Topics

Issues With Number Processing or Display On Creative Labs Web Page

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem.  When I visit the below web page on the Creative Laqs site, I get oddities with the prices for the various products.  For example, many of the prices are ridiculously high such as $16999 for a set of small portable speakers.  When examining it closely, it seems these figures are deleting a decimal point and replacing it with the first digit after the decimal point.  So the above example should actually read $16.99.  This has happened a number of times over the years.  Here is the page.

http://us.creative.com/estore/?utm_source=eDialog&utm_medium=Mailer&utm_campaign=Mailer_16.0429_SoundBlasterXH7

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

I see it using an older version of NVDA and an older version of Firefox.  I haven't tested with current browsers and current screen-readers.

I don't know why this is the case when I saw one number displayed correctly with a decimal point where it should be.  I don't know what a sighted person sees but if you are curious enough, you might want to look at the source and see if the numbers read correctly or if you find a possible explanation when looking at the numbers there..

Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 3:49 PM
Subject: [nvda] Issues With Number Processing or Display On Creative Labs Web Page

Hi Group,

I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem.  When I visit the below web page on the Creative Laqs site, I get oddities with the prices for the various products.  For example, many of the prices are ridiculously high such as $16999 for a set of small portable speakers.  When examining it closely, it seems these figures are deleting a decimal point and replacing it with the first digit after the decimal point.  So the above example should actually read $16.99.  This has happened a number of times over the years.  Here is the page.

http://us.creative.com/estore/?utm_source=eDialog&utm_medium=Mailer&utm_campaign=Mailer_16.0429_SoundBlasterXH7

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Carlos

Hello:

    It appears that the first set of numbers is some kind if internal product number/code.  The second set of numbers is the correct price.

    At least that's the way it read in Firefox Ver. 46.

    Hope this is clear enough to understand?

On 4/29/2016 1:49 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,

I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem.  When I visit the below web page on the Creative Laqs site, I get oddities with the prices for the various products.  For example, many of the prices are ridiculously high such as $16999 for a set of small portable speakers.  When examining it closely, it seems these figures are deleting a decimal point and replacing it with the first digit after the decimal point.  So the above example should actually read $16.99.  This has happened a number of times over the years.  Here is the page.

http://us.creative.com/estore/?utm_source=eDialog&utm_medium=Mailer&utm_campaign=Mailer_16.0429_SoundBlasterXH7

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Carlos Gonzalez - Los Angeles, CA. - gmjc341961@...

Yes I have that issue with a computer site in firefox.
I think what is happening is that decimal points are just not being rendered.
Ie if something says it is 30.00 it will say 3000.
if say something is 20000.44
you will get 1600044.
If the price seems to high, you may try to manually add in the points, sometimes it works well enough sometimes but more often not.
Its like some things that are for old ie and other things who knows.
But the pages are not getting their points rendered right and have been in firefox for a while now.

On 30/04/2016 8:49 a.m., Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. When I visit the
below web page on the Creative Laqs site, I get oddities with the prices
for the various products. For example, many of the prices are
ridiculously high such as $16999 for a set of small portable speakers.
When examining it closely, it seems these figures are deleting a decimal
point and replacing it with the first digit after the decimal point. So
the above example should actually read $16.99. This has happened a
number of times over the years. Here is the page.

http://us.creative.com/estore/?utm_source=eDialog&utm_medium=Mailer&utm_campaign=Mailer_16.0429_SoundBlasterXH7

Patrick Le Baudour

Hi,

not surprising... they don't put any point, they put the cents in small, placed like an exponant. In code, that means

$DDD<sup>CC</sup>

-- Patrick

Le 30/04/2016 à 04:17, Shaun Everiss a écrit :
[...]

Well without decimal points a thing most readers have been trained to read for years those prices will never be read right.
The only way I think it will ever work short of modifying all synth dictionaries at once, that this coding needs to be added into an addon for nvda to put points where there should be.
Now this won't be acurate by any stretch in fact there will be probably more problems with points in the wrong place but its better there than not.
In ie this ofcause never happens but with something like firefox it does.

