Topics

NVDA and a free office

Josh Kennedy

I just reset my son's windows10 laptop last night because he downloaded something he should not have and it messed it up. so i did a full reset telling it to rip everything apps files photos videos documents you name it rip it all out and start over with a fresh windows10. and so it did. so i decided to make google chrome his default web browser and i installed NVDA onto the fresh windows10 as well. my question is when he gets into school next year I would rather not be bad and pirate microsoft office because 1. its very big and 2. libreoffice is very little and can also handle the microsoft documents. i also figure ok I'm making him go google so might as well go the whole way. so my question is this, 1. is google drive client application accessible with NVDA? if not will i need java and the java access bridge to access libreoffice? and 3. will libreoffice let NVDA read charts and graphs in spreadsheets like it does in ms-excel and if not could this be added into NVDA so libreoffice with NVDA will behave much like microsoft office? or for accessibility sake should i just buy ms-office for my own win10 machine just for viewing and editing word files and spreadsheets accessibly but for my son just let him use libreoffice and google docs inside his chrome web browser since i found docs is not accessible with NVDA under chrome?

--
sent from Mozilla Thunderbird email client

Roger Stewart

If you just want to be able to view MS Office files, then just get the free Word Viewer. It will read anything Office can create, it just won't let you create or edit an existing file.

Roger

On 4/25/2016 7:41 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

What about trying open office.

[...]

V Stuart Foote

@Josh, *

Both LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice offer good no-cost open source assistive technology tool support on Windows having implemented the IAccessible2 API.

LibreOffice-- http://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/  (5.1.2 build released 2016-04-01 in either 32-bit or 64-bit, as opposed to the 5.0.5 build released 2016-02-08)

Apache OpenOffice -- http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html (4.1.2 build released 2015-10-30)

The Apache project limps along, but the 4.1.2 build should suffice for use with NVDA releases, but I would choose a LibreOffice build as its development model offers more resources for addressing any functional issues.

Stuart

hi.
libreoffice is accessible and you dont need to install java-java
access briedge to make it accessible.
just download libreoffice and enjoy it without any additional program,
no cust, open source, very great project, and support for more than
110 languages.
i am shure that libreoffice is the best selection!
thanks so much for your asking and god bless you.

On 4/25/16, V Stuart Foote <vstuart.foote@...> wrote:
@Josh, *
Both LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice offer good no-cost open source
assistive technology tool support on Windows having implemented the
IAccessible2 API.
LibreOffice-- http://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/  (5.1.2
build released 2016-04-01 in either 32-bit or 64-bit, as opposed to the
5.0.5 build released 2016-02-08)
Apache OpenOffice -- http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html (4.1.2
build released 2015-10-30)

The Apache project limps along, but the 4.1.2 build should suffice for use
with NVDA releases, but I would choose a LibreOffice build as its
development model offers more resources for addressing any functional
issues.
Stuart
holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

Dean Masters <dwmasters15@...>

Is the libera office spreadsheet readable with NVDA? I tried it with another screen reader and could not read it at all. I could read the Open Office spreadsheet but do have some problems with the word prrocessor and the other screen reader.

Dean

[...]

Hi, Dean,

I had trouble reading things with libre office so I switched to open office.

Rosemarie

[...]

Those who follow the Messenger-Prophet, the Ummi, whom they find written down with them in the Taurat and the Injeel [who] enjoins them good and forbids them evil, and makes lawful to them the good things and makes unlawful to them impure things, and removes from them their burden and the shackles which were upon them; so [as for] those who believe in him and honor him and help him, and follow the light which has been sent down with him, these it is that are the successful.
holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi,

I actually like open office much better. I tried libre office and found that I had to alt tab to get to the place where you choose what you want like a spread sheet or a text document.

[...]

The F6 and F10 keys are rather helpful in both LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice, suggest a close read of these resources:

https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Shortcuts_Accessibility

https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/General_Shortcut_Keys_in

Note: the dynamic nature of development in LibreOffice has led to a number of changes in the User Interface--notably some menu and dialog items that are listed in the wiki and on-line help files are not always correct and the documentation needs additional updating.  Just ask if you get stuck -- LibreOffice Nabble based mail list is here http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Accessibility-f2006038.html  and LibreOffice runs an Ask forum here: https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/questions/

Unfortunately the Apache OpenOffice Accessibility documentation was not updated following implementation of IAccessible2 support and still refers to MSAA support via Java Accessibility and the Java Accessibility Bridge.  However a vibrant user forum is still available to assist here: https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/index.php

Stuart

Gene

I don't consider such minor inconveniences to be meaningful.  If you have to issue an extra keystroke and that's all, that is a minor work around and doesn't indicate how the program performs overall when compared with another.  I don't know how the programs compare for blind people but I read somewhere that Libre Office is updated in a more timely manner and is more current.  As a blind computer user who uses more than just a small number of programs known to be fully accessible, such work arounds are likely to be needed in this or that program.

What, if any other differences, do you like about Open Office?

Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 7:35 PM

--
Those who follow the Messenger-Prophet, the Ummi, whom they find written down with them in the Taurat and the Injeel [who] enjoins them good and forbids them evil, and makes lawful to them the good things and makes unlawful to them impure things, and removes from them their burden and the shackles which were upon them; so [as for] those who believe in him and honor him and help him, and follow the light which has been sent down with him, these it is that are the successful.
holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.

hi stuart.
thanks so much for your guide and the links that you sent us.
i realy needed shortcut for accessibility and i appreciate you for this.
thanks again and devine mercy and blessings i wish for you.

On 4/26/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Pete <emac00@...>

Hi
Does libreoffice need any visual c+ redistributables to be installed?
Thanks!
Pete

On 4/25/2016 1:25 PM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
[...]

@Pete,

Yes, but the required MS Visual C++ redistributables are bundled with the LibreOffice installer.

If not already present on the system they will be installed. Remember to do the installation --"run as administrator" and you should have no issues.

Stuart

Pete <emac00@...>

  ok thanks!
  Pete

On 4/28/2016 4:14 PM, V Stuart Foote wrote:

@Pete,

Yes, but the required MS Visual C++ redistributables are bundled with the LibreOffice installer.

If not already present on the system they will be installed. Remember to do the installation --"run as administrator" and you should have no issues.

Stuart

It works but seems a little unresponsive when it starts, but that may well be tweakable.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-