NVDA GENERAL,

willmac@lantic.net

Hi All,

I am new to this group and must apologise at the outset for my ignorance if I am not following tghe correct Protocol.

I am partially sight impaired and the deteriation seems to be more rapid at he moment which has resulted in my looking for
a program which will assist me to operate my computer.

I recently installed NVDA and it seem to just what I need.

However,  I seem to have difficulty in mastering even the basics and am wondering if I can get some assistance. (Skype???)

Very few of the shortcut keys seem to work for me.

Regards,

William

Mallard

Hello William,

I'm definitely not an NVDA proficient user, but your last sentence made me think.

Are you using a laptop, by any chance?

If so, you should set your keyboard layout to "Laptop"

(NVDA Menu - Keyboard settings), and then follow the list of commands and keyboard shortcuts for laptops, rather than the one for desktops.

hth,

Ollie

Il 04/05/2016 11:45, willmac@lantic.net ha scritto:
Hi All,
I am new to this group and must apologise at the outset for my ignorance if I am not following tghe correct Protocol.
I am partially sight impaired and the deteriation seems to be more rapid at he moment which has resulted in my looking for
a program which will assist me to operate my computer.
I recently installed NVDA and it seem to just what I need.
However, I seem to have difficulty in mastering even the basics and am wondering if I can get some assistance. (Skype???)
Very few of the shortcut keys seem to work for me.
Regards,
William

Brandon Cross <bcross3286@...>

yeah, search out bscross32 on skype, that's me, and I wouldn't have any trouble doing a call with you to help you sort things out. And get you set up with NVDA Remote.

I don't see remote just as a, "Well, I'll just pop on here and fix this up for you", kind of tool. I think it's a great teaching tool if you combine it with skype or TeamTalk, and you go slow enough so that the other person can see what you're doing, and you explain where needed.

I have also created a NVDA support group on Skype, there are lots of people ranging from beginner to expert on there, if you want to join, strike enter on this link

https://join.skype.com/I2fAB1Qwm3Gw

What that will do is take you to your browser, sign you into skype, and automatically join you to the group.

On 5/4/2016 5:45 AM, willmac@... wrote:
Hi All,

I am new to this group and must apologise at the outset for my ignorance if I am not following tghe correct Protocol.

I am partially sight impaired and the deteriation seems to be more rapid at he moment which has resulted in my looking for
a program which will assist me to operate my computer.

I recently installed NVDA and it seem to just what I need.

However,  I seem to have difficulty in mastering even the basics and am wondering if I can get some assistance. (Skype???)

Very few of the shortcut keys seem to work for me.

Regards,

William

willmac@lantic.net

Hi Ollie,

Thank you for your response. I am using a laptop but am using a wireless logitech full keyboards.

Is this a problem? Would usb keyboard be any diffent?

[...]

Gene

If your keyboard contains a numpad, the desktop layout will work if the keyboard can be used in that way.  The purpose of the laptop layout is for use on keyboards without numpads.  If short cut commands don't work on your keyboard using the numpad, your keyboard may not be compatible for thatkind of use.  I have heard of instances where wireless keyboards can't be used in this way.  You can try the laptop layout and see if those commands will work if you wish.  If they don't, you may want to ask here about wireless keyboards people use and know are compatible using whatever keyboard choice you set in NVDA.

gene

>I'm definitely not an NVDA proficient user, but your last sentence made
>me think.
>

>Are you using a laptop, by any chance?
>

>If so, you should set your keyboard layout to "Laptop"
>
>(NVDA Menu - Keyboard settings), and then follow the list of commands
>and keyboard shortcuts for laptops, rather than the one for desktops.
>

>hth,
>
>Ollie
>

>Il 04/05/2016 11:45, willmac@... ha scritto:
>>Hi All,
>>I am new to this group and must apologise at the outset for my
>>ignorance if I am not following tghe correct Protocol.
>>I am partially sight impaired and the deteriation seems to be more
>>rapid at he moment which has resulted in my looking for
>>a program which will assist me to operate my computer.
>>I recently installed NVDA and it seem to just what I need.
>>However, I seem to have difficulty in mastering even the basics and am
>>wondering if I can get some assistance. (Skype???)
>>Very few of the shortcut keys seem to work for me.
>>Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
>>Regards,
>>William

Mallard

Hello William,

No idea. I generally use a desktop and, when I use my netbook, I use the built-in keyboard - no external keyboards of sorts.

I wouldn't think a bluetooth keyboard should a problem though.

What do you mean when you say that no shortcuts seem to work? Could you provide some examples?

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 04/05/2016 14:42, willmac@lantic.net ha scritto:
[...]

Jacob Kruger

I always plug external USB keyboards into my laptops - 99% of the time anyway.

Thus, always keep screen readers set to desktop mode.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

[...]

I have a usb numpad, which was part of a kit I got as a Christmas present. I use that on my netbook, and keep the layout set to desktop too.

It's incredibly handy to have just a small keypad rather than a large, full-size keyboard when I travel...

But I wouldn't know where those thingies are to be found.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 04/05/2016 18:21, Jacob Kruger ha scritto:
[...]