On 30/04/2016 5:14 p.m., Patrick Le Baudour wrote:
[...]

Gene

No, screen-readers should not change text by placing something there that is not there.  If a screen-reader can be made to identify and read whatever is therre, that's fine.  But a screen-reader should be able to be relied on by the user to accurately reflect what it is aware of on the screen.  Reformatting a web page in the MSAA buffer is fine.  But reformatting doesn't add material to what is read.  It is a violation of the trust one puts in screen-readers if they add something that isn't there and make it appear as though it actually is.

Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2016 1:24 AM

Well without  decimal points a thing most readers have been trained to
read for years those prices will never be read right.
The only way I think it will ever work short of modifying all synth
dictionaries at once, that this coding needs to be added into an addon
for nvda to put points where there should be.
Now this won't be acurate by any stretch in fact there will be probably
more problems with points in the wrong place but its better there than not.
In ie this ofcause never happens but with something like firefox it does.

On 30/04/2016 5:14 p.m., Patrick Le Baudour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> not surprising... they don't put any point, they put the cents in small,
> placed like an exponant. In code, that means
>
> $DDD<sup>CC</sup>
>
> -- Patrick
>
> Le 30/04/2016 à 04:17, Shaun Everiss a écrit :
>> Yes I have that issue with a computer site in firefox.
>> I think what is happening is that decimal points are just not being
>> rendered.
>> Ie if something says it is 30.00 it will say 3000.
>> if say something is 20000.44
>> you will get 1600044.
>> If the price seems to high, you may try to manually add in the points,
>> sometimes it works well enough sometimes but more often not.
>> Its like some things that are for old ie and other things who knows.
>> But the pages are not getting their points rendered right and have been
>> in firefox for a while now.
>>

>> On 30/04/2016 8:49 a.m., Ron Canazzi wrote:
>>> Hi Group,
>>>

>>> I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem.  When I visit the
>>> below web page on the Creative Laqs site, I get oddities with the prices
>>> for the various products.  For example, many of the prices are
>>> ridiculously high such as $16999 for a set of small portable speakers.
>>> When examining it closely, it seems these figures are deleting a decimal
>>> point and replacing it with the first digit after the decimal point.  So
>>> the above example should actually read $16.99.  This has happened a
>>> number of times over the years.  Here is the page.
>>>

>>> http://us.creative.com/estore/?utm_source=eDialog&utm_medium=Mailer&utm_campaign=Mailer_16.0429_SoundBlasterXH7

I agree, but at the same time we should be able to read stuff in the right format especially if that format was visual
I today tried to register a coffee machine aand the site contained menus which did not speak and a few other things.
I had to actually shut down nvda and get sighted help because the nvda was in the way.
And whille thats not a big issue, if sites are going to list things such that the screen reader can not read them right and we can't read them right then I do think it should be modified or at least the reader be told to read things in a particular way.
I agree its not a good idea but if a lot of things are doing this unless you shop on those sites with ie and this is not the end all solution because microsoft is going to get rid of ie for good sooner than later.

On 30/04/2016 7:47 p.m., Gene wrote:
[...]

Well to me on the source the . is in fact an ^

$59^99

I have no idea why this should be there and why its not rendered as something in Fire fox. I suspect the page template is quite old as it has no useful headers or lists to help us out.
Brian
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. When I visit the
below web page on the Creative Laqs site, I get oddities with the prices
for the various products. For example, many of the prices are
ridiculously high such as $16999 for a set of small portable speakers.
When examining it closely, it seems these figures are deleting a decimal
point and replacing it with the first digit after the decimal point. So
the above example should actually read $16.99. This has happened a
number of times over the years. Here is the page.

