When posts contain email addresses

Giles Turnbull

Hi all,

when people say we can email them by email and give the email address, why does the forum system cut everything after the @ symbol out?

For example, in Quentin's reply to Ryan Cho's question about Kindle on Windows, it says:

‘If they can recreate the issue and then get a copy of the log to send us that might help shed light on what is happening - they (or you) can email it to me at info@... and I'll have a look.’

So the email address doesn't appear in the post, nor when I right lick on it and select ‘copy email address’ does it copy the email address, only info@...

Is this something in my forum preferences, or should I spell out email addresses like nvda.user at gmail dot com?

Since this isn't related to the Kindle post I've posted it as a new thread, but this is the link to the Kindle topic in case needed: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/10299590

Giles

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I have to say I'd not noticed as when I look at the bottom of most posts the system has a link to reply to list or reply to sender, in each case the expected template opens.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2018 7:41 AM
Subject: [nvda] When posts contain email addresses

Hi all,

when people say we can email them by email and give the email address, why does the forum system cut everything after the @ symbol out?

For example, in Quentin's reply to Ryan Cho's question about Kindle on Windows, it says:

‘If they can recreate the issue and then get a copy of the log to send us that might help shed light on what is happening - they (or you) can email it to me at info@... and I'll have a look.’

So the email address doesn't appear in the post, nor when I right lick on it and select ‘copy email address’ does it copy the email address, only info@...

Is this something in my forum preferences, or should I spell out email addresses like nvda.user at gmail dot com?

Since this isn't related to the Kindle post I've posted it as a new thread, but this is the link to the Kindle topic in case needed: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/10299590

Giles

Quentin Christensen

I actually hadn't noticed either, although I'm probably one of the main ones who regularly writes my e-mail address in messages.  Yes most e-mail clients (and the web interface) have facilities to reply to sender - and I'm happy to take e-mail to either info or quentin.  I expect the system strips the full e-mail address to protect people from spam.  There are bots which scour the web and publicly accessible forums and grab any e-mail addresses they can out of posts and pages and anywhere else in order to build up lists to sell to send out spam.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 8:42 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
I have to say I'd not noticed as when I look at the bottom of most posts the system has a link to reply to list or reply to sender, in each case the expected  template opens.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
----- Original Message ----- From: "Giles Turnbull" <giles.turnbull@...>

Hi all,

Giles

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

I take the view that as this is a list only address, I dump all email via rules that do not belong in any of the list folders into a different folder which I only look at occasionally, I also use imap with just the inbox and spam folders selected to look for things that go wrong.

I also have a junk folder in the pop3 part to send threads that I have lost interest in or are not needed by me.
I do wish that Microsoft's latest email offering had rules. it would make me more interested in actually using windows ten stuff. grin.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Friday, February 09, 2018 9:45 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] When posts contain email addresses

I actually hadn't noticed either, although I'm probably one of the main
ones who regularly writes my e-mail address in messages. Yes most e-mail
clients (and the web interface) have facilities to reply to sender - and
I'm happy to take e-mail to either info or quentin. I expect the system
strips the full e-mail address to protect people from spam. There are bots
which scour the web and publicly accessible forums and grab any e-mail
addresses they can out of posts and pages and anywhere else in order to
build up lists to sell to send out spam.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 8:42 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <
bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

I have to say I'd not noticed as when I look at the bottom of most posts
the system has a link to reply to list or reply to sender, in each case the
expected template opens.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Giles Turnbull" <
giles.turnbull@gmail.com>

Hi all,

when people say we can email them by email and give the email address, why
does the forum system cut everything after the @ symbol out?

For example, in Quentin's reply to Ryan Cho's question about Kindle on
Windows, it says:

‘If they can recreate the issue and then get a copy of the log to send us
that might help shed light on what is happening - they (or you) can email
it to me at info@... and I'll have a look.’

So the email address doesn't appear in the post, nor when I right lick on
it and select ‘copy email address’ does it copy the email address, only
info@...

Is this something in my forum preferences, or should I spell out email
addresses like nvda.user at gmail dot com?

Since this isn't related to the Kindle post I've posted it as a new
thread, but this is the link to the Kindle topic in case needed:
https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/10299590

Giles

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available:
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

We'll see if this is a general behavior.  I don't recall ever seeng this problem reading mail with an e-mail program.  Are you reading messages with an e-mail client or on line?

Here is a fictitious test address or two. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, February 09, 2018 1:41 AM

Hi all,

Giles

Those work in html on outlook express. I think maybe it has something to do with the way its being viewed in that case.

However it does still stand that its often easier to use the links if the quotes are not too long. Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Friday, February 09, 2018 12:01 PM

We'll see if this is a general behavior. I don't recall ever seeng this problem reading mail with an e-mail program. Are you reading messages with an e-mail client or on line?

Bob@parsnips.com info@turnips.com

Gene

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi all,

Giles

Gene

I read mail as plain text.  The addresses aren't links for that reason but the full address is displayed. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, February 09, 2018 10:32 AM

Those work in html on outlook express. I think maybe it has something to do
with the way its being viewed in that case.

