Google appearing in Frame in Firefox

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi all,

I am using Firefox latest version, windows 10 and Google search page with the latest NVDA.

I have set my default page in Firefox to:

https://www.google.ie/search?complete=0

This has worked fine for many years until two nights ago.

Now Google opens up with some sort of frame that I cannot navigate clearly enough to describe here. The frame ends with a got it button which appears under the cursor when the page is fully loaded. I press enter or space bar to select the got it button in the hope that this will bring me back to the simple Google search edit box. However, nothing happens!

The screen goes completely still and no keys work on it. NVDA freezes. After about two minutes, NVDA wakes up and announces Google but then stops.

When I get a bit of reaction from the screen I can see that Google is in some sort of frame. I cannot find any description of frames in Firefox and so I am stumped!

Can anyone advise what is happening and what I can do to get back to my normal Google search window?

By the way, I had the latest Firefox when this problem first appeared. I have now gone back to Firefox  56.2 in the hope that the earlier Firefox would not invoke the Google frames but Google still does the same thing. I opened Google with the search?complete=0 argument and it opens without any problem. This issue seems to apply only to Firefox when using the Google search engine.

Please help while I still have some hair left!

All the best,

Cearbhall

Mike Sedmak

I haven't found a fix, but I am also seeing a very similar issue
starting today using Firefox ESR or 58 and windows 7 and latest
release nvda 2017

I have not seen this on any other websites, only google.com

No issue using chrome to go to the google.com page

"https://www.google.ie/search <http://www.google.ie/search> ?complete=0"

[...]

What is the advantage of using the iesearch syntax?  If you just use the google.com page, you are placed in the search field if you have JAVA scripts enabled.  If you don't, you can very easily move to it.  Once you do your search and the results come up, you can move from result to result with the letter h for move by heading.  You have to press h a number of times to get to the first result.  Are you going through all this for no advantage?

Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:37 PM
Subject: [nvda] Google appearing in Frame in Firefox

[...]

I just compared the two pages.  They appear identical.  I was looking with an old version of Firefox so I don't know if there would be differences with a new version.  But what happens if you use the standard address?

Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:37 PM

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

I've seen this as well on other pages. Got it is hardly very helpful. Have you inadvertently turned on the tools display in Firefox, where you can examine the pages?
I seem to find that just checking all the bars and other sundry bits are off seems to fix it on a reboot of the browser.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

I think on many search providers you can put in personal preffs, like how many results and hide image results etc, which can be a lot of help if you are in a hurry. I don't think its got anything to do with that particular page, at least not when I see it. Another issue is that it seems of late that google keeps on telling me to look again at their terms of service or log in to get this or that instead of simply putting up the page, this seems to have nothing to do with this got it thing.
[...]

Chris

It sounds like to me that cookie warning message that EU regulation dictates that must be shown when ever you visit a new site

It usually says got it link to clear it in most instances

Unless you have blocked cookies for some reason it should clear

Thank god we leaving all that BS behind

😃

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Jean,

I appreciate your taking this issue seriously, thanks.

The point of using the phrase search?complete=0 is to disable Google Instant Search without being signed in to a Google account.

Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:37 PM

[...]

Instant search has the inconvenience of not allowing you to hear what you type efficiently.  But that's the only problem it causes.  You can type at the normal speed regardless of what you hear.  Editing what you type, as I recall, is slow.  But why go through any of this nonsense?
Firefox, as do other browsers, allows you to search without going to Google.  In Firefox, issue the command control k, type your search and press enter.  The standard results page comes up.  If Google isn't used by default in this feature, it can be set to use Google.

Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:37 PM

[...]

Chris,

The 2got it button does not react. I do not have cookies blocked.

I see that there is a Google tool bar at the top of the screen which must be coming from Google itself as there is no such toolbar in my version of Firefox.

The display also has an indication that it is a frame but, again, Firefox does nto have any reference to frames in the menus.

Its a puzzle!

All the best,

Cearbhall

It sounds like to me that cookie warning message that EU regulation dictates that must be shown when ever you visit a new site

It usually says got it link to clear it in most instances

Unless you have blocked cookies for some reason it should clear

Thank god we leaving all that BS behind

😃

Chris

That’s really odd, i visted the link you posted and it seems fine here nothing blocking it and works fine

I guess you could try a portable version to see if that’s the same issue

It sounds like to me that cookie warning message that EU regulation dictates that must be shown when ever you visit a new site

It usually says got it link to clear it in most instances

Unless you have blocked cookies for some reason it should clear

Thank god we leaving all that BS behind

😃

the best way is disabling javascript in about:config
you can use normal
google.com
without such problem in this case.
also
you can test
http://google.com/webhp?complete=0
i tried it last year and it worked perfectly.
in that time, i did not disable javascript.

On 2/15/18, Chris via Groups.Io <chrismedley@...> wrote:
That’s really odd, i visted the link you posted and it seems fine here
nothing blocking it and works fine

I guess you could try a portable version to see if that’s the same issue

It sounds like to me that cookie warning message that EU regulation dictates
that must be shown when ever you visit a new site
It usually says got it link to clear it in most instances
Unless you have blocked cookies for some reason it should clear

Thank god we leaving all that BS behind
😃

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org