Topics

Fillable PDF Forms & NVDA

I could be completely confused, misremembering something, or, well, something else, but I could swear that I remember there being an NVDA command that one could use to get the name of the field you've landed in when working with a fillable PDF.

I was just trying out the IRS Form 1040 from the 2015 tax year, and could swear that at one point I saw somebody hitting a specific keyboard shortcut to get NVDA to announce the form field you'd landed in, e.g., last name, first name, etc.  In fact, I seem to recall seeing NVDA (or maybe it was JAWS) announcing the name of the form field you were landing in as you tabbed through a fillable PDF form as you tabbed through it.

Tonight I'm only getting "blank" when I land in a fillable field and I can tell I'm in focus mode when I land in it and am able to shift to browse mode via NVDA+Spacebar, but can't get any further in getting the field name announced then.

Is there a way to get the name of the field that you're supposed to be filling in announced so that you know what you should be typing?  [I realize this can't work if the form wasn't designed with accessibility in mind, but I thought the federal tax forms that you download from the IRS website had been so for some years now.] 

Brian
-- 
The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.
      ~ H.L. Mencken

Andre Fisher

What happens when u press either NVDA+Numpad 5 or NVDA+Tab?

On 4/25/16, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:
I could be completely confused, misremembering something, or, well,
something else, but I could swear that I remember there being an NVDA
command that one could use to get the name of the field you've landed in
when working with a fillable PDF.

I was just trying out the IRS Form 1040 from the 2015 tax year, and could
swear that at one point I saw somebody hitting a specific keyboard shortcut
to get NVDA to announce the form field you'd landed in, e.g., last name,
first name, etc.  In fact, I seem to recall seeing NVDA (or maybe it was
JAWS) announcing the name of the form field you were landing in as you
tabbed through a fillable PDF form as you tabbed through it.

Tonight I'm only getting "blank" when I land in a fillable field and I can
tell I'm in focus mode when I land in it and am able to shift to browse mode
via NVDA+Spacebar, but can't get any further in getting the field name
announced then.

Is there a way to get the name of the field that you're supposed to be
filling in announced so that you know what you should be typing?  [I realize
this can't work if the form wasn't designed with accessibility in mind, but
I thought the federal tax forms that you download from the IRS website had
been so for some years now.]

Brian
--
The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he
knows to be idiots.
      ~ H.L. Mencken

NVDA+NumPad 5 gets me what sounds like document information.  If I jump out and them back into the First Name field and hit NVDA+NumPad 5 it says, "Edit focus, blank" and if I switch to browse mode and then hit the same it still says the same thing.

NVDA+TAB in the same field behaves pretty much the same way.  The first time I hit this key sequence I get file information and then if I jump out and back in I get "Edit focus, blank."

It never announces "Your first name and initial."  The same applies as I jump to other text edit boxes.  When I hit the first checkbox for "You" and whether you want to have $3 of your taxes go toward the Presidential Election Campaign Fund all it says is, "Unchecked checkbox not checked.

Now it's off to sleep.  I'll check back here tomorrow morning. 

Brian
-- 
The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.
      ~ H.L. Mencken

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

Have you tried filling out the form with Jaws?

Rosemarie

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 9:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Fillable PDF Forms & NVDA

NVDA+NumPad 5 gets me what sounds like document information. If I jump out and them back into the First Name field and hit NVDA+NumPad 5 it says, "Edit focus, blank" and if I switch to browse mode and then hit the same it still says the same thing.

NVDA+TAB in the same field behaves pretty much the same way. The first time I hit this key sequence I get file information and then if I jump out and back in I get "Edit focus, blank."

It never announces "Your first name and initial." The same applies as I jump to other text edit boxes. When I hit the first checkbox for "You" and whether you want to have $3 of your taxes go toward the Presidential Election Campaign Fund all it says is, "Unchecked checkbox not checked.

Now it's off to sleep. I'll check back here tomorrow morning.

Brian
--
~ H.L. Mencken

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

I had a similar situation with a survey that I filled out for Microsoft. For some strange reason, NVDA didn't see all the filds so I used system access to go and it worked perfectly. This wasn't a PDF form but NVDA didn't see all the fields but system access to go did.

Rosemarie

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 8:57 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Fillable PDF Forms & NVDA

I could be completely confused, misremembering something, or, well, something else, but I could swear that I remember there being an NVDA command that one could use to get the name of the field you've landed in when working with a fillable PDF.

