disabled, for games and other programs.

On 6/02/2018 11:57 a.m., Arlene wrote:
I should say the unwanted stuff like google chrome or other stuff.

I didn't keep the messages in the current CCleaner thread but I
thought I should raise this very important point.

CCleaner, as do so many free programs now comes bundled with one or
more programs you probably don't want. Some of these programs cause
people problems as well.

Don't download and install the regular version of CCleaner.  Use
either the portable version or the version that is called something
like the slim version.

Gene

.

Gene

Avast shouldn't be installed and run if you are already using another antivirus program.

Sent: Monday, February 05, 2018 5:43 PM

Well avast you don't want, google toolbar you probably don't want.

But chrome, to be honest when does stuff become unwanted if you use it.

Like for example if you use avast, and or chrome, if it was bundled, its
1 less thing to load.

Avast and chrome are not the issue, its all this opencandy stuff.

Windows defender is supposed next month to be able to be more aggressive
with scareware etc which sadly seems to be more false positives nad
probably more targeting of the disabled, for games and other programs.

On 6/02/2018 11:57 a.m., Arlene wrote:
> I should say the unwanted stuff like google chrome or other stuff.

Felix G.

I actually got my first installation of Chrome from installing CCleaner, and then I thought, since it's there now, might as well have a look at it. That was the only time I installed something by accident and then actually kept it around because I liked it.

Sent: Monday, February 05, 2018 5:43 PM