Topics

Now available: DAISY version of Welcome to NVDA 2018

Hi everyone,

Thanks to AccessiDocs project from Pennsylvania Council of the Blind, an audio DAISY version of Welcome to NVDA 2018 tutorial set is now available from:

http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/DB-Welcome_to_NVDA_2018-by-Joseph_lee.zip

The DAISY book is a bit out of date, but for the most part, it is up to date.

Also, a UK-based charity named BCAB has offered to distribute this tutorial set on physical media for a fee.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Joseph

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Joseph,

I'm not able to read the daisy format of the tutorial. Do you have to have a special player or is this a word document?

Rosemarie

Thanks to AccessiDocs project from Pennsylvania Council of the Blind, an audio DAISY version of Welcome to NVDA 2018 tutorial set is now available from:

http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/DB-Welcome_to_NVDA_2018-by-Joseph_lee.zip

The DAISY book is a bit out of date, but for the most part, it is up to date.

Also, a UK-based charity named BCAB has offered to distribute this tutorial set on physical media for a fee.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

The audio recordings are in mp3 format, which may explain why this isn’t working.

Cheers,

Joseph

I'm not able to read the daisy format of the tutorial. Do you have to have a special player or is this a word document?

Rosemarie

Thanks to AccessiDocs project from Pennsylvania Council of the Blind, an audio DAISY version of Welcome to NVDA 2018 tutorial set is now available from:

http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/DB-Welcome_to_NVDA_2018-by-Joseph_lee.zip

The DAISY book is a bit out of date, but for the most part, it is up to date.

Also, a UK-based charity named BCAB has offered to distribute this tutorial set on physical media for a fee.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

You need an mp3 player unless you can look and play the files separately.  I haven't looked at the layout of Daisy books enough to know.  the whole point of the daisy format is to be able to see material as you listen.  JAWS has training material in the daisy format.  You can listen to the text, listen to the audio, or skim or search the text to find something and then, listen to the audio.  The two are synchronized.  There is no additional benefit in listening to the mp3 files in the Daisy book as stand alone files in an mp3 player.  You already can get the tutorial in that form..

I should also say that I have hardly used Daisy material.  Perhaps there is just Daisy material that is almost all just recorded audio.  If so, I would think there would be some sort of text you can look at that indicates the beginning of sections and perhaps gives names of the different sections so you can search for the section you want, then start listening to the audio at that point.

The audio recordings are in mp3 format, which may explain why this isn’t working.

Cheers,

Joseph

I'm not able to read the daisy format of the tutorial. Do you have to have a special player or is this a word document?

Rosemarie

Thanks to AccessiDocs project from Pennsylvania Council of the Blind, an audio DAISY version of Welcome to NVDA 2018 tutorial set is now available from:

http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/DB-Welcome_to_NVDA_2018-by-Joseph_lee.zip

The DAISY book is a bit out of date, but for the most part, it is up to date.

Also, a UK-based charity named BCAB has offered to distribute this tutorial set on physical media for a fee.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Joseph

Richard Bartholomew

Pure audio DAISY allows you, provided it’s been properly structured, to jump to the start of chapters, sections, paragraphs etc; however, you do need a DAISY-compatible player such as the Victor Reader Stream or Plextalk or DAISY software to take advantage of this.

Richard Bartholomew

[...]

Thank you. I do have the original tutorial that Joseph did on my external music drive. I don't have plex-talk or a victor stream reader but the original tutorial will be just fine for me.

Thanks again.

[...]

David Griffith

Unless I have a corrupted download there is a problem with the Daisy file in this download.

I have tried it in a couple of applications and it is being reported as unreadable in both. This is possibly why people are not managing to read it as a Daisy Book.

For example when I tried to open the daisy package.odf in FS  Reader it reported that the file was unreadable . When I try to open it from the context menu in Explorer and  point to FS Reader it caused it to crash. As an experiment I tried to also open it in calibre to see the actual file contexnts and calibre also reported it as unreadable.

However I did manage to open it in Notepad.

However  no daisy reader I have   can interpret it as a book.

