accessibility of other browsers for nvda users:

hello every one.
as my language is persian
and did not find and there is no one offline program for reading pdf
files in persian language except chrome, i decided to download chrome.
i realy did not like it,
its less accessible than firefox in using settings.
i could not change it to not update automaticly,
dont play audio and video files which i want to download.
openning files after download etc.
so, i wished to try other browsers based on chrome like chromium and slimjet.
did any of you test these browsers?
are they supported screen readers?
do they the problems that i mentioned for those, i dont like chrome or not.
i appreciate any of your help, sincerely pray for you and God bless you all!

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Gene

Please don't assume that because you can't do something, that it can't be done and that, if you don't fully understand an unfamiliar interface, that it is inaccessible or can't be worked with.  As far as updates are concerned, you can't avoid updates because Chrome automatically updates. But that doesn't matter in your case.  You use XP and Google Chrome, the browser, hasn't been updated for XP for perhaps almost a year.  In addition, the settings, or almost all of them, I haven't checked every one, are accessible, or at least can be worked with.  You have to do certain things to be able to work with some of them such as manually turn off and on browse mode.  The program isn't as accessible as it should be but there is a difference between accessibility and usability and a lot of programs are very usable, even though not fully accessible.  Chrome is largely accessible and is very usable, though not completely everything is.  But it's usable enough so that almost everything desired can be done except in the case of add ons which may not be accessible, but that's the fault of the add on designer.

I'm going into all this mainly because your message may, if not discussed, mslead others into believing Chrome is not usable and is not reasonably accessible.  I don't particularly like the interface but the program is reasonably accessible and quite usable.

As far as playing audio files, Chrome does play audio.  I don't know if it plays what you are trying to play.  I don't know what you are having problems with but please don't state things as though they are facts based on only your experience with an unfamiliar program.  It's perfectly alright to say, I couldn't get it to do this or that.  That doesn't mean it can't be done.

and did not find and there is no one offline program for reading pdf
files in persian language except chrome, i decided to download chrome.
i realy did not like it,
its less accessible than firefox in using settings.
i could not change it to not update automaticly,
dont play audio and video files which i want to download.
openning files after download etc.
so, i wished to try other browsers based on chrome like chromium and slimjet.
did any of you test these browsers?
are they supported screen readers?
do they the problems that i mentioned for those, i dont like chrome or not.
i appreciate any of your help, sincerely pray for you and God bless you all!

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

i did not say that chrome is not accessible, reading web pages and for
example gmail, is completely accessible and the quick navigation keys
are like firefox.
but its not very accessible for my need in customization and changing settings!
in firefox is about:config
which has thousands of options and i could easily set firefox
according to my desire,
i searched google and found hidden options in chrome.
but could not find anything that wished to find!
about automatic openning multimedia files, its not just happen on my system,
even this feature is on by default and by the grace of God, i could
find it in about:config
if i could not find this option for my firefox, i kept firefox 25
forever without update!
because this problem happened since firefox 26 that does not allow
downloading multimedia files without changing settings in about:config
by the way, did you try chromium and slimjet which i asked about them?

[...]

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Hello,
Why don't you use Adobe Acrobat Reader for offline PDF reading? It should read any language.
Google Chrome, plays movies and audio very well and to jump to the built-in download manager use F6 to open downloaded files.

Best,
Ralf

and did not find and there is no one offline program for reading pdf files in persian language except chrome, i decided to download chrome.
i realy did not like it,
its less accessible than firefox in using settings.
i could not change it to not update automaticly, dont play audio and video files which i want to download.
openning files after download etc.
so, i wished to try other browsers based on chrome like chromium and slimjet.
did any of you test these browsers?
are they supported screen readers?
do they the problems that i mentioned for those, i dont like chrome or not.
i appreciate any of your help, sincerely pray for you and God bless you all!

