Admin: Re: [nvda] Google drive nagging

Gene

I sent a message as moderator specifically asking you not to send thank you messages.  Did you see it?  If you want to write someone on list and say thank you along with another message such as your messages that ask people to write you privately, that's alright.  (I've seen four or perhaps more messages this evening that say nothing but thank you .  This is list clutter.  If you want. thank people in advance in your initial message or send one thank you message after you've seen enough replies that you think it's appropriate.  But no more than one. 

How many people would want to be on this or other lists if everyone who asked a question and got multiple answers sent thank you messages in response to every message they got?  The list would be three fourths thank you messages and no one would want to be on it.

Gene

----- Original Message ------
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2018 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Google drive nagging

thanks brian
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 8, 2018 10:01 PM

Well assuming windows 7 or later DRopbox seems to me to be faster and more intuitive in use.
 Brian

bglists@... 
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
This message sent from a Windows XP machine!
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2018 6:04 PM

in comparing google drive to dropbox, which one is more reliable and more accessible?

Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2018 1:34 PM

I use google back up and sync. It's very accessible and works well. I also ise iDrive as well for my more important stuff.

On Feb 8, 2018, at 1:12 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:

Well at  the moment it has just stopped synchronising so I guess that answers part of the question, nice of them to give me about half an hours warning. Thanks google.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <bglists@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2018 9:08 AM
Subject: [nvda] Google drive nagging

I see that Google drive are nagging me to update to the back up and restore new version. I disabled updates  some time ago to keep the old format as nvda would not work very well with the newer versions coming out and also they were crashing machines all over the place
Is it now safe to update as the cryptic message its putting up every so often is that its no longer supported, which could just mean its not ever going to get security updates or that they intend to stop users with the old software from accessing the system any more. I have no idea which, but a few days after Google also nagging me to not use email clients to access their accounts they do seem to be getting a bit too aggressive  toward their users in my view.

Is there any other easy to use cloud storage that can run on old xp machines,which is the only real reason for using google drive at all since dropbox stopped its software running, mainly due to the fact that they started to use a newer code compiler that made code that fell over on xp.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Michael Capelle <michael.capelle@...>

hey gene, this is how i run my list to, i also do not allow me to messages, or one liners.

Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2018 10:26 PM
Subject: Admin: Re: [nvda] Google drive nagging

I sent a message as moderator specifically asking you not to send thank you messages.  Did you see it?  If you want to write someone on list and say thank you along with another message such as your messages that ask people to write you privately, that's alright.  (I've seen four or perhaps more messages this evening that say nothing but thank you .  This is list clutter.  If you want. thank people in advance in your initial message or send one thank you message after you've seen enough replies that you think it's appropriate.  But no more than one. 

How many people would want to be on this or other lists if everyone who asked a question and got multiple answers sent thank you messages in response to every message they got?  The list would be three fourths thank you messages and no one would want to be on it.

Gene

thanks brian

Well assuming windows 7 or later DRopbox seems to me to be faster and more intuitive in use.
Brian

bglists@... 
Sent via blueyonder.

in comparing google drive to dropbox, which one is more reliable and more accessible?

I use google back up and sync. It's very accessible and works well. I also ise iDrive as well for my more important stuff.

On Feb 8, 2018, at 1:12 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:

Well at  the moment it has just stopped synchronising so I guess that answers part of the question, nice of them to give me about half an hours warning. Thanks google.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <bglists@...>

I see that Google drive are nagging me to update to the back up and restore new version. I disabled updates  some time ago to keep the old format as nvda would not work very well with the newer versions coming out and also they were crashing machines all over the place
Is it now safe to update as the cryptic message its putting up every so often is that its no longer supported, which could just mean its not ever going to get security updates or that they intend to stop users with the old software from accessing the system any more. I have no idea which, but a few days after Google also nagging me to not use email clients to access their accounts they do seem to be getting a bit too aggressive  toward their users in my view.

Is there any other easy to use cloud storage that can run on old xp machines,which is the only real reason for using google drive at all since dropbox stopped its software running, mainly due to the fact that they started to use a newer code compiler that made code that fell over on xp.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

This is a rule in Netiquette and I would think that the majority of lists enforce it since such messages have no useful or additional information, just thanks. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, February 09, 2018 2:12 AM
Subject: Re: Admin: Re: [nvda] Google drive nagging

hey gene, this is how i run my list to, i also do not allow me to messages, or one liners.

Gene

thanks brian

Brian

bglists@... 
Sent via blueyonder.

I use google back up and sync. It's very accessible and works well. I also ise iDrive as well for my more important stuff.

Well at  the moment it has just stopped synchronising so I guess that answers part of the question, nice of them to give me about half an hours warning. Thanks google.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

I see that Google drive are nagging me to update to the back up and restore new version. I disabled updates  some time ago to keep the old format as nvda would not work very well with the newer versions coming out and also they were crashing machines all over the place
Is it now safe to update as the cryptic message its putting up every so often is that its no longer supported, which could just mean its not ever going to get security updates or that they intend to stop users with the old software from accessing the system any more. I have no idea which, but a few days after Google also nagging me to not use email clients to access their accounts they do seem to be getting a bit too aggressive  toward their users in my view.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Brian, Kerryn and all

Brian
I saw your message about my message not being received by you.  I was curious and checked the archives.  It appears not to be there.  I'm not sure why the message didn't get to the list.  So my message last night appears to be the first time my discussion reached the list. 

