Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:15 AM
Subject: [nvda] Phasing out of 7

The below page from Doug lee explains the phasing out of Skype 7 in favor of Skype 8 or the Universal App on windows 10. I have no idea what you folks on XP will do, but I stopped using Skype in favor of team talk anyway.

http://www.dlee.org/skype/skype7phaseout.htm#what

Damien Garwood

Hi,
I’ll be abandoning Skype when 7 dies as well. I’ve had a mess with 8, and as far as I’m concerned, it stinks.
It’s a shame though. While I also have a TeamTalk server, and while the quality is indeed a lot better, TeamTalk is meant, A, for teams, and B, not for telephony. To use TeamTalk as a substitute for Skype would be a pain, since someone would first have to contact you by other means to ask you to come on TT, something which obviously isn’t necessary with Skype.
Not only that, but perhaps the biggest issue is that Skype was my primary telephone.
So yeah. Going Skypeless will indeed take a lot of getting used to.
I can’t ever see me going back to Skype. Crashes, accessibility shortfalls and process hogging are only the primary issues. And there’s me thinking Skype could never be any slower and broken than it already was in 7.
Cheers.
Damien.

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:17 PM
i agree, i only use team talk, as i have my own server, and the quality is much better.
e-mail me off list if you wish to join my server.

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:15 AM

The below page from Doug lee explains the phasing out of Skype 7 in favor of Skype 8 or the Universal App on windows 10. I have no idea what you folks on XP will do, but I stopped using Skype in favor of team talk anyway.

http://www.dlee.org/skype/skype7phaseout.htm#what

Michael Capelle <mcapelle@...>

I don’t blame you, now with facetime, google hangouts, etc, skype really has died.

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:17 PM

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:15 AM

The below page from Doug lee explains the phasing out of Skype 7 in favor of Skype 8 or the Universal App on windows 10. I have no idea what you folks on XP will do, but I stopped using Skype in favor of team talk anyway.

http://www.dlee.org/skype/skype7phaseout.htm#what

which program should i use instead of skype for telephony?
i am using skype 7.36 now, but version 7 have many accessibility
issues and even the program sometimes closed without my will!
i did not have this problem using version 6 of skype
can someone off list help me to learn how to use teamtalk for telephony?
the advantage of teamtalk is not forcing update!
i can download any version that i want to use and keep it forever
without update and worried for update and compatibility with my
windows!

On 2/15/18, Michael Capelle <mcapelle@charter.net> wrote:
I don’t blame you, now with facetime, google hangouts, etc, skype really has
died.

i agree, i only use team talk, as i have my own server, and the quality is
much better.
e-mail me off list if you wish to join my server.

The below page from Doug lee explains the phasing out of Skype 7 in favor of
Skype 8 or the Universal App on windows 10. I have no idea what you folks on
XP will do, but I stopped using Skype in favor of team talk anyway.

http://www.dlee.org/skype/skype7phaseout.htm#what

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Damien Garwood

Hi Zara,
As I said. TeamTalk is for realtime conferencing, not telephony, and unfortunately I am unaware of any other programs that allow for direct telephony like Skype does.
Cheers.
Damien.

i agree, i only use team talk, as i have my own server, and the quality is
much better.
e-mail me off list if you wish to join my server.

The below page from Doug lee explains the phasing out of Skype 7 in favor of
Skype 8 or the Universal App on windows 10. I have no idea what you folks on
XP will do, but I stopped using Skype in favor of team talk anyway.

http://www.dlee.org/skype/skype7phaseout.htm#what

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Peter Beasley

I don't know anyone who uses it, but there is a client called Zoom. The site is zoom.us.

i agree, i only use team talk, as i have my own server, and the quality is
much better.
e-mail me off list if you wish to join my server.

The below page from Doug lee explains the phasing out of Skype 7 in favor of
Skype 8 or the Universal App on windows 10. I have no idea what you folks on
XP will do, but I stopped using Skype in favor of team talk anyway.

http://www.dlee.org/skype/skype7phaseout.htm#what

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Damien Garwood

Hi,
I always thought that was a business-based rather than personal use system.
Cheers.
Damien.

I don't know anyone who uses it, but there is a client called Zoom. The site
is zoom.us.

i agree, i only use team talk, as i have my own server, and the quality is
much better.
e-mail me off list if you wish to join my server.

