Topics

word 2016

slery <slerythema@...>

I am reading a large manual (almost 500 pages). Is there a way to set a bookmark where I am currently reading so that I can go to another topic, read it and then return to my bookmarked place?

Also, I am having a very difficult time using find in this version of word. Are there any tips to make this easier to use?

Cindy

Quentin Christensen

Hi Cindy,

Find uses a task pane in Word 2016.  You can still kind of access the traditional find dialogue by pressing control+h for "find and replace" - the focus is on the original replace page of the dialog but if you just type something and press ENTER, it's the same as using find.

Re bookmarks, you can insert them though they are a bit annoying (there might be a shortcut, I must admit I haven't used bookmarks a lot):

alt+n (for insert ribbon)
then Z, L, K for Bookmark

Then type the name you want to give your bookmark (you can set multiple bookmarks).

To get back to your bookmark later, press control+g for go-to
then shift+tab back to the "go to what" list, down arrow to bookmark, then tab back to the edit field and it automatically inserts the name of your last bookmark so you can press ENTER or type another bookmark name.

Personally I more often just type my name in where I want to get back to, save the file and then use find to find my name (and remember to delete your name again).  Best to keep a backup copy of documents you do that with, just in case you inadvertently change something though.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Pranav Lal

Alt+i+k also works for book marks. It is an older shortcut.

Quentin Christensen

The other thing you can do, if you use them often, is add the bookmark option to the quick access toolbar:

press alt+n, z, l as before, but instead of pressing "k" to open the bookmark dialog, press tab until you get to bookmarks in the ribbon, then press the applications key to bring up the context menu, choose add to quick access toolbar.

You can then press alt+number to access it in future (alt+1 for the first option, save by default, alt+2 for the second, undo, etc).

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 10:43 AM, Pranav Lal <pranav.lal@...> wrote:

Alt+i+k also works for book marks. It is an older shortcut.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

slery <slerythema@...>

Thank you so much for these very detailed instructions.

I, too, have used a similar method of inserting START HERE in all caps and using the find command to go back there especially when editing documents on different devices. I’ll try your work around for using the find/replace because I hate the find pane they are now using.

Again, thanks for being so thorough with your answer.