I'm sorry the message said I sent a message specifically to you.  While there is nothing wrong with that, since you didn't see it, I should have just said I sent a message asking you or asking that, or something without the emphasis. 

Gene

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Possibly is, but a lot of people see it as being polite. I'd rather it said thanks to xxx and xxx so and so fixed my problem or did not fix it etc, as that would advise people on where to look next time.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'

Sent: Friday, February 09, 2018 12:04 PM

This is a rule in Netiquette and I would think that the majority of lists enforce it since such messages have no useful or additional information, just thanks.

Gene

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I sent a message as moderator specifically asking you not to send thank you messages. Did you see it? If you want to write someone on list and say thank you along with another message such as your messages that ask people to write you privately, that's alright. (I've seen four or perhaps more messages this evening that say nothing but thank you . This is list clutter. If you want. thank people in advance in your initial message or send one thank you message after you've seen enough replies that you think it's appropriate. But no more than one.

How many people would want to be on this or other lists if everyone who asked a question and got multiple answers sent thank you messages in response to every message they got? The list would be three fourths thank you messages and no one would want to be on it.

Gene

thanks brian

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

On Feb 8, 2018, at 1:12 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Well at the moment it has just stopped synchronising so I guess that answers part of the question, nice of them to give me about half an hours warning. Thanks google.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>

I see that Google drive are nagging me to update to the back up and restore new version. I disabled updates some time ago to keep the old format as nvda would not work very well with the newer versions coming out and also they were crashing machines all over the place
Is it now safe to update as the cryptic message its putting up every so often is that its no longer supported, which could just mean its not ever going to get security updates or that they intend to stop users with the old software from accessing the system any more. I have no idea which, but a few days after Google also nagging me to not use email clients to access their accounts they do seem to be getting a bit too aggressive toward their users in my view.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Don't worry, I get this sort of odd behaviour all the time here, including messages out of order and all sorts.
Weird, but probably explainable.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Friday, February 09, 2018 12:44 PM

Brian, Kerryn and all

Brian
I saw your message about my message not being received by you. I was curious and checked the archives. It appears not to be there. I'm not sure why the message didn't get to the list. So my message last night appears to be the first time my discussion reached the list.

Kerryn
I'm sorry the message said I sent a message specifically to you. While there is nothing wrong with that, since you didn't see it, I should have just said I sent a message asking you or asking that, or something without the emphasis.

Gene

Gene

I'm not sure what you mean by advise people where to look.  People who search archives don't search in that way, looking for messages that say, X or Y, meaning this or that person solved my proboem.  They search for the problem.  If everyone did what you are advocating, the list would be fulll of such messages and most users would not be happy with the unending stream of such messages. 
it would be very undesirable for most users, who would leave the list.  When you do something, a good general rule is that if the thing would cause significant problems or inconveniences if everyone did it, it shouldn't be done.  Of course, there are exceptions to every rule but that's a good general rule. 

Gene

----- Original message -----
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2018 10:34 AM

Possibly is, but a lot of people see it as being polite. I'd rather it said
thanks to xxx and xxx so and so fixed my problem or did not fix it etc, as
that would advise people on where to look next time.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2018 12:04 PM

This is a rule in Netiquette and I would think that the majority of lists
enforce it since such messages have no useful or additional information,
just thanks.

Gene

hey gene, this is how i run my list to, i also do not allow me to messages,
or one liners.

I sent a message as moderator specifically asking you not to send thank you
messages.  Did you see it?  If you want to write someone on list and say
thank you along with another message such as your messages that ask people
to write you privately, that's alright.  (I've seen four or perhaps more
messages this evening that say nothing but thank you .  This is list
clutter.  If you want. thank people in advance in your initial message or
send one thank you message after you've seen enough replies that you think
it's appropriate.  But no more than one.

How many people would want to be on this or other lists if everyone who
asked a question and got multiple answers sent thank you messages in
response to every message they got?  The list would be three fourths thank
you messages and no one would want to be on it.

Gene

thanks brian

Well assuming windows 7 or later DRopbox seems to me to be faster and more
intuitive in use.
  Brian

bglists@...
  Sent via blueyonder.

in comparing google drive to dropbox, which one is more reliable and
more accessible?

I use google back up and sync. It's very accessible and works well. I
also ise iDrive as well for my more important stuff.

On Feb 8, 2018, at 1:12 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
<bglists@...> wrote:

Well at  the moment it has just stopped synchronising so I guess
that answers part of the question, nice of them to give me about half an
hours warning. Thanks google.
        Brian

bglists@...
        Sent via blueyonder.
        ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io" <bglists@...>

I see that Google drive are nagging me to update to the back up
and restore new version. I disabled updates  some time ago to keep the old
format as nvda would not work very well with the newer versions coming out
and also they were crashing machines all over the place
          Is it now safe to update as the cryptic message its putting up
every so often is that its no longer supported, which could just mean its
not ever going to get security updates or that they intend to stop users
with the old software from accessing the system any more. I have no idea
which, but a few days after Google also nagging me to not use email clients
to access their accounts they do seem to be getting a bit too aggressive
toward their users in my view.

Is there any other easy to use cloud storage that can run on old
xp machines,which is the only real reason for using google drive at all
since dropbox stopped its software running, mainly due to the fact that they
started to use a newer code compiler that made code that fell over on xp.
          Brian

bglists@...
          Sent via blueyonder.