Navigational sounds

Brian's Mail list account

Rather strangely, the click sound amongst others seems not to be being played any more in IE or Firefox even though the start navigation sound is still selected and plays from the control panel dialogue fine on both Windows7 and 10. anyone else noticed this. One is using a usb sound card the other the built in realtek one so i doubt if that is the issue.
It seems to be working on xp though, which is, as someone once said, illogical.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Jacob Kruger

Sound ducking?

As in, if remember correctly, it won't work on XP, but, will work on later versions of windows if activated/turned on?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2016-05-01 12:36 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Rather strangely, the click sound amongst others seems not to be being
played any more in IE or Firefox even though the start navigation sound
is still selected and plays from the control panel dialogue fine on both
Windows7 and 10. anyone else noticed this. One is using a usb sound card
the other the built in realtek one so i doubt if that is the issue.
It seems to be working on xp though, which is, as someone once said,
illogical.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Chris Mullins

I think audio ducking only works on windows 8 and above.

Cheers
Chris

On 2016-05-01 12:36 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Rather strangely, the click sound amongst others seems not to be being
played any more in IE or Firefox even though the start navigation
sound is still selected and plays from the control panel dialogue fine
on both
Windows7 and 10. anyone else noticed this. One is using a usb sound
card the other the built in realtek one so i doubt if that is the issue.
It seems to be working on xp though, which is, as someone once said,
illogical.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Jacob Kruger

That's why was asking - they mentioned that it doesn't happen on XP, but, does on later versions.

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2016-05-01 12:36 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Rather strangely, the click sound amongst others seems not to be being
played any more in IE or Firefox even though the start navigation
sound is still selected and plays from the control panel dialogue fine
on both
Windows7 and 10. anyone else noticed this. One is using a usb sound
card the other the built in realtek one so i doubt if that is the issue.
It seems to be working on xp though, which is, as someone once said,
illogical.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

David Moore

Windows 8 and above is correct! There's a reason to upgrade to win10 LOL!

On 2016-05-01 12:36 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Rather strangely, the click sound amongst others seems not to be being
played any more in IE or Firefox even though the start navigation
sound is still selected and plays from the control panel dialogue fine
on both
Windows7 and 10. anyone else noticed this. One is using a usb sound
card the other the built in realtek one so i doubt if that is the issue.
It seems to be working on xp though, which is, as someone once said,
illogical.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Brian's Mail list account

It should not affect windows 7 though, as the feature is only present from 8 as I understood it.

The reason I like it on is because with an ad blocker its reassuring to hear all the clicking going on and that shows why maybe a page is taking longer to load than one might expect, it tells me there are things still going onbut just not on the page.

On 2016-05-01 12:36 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Rather strangely, the click sound amongst others seems not to be being
played any more in IE or Firefox even though the start navigation sound
is still selected and plays from the control panel dialogue fine on both
Windows7 and 10. anyone else noticed this. One is using a usb sound card
the other the built in realtek one so i doubt if that is the issue.
It seems to be working on xp though, which is, as someone once said,
illogical.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Brian's Mail list account

No I don't want it to duck in this case but as I say, if anyone out there still has the clicking, end of download etc still working on Firefox with navigational sounds add in, do let me know.

On 2016-05-01 12:36 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Rather strangely, the click sound amongst others seems not to be being
played any more in IE or Firefox even though the start navigation
sound is still selected and plays from the control panel dialogue fine
on both
Windows7 and 10. anyone else noticed this. One is using a usb sound
card the other the built in realtek one so i doubt if that is the issue.
It seems to be working on xp though, which is, as someone once said,
illogical.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

That's one reason I don't allow scripts to run on pages unless they are necessary to do what I want.  It may dramatically decrease the time it takes pages to be readable with a screen-reader because it stops all the forwarding and page after page loading.  If you want to see the difference, the New York times is a good example.  At least on my computers, there is a dramatic difference.

Depending on how you use the Internet, and how you block scripts, this may or may not be a good solution. I haven't used it much but the easiest thing to do may be to use noscript in Firefox and have script blocking on until you need to use it to allow scripts to use a site and then allow scripts and then reload the page with f5 if you have already loaded it once.  Noscript comes with a white list already provided with a number of popular sites that allows scripts to run on those sites.  You may add to it if you wich as a way to allow scripts on a site by site basis.I'm not sure how much trouble it is to allow scripts on a site by site basis.

Gene

> As in, if remember correctly, it won't work on XP, but, will work on later
> versions of windows if activated/turned on?
>
> Stay well
>
> Jacob Kruger
> Blind Biker
> Skype: BlindZA
> "Roger Wilco wants to welcome you...to the space janitor's closet..."
>
> On 2016-05-01 12:36 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
>> Rather strangely, the click sound amongst others seems not to be being
>> played any more in IE or Firefox even though the start navigation sound
>> is still selected and plays from the control panel dialogue fine on both
>> Windows7 and 10. anyone else noticed this. One is using a usb sound card
>> the other the built in realtek one so i doubt if that is the issue.
>> It seems to be working on xp though, which is, as someone once said,
>> illogical.
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal email to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...>

Its working here just fine Brian and I'm running Firefox V 46 64 bit and WIN 10

No I don't want it to duck in this case but as I say, if anyone out there still has the clicking, end of download etc still working on Firefox with navigational sounds add in, do let me know.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Moore" <jesusloves1966@...>
Windows 8 and above is correct! There's a reason to upgrade to win10 LOL!

-----Original Message----- From: Chris Mullins
Sent: Sunday, May 1, 2016 2:04 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

On 2016-05-01 12:36 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Rather strangely, the click sound amongst others seems not to be being
played any more in IE or Firefox even though the start navigation
sound is still selected and plays from the control panel dialogue fine
on both
Windows7 and 10. anyone else noticed this. One is using a usb sound
card the other the built in realtek one so i doubt if that is the issue.
It seems to be working on xp though, which is, as someone once said,
illogical.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Brian's Mail list account

Well I have got the end of download back but cannot get the click to work any more. Its Firefox 47 beta, amaybe it needs a downdate.

Sent: Sunday, May 1, 2016 2:04 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

On 2016-05-01 12:36 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Rather strangely, the click sound amongst others seems not to be being
played any more in IE or Firefox even though the start navigation
sound is still selected and plays from the control panel dialogue fine
on both
Windows7 and 10. anyone else noticed this. One is using a usb sound
card the other the built in realtek one so i doubt if that is the issue.
It seems to be working on xp though, which is, as someone once said,
illogical.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

have you tested with an earlier version of firefox to see if the sounds still work?  You can easily get an earlier version of firefox portable and check.

> Its working here just fine Brian and I'm running Firefox V 46 64 bit and
> WIN 10
>

> On 5/2/2016 4:53 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
>> No I don't want it to duck in this case but as I say, if anyone out there
>> still has the clicking, end of download etc still working on Firefox with
>> navigational sounds add in, do let me know.
>> Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal email to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Moore"
>> <jesusloves1966@...>

Brian's Mail list account

I need to do that next. Its interesting though as the latest firefox on xp still works perfectly.

Sent: Sunday, May 1, 2016 2:04 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io