I came across a mini, fold-up USB keyboard at the one local flea-market - sort of informal shopping venue, with lots of little small stalls ranging across quite a wide range of target-markets, but, issue was that it would only fold out to roundabout 15cm wide, which wouldn't really be suitable for touch typing as such...<smile>

I generally just make sure I know the layout of the laptop's own keyboard - especially the insert key - just in case, and take it from there.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

[...]

I am presently using a HP Laptop with a Wireless (not bluetooth) keyboard.  The keyboard is a Logitech K330 desktop keyboard.
Is there any reason why this shpuld not work with NVDA.
Rgds,William

If your keyboard contains a numpad, the desktop layout will work if the keyboard can be used in that way.  The purpose of the laptop layout is for use on keyboards without numpads.  If short cut commands don't work on your keyboard using the numpad, your keyboard may not be compatible for thatkind of use.  I have heard of instances where wireless keyboards can't be used in this way.  You can try the laptop layout and see if those commands will work if you wish.  If they don't, you may want to ask here about wireless keyboards people use and know are compatible using whatever keyboard choice you set in NVDA.

gene

>I'm definitely not an NVDA proficient user, but your last sentence made
>me think.
>

>Are you using a laptop, by any chance?
>

>If so, you should set your keyboard layout to "Laptop"
>
>(NVDA Menu - Keyboard settings), and then follow the list of commands
>and keyboard shortcuts for laptops, rather than the one for desktops.
>

>hth,
>
>Ollie
>

>Il 04/05/2016 11:45, willmac@... ha scritto:
>>Hi All,
>>I am new to this group and must apologise at the outset for my
>>ignorance if I am not following tghe correct Protocol.
>>I am partially sight impaired and the deteriation seems to be more
>>rapid at he moment which has resulted in my looking for
>>a program which will assist me to operate my computer.
>>I recently installed NVDA and it seem to just what I need.
>>However, I seem to have difficulty in mastering even the basics and am
>>wondering if I can get some assistance. (Skype???)
>>Very few of the shortcut keys seem to work for me.
>>Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
>>Regards,
>>William

Jacob Kruger

Very unlikely, and if it works with windows, then it should work just fine with NVDA.

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, acceptance is versatile"

Il 04/05/2016 11:45, willmac@lantic.net <mailto:willmac@lantic.net>
ha scritto:
Hi All,
I am new to this group and must apologise at the outset for my
ignorance if I am not following tghe correct Protocol.
I am partially sight impaired and the deteriation seems to be more
rapid at he moment which has resulted in my looking for
a program which will assist me to operate my computer.
I recently installed NVDA and it seem to just what I need.
However, I seem to have difficulty in mastering even the basics and am
wondering if I can get some assistance. (Skype???)
Very few of the shortcut keys seem to work for me.
Regards,
William

Gene

I don't know about specific keyboards.  While I haven't seen much discussion about this, I seem to recall seeing discussions in the past about this or that wireless keyboard where certain commands didn't work with NVDA, evidently because the keyboard sent incompatible codes.  Can you experiment with a keyboard directly connected?

If your keyboard contains a numpad, the desktop layout will work if the keyboard can be used in that way.  The purpose of the laptop layout is for use on keyboards without numpads.  If short cut commands don't work on your keyboard using the numpad, your keyboard may not be compatible for thatkind of use.  I have heard of instances where wireless keyboards can't be used in this way.  You can try the laptop layout and see if those commands will work if you wish.  If they don't, you may want to ask here about wireless keyboards people use and know are compatible using whatever keyboard choice you set in NVDA.

gene

>I'm definitely not an NVDA proficient user, but your last sentence made
>me think.
>

>Are you using a laptop, by any chance?
>

>If so, you should set your keyboard layout to "Laptop"
>
>(NVDA Menu - Keyboard settings), and then follow the list of commands
>and keyboard shortcuts for laptops, rather than the one for desktops.
>

>hth,
>
>Ollie
>

>Il 04/05/2016 11:45, willmac@... ha scritto:
>>Hi All,
>>I am new to this group and must apologise at the outset for my
>>ignorance if I am not following tghe correct Protocol.
>>I am partially sight impaired and the deteriation seems to be more
>>rapid at he moment which has resulted in my looking for
>>a program which will assist me to operate my computer.
>>I recently installed NVDA and it seem to just what I need.
>>However, I seem to have difficulty in mastering even the basics and am
>>wondering if I can get some assistance. (Skype???)
>>Very few of the shortcut keys seem to work for me.
>>Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
>>Regards,
>>William

Jacob Kruger

With some versions of windows, it's possible to change the keyboard language on the fly, which can then mess up interaction via screen readers, but, that would, again, not really be necessarily affected by the keyboard hardware, or connection method - the driver sort of handles the connection, and then just presents the keyboard to the operating system as a keyboard - most of the time, but anyway.

Another reason don't really like wireless keyboards myself is that both bluetooth, and wireless keyboards have, in the past given me hassles relating to interference from other devices, etc. around me - at times just wifi network providers, and, a few times, when something like a cellphone received an SMS, or an MMS, the wireless keyboard might have started typing multiple characters - that should be unlikely to happen with a decent, sort of shielded wireless keyboard, but, still...<smile>