Topics

about taskmanager

P. Otter

hello, a long, long time ago, it was possible for me to use the taskmanager.
so it was possible to stop a programm to run.
now, i've problems with my skype, i've updated it to 7.40 but there is something wrong in this version.
i'm using windows 10 (newest version) and nvda2017.4
from the moment i'm running 7.40 of skype, and someone is calling me, i hear skype ringing, that is as usual.
but when i accepted the call, skype keeps ringing, also when i've ended the call, skype keeps ringing until i've stoped skype in the taskmanager or i've reboot my computer.
what i wrote before, it was a long time ago possible to use the taskmager but now i only hear list, list, list.
there is nothing i can do else than reboot my computer.
that is very annoing
is there a possibillity to use the taskmanager again or ofcaurse a solution to use skype without false ringing problems?
i have 64 bit windows 10 running.
thank you in advance for your answer
regards
paul otter

Felix G.

Hi Paul,
Task Manager is a bit slow on Windows 10 due to the way it implements UIA. Make sure you got the Windows 10 Essentials add-on installed, and after opening Task Manager, give it some time to fully establish communication with NVDA. For me, anything up to a minute or even slightly more is unfortunately normal.
Greetings,
Felix

P. Otter <pam.otter@...> schrieb am Fr., 9. Feb. 2018 um 13:13 Uhr:

[...]

David Griffith

I mormally find with Narrator Task Manager responds pretty much instantly.

Narrator does not interact with Task Manager in the same  way  as NVDA as you need to travel across all the eleements  headings for  each process rather than simply cursorring down the list of processes as you might expect with NVDA but as I say it is pretty instantaneous and you can get to where you want  pretty easily. Just  turn on scan mode with caps lock space bar and simply cursor down through the window. You will hear each process followed by the reading for each process like CPU etc but eventually you will reach the next process down. Continue down through the list to get to where you want to go.

David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog

[...]

Hi,

It also depends on which view Task Manager is in, as it defaults to showing you fewer details.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Hi everyone.

I replaced Windows 10 Task Manager with Process Explorer from Sysinternals, because of the speed problem. The “fewer details” view in task manager isn’t that useful, and I found both NVDA and jAWS to be so sluggish in the detailed view that Task Manager was basically intolerable to use. Process Explorer has more capability, but also responds very quickly and works just as well with a screen-reader as Task manager really should. The program and all the others in the suite are owned by Microsoft now and there is an option within Process Explorer that enables you to replace the OS task manager. This means your ctrl-shift-esc keyboard command will activate it. Pretty neat.

[...]

Yeah. I consider myself a patient person, but that is intolerable. One of the benefits of Task manager is to be able to quickly and efficiently kill stalled processes, for instance. Again, try Process Explorer instead. J

[...]

thanks man!
i'm happy again!
cheers
paul otter

Op 9-2-2018 om 15:46 schreef Felix G.:

[...]

Marten Post Uiterweer

Paul,

I don't know how it works with NVDA, but you can also look at an alternative like Process explorer from Sysinternals and Sysinternals is from Microsoft.
Process explorer can replace the taskmanager and is much fastr but as I said: don't know how it works with NVDA.

Something you have to know:
In a 64 bit windows it is advised to use the 64bit version of process explorer. In the menu there is an option to replace taskmanager. When you press ctrl-shift-esc, it will open process explorer.
There is no option to undo this action.

When you start the 32bit version of process explorer you can uncheck the replace taskmanager option.

Regards, Marten

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 23:59:26 +0100 "P. Otter" <pam.otter@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Hmm so one is forced to wonder why they do not ship it as standard. I suspect we here have a situation where its only slow for us blind folk, and this is probably due to the usual issues of slow UI routines again then.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Well you can always set all calls to autoanswer.

You can also check your communications page in sound settings to make sure that its not doing anything.

I have never had that issue on 7 but what I have noticed is that i have had to answer calls from the contact itself or message ariea rather than the answer menu.

I am unsure about the answering but to be honest if you set it to autoanswer the phone will not ring which is fine if in front of your system.

On 10/02/2018 1:13 a.m., P. Otter wrote:
[...]

.

Well I am really sick of this, task manager is so crappy and useless because of how it is the win7 one just worked.

I think its time for another alternit to task manager because crappy uia is obviously sucking.

I still say dispite all the new tech thats going on with uia that old crappy crap that it is the old msaa and older decade old out of date and now crappy stuff is still good for the user.

Just because microsoft says its old and crap now doesn't mean the users share the same experience.

Xp is crap because microsoft says it is, yet I am sure it started faster than win10 or 7 ever did on standard hard drives and there was nothing wrong with its interface.

I do wander if there are other task managers that will do simple things, processes and apps, the rest of it can go to the dogs for all I care.

And with all the cpu slowdowns going on due to updates and all the issues around that even the workstation my dad uses even with a lot of stuff taken off is now slow.

I have older i3 units and older systems that while were just barely usefull and some newer systems that were quite speedy, I may as well use for target shooting due to them being so slow they don't work well with anything.

I am glad I still use 7.

Serious outside my blustering, something has to get done with task manager, are ther alternitives, will an older win7 task manager work in the mean time, can the newer task manager get faster.

Universal apps are not like this, if there were like this users would be really angry.

On 10/02/2018 3:46 a.m., Felix G. wrote:
[...]

Still a bit round about, for me I have it where the system semi crashes and freezes till task manager opens fully.

