Topics

Master snapshot is only 540k

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi guys

is the servers playing up? For the last couple of days i have been trying to download a master snapshot and each time it comes down it is only about 540k. Is the server playing up? for when i go to click on it up comes a security smart screen I think it is the windows one.

I am also wondering if things have changed like it is a stub then it gets the main file? I am guessing not.

I usually like once a week to see what might of gone into it each week.

Has any one else had the same problems?

This was doing it from inside of the master snapshot under the help section.

I have also tried it from the main page and still got the same results.

This was again on feb 18th and also tried on the 17th

Gene nz

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I just downloaded it here using firefox 52 and its over 20 meg in size.

Did you perhaps get the old, this file is not one which is regualrly downloaded error and then it aborts?
There is section in firefox to turn this warning off.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

--
[Image NVDA certified expert]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

My answer nowadays is to use the next snap, and use master as my installed copy. As long as you have a portable copy of the release version you can always revert back.
That way the updates arrive automatically via the snap internal downloader for both versions as Next now no longer uses the browser to download new versions.
[...]

Brice Mijares

Can you explain how you'd revert back from a portable copy? my copy of the next snap failed to update yesterday. Thanks.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene New Zealand" <hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz>
is the servers playing up? For the last couple of days i have been trying to download a master snapshot and each time it comes down it is only about 540k. Is the server playing up? for when i go to click on it up comes a security smart screen I think it is the windows one.

I am also wondering if things have changed like it is a stub then it gets the main file? I am guessing not.

I usually like once a week to see what might of gone into it each week.

Has any one else had the same problems?

This was doing it from inside of the master snapshot under the help section.

I have also tried it from the main page and still got the same results.

This was again on feb 18th and also tried on the 17th

Gene nz

--
[Image NVDA          certified expert]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi brian

I have been trying a few times over the weekend. It is up to 13 meg now and just died or not far of it. It is like the server is super slow or not working correctly.

Actually it just died in the download.

gene nz

On 2/18/2018 9:58 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I just downloaded it here using firefox 52 and its over 20 meg in size.

Did you perhaps get the  old, this file is not one which is regualrly downloaded error and then it aborts?
There is section in firefox to turn this warning off.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
[...]

There is a problem in a couple of browsers that i have tried to get it with. The download starts then dies some times at 400 k or so some times a bit more. I have adsl and have even left it but still no go.

there is no anti virus blocking it either. I am guessing other should be getting the same problem.. It is the version with 64 f on it it is the latest one.

I wonder what is happening?

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I was actually able to dl it in about 2 seconds using safari. Did they fix what ever was wrong this morning  perhaps, I hope?

Take care all.

On Feb 18, 2018, at 1:31 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

Nar no matter which browser you use and which way it is just not coming down. I even tried it on the next snapshot and the same results.

I also did it with either the save link thingy in mozilla fire fox and what ever the others are called as well.

it is weird how you and some others can get it but not me. I used to be able to get it every week apart from this weekend.

I am guessing maybe other servers are used for you guys?

Gene nz

On 2/19/2018 10:42 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
[...]

I doubt it.  There may some problem in your area or in your part of the country that is interfering with Internet communications between there and the server.  there is no reason that different servers would be used.

is the servers playing up? For the last couple of days i have been trying to download a master snapshot and each time it comes down it is only about 540k. Is the server playing up? for when i go to click on it up comes a security smart screen I think it is the windows one.

I am also wondering if things have changed like it is a stub then it gets the main file? I am guessing not.

I usually like once a week to see what might of gone into it each week.

Has any one else had the same problems?

This was doing it from inside of the master snapshot under the help section.

I have also tried it from the main page and still got the same results.

This was again on feb 18th and also tried on the 17th

Gene nz

--
[Image NVDA          certified expert]

Also, does the page take noticeably longer to load when you go to the download page?

[...]

I actually don't know, but it worked here. Did you try wGet to see if you could get it that way? or curl?

Good luck.

On Feb 18, 2018, at 2:24 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Gene

No problems with the internet or going to the snapshots page etc it is say when you go to either update the master snapshot through the help section it goes up to the server and then you press the enter key on the save one to download it it is just not downloading from there server that way and even if you go to the main page where the snapshots are and click on the file to download it you still get the same result. Some of the file  might come down maybe 400 k or so some times more but never the whole program.

The anti virus is not stopping it either. I have also tried different browsers still the same result.

It seems to be wanting me to retry the download all the time so is not downloading from the snapshots page but no problems any where else for downloading.

Gene nz

On 2/19/2018 11:39 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Nope. It loads very quickly over here. With my connection though I hardly feel slow downs though, at least for now. But yeah I was not kidding when I said I got the snap in about 2 seconds. At 100 mbps down I think most of that time was spent writing to the drive  lol!

On Feb 18, 2018, at 2:39 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

[...]

Christo de Klerk

When I update to the next snapshot through NVDA itself, it downloads perfectly and installs. When I download a snapshot through Chrome, it keeps crashing and I have to keep on pressing Resume, sometimes at every percentage of the download. There must either be some issue on the server, or some misunderstanding between the server and Chrome. I haven't tried another browser, though.

Kind regards

Christo

[...]

I'd suspect Chrome then, as firefox seems to work as did ie, not tried edge.
[...]

material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where
you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can
use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To
find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit
(Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified
expert near you, please visit the following link
https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains
the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the
world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

--
Image NVDA certified expert
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where
you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can
use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To
find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit
(Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert
near you, please visit the following link
https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains
the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world,
who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Go and download it manually from the page then run that and either create a new instance somewhere as a portable or overwrite an existing portable.
The copy can then be used if you get trouble installing the master over a next.

I'm not sure if this thread subject name is still part of the same actual problem reported.
The issue with next updates is that the download and install code changed meaning that the only way to continue to get updates that will work is to manually update it so the new code is in the working version.
[...]

Sounds to me like the downloader you are using in your browser is having a problem. Do you use any kind of anti virus that looks at downloads in real time? I remember some time ago a dodgy version of an anti virus did something similar to this, and telling it not to look at the downloads till they had finished fixed it. Basically it times out.

I've not had any issues since getting rid of third party anti virus software.

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk<mailto:bglists@blueyonder.co.uk>
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk<mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene New Zealand" <hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz><mailto:hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz>
[...]

Hmm, Just tried it yesterday and had no problems in Firefox. Could something have inadvertently loaded in malware or some other virus spotting software, Ccleaner is very good at this now they are owned by avast.
Other than that, I'm a little out of ideas, especially as it was working before.
[...]

No it would need to be severe latency or packet loss to cause downloads to fail. i wonder what streaming audio might be like?

[...]

So downloading files like podcasts etc elsewhere is no issue, or maybe programs?
If not then its a routing issue to the servers from your location by the sounds of it, but its very odd. Anyone else you know in your area who can also try it? Might be good to see if its your end or in fact a widespread issue.
I guess you could try some pings to the server address and see if the round trip time or packet loss is unacceptable.

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net<http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/> Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.