Putting Basic Training for NVDA manual on to DAISY player

Lindy <lulu58@...>

Hello list

I paid for and downloaded Basic Training for NVDA.Zip file and have been working through it.It recommends that the epub file should be put on to a DAISY book player so that one can listen to it and work through the activities on your PC. Unfortunately, I have been unable to do this with my second generation VR stream. When I unzip the file and arrow down to the epub file, it states that this is encrypted. Is this why it does not register on the VR stream’s $VR dtb folder when I try to paste it in with either JAWS or NVDA? I have not dealt with encrypted files before and would appreciate some advice/help.

kind regards

Lindy

Ian Blackburn

You are probably better to use your html file
Your EPUB file probably won't work with your VR stream
X you put the HTML file or EPUB file into your dollar text directory not your DTB directory on your VR stream card
Regards Ian
That should work the other alternative is to put it on your iPhone if you have one in your voice dream reader

Sent from my iPhone

On 4 May 2016, at 3:14 PM, Lindy <lulu58@...> wrote:

Hello list

I paid for and downloaded Basic Training for NVDA.Zip file and have been working through it.It recommends that the epub file should be put on to a DAISY book player so that one can listen to it and work through the activities on your PC. Unfortunately, I have been unable to do this with my second generation VR stream. When I unzip the file and arrow down to the epub file, it states that this is encrypted. Is this why it does not register on the VR stream’s $VR dtb folder when I try to paste it in with either JAWS or NVDA? I have not dealt with encrypted files before and would appreciate some advice/help.

kind regards

Lindy

Lindy <lulu58@...>

Thanks Ian

It does not work in the $VR text folder and other sources said that I should use the dtb file but I will try with the HTML file.

Cheers

Lindy

[...]

Most of the daisy convertors i use seem to be using word files and as long as they use headers properly the content then gets indexed in the correct fashion.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

On 4 May 2016, at 3:14 PM, Lindy <lulu58@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

Hello list
I paid for and downloaded Basic Training for NVDA.Zip file and have been working through it.It recommends that the epub file should be put on to a DAISY book player so that one can listen to it and work through the activities on your PC. Unfortunately, I have been unable to do this with my second generation VR stream. When I unzip the file and arrow down to the epub file, it states that this is encrypted. Is this why it does not register on the VR stream’s $VR dtb folder when I try to paste it in with either JAWS or NVDA? I have not dealt with encrypted files before and would appreciate some advice/help.
kind regards
Lindy

Albert Ruel

If the E-PUB file for the NVDA tutorial was placed in the text folder perhaps the VR Stream will be able to read it.

Thx, Albert

Sent from my iPhone

On May 4, 2016, at 12:14 AM, Lindy <lulu58@...> wrote:

Hello list

I paid for and downloaded Basic Training for NVDA.Zip file and have been working through it.It recommends that the epub file should be put on to a DAISY book player so that one can listen to it and work through the activities on your PC. Unfortunately, I have been unable to do this with my second generation VR stream. When I unzip the file and arrow down to the epub file, it states that this is encrypted. Is this why it does not register on the VR stream’s $VR dtb folder when I try to paste it in with either JAWS or NVDA? I have not dealt with encrypted files before and would appreciate some advice/help.

kind regards

Lindy

Quentin Christensen

Hi Lindy,

Theoretically the VR Stream should be able to read ePub files.  ePub is actually a lot more complex format than it seems from the outside.  I'm not 100% sure whether the issue is with the way the Stream reads ePub files, or the way I've created the ePub file.  I'll keep working on it, but for now I can confirm that the HTML version of the text reads fine, you need to place it in the $VRText folder, and navigate to "Notes" to find it.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Lindy <lulu58@...>

Hi Quentin

Why would one navigate to “Notes” to find a file in the $VRtext folder? In the case of the epub file, when I tried to paste it in to the dtb folder on the stream there was no response and no record of ie being on the VRstream in that folder.

[...]

Sorry, I meant "Text Files", not notes.

Initially it didn't see the ePub file in my DTB folder either.  I just tried again and it did see it, read the title, gave a "Media error 1" then a "Book error 1" and then says 0 titles.  I'm just testing my SD card to make sure there isn't a physical problem with it, otherwise it's something to do with either the way the Stream reads ePub books or the specific book.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Lindy <lulu58@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi everyone,

Just a note that we have resolved the issue with the ePub format and the Victor Reader stream.

Kind regards

Quentin.