Thats not good enough, if we need it well then what.

Narator, and navigating round like that just sucks badly.

Sorry but what I like is the first letter nav for a process you can't get this, seriously, this is really putting me off upgrading.

Task manager on 2 systems shows this slowness and on a really new 7th gen i5 its the only program that makes the system unstable.

On 10/02/2018 4:25 a.m., David Griffith wrote:
[...]

Hmmm I don't know why ms don't include all the sysinternals in a feature set download, but I am going to get into that I think.

Maybe even take sys internals as a portable app.

I havn't really looked at that suite with 7 but maybe I will.

On 10/02/2018 9:47 a.m., JM Casey wrote:
[...]

Christo de Klerk

Because of a recommendation on this list I downloaded and installed Process Explorer from SysInternals, but it is totally inaccessible with NVDA, not usable at all.

Regards

Christo

On 2018/02/11 12:29 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

What makes you think they are not. I'm always being told to get up to date, yet those I know who have seem to have no end of issues in windows 10, the main one, sadly is having to wait for a surprise every few months when Microsoft create a new set of wheels and usually forget to tighten the wheel nuts resulting in one dropping off, so a new fix comes out to superglue it back on. There is a lot to be said for good design and adaptability baked in at the start, rather than this current messing about with operating systems conceived over a coffee or so it seems. By now windows should be a core and have several skins which include the apis that work, so we can make it look and feel like we want for a given task or for those who are used to a particular way of things working.
There will always be security issues and attempting to block holes will always go on and its no good trying to make bomb proof browsers that only half work or whatever only to find its the bloomin hardware which is bust in the first place. Honestly its like some comedy sit com at the moment. Loads of people talking the talk but not actually doing a lot.
Like everything, we are the weakest link in the main, I'm surprised nobody has suggested an upgrade for ourselves by now!
Anyway. getting back to the subject for once, nvda would be much easier to make work if the playing field we were working in did not keep on being dug up by moles and termites. I hope you get my drift.
[...]

You sure about that? Older versions were a bit of a mess, but I've been told they fixed it as long as you have the latest version of windows and the add on.
[...]

If by the add-on you mean the Windows 10 App Essentials add-on, then yes to both questions. Not just the most updated Windows and add-on, but also the latest NVDA master snapshot. With all that going, Process Explorer is unusable with NVDA. You can try it for yourself.

Regards

Christo

On 2018/02/11 10:23 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
You sure about that? Older versions were a bit of a mess, but I've been told they fixed it as long as you have the latest version of windows and the add on.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Christo de Klerk" <christodeklerk@...>

[...]

Agree – I had exactly the same experience.

Running latest version of NVDA with Win 10 essentials.

The program opens but all you hear in both Windows is list

I tried OCR but was told that there was no recognisable text.

I went to investigate options and show process tree was disabled with no apparent way to enable it so it may be just that the program does not work rather than being an accessibility  issue.

David Griffith

David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog

Because of a recommendation on this list I downloaded and installed

Process Explorer from SysInternals, but it is totally inaccessible with

NVDA, not usable at all.

Regards

Christo

On 2018/02/11 12:29 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

> Hmmm I don't know why ms don't include all the sysinternals in a

> feature set download, but I am going to get into that I think.

> Maybe even take sys internals as a portable app.

> I havn't really looked at that suite with 7 but maybe I will.

> On 10/02/2018 9:47 a.m., JM Casey wrote:

>> Hi everyone.

>> I replaced Windows 10 Task Manager with Process Explorer from

>> Sysinternals, because of the speed problem. The “fewer details” view

>> in task manager isn’t that useful, and I found both NVDA and jAWS to

>> be so sluggish in the detailed view that Task Manager was basically

>> intolerable to use. Process Explorer has more capability, but also

>> responds very quickly and works just as well with a screen-reader as

>> Task manager really should. The program and all the others in the

>> suite are owned by Microsoft now and there is an option within

>> Process Explorer that enables you to replace the OS task manager.

>> This means your ctrl-shift-esc keyboard command will activate it.

>> Pretty neat.

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

the program works fine with Jaws.

Because of a recommendation on this list I downloaded and installed

Process Explorer from SysInternals, but it is totally inaccessible with

NVDA, not usable at all.

Regards

Christo

On 2018/02/11 12:29 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

> Hmmm I don't know why ms don't include all the sysinternals in a

> feature set download, but I am going to get into that I think.

> Maybe even take sys internals as a portable app.

> I havn't really looked at that suite with 7 but maybe I will.

> On 10/02/2018 9:47 a.m., JM Casey wrote:

>> Hi everyone.

>> I replaced Windows 10 Task Manager with Process Explorer from

>> Sysinternals, because of the speed problem. The “fewer details” view

>> in task manager isn’t that useful, and I found both NVDA and jAWS to

>> be so sluggish in the detailed view that Task Manager was basically

>> intolerable to use. Process Explorer has more capability, but also

>> responds very quickly and works just as well with a screen-reader as

>> Task manager really should. The program and all the others in the

>> suite are owned by Microsoft now and there is an option within

>> Process Explorer that enables you to replace the OS task manager.

>> This means your ctrl-shift-esc keyboard command will activate it.

>> Pretty neat.

David Griffith

Yes you are correct – If I switch to Jaws the list of processes become readable.

When I switch back to NVDA all I hear is Pane when I try to navigate to the same window.

Slightly odd.