Topics

nvda-kor.org warning problem message

Scott VanDeWalle

Hello.
I was just sitting on the site tonight reading the teamtalk instructions and about the events.

Suddenly i got a message that i needed to install a firefox patch, it was from a site that i did not recognize, so i stopped it, thanksfully.
But i was told my volnerability was 93%.
I just thought I should ask, was i smart in not letting that go through, or is there really a patch for firefox.
Thank you

Scott

Patrick Le Baudour

Hi,

I think you were totally right, That does sound very fishy.
- If an update is needed, it should be by firefox itself or the add-ons update system, not from a third-party wevsite. Even if it did exist.
- "your vulnerability is 93%" sounds alarmist and doesn't mean anything. As a general rule, even if it had more meaningful information, websites can't estimate that kind of things anyway since they are kept from accessing most of your computer.

-- Patrick

Le 21/04/2016 04:08, Scott VanDeWalle a écrit :
Hello.
I was just sitting on the site tonight reading the teamtalk instructions
and about the events.

Suddenly i got a message that i needed to install a firefox patch, it
was from a site that i did not recognize, so i stopped it, thanksfully.
But i was told my volnerability was 93%.
I just thought I should ask, was i smart in not letting that go through,
or is there really a patch for firefox.
Thank you

Scott

well go to the about page and see what your firefox version is.
45.0.2 was released according to mozilla on the 11th of april.
Ofcause if you have update services on for mozilla programs you will not ever see any patches, as they are autoloaded in the background, sometimes you will have to restart or get a message that things are updating, but in most cases it just does unless it doesn't in which case it will tell you it needs to download a fresh coppy which it will then do and install.
There have been fake updates out there ofcause.
None for this year.
The last patch was 11 april.
It may therefore be that it will be safe to upgrade the patch.
If you go to help abbout there will be an update button, or a restart button, and such.
Even if you don't and close firefox it will update itself unless you don't have a right version.
going to firefox.com will either congradulate you that you are updated or say you need one.
Ofcause there are a few fake malware sites and addons for firefox but the last reported on google search first page was sometime in 2014.
Its most likely the true deal.
One issue with firefox and all mozilla programs I have found is that it does not always report the site right it may in fact support the site you are on as a parent site rather than the child site you are going to.
Especially if its a direct download.
Say I am brousing microsoft support but get a direct download from dropbox or another update or something.
In the download library it will say it came from microsoft which it didn't.
If that site has a web page associated with a file it will report right.

On 21/04/2016 2:08 p.m., Scott VanDeWalle wrote:
Hello.
I was just sitting on the site tonight reading the teamtalk instructions
and about the events.

Suddenly i got a message that i needed to install a firefox patch, it
was from a site that i did not recognize, so i stopped it, thanksfully.
But i was told my volnerability was 93%.
I just thought I should ask, was i smart in not letting that go through,
or is there really a patch for firefox.
Thank you

Scott

.

If configured firefox and its addons will selfupgrade when one exists.
Usually unless there is something wrong you don't notice.

On 21/04/2016 5:44 p.m., Patrick Le Baudour wrote:
[...]

Hello Sean.
Thank you for this info.
I checked my firefox version, and it is the latest one the 45.02 i think it is.
I appreciate the help.

Scott

On 4/21/2016 3:44 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

well then its a fake patch.
Remember in most cases unless otherwise or you have not load autoupdate services mozilla programs and addons actualy make prity sure you never see their updates and while that could be a problem if things screw up, you in theory don't need to see unless it says its why I use their stuff.