However it does still stand that its often easier to use the links if the
quotes are not too long. Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2018 12:01 PM

We'll see if this is a general behavior.  I don't recall ever seeng this
problem reading mail with an e-mail program.  Are you reading messages with
an e-mail client or on line?

Bob@...  info@...

Gene

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi all,

when people say we can email them by email and give the email address, why
does the forum system cut everything after the @ symbol out?

For example, in Quentin's reply to Ryan Cho's question about Kindle on
Windows, it says:

‘If they can recreate the issue and then get a copy of the log to send us
that might help shed light on what is happening - they (or you) can email it
to me at info@... and I'll have a look.’

So the email address doesn't appear in the post, nor when I right lick on it
and select ‘copy email address’ does it copy the email address, only
info@...

Is this something in my forum preferences, or should I spell out email
addresses like nvda.user at gmail dot com?

Since this isn't related to the Kindle post I've posted it as a new thread,
but this is the link to the Kindle topic in case needed:
https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/10299590

Giles

I also noticed that Groups.io cuts out the full email address when viewing on the web. Not sure either why this has happened, probably something to do with antispam protection.

Gene

Not just Groups.io, any list serve that is remotely competent doesn't show addressses in the Internet interface.  There are spam bots that look at sites all over the Internet looking for e-mail addresses to add to spam lists.  The addresses are left intact in messages that go directly to people.  They aren't shown on the Internet.

Gene

Sent: Friday, February 09, 2018 6:53 PM

I also noticed that Groups.io cuts out the full email address when viewing on the web. Not sure either why this has happened, probably something to do with antispam protection.

Groups.io "fig leafs" all e-mail addresses that are not actual groups.io addresses in its web interface.  There has been extensive and heated debate about this on the beta group, where features of Groups.io as a whole are discussed and new features and changes to existing ones are proposed.

I am of the "if you send it out by e-mail unmasked it should be presented in precisely the same way on the web interface" contingent, but we're the minority.  Up until very recently most online forums absolutely did not do this kind of e-mail address truncation.  The concern about spambots is, in my opinion, not really legitimate as the methods for culling e-mail addresses in cyberspace are so many that you're never going to stop it.  Not to mention that any e-mail provider and/or e-mail client worth its salt has had spam filtering built in for decades now.

Spam is a fact of life.   If I elect to post my own e-mail address in a message I'd prefer that this address be shown, as I'm aware of the risks.  Anyone who's been using the internet and online communication methods of any sort for more than a few months should be well aware of the risks.

Groups.io is not ever going to change this, however.   This is why I tell people that if you wish to supply an e-mail address you are permitted to supply (which means your own or addresses you have legitimate control over, but no others) you should use the "written out" method, e.g. bitbucket120 at gmail dot com.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

Niels Bohr

So how come then that the email list does not have this truncation?
I agree with you. The best way to educate a user about the risks is to let them make mistakes and hence email addresses are these days often disposable so if you are getting spam, change the address and if needed create one separately for any use that might attract it. It has not been my experience after being around since the beginning of the public internet, that you get more spam or scams whether you publish or not, it perhaps was more rife in the early days but not now. I can tell for example that some have hacked isp databases by the fact that they use the random address you are given at sign up which you change to a memorable alias, leaving the old one still intact, but never used on line
Of course employees of some companies are crooks, though they probably would not suggest they are, what is the harm of a mailing list etc.

So yes, if you are a user of the web based forums I do not agree with this nanny hand holding stuff when there used to be warnings on them all and it was up to the user to be careful.
Sorry rant over. Its off topic and I'll castigate myself soon as I log off!

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 4:13 AM

Groups.io "fig leafs" all e-mail addresses that are not actual groups.io addresses in its web interface. There has been extensive and heated debate about this on the beta group, where features of Groups.io as a whole are discussed and new features and changes to existing ones are proposed.

I am of the "if you send it out by e-mail unmasked it should be presented in precisely the same way on the web interface" contingent, but we're the minority. Up until very recently most online forums absolutely did not do this kind of e-mail address truncation. The concern about spambots is, in my opinion, not really legitimate as the methods for culling e-mail addresses in cyberspace are so many that you're never going to stop it. Not to mention that any e-mail provider and/or e-mail client worth its salt has had spam filtering built in for decades now.

Spam is a fact of life. If I elect to post my own e-mail address in a message I'd prefer that this address be shown, as I'm aware of the risks. Anyone who's been using the internet and online communication methods of any sort for more than a few months should be well aware of the risks.

Groups.io is not ever going to change this, however. This is why I tell people that if you wish to supply an e-mail address you are permitted to supply (which means your own or addresses you have legitimate control over, but no others) you should use the "written out" method, e.g. bitbucket120 at gmail dot com.
--
Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299 (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

* * *The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.* * But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another* * profound truth.*

* ~ * *Niels Bohr*

Its total rubbish these days of course, kind of like the old proverb. shut the stable door after the horse has bolted?
Oh well.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:53 AM