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages www.al-islam.org

Gene

I haven't tried those versions of Chrome, but why not ask if such settings are available in Chrome?  I don't know if they are or not but they either may be or there may be another way to do what you want in Chrome.  That's true for Firefox as well.  Also, I'm not sure what you want to do.  You appear to want to be able to save multimedia files without them opening in Chrome or Firefox.  As I said, there may be ways to do these things you don't know about in both browsers even if there are no settings.  I can't discuss multimedia files in part because I'm not sure just what kinds of files you are discussing and I may not have tried to save those filetypes..  But in terms of files such as audio files like MP3s, in Firefox, once the file starts to play in the browser, you can save it by issuing the command control s, then using the save as dialog that opens.  I wouldn't be surprised if that is true in Chrome as well.

Please explain what you want to do in detail so people can address it.

You may want to live in the technological past indefinitely but you can't unless you want to be increasingly unable to do things you do now and limited in things you may want to do in future.

On 2/19/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> Please don't assume that because you can't do something, that it can't be
> done and that, if you don't fully understand an unfamiliar interface, that
> it is inaccessible or can't be worked with.  As far as updates are
> concerned, you can't avoid updates because Chrome automatically updates. But
> that doesn't matter in your case.  You use XP and Google Chrome, the
> browser, hasn't been updated for XP for perhaps almost a year.  In addition,
> the settings, or almost all of them, I haven't checked every one, are
> accessible, or at least can be worked with.  You have to do certain things
> to be able to work with some of them such as manually turn off and on browse
> mode.  The program isn't as accessible as it should be but there is a
> difference between accessibility and usability and a lot of programs are
> very usable, even though not fully accessible.  Chrome is largely accessible
> and is very usable, though not completely everything is.  But it's usable
> enough so that almost everything desired can be done except in the case of
> add ons which may not be accessible, but that's the fault of the add on
> designer.
>
> I'm going into all this mainly because your message may, if not discussed,
> mslead others into believing Chrome is not usable and is not reasonably
> accessible.  I don't particularly like the interface but the program is
> reasonably accessible and quite usable.
>
> As far as playing audio files, Chrome does play audio.  I don't know if it
> plays what you are trying to play.  I don't know what you are having
> problems with but please don't state things as though they are facts based
> on only your experience with an unfamiliar program.  It's perfectly alright
> to say, I couldn't get it to do this or that.  That doesn't mean it can't be
> done.
>
> Gene

adobe acrobat does not support persian very well, moreover, its not
free and for the sanctions against iran and reading license of adobe,
i realy dont trust this company!

[...]

when for example: i want to download nvda or any other software in
firefox, it asks me whether i want to open this file, run or save it.
but about multimedia files, new browser open them by default without
asking whether i want to open them or download them.
this problem can be resolved completely by changing about:config
settings of firefox,
but about google chrome, it has not complete solution unfortunately
and wished that test other chrome based browser like slimjet or
chromium.

On 2/19/18, zahra a <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

okay,
i downloaded and tested slimjet,
but its not accessible unfortunately.
only some menus are accessible, but reading web pages and using
navigation quick keys is impossible.
only i could use tab and nvda reads link!
when i press enter on a link, it opens, but nvda cant read the content.
i found another browser which based on chrome titled vivaldi.
is it accessible?
sorry, its based on chromium engine.
has anyone experience using these browsers?

On 2/19/18, zahra <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

dude what are you trying to get to in the chrome settings?

your not giving us the proper detail

chrome is accessible I know several people who use it as there default browser myself included

On 2/19/2018 10:11 AM, zahra wrote:
[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah chrome is very  accessible. If you are not beeing clear you are of no help, so if it is not too  hard, please give us step by step what you are trying to do. This way we can help troubleshoot.

Take care

On 2/19/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The fact is that the older version of adobe reader is very hard to find now to download. I'm not sure if it does Persian either.
My experience in the language area is small.

I personally feel Zara needs to try to obtain a machine which at least can run windows 7 now as the problems will not be solved for older operating systems by any software maker. No I don't like it but its the way the world according to Miccrosoft is and we have to live in it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

and did not find and there is no one offline program for reading pdf files in persian language except chrome, i decided to download chrome.
i realy did not like it,
its less accessible than firefox in using settings.
i could not change it to not update automaticly, dont play audio and video files which i want to download.
openning files after download etc.
so, i wished to try