David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog

[...]

I did find them as mp3 files. I don't have a device like the victor stream or plex-talk to be able to jump from section to section.

[...]

Clive Pallett

Hello Gene,

You can copy it to HumanWare's victor Reader players and depending on the structure you can navigate by different levels, e.g. headings, chapter, page, etc.  I have just downloaded the zipped archive and copied it to my victor Reader Stream 2.  There are three levels of navigation, chapter, heading and phrase, and whatever time jump you have selected.  .  There is only audio playback, there isn't associated text.  Before each chapter, there is the NVDA installation music.

Many thanks to Joseph for all his hard work recording the tutorial.

Best wishes,

Clive Pallett

Gerardo Corripio

It's an audio file; not a text-based. And yes you need a special player to play these.

--
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird

Craig

Hi.

I got a data error when unarchiving the file

[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Rose Marie,

If you have an NLS player, you should be able to use it for Daisy books.  Of course you won't get a text accompaniment, but it will play them and if properly constructed, you can move by chapters, sections ETC.

[...]

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Ron,

I don't have an NLS player. I still have the original tutorial that's not in daisy format.

[...]

inamuddinInam Uddin

Is it possible for me to listen this on my windows 10 desktop PC?

If so, what can I do?

Charlsdarwin1

You can contact me via gmail:
inamuddin09@...
Inamuddin.ronaque@...
outlook:
inam092@...
yahoo:
inamuddin2010@...
Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
Call me on my cell numbers:
+92-300-2227598
+92-334-3348409

[...]

If you have winamp, you can download the file and play it but you can't jump from section to section. You'd have to have something like a victor reader stream or plex-talk.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Normally they are mp3 files with control files that are basically indexing. Some may have text but not all. I know for example that some daisy stuff here are just indexed mp3 files. In fact if they are made correctly they normally play on an mp3 player if burned to a cd. Obviously not tested this specific one though.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I'm not able to read the daisy format of the tutorial. Do you have to have a
special player or is this a word document?

Rosemarie

Thanks to AccessiDocs project from Pennsylvania Council of the Blind, an
audio DAISY version of Welcome to NVDA 2018 tutorial set is now available
from:

http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/DB-Welcome_to_NVDA_2018-by-Joseph_lee.z
ip

The DAISY book is a bit out of date, but for the most part, it is up to
date.

Also, a UK-based charity named BCAB has offered to distribute this tutorial
set on physical media for a fee.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Basically yes daisy which is purely audio is kind of arranged under headings. You can make the indexing as deep as you like, but it works a little like a tree does but on a player there are navigation controls to help you just listen to the bits you want by drilling down to them through the indexes.

[...]

I tried openning this using FS Reader, and AMIS. It both crashed.
Cuong
----------------
Dang Manh Cuong
 The Assistive technology specialist
 Sao Mai Vocational and assistive center for the blind
52/22 Huynh Thien Loc St., Hoa Thanh ward, Tan Phu dist., HCM, Vietnam.
 Tel: +8428 7302-4488
 E-mail: vanphong@...; congnghe@...
 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/saomaicenterfortheblind
 Website: http://www.trungtamsaomai.org; http://www.saomaicenter.org

 Mobile / Zalo: +84 902-572-300
 E-mail: dangmanhcuong@...; cuong@...
 Skype name: dangmanhcuong
 Twitter: @ManhCuongTech

Thanks to AccessiDocs project from Pennsylvania Council of the Blind, an audio DAISY version of Welcome to NVDA 2018 tutorial set is now available from:

http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/DB-Welcome_to_NVDA_2018-by-Joseph_lee.zip

The DAISY book is a bit out of date, but for the most part, it is up to date.

Also, a UK-based charity named BCAB has offered to distribute this tutorial set on physical media for a fee.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Joseph

You can use a daisy player like amis to read this.

You can use your talking book machine to read this, all library machines are daisy complient.

You can use it on your smart phone.

Amis is one such player.

I am unsure about others as such, but dolphin easy reader full is only 85 bucks us for what it is and will work with nvda.