The below page from Doug lee explains the phasing out of Skype 7 in favor of
Skype 8 or the Universal App on windows 10. I have no idea what you folks on
XP will do, but I stopped using Skype in favor of team talk anyway.

http://www.dlee.org/skype/skype7phaseout.htm#what

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Damien Garwood

Hi,
Not that I use any of those. Facetime is for Apple products only, while I always thought Google Hangouts was more akin to TeamTalk than Skype, I.E. a conferencing platform. Not to mention, the one time I was requested to join a Google Hangouts meeting it wasn’t very accessible. Of course that was a few years ago, it could easily have changed since then. But given mainstream software’s priorities, I.E. hogging our systems with unnecessary pretty pictures, I believe it could also have easily gone from bad to worse. Hell...Skype versions 1, and possibly 2, were the best as far as accessibility went. No scripts needed. Now look at it!
Maybe I should release 8 major versions encompassing several hundred builds of an audio game where only about 10% of them include new worlds while the rest are merely audio tweaks. That’s a fair representation of a boatload of software methinks. Welcome to mainstream frustrations...
To take another example, the genealogy database software I used previously was full of bugs and was very slow at searching, generating reports, importing and exporting etc. Then a new major version came out, and the only major thing that its change log could boast of in its update was colour tagging!
Anyways. Think I best go before I start on a full-on rant about things that I perhaps don’t, and could never, understand. Lol.
Cheers.
Damien.

I don’t blame you, now with facetime, google hangouts, etc, skype really has died.

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:17 PM

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:15 AM

The below page from Doug lee explains the phasing out of Skype 7 in favor of Skype 8 or the Universal App on windows 10. I have no idea what you folks on XP will do, but I stopped using Skype in favor of team talk anyway.

http://www.dlee.org/skype/skype7phaseout.htm#what

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

In the case of Hangouts, your pessimism is unfounded. Hangouts works great on all platforms that I've used it on. Best, Erik

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:17 PM

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:15 AM

The below page from Doug lee explains the phasing out of Skype 7 in favor of Skype 8 or the Universal App on windows 10. I have no idea what you folks on XP will do, but I stopped using Skype in favor of team talk anyway.

http://www.dlee.org/skype/skype7phaseout.htm#what

Karim Lakhani <karim.lakhani@...>

It's not great for sure but with a little of tabbig around it can be useable.
I think it's nice they have a web version but it's very time consuminbg tabbing around, maybe I haven't learnt all t he tricks but for now it's good for f un.
Nothing I'll not to do with out.

EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
$$$$
SKYPE: goldenace4
$$$$
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:17 PM

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:15 AM

The below page from Doug lee explains the phasing out of Skype 7 in favor of Skype 8 or the Universal App on windows 10. I have no idea what you folks on XP will do, but I stopped using Skype in favor of team talk anyway.

http://www.dlee.org/skype/skype7phaseout.htm#what

Karim Lakhani <karim.lakhani@...>

I like using what is up on my iphone.
They have a pc version which I haven't tried yet.
check it out if it works well please share the news.

EMAIL:karim.lakhani@shaw.ca
$$$$
SKYPE: goldenace4
$$$$
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)

i agree, i only use team talk, as i have my own server, and the
quality is much better.
e-mail me off list if you wish to join my server.

The below page from Doug lee explains the phasing out of Skype 7 in
favor of Skype 8 or the Universal App on windows 10. I have no idea
what you folks on XP will do, but I stopped using Skype in favor of team
talk anyway.

http://www.dlee.org/skype/skype7phaseout.htm#what

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Lino Morales

Mike. Can you email me off list at:

Lino.jr@...

I would like to hang on your TT server. Thanks.

Lino Morales

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:15 AM

The below page from Doug lee explains the phasing out of Skype 7 in favor of Skype 8 or the Universal App on windows 10. I have no idea what you folks on XP will do, but I stopped using Skype in favor of team talk anyway.

http://www.dlee.org/skype/skype7phaseout.htm#what

Lino Morales

Well this why we have the cool awesome Zoom app for IOS, Android, and Windows.

Lino Morales

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:17 PM

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:15 AM

The below page from Doug lee explains the phasing out of Skype 7 in favor of Skype 8 or the Universal App on windows 10. I have no idea what you folks on XP will do, but I stopped using Skype in favor of team talk anyway.

http://www.dlee.org/skype/skype7phaseout.htm#what

Sarah k Alawami

I use zoom for my business meetings. I need skype though for one  of my jobs as thats how I teach my students. I send and receive files, voice clips when needed, and chats as well as assignment links for my students as well, so zoom will not work in this case.. Plus their internet is not that good. 5 megabits down by about 1 up. We sometimes cannot hold a conversation that way lol!

