Google drive nagging

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I see that Google drive are nagging me to update to the back up and restore new version. I disabled updates some time ago to keep the old format as nvda would not work very well with the newer versions coming out and also they were crashing machines all over the place
Is it now safe to update as the cryptic message its putting up every so often is that its no longer supported, which could just mean its not ever going to get security updates or that they intend to stop users with the old software from accessing the system any more. I have no idea which, but a few days after Google also nagging me to not use email clients to access their accounts they do seem to be getting a bit too aggressive toward their users in my view.

Is there any other easy to use cloud storage that can run on old xp machines,which is the only real reason for using google drive at all since dropbox stopped its software running, mainly due to the fact that they started to use a newer code compiler that made code that fell over on xp.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well at the moment it has just stopped synchronising so I guess that answers part of the question, nice of them to give me about half an hours warning. Thanks google.
[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I use google back up and sync. It's very accessible and works well. I also ise iDrive as well for my more important stuff.

On Feb 8, 2018, at 1:12 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:

Well at  the moment it has just stopped synchronising so I guess that answers part of the question, nice of them to give me about half an hours warning. Thanks google.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <bglists@...>
[...]

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>

in comparing google drive to dropbox, which one is more reliable and more accessible?

[...]

I dont know. Both are very reliable an the price of google storage is better. Having said all of that, I do use both.

On Feb 8, 2018, at 10:04 AM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io <k_gunness@...> wrote:

[...]

Well when I tried to install google drive on my newer systems the new one was installed so you may have no choice.

At any rate most of the setup works but after that it doesn't.

Thats fine because you can access things via menus which is why even though dropbox latest has no accessibility once configured you don't need the client for normal use.

The issue with the google is that window in the middle of the screen and the fact it will crash especially if you close it.

I won't be using google drive anymore there are other services that I can use.

dropbox for 1.

and 1 drive for another, in fact with the way they are pushing the 365 experience the way they are, I suspect other cloud services will have a hard time keeping up.

I mean the 365 model reminds me of my cellphone previder or my net previder.

Except in additional to calls and texts I get 1tb of cloud storage which none of my coms previders previde me as well as a lot of extras.

On 8/02/2018 10:08 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

.

Hmmm any tips for google backup sync.

Also, how do you use i drive, apple made a mess of the icloud interface last year so although I can select boxes with narator and nvda I can't do much else.

On Feb 8, 2018, at 1:12 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Well at the moment it has just stopped synchronising so I guess that answers part of the question, nice of them to give me about half an hours warning. Thanks google.

Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io <mailto:bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>>
[...]

David Griffith

Is it now accessible on Windows or are you using it on a Mac?

I in-installed it from both my windows 10 Desktop  and Laptop  last year as at that time the settings / preferences were inaccessible on both machines. Very annoying at the time.

David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog

[...]

Idrive is different. It has nothing to do with apple. You can do express back ups and restores, and more. He app is very accessible and you can even back up your phone as well and access that off site. It will even do facebook, one drive and I don't actually know what else. Here is my ref link.

https://www.idrive.com/p=alawamipro

Take care all and hope you can use this at the same time with google drive.

On Feb 8, 2018, at 11:22 AM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Yes but I had serious issues on windows 7 with it crashing. Now the weird thing is that it looks like they have also abandoned xp completely, which was the only reason I was still it as other machines run dropbox and it seems a whole lot slicker than the google drive offering.
 The amd chipped old xp machines now have no into virus or google drive as the new version will not install due to code issues and the processor.

I'm not having a moan, but just wonder how many old xp users will now continue to use their machines with broken security and hacked  cloud storage.
[...]

Well assuming windows 7 or later DRopbox seems to me to be faster and more intuitive in use.

Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2018 6:04 PM

[...]

I don't use enough to pay for it, but looking at them there seems to be a valid reason to pay for either if you have a lot of data to be backed up and a fast internet link both ways.

Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2018 6:27 PM

Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2018 6:04 PM

[...]

Thanks, may look at this later.

On 9/02/2018 10:30 a.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't use xp for this.

Xp has however a few uses.

1.  playing older games as they were ment to.

2.  a media player type deal, explorer and the shell are really stable.

To be honest xp started really fast faster than 7 ever did, faster than 10 and this was on a hard drive.

On 9/02/2018 2:59 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

No its was just convenient, In the main I can use the net to bring files over to the later windows machines still. but it did give a way of putting files into cold storage when other machines were not on and be able to access them later on. I suppose a network connected hard drive would do exactly the same job though and probably faster in the long run.
I have toyed with the idea of so getting one which could contain several bit drives as both a server and back up device, but when looking at such ideas, I've normally found that screenreaders have serious troubles looking at them as the machines run bespoke software of some kind.