Unable to start Outlook 2016 While NVDA Is Running

Ralph Boersema

Friends,

I guess I am dealing with two distinct problems. With regard to switching folders, Ctrl-Shift + Tab does the job. Thanks for this!

The other problem is that if I turn off Outlook I cannot start it so long as NVDA is running. I exit NVDA and ask a sighted person to start Outlook for me. This problem arose only two days ago.

Any suggestions? I am running Windows 10.

Warmly,
Ralph

Adriani Botez

Hello Ralph,

This is quite strange. Try to reinstall Outlook. I assume power point, excel and word work perperly. Right? You can also do a repair so that you don't have to reinstall anything.

Best
Adriani

Best
Adriani

I guess I am dealing with two distinct problems. With regard to switching
folders, Ctrl-Shift + Tab does the job. Thanks for this!

The other problem is that if I turn off Outlook I cannot start it so long as NVDA
is running. I exit NVDA and ask a sighted person to start Outlook for me. This
problem arose only two days ago.

Any suggestions? I am running Windows 10.

Warmly,
Ralph

Gene

This answer provides information that is useful far beyond Outlook.

I'm not sure what's causing the problem but you can do a lot of things without speech if you know what you do with speech.  You won't hear what you are doing but you can follow a routine you know works.  You can use the Outlook Start menu search, of which, more later.  You can also pin Outlook to the task bar and then start it with a Windows key plus number command.  You can create a desktop shortcut and assign a shortcut command to it such as control alt l to make it easy to remember.

I won't go into more explanations of how to do these things here.  If you want to know, ask and I or others will tell you.
Gene

I guess I am dealing with two distinct problems. With regard to switching folders, Ctrl-Shift + Tab does the job. Thanks for this!

The other problem is that if I turn off Outlook I cannot start it so long as NVDA is running. I exit NVDA and ask a sighted person to start Outlook for me. This problem arose only two days ago.

Any suggestions? I am running Windows 10.

Warmly,
Ralph

Brian's Mail list account

When you try to start it with nvda running are there any error messages generated or anything in the nvda debug log that shows something odd going on?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I guess I am dealing with two distinct problems. With regard to switching folders, Ctrl-Shift + Tab does the job. Thanks for this!

The other problem is that if I turn off Outlook I cannot start it so long as NVDA is running. I exit NVDA and ask a sighted person to start Outlook for me. This problem arose only two days ago.

Any suggestions? I am running Windows 10.

Warmly,
Ralph

Brian's Mail list account

Having asked around, I'm not convinced this an outlook fault at least not in the true sense of the word. its some kind of interaction going on. May well be specific to a certain build of office, or even windows itself. Not having it here I cannot say, but the last person I spoke to resolved it by taking the machine back a few days to before it started.