From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Felix G.
Sent: Thursday, February 8, 2018 11:41 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Potentially important observation with Windows 10 Preview

Hi!

I'm running Windows Insider build 17074.1002 64 bit. With this build, the current NVDA Master won't read menus in Notepad. Perhaps more importantly, context menus for files and folders in Windows Explorer are also not read. For me, that is. It would be great if other Windows Insiders could try to reproduce, to prevent this from suddenly affecting users post 2018.1.

Here's one piece of evidence it's NVDA-related and not just my system: JAWS does not have those problems. Reinstall of NVDA does not fix them, neither does restoring factory defaults.
Kind regards,

Felix

Felix G.

Hi Joseph,
Win+X says unknown for me and indeed does not read. The other menus that didn't read, however, didn't say unknown, just in case it matters.
Kind regards,
Felix

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> schrieb am Do., 8. Feb. 2018 um 20:46 Uhr:

Hi,

What about Windows+X menu? If NVDA does not read that menu, then don’t worry – fixed in newer builds.

Cheers,

Joseph

I'm running Windows Insider build 17074.1002 64 bit. With this build, the current NVDA Master won't read menus in Notepad. Perhaps more importantly, context menus for files and folders in Windows Explorer are also not read. For me, that is. It would be great if other Windows Insiders could try to reproduce, to prevent this from suddenly affecting users post 2018.1.

Here's one piece of evidence it's NVDA-related and not just my system: JAWS does not have those problems. Reinstall of NVDA does not fix them, neither does restoring factory defaults.
Kind regards,

Felix

Hi all,

To be specific: Microsoft and NV Access were notified about this problem weeks ago. After investigation from both sides (with help from Windows Insiders), it was determined that a new feature under testing might have been a factor in this problem. Consequently, removing this feature resolved this issue, as implied in the release notes for build 17083.

If you’re on build 17074 and notice this issue, I advise temporarily moving to fast ring or wait until the next slow ring build is released.

Cheers,

Joseph

What about Windows+X menu? If NVDA does not read that menu, then don’t worry – fixed in newer builds.

Cheers,

Joseph

I'm running Windows Insider build 17074.1002 64 bit. With this build, the current NVDA Master won't read menus in Notepad. Perhaps more importantly, context menus for files and folders in Windows Explorer are also not read. For me, that is. It would be great if other Windows Insiders could try to reproduce, to prevent this from suddenly affecting users post 2018.1.

Here's one piece of evidence it's NVDA-related and not just my system: JAWS does not have those problems. Reinstall of NVDA does not fix them, neither does restoring factory defaults.
Kind regards,

Felix

Hi,

Yes, this again confirms my hypothesis. See a message I sent earlier for the full explanation.

Cheers,

Joseph

I'm running Windows Insider build 17074.1002 64 bit. With this build, the current NVDA Master won't read menus in Notepad. Perhaps more importantly, context menus for files and folders in Windows Explorer are also not read. For me, that is. It would be great if other Windows Insiders could try to reproduce, to prevent this from suddenly affecting users post 2018.1.

Here's one piece of evidence it's NVDA-related and not just my system: JAWS does not have those problems. Reinstall of NVDA does not fix them, neither does restoring factory defaults.
Kind regards,

Felix

Felix G.

Great, thanks for the clarification, and sorry for unnecessarily kicking up a row here. Have a good one.

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> schrieb am Do., 8. Feb. 2018 um 20:53 Uhr:

Hi,

Yes, this again confirms my hypothesis. See a message I sent earlier for the full explanation.

Cheers,

Joseph

I'm running Windows Insider build 17074.1002 64 bit. With this build, the current NVDA Master won't read menus in Notepad. Perhaps more importantly, context menus for files and folders in Windows Explorer are also not read. For me, that is. It would be great if other Windows Insiders could try to reproduce, to prevent this from suddenly affecting users post 2018.1.

Here's one piece of evidence it's NVDA-related and not just my system: JAWS does not have those problems. Reinstall of NVDA does not fix them, neither does restoring factory defaults.
Kind regards,

Felix

Ralph Boersema

I am running Windows 10 and have the latest update of NVDA. Lately my Outlook 2016 has restarted almost every time I change folders in my Outlook Mail. Then, yesterday I found that it would present a problem and not be able to restart. I could also not start up Outlook from the Windows Start menu. With the help of sighted persons, we found that we needed to exit Nvda, open Outlook  and a particular mail folder, and only then start up NVDA.

Any suggestions?

Warmly,

Ralph

Brian's Mail list account

Deregistered dlls again?I have seen these menus vanish as far back as xp, and usually a reboot of windows fixes it or a re register of system dll files.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I'm running Windows Insider build 17074.1002 64 bit. With this build, the current NVDA Master won't read menus in Notepad. Perhaps more importantly, context menus for files and folders in Windows Explorer are also not read. For me, that is. It would be great if other Windows Insiders could try to reproduce, to prevent this from suddenly affecting users post 2018.1.
Here's one piece of evidence it's NVDA-related and not just my system: JAWS does not have those problems. Reinstall of NVDA does not fix them, neither does restoring factory defaults.
Kind regards,
Felix

Hi,

I think we’re walking on a parallel path (sorry for the bluntness)… No, this has NOTHING to do with registering DLL’s. This is Windows 10 Insider Preview.

Cheers,

Joseph