Using VLC media player with NVDA

Christopher Bartlett

Has anyone any experience using the VLC media player with NVDA?  I've just installed it in order to take advantage of its ability to use a Chromecast, and, while I've gotten it to work, I'm wondering if anone has done a good tutorial for VLC, either with NVDA, or just in general.
Thanks.
Christopher BArtlett

--
Christopher Bartlett

There is an add-on for it. That will help quite a bit with usage.

On 2/13/2018 8:56 AM, Christopher Bartlett wrote:
Has anyone any experience using the VLC media player with NVDA?  I've just installed it in order to take advantage of its ability to use a Chromecast, and, while I've gotten it to work, I'm wondering if anone has done a good tutorial for VLC, either with NVDA, or just in general.
Thanks.
Christopher BArtlett

--
Christopher Bartlett

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I’ve never used it with this Chromecast. I use it to play videos, for which it’s excellent. No tutorials that I know of. My experience with the program? It’s very powerful and versatile, but sometimes things are non-intuitive, and certain things, like the advanced preferences dialog screen, don’t always play so nicely with screen-readers. It is however possible to change the VLC interface. I don’t know if there are any specific interface alterations available that work better with NVDA. I’d certainly be interested to find out. For now, I’ve *mostly* gotten the program to do everything I want it to do. The hardest thing, strangely enough, has been to save my own equalizer settings for movies, but I think I finally got that covered.

There is an add-on for it. That will help quite a bit with usage.

On 2/13/2018 8:56 AM, Christopher Bartlett wrote:

Has anyone any experience using the VLC media player with NVDA?  I've just installed it in order to take advantage of its ability to use a Chromecast, and, while I've gotten it to work, I'm wondering if anone has done a good tutorial for VLC, either with NVDA, or just in general.

Thanks.
Christopher BArtlett

--

Christopher Bartlett

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

There is a tutorial up on my website for VLC media player but it is more for playing dvds with audio description and music which should also have a link to the add on in the page.

it can be found at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20tutorials%20for%20other%20programs.html

After going to the page you will need to jump down by headings to the VLC media player tutorial.

hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 2/14/2018 8:24 AM, JM Casey wrote:

[...]

hi.
did someone try vlc version 3?
the last version that i tried is 2.2.8.
it workes, but not very intuative like km or potplayer.
for example:
i cant go forward or backword using just left and right arrow keys
which makes navigation a little fifficult.
and when i go to preferences nvda says pane pane pane many times,
after announcing specific option, it tells about fonts!
exactly like the time that you use nvda+f!
what should i do to prevent this problem?

Ah. Cheers, Gene.

_____

On 2/13/2018 8:56 AM, Christopher Bartlett wrote:

Has anyone any experience using the VLC media player with NVDA? I've just
installed it in order to take advantage of its ability to use a Chromecast,
and, while I've gotten it to work, I'm wondering if anone has done a good
tutorial for VLC, either with NVDA, or just in general.

Thanks.
Christopher BArtlett

--

Christopher Bartlett

--
Image NVDAcertified expert

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New
Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA
screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or
location) is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please
visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals
from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert
exam.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

didn't know there was a version 3 will give that a look in to.

On 2/14/2018 7:15 AM, zahra wrote:
[...]

I don't know how to explain the preferences dialog. Sometimes it works ok; sometimes it doesn't. It's generally a bit of a frustrating experience. Sometimes for instance when you are on a checkbox, you need to actively check or uncheck the box with the spacebar before you can even be sure you are on a checkbox at all. I wish I could elucidate this program a little better.

As for moving around in a file ... there are commands for this. You should read the hotkey table. Shift-left or right for instance will move you a short increment; ctrl-left or right a longer increment (I can't remember the default increments, but they are probably configurable, given that this is vlc).

[...]

best website for studying islamic book in different languages www.al-islam.org

Christopher Bartlett

Thank you all.  I've installed the NVDA addon and will be doing some more exploration later.  For those interested, 3.0 brings functionality for casting directly to a Chromecast using the media/render menu option.  If all goes well, your Chromecast should appear in the submenu that appears when you invoke this menu item.  You will have to approve a UAC check, and then it just works.  (Or rather, it just works sort of, when it feels like, according to no rhyme or reason I can yet discover, still it's better than the state of play before, and presumably, this functionality is under development.)
Chris

On 2/13/18, JM Casey <crystallogic@...> wrote:
> Ah. Cheers, Gene.

Well v3 never came out on standard update, someone posted a verge article on twitter and then I updated it.

On 15/02/2018 7:03 a.m., The Wolf wrote:
[...]

.

i studied about version 3 in the official website of vlc.
i realized that since version 3, it supports text to speech for subtitle.
i realy appreciate if someone tell me does version 3 have the problems
which i mentioned in my previous comments?
or is it accessible completely like kmplayer, potplayer winamp etc.
i appreciate if someone tell me about accessibility in version 3 and
is the problem which i had resolved or not.