Take care

-----Original Message----- From: Damien Garwood
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 4:20 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

-----Original Message----- From: zahra

i agree, i only use team talk, as i have my own server, and the quality is
much better.
e-mail me off list if you wish to join my server.

The below page from Doug lee explains the phasing out of Skype 7 in favor of
Skype 8 or the Universal App on windows 10. I have no idea what you folks on
XP will do, but I stopped using Skype in favor of team talk anyway.

http://www.dlee.org/skype/skype7phaseout.htm#what

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Just read the article it had to happen sooner or later. I am using windows 10 still with the desk top version of skype and flip between that and the universal version of it as well. I guess unless windows 7 users upgrade to 10 the old code might not work with 10 etc.

hence slowly stop working over time.

I wonder if the new one they are working on skype for web will be the replacement for users before 10 which can be found at https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=13&ct=1518725827&rver=7.0.6730.0&wp=MBI_SSL&wreply=https%3A%2F%2Flw.skype.com%2Flogin%2Foauth%2Fproxy%3Fclient_id%3D578134%26redirect_uri%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fweb.skype.com%252F%26state%3D3f4b065f-9fc7-4814-4eba-dd964f51f4b2%26site_name%3Dlw.skype.com&lc=1033&id=293290&mkt=en-NZ&psi=skype&lw=1&cobrandid=90010&client_flight=hsu%2CReservedFlight33%2CReservedFlight67

If i remember right it will work through your browser. I had a quick play a couple of months back but have not been back in to have more of a play and.

I do have a mostly written tutorial for the app version but not posted yet or was it finished.

I think when i had a play with the web version it was pretty accessible minus some features which are still coming or may be already there now?

Gene nz

On 2/16/2018 3:15 AM, Robert Kingett wrote:

The below page from Doug lee explains the phasing out of Skype 7 in favor of Skype 8 or the Universal App on windows 10. I have no idea what you folks on XP will do, but I stopped using Skype in favor of team talk anyway.

http://www.dlee.org/skype/skype7phaseout.htm#what

Sarah k Alawami

I hate web skype. I had a play with it November of last year and it was horrible with chrome, chromevox and safari and voiceover. Did not test it with nvda as of yet. But yeah it is over all a horrible experience even with both accounts I have.

On Feb 15, 2018, at 12:29 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

On the Daily Fibre this morning on Mushroom fm, Jonathan Mozen also said Microsoft have been made aware of a big security issue in all versions of Skype and that yet another re write needs to be done to fix it.
Also he pointed that the new code even now has access issues and questioned what it was that the Skype team were doing that persistently left it with access issues compared with the old version and indeed other Microsoft products.
I suspect somebody in Microsoft is pulling their hair out. Not only do they have inaccessible software again but now a big security hole.
What else is there with as much spread as Skype has. Is it that they will forcibly top it or just that you wont be able to install old versions in 10 any more?
I suspect most of this not able to run stuff is probably design rather than need driven. I'm able to use Outlook Express on windows 7 because Microsoft could not be bothered to make an accessible email and news client with message rules.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

The below page from Doug lee explains the phasing out of Skype 7 in
favor of Skype 8 or the Universal App on windows 10. I have no idea what
you folks on XP will do, but I stopped using Skype in favor of team talk
anyway.

http://www.dlee.org/skype/skype7phaseout.htm#what

Karim Lakhani <karim.lakhani@...>

please when let us know hwhen the tutorial will be available.
Does it cover only the web version?

EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
$$$$
SKYPE: goldenace4
$$$$
[...]

It is the app version it is basically written just needs to be tidied up and uploaded

There is a desk top version already on my website at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net if i remember right it is under the nvda tutorials for other programs page.

It was version 7 of skype.

I was just looking at the skype web version on the net it seems fairly accessible but have not added any contacts etc to try it out.

I will either maybe write up some thing for it or maybe go through and record it with audio.

When i get a little spare time and can test it out with some one.

I usually let the group know when i upload stuff that covers nvda but not necessarily with other stuff like a review I done on the samsung ua 50 mu6100sxnz tv and going through the menus etcwith with voice guide which can be found on my podcast and products review page the person just needs to jump down to the review section to read or listen to it.

But that sort of stuff still goes under the recent updates section on the main page though.

Gene nz