Cannot Start Outlook 2016 While NVDA Is Running

Ralph Boersema

Dear All,

Apart from working my way around starting Outlook without the reader, I have
made no progress in figuring out what is the cause or solution for why my
Outlook crashes when trying to open while NVDA is running. Here is what has
been tried--all without success:

1. I don't know about logs, but the programmer who helped me said that the
NVDA log shows no problem when the event occurs.
2. We have restored Windows to two different restore points dated before I
noticed the problem.
3. We repaired Office through a long Internet connected repair process.

Warmly,
Ralph

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Ralph,

Did you try calling the microsoft disability line? Maybe they might be able
to help you.

Rosemarie

Apart from working my way around starting Outlook without the reader, I have
made no progress in figuring out what is the cause or solution for why my
Outlook crashes when trying to open while NVDA is running. Here is what has
been tried--all without success:

1. I don't know about logs, but the programmer who helped me said that the
NVDA log shows no problem when the event occurs.
2. We have restored Windows to two different restore points dated before I
noticed the problem.
3. We repaired Office through a long Internet connected repair process.

Warmly,
Ralph

Gene

I'm sorry you are spending so much time trying to solve the problem.  I think that, rather than continuing to try to solve it, it makes much more sense to open the program without NVDA running, then just leave it opened.

Of course, it's up to you how much time you want to spend solving what is a minor annoyance, I wouldn't have spent much time on it at all, myself.  There are some problems that, in my opinion, aren't worth spending time trying to solve when there is an easy work around.

Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 6:22 PM

Dear All,

Apart from working my way around starting Outlook without the reader, I have
made no progress in figuring out what is the cause or solution for why my
Outlook crashes when trying to open while NVDA is running. Here is what has
been tried--all without success:

1. I don't know about logs, but the programmer who helped me said that the
NVDA log shows no problem when the event occurs.
2. We have restored Windows to two different restore points dated before I
noticed the problem.
3. We repaired Office through a long Internet connected repair process.

Warmly,
Ralph

Brian's Mail list account

Have you tried disabling the anti virus system?
I'm just trying to think of another approach. This does seem to be a very weird thing, as asking around the only Outlook related issues I hear about are crashes when moving to other folders sometimes, not failure to start at all.

I'm assuming this cannot be duplicated on anyone elses machine?

The error info you need is from Outlook Quite plainly as nvda being there is just minding its own business.
I'm beginning to wonder if you might have some strange hardware fault, maybe Ram chip related?

Are there any other funnies going on with software that you can see?
Also have you definitely proved your hard drive has no cross linked chains? This is very rare these days as the software in 10 seems to be able to repair those file issues quite well
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Apart from working my way around starting Outlook without the reader, I have
made no progress in figuring out what is the cause or solution for why my
Outlook crashes when trying to open while NVDA is running. Here is what has
been tried--all without success:

1. I don't know about logs, but the programmer who helped me said that the
NVDA log shows no problem when the event occurs.
2. We have restored Windows to two different restore points dated before I
noticed the problem.
3. We repaired Office through a long Internet connected repair process.

Warmly,
Ralph

Brian's Mail list account

However, one issue is that it may well be a symptom of a more serious problem. I'd feel very irked at such a weird situation and simply have to find a reason.
The other day I had to remove the dreaded Avast from a system which had acquired it via a ccleaner download, and although it seems to have worked well, now when certain programs are run, the computer actually restarts itself. Numerous tests suggest all is as it was and even bring it back to before installation of avast makes it do the same thing.Luckily these pieces of software are system tools by third parties so not really an issue most of the time, but it does make one realise how many weird ways there are to run-in a perfectly working system.

Short of a complete re install of everything there is probably no way to fix it as it is the diagnostic tools that cause the crashes.
[...]

I'm not sure how likely this is, but if it might be undetected malware, that would be of concern.  But for all we know, it's some sort of corruption of something.  You might want to investigate the malware possibility by signing up with bleeping computer and having the geeks who hang out on the site help you run various detection programs.  Even that wouldn't rule out the possibility but it would be a more thorough detection protocol than most people do.  You may need sighted help to do some of the things they will want you to do.

Apart from working my way around starting Outlook without the reader, I have
made no progress in figuring out what is the cause or solution for why my
Outlook crashes when trying to open while NVDA is running. Here is what has
been tried--all without success:

1. I don't know about logs, but the programmer who helped me said that the
NVDA log shows no problem when the event occurs.
2. We have restored Windows to two different restore points dated before I
noticed the problem.
3. We repaired Office through a long Internet connected repair process.

Warmly,
Ralph

Adriani Botez

You could try to scan your system with malware bytes. I had some similar problems which have been solved after scanning and deleting the corrupted files as shown in malware bytes.

Best

Adriani

[...]

Yeah had this with a system, I just reformat and it went away.

I have also had it where something was on the way out most notably the psu, or one of the fans.

On 11/02/2018 9:20 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
[...]

.

Pranav Lal

Ralph,

Have you tried starting outlook in safe mode? If not, try going to the run
box with windows key + r and then typing outlook --safe

See if you are able to start outlook then.

Pranav

Brian's Mail list account

If you run hijack this please be careful what you delete, as there are no protections. You can screw things up by deleting routines that are needed.
[...]

Actually as I've said before, simply reformatting is like sweeping dust under the carpet, sooner or later you will find it again.
[...]

There are a number of outlook 2016 threads on the issues list on github, might be a good idea to go and look. One question being asked is can you make sure you have the latest version and updates for outlook 2016, as there are builds that were unstable.
Just thought I'd mention it.