Topics

OT. Transcription jobs?

Matt Turner

Hi folks.

Subject says it all.

Triing to find something to do for working from home.

Are there any blind mailing-list for this kind of thing?

Laz

No mailing lists that I know of but there are several fields that use
Transcriptionists as in medical, legal, etc. There are some
requirements to be met before one can call oneself a transcriptionist
though. I went to a trade school to learn how to do medical
transcription. If you ask me nowadays if it was worth it my answer
would have to be no. I came into transcription after most of the
available work began to be outsourced to India hence there was very
little opportunity available. the school finally placed me with a
transcription company in California I live in Florida, and I made less
than $3000 in the five years I spen working as a medical
transcriptionist. Yes, it was that bad. From my experience I would
recommend if that's what you want to do, to seek your own clients
locally and realize that they most likely already have a
transcriptionist or a service and that you may have to underbid to get
any work plus prove yourself better and faster than the competition.
The training is a must as you won't be able to compete without it. One
more thing I need to let you know about. Most big transcription
companies use specific programs for you to pick up your work and
return it and most of these programs are less than accessible from
what I've heard. This is another reason to seek your own clients
locally. The most successful medical transcriptionist I know either
built up their own local clients over a period of time or they were in
the business before the outsourcing of work to India began.

Good luck,

Laz

On 2/7/18, Matt Turner <meturner2214@...> wrote:
Hi folks.

Subject says it all.

Triing to find something to do for working from home.

Are there any blind mailing-list for this kind of thing?

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Matt,

I know there used to be a medical transcription list but I don't know if Nance still runs it or not.

Rosemarie

Triing to find something to do for working from home.

Are there any blind mailing-list for this kind of thing?

Rayn Darren

Hi Matt,

There are no lists that I know of, however, there are several Facebook groups you could join, feel free to contact me directly and I'll be happy to share the list. rayndarren@.... Additionally, around a year ago, the Lighthouse of Huston offered a distance course in medical transcription, I don't know if they still do so though. Rev is a company that does transcription, but as Laz mentioned, they use their own software, I can tell you their test to qualify is accessible, but nothing beyond that. If you're interested, I can either let you know what happens next or give you the link and you can check it out directly. Hope this helps.
Rayn

Triing to find something to do for working from home.

Are there any blind mailing-list for this kind of thing?

Sarah k Alawami

I'm  actually very surprised there is not much. Iv'e considered this as well, however I also herd the same  thing. Nothing is accessible anymore and you are treated as incompetent even though you can do the work.. I also I believe talked to developers about nvda and stuff but they do not want to make their stuff accessible for us. Not good in my humble opinion.

On Feb 7, 2018, at 11:28 AM, Rayn Darren <rayndarren@...> wrote:

Hi Matt,

There are no lists that I know of, however, there are several Facebook groups you could join, feel free to contact me directly and I'll be happy to share the list. rayndarren@.... Additionally, around a year ago, the Lighthouse of Huston offered a distance course in medical transcription, I don't know if they still do so though. Rev is a company that does transcription, but as Laz mentioned, they use their own software, I can tell you their test to qualify is accessible, but nothing beyond that. If you're interested, I can either let you know what happens next or give you the link and you can check it out directly. Hope this helps.
Rayn

Triing to find something to do for working from home.

Are there any blind mailing-list for this kind of thing?

Michael Capelle <michael.capelle@...>

jobs@...
to subscribe, send a message to:
jobs-subscribe@...

Triing to find something to do for working from home.

Are there any blind mailing-list for this kind of thing?

Hmmm I wander if that works for us in new zealand I may look at this myself.

-----Original Message----- From: Matt Turner
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 11:43 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi folks.

Subject says it all.

Triing to find something to do for working from home.

Are there any blind mailing-list for this kind of thing?

slery <slerythema@...>

Medical Transcription is being phased out. Doctors are required to have digital records now and most enter the data right then and there or have an assistant that sits in the room and enters it. My friend worked in the field for 15 years and was hoping it would keep going long enough for her to retire. She has already had to pick up another job as hers was phased out and the company went out of business.

Cindy

[...]

Subject says it all.

--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Players, Accessible phones, Bluetooth devices, and accessories http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...

Daniel Hawkins

I agree with this. My mother in law was a transcription for over 20 years. Then one day she was laid off due to Doctors now have voice recniztion software very similar to Dragon Speak or Siri, or Google Assistant.
Daniel Hawkins

On Jun 23, 2018, at 11:18 PM, slery <slerythema@...> wrote:

[...]

Subject says it all.

Triing to find something to do for working from home.

Are there any blind mailing-list for this kind of thing?

--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Players, Accessible phones, Bluetooth devices, and accessories http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, I don't know, since it deppends on commertial movements, marketing and so on. For my own experience, I work in a small company which uses both speech recognition and stenotype for transcription of pre-recorded audio and also for generating captions for deaf people (and others) in real time.
Not always, but there are customers that prefer that transcription in real time is performed using stenotype instead of speech recognition. Both technologies in the company where I am an employee are performer by humans. Here in Spain speech recognition is preferred for television due to the system using for transmiting data, by lines instead of words.
In short, here the two systems are used for captions in real time, generally speech recognition for TV and stenotype for conferences, since there are people who things this method for now has a minor latence and general quality seems to be better.
This company sometimes searches people to work in English for some events, and call to another company from United States.
To maintain this on topic, NVDA needs to be deactivated to transmit data with Streamtext; otherwise writing appears slower.

Cheers

computersassociated@... <mailto:computersassociated@...>

On Jun 23, 2018, at 11:18 PM, slery <slerythema@... <mailto:slerythema@...>> wrote:

[...]

On 2/7/18, Matt Turner <meturner2214@... <mailto:meturner2214@...>> wrote:
Hi folks.

Subject says it all.

Triing to find something to do for working from home.

Are there any blind mailing-list for this kind of thing?

--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Players, Accessible phones, Bluetooth devices, and accessories http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@... <mailto:laz@...>
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

Ervin, Glenn

I went to a doctor with my wife for her condition, and I was not impressed with the doctor tending to the computer dictating his notes while attempting to see to the patient, I felt like his tending to the mistakes made by the software took precedence over my wife’s visit.

Glenn