I was just trying out the IRS Form 1040 from the 2015 tax year, and could swear that at one point I saw somebody hitting a specific keyboard shortcut to get NVDA to announce the form field you'd landed in, e.g., last name, first name, etc. In fact, I seem to recall seeing NVDA (or maybe it was JAWS) announcing the name of the form field you were landing in as you tabbed through a fillable PDF form as you tabbed through it.

Tonight I'm only getting "blank" when I land in a fillable field and I can tell I'm in focus mode when I land in it and am able to shift to browse mode via NVDA+Spacebar, but can't get any further in getting the field name announced then.

Is there a way to get the name of the field that you're supposed to be filling in announced so that you know what you should be typing? [I realize this can't work if the form wasn't designed with accessibility in mind, but I thought the federal tax forms that you download from the IRS website had been so for some years now.]

Brian
--
~ H.L. Mencken

Gene

The message states that tabbing doesn't work.  If tabbing doesn't work, it is very unlikely that numpad 5 or, what is actually the correct key, numpad 8, will work.  Numpad 8 is the read current line command.  Numpad 5 is the read current word command.  You want to read the line, not a single word. 

The only command I know that may be relevant is NVDA key tab. JAWS key tab does the same thing.  It reads the field you are in.  While possible that this will help, I doubt it.  but you can try.  

Gene

Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 11:39 PM

What happens when u press either NVDA+Numpad 5 or NVDA+Tab?

On 4/25/16, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
> I could be completely confused, misremembering something, or, well,
> something else, but I could swear that I remember there being an NVDA
> command that one could use to get the name of the field you've landed in
> when working with a fillable PDF.
>
> I was just trying out the IRS Form 1040 from the 2015 tax year, and could
> swear that at one point I saw somebody hitting a specific keyboard shortcut
> to get NVDA to announce the form field you'd landed in, e.g., last name,
> first name, etc.  In fact, I seem to recall seeing NVDA (or maybe it was
> JAWS) announcing the name of the form field you were landing in as you
> tabbed through a fillable PDF form as you tabbed through it.
>
> Tonight I'm only getting "blank" when I land in a fillable field and I can
> tell I'm in focus mode when I land in it and am able to shift to browse mode
> via NVDA+Spacebar, but can't get any further in getting the field name
> announced then.
>
> Is there a way to get the name of the field that you're supposed to be
> filling in announced so that you know what you should be typing?  [I realize
> this can't work if the form wasn't designed with accessibility in mind, but
> I thought the federal tax forms that you download from the IRS website had
> been so for some years now.]
>
> Brian
> --
> The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he
> knows to be idiots.
>       ~ H.L. Mencken
>

Well, additional developments that some may find interesting.  I downloaded the tax year 2015 (as in should have been filed on April 18th 2016) version of the 1040EZ and I still get the same result in Adobe Reader DC.

So, I decided to try a form that I'd customized in Microsoft Word for a client about a year and a half ago where every blessed field (or at least the ones I set up in the demo form - I didn't complete the myriad checkboxes that the paper version contains) has alternate text and help text.  If I open this in Word and have NVDA running it does precisely what I think it should do:  Announces the alternate text when I land in the form field and, if I hit F1, displays the help text box and reads its contents.

I have to believe that either the IRS forms are not set up correctly to be accessible or else there's something that doesn't "play well together" between Adobe Reader DC and NVDA.

If I hit NVDA+TAB in anything I've tried so far I do not get the field name announced.

Brian
--

Brian
-- 
      ~ H.L. Mencken

Brian's Mail list account BY <bglists@...>

I've never had much luck with pdfs generally, though way back last year one form from the BBC announced it was tagged and it worked as you would expect. I no longer have this form so cannot really say what they did to make it work.
Seems to me nowadays that so many forms are built with third party software and nobody bothers to tag reading order for anything that my usual response when i get a pdf is to ask for a word version instead.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 5:26 PM

Well, additional developments that some may find interesting. I downloaded the tax year 2015 (as in should have been filed on April 18th 2016) version of the 1040EZ and I still get the same result in Adobe Reader DC.

So, I decided to try a form that I'd customized in Microsoft Word for a client about a year and a half ago where every blessed field (or at least the ones I set up in the demo form - I didn't complete the myriad checkboxes that the paper version contains) has alternate text and help text. If I open this in Word and have NVDA running it does precisely what I think it should do: Announces the alternate text when I land in the form field and, if I hit F1, displays the help text box and reads its contents.

I have to believe that either the IRS forms are not set up correctly to be accessible or else there's something that doesn't "play well together" between Adobe Reader DC and NVDA.

If I hit NVDA+TAB in anything I've tried so far I do not get the field name announced.

Brian
--
Brian
--
~ H.L. Mencken