From: Josh Kennedy
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2016 3:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] espeak

i for one would love to have sapi version of espeak-ng with edward voice.

--
sent from Mozilla Thunderbird email client

Antony Stone

If anyone can suggest an open source synthesiser which is better than espeak,
and which NVDA could include, then please suggest it.

Complaints such as "X is crap" without any proposal for what would be a better
alternative, are rather useless.

Do people here really expect Mick and Jamie, plus the other developers of
NVDA, to create a speech synthesiser as well as a screenreader?

By all means offer better alternatives to what is available, but otherwise
please remember that this is free software, and if you don't like what it can
do, there are more expensive alternatives.

Antony.

On Thursday 21 April 2016 at 22:58:24, Peter Beasley wrote:

As far as I am concerned, Espeak should be called C speak. The C standing
for crap.

i for one would love to have sapi version of espeak-ng with edward voice.
--
Users don't know what they want until they see what they get.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Anthony,

I agree here. I've tried other synths and E-speak is the clearest of them all. I'm using the Max variant and it's very clear. Instead of complaining, we should be grateful for such a great screen reader like NVDA. Mick and Jamy have done a terrific job with it.

Rosemarie

i for one would love to have sapi version of espeak-ng with edward voice.
--
Users don't know what they want until they see what they get.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Lino Morales

Agree Peter. Try to understand it if you have a progressive hearing problem like my wife does. It ain't easy for her.

-----Original Message----- From: Josh Kennedy
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2016 3:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

i for one would love to have sapi version of espeak-ng with edward voice.

Since I know there's at least one Windows 10 user that's commented here (and I think these might be available on Windows 8.1, too) you should definitely give the SAPI 5 synthesizer with either of the two voices included with Windows:  Zira (female) or David (male).

These are by far and away the most natural sounding voices I've heard in my years working with screen readers.  If you're a fast typist they don't keep up with you on a letter-by-letter basis, if that's important.

The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.
      ~ H.L. Mencken

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

I like the David voice. He sounds pretty good--in fact, much better than microsoft Anna.

Since I know there's at least one Windows 10 user that's commented here (and I think these might be available on Windows 8.1, too) you should definitely give the SAPI 5 synthesizer with either of the two voices included with Windows: Zira (female) or David (male).

These are by far and away the most natural sounding voices I've heard in my years working with screen readers. If you're a fast typist they don't keep up with you on a letter-by-letter basis, if that's important.

The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.
~ H.L. Mencken

Devin Prater

I'd love the new Microsoft voices, but they're terribly laggy.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 21, 2016, at 8:51 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...> wrote:

Hi, Brian,

I like the David voice. He sounds pretty good--in fact, much better than microsoft Anna.

Since I know there's at least one Windows 10 user that's commented here (and I think these might be available on Windows 8.1, too) you should definitely give the SAPI 5 synthesizer with either of the two voices included with Windows: Zira (female) or David (male).

These are by far and away the most natural sounding voices I've heard in my years working with screen readers. If you're a fast typist they don't keep up with you on a letter-by-letter basis, if that's important.

The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.
~ H.L. Mencken

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Hey all,
In my opinion, Espeak is one of the better electronic synthesizers. It's a lot better than dectalk anyway, but having said that, I'm not that fond of Espeak, elequence, or dectalk. I prefer a more human sounding voice to read to me. It's probably best if we all remember two things.
1. NVDA is free. The screen reader itself surpasses the commercial screen readers in a lot of ways, and you don't have to pay a dime.
2. Other synthesizers are available for purchase. Codefactories vocalizer expressive and elequence is the cheapest package of them all and the vocalizer expressive voices are very good.

I like max, I actually tried the ng varient and unless its just me or my speaker setup is set up different while there is a small improvement in quality I can't tell the difference.

On 22/04/2016 9:46 a.m., Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Hi, Anthony,

I agree here. I've tried other synths and E-speak is the clearest of them all. I'm using the Max variant and it's very clear. Instead of complaining, we should be grateful for such a great screen reader like NVDA. Mick and Jamy have done a terrific job with it.

Rosemarie

i for one would love to have sapi version of espeak-ng with edward voice.
--
Users don't know what they want until they see what they get.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Rob

Shaun Everiss <@smeveriss> wrote:
I like max, I actually tried the ng varient and unless its just me or my
speaker setup is set up different while there is a small improvement in
quality I can't tell the difference.
I agree. They all basically sound the same. But then I'm also severely hearing impaired too.

I agree on that, but having tried my powerfull sapi5 realspeak as supposed to espeak for simple nav hmmm.
That doesn't mean I won't have a reading and non reading voice.
Espeak reminds me of the keynote gold and max is the best a second would be the nv speech player v1 or the enhanced espeak engine for nv speech.
I'd still like that devlopped.
The only other synth is eloquence, but the old sapi4 one that comes on some windoweyes disks and old symbian, there is a 16 bit version on symbian and also some more recent implimentations released on supernova but they just sound wrong.

On 22/04/2016 1:53 p.m., Chris Shook wrote:
Hey all,
In my opinion, Espeak is one of the better electronic synthesizers. It's
a lot better than dectalk anyway, but having said that, I'm not that
fond of Espeak, elequence, or dectalk. I prefer a more human sounding
voice to read to me. It's probably best if we all remember two things.
1. NVDA is free. The screen reader itself surpasses the commercial
screen readers in a lot of ways, and you don't have to pay a dime.
2. Other synthesizers are available for purchase. Codefactories
vocalizer expressive and elequence is the cheapest package of them all
and the vocalizer expressive voices are very good.

well thing is you would have to hear it to see if it sucks or not free tts is one that come to mind.
Another thing is the tt synth eloquence like synth for linux sold for 30 bucks but I am not sure if its an eloquence port or what exactly it is.