http://us.creative.com/estore/?utm_source=eDialog&utm_medium=Mailer&utm_campaign=Mailer_16.0429_SoundBlasterXH7

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

This is not a firefox issue.  It occurs when using Chrome as well.  I haven't tested with Internet Explorer.

gene

> I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem.  When I visit the
> below web page on the Creative Laqs site, I get oddities with the prices
> for the various products.  For example, many of the prices are
> ridiculously high such as $16999 for a set of small portable speakers.
> When examining it closely, it seems these figures are deleting a decimal
> point and replacing it with the first digit after the decimal point.  So
> the above example should actually read $16.99.  This has happened a
> number of times over the years.  Here is the page.
>

> http://us.creative.com/estore/?utm_source=eDialog&utm_medium=Mailer&utm_campaign=Mailer_16.0429_SoundBlasterXH7
>

> --
> They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
> They ask: "How Happy are You?"
> I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I almost never used Internet Explorer.  I tried this number issue on the referenced page with Internet Explorer 11 from Windows 8.1.  It still shows the same misrepresentation as does NVDA, but for some reason, a number of synthesizers pronounce it differently.  With punctuation turned to all, you hear a price which using individual character (left/right arrow keys) movement, shows the same for example, $16.99 reads $16999.  However, the voices/synthesizer say (spelling this out for clarification) dollars 16 ninety nine.

This is interesting and I'm afraid I don't have the technical knowledge to determine just what is happening.

On 4/30/2016 1:14 AM, Patrick Le Baudour wrote:
[...]

well its in all brousers then we have a problem ^ is sometimes an up arrow so it would be just as confusing.

Well to me on the source the . is in fact an ^

$59^99

I have no idea why this should be there and why its not rendered as
something in Fire fox. I suspect the page template is quite old as it
has no useful headers or lists to help us out.
Brian
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@...>
I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. When I visit the
below web page on the Creative Laqs site, I get oddities with the prices
for the various products. For example, many of the prices are
ridiculously high such as $16999 for a set of small portable speakers.
When examining it closely, it seems these figures are deleting a decimal
point and replacing it with the first digit after the decimal point. So
the above example should actually read $16.99. This has happened a
number of times over the years. Here is the page.

http://us.creative.com/estore/?utm_source=eDialog&utm_medium=Mailer&utm_campaign=Mailer_16.0429_SoundBlasterXH7

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

.

Its that up arrow character that is in there which seems not to be rendered directly.

[...]

Yes I suspect it is an issue with the character sets used in the country that the page is indicating. Maybe its as simple as that.
However actually getting in touch with anyone at Creative who is not a marketing person is almost impossible from past experience.
[...]

Antony Stone

There is no ^ symbol on the page (at least, not within the prices we're
discussing).

The HTML source code for the price line is:

So, what they are showing is a dollar sign, the three digits 3 6 9, and then
as a superscript following that, two more digits 9 9.

I can't say I'm surprised that NVDA would read this as five consecutive digits
3 6 9 9 9, but there is no symbol of any sort between the dollar amount the
the cents.

I hope that helps,

Antony.

On Sunday 01 May 2016 at 10:30:47, Brian's Mail list account wrote:

[...]

I think broken pencils are pointless.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

However, if one goes to the message source as i did in firefox the truncated gap on the rendered page contains an up arrow symbol. I'd have thought in order to preserve formatting even if Firefox or Chrome does not know what the up arrow is supposed to be, it should insert a space there for that very reason or the line will be one column out.
[...]

That could be the problem, if its everywhere but mozilla and chrome use the same engine in fact a lot of mozilla stuff is chrome based or is it the other way round.
At any rate, the fact is that it may not even recognise a column exists at all so ignores it completely.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
[...]

There is definitely an up arrow character in there for me looking at the source, unless its being rendered differently for you.
I'm sure that in some languages it has a different description but the fact that its not a blank seems to me to indicate its supposed to be something, not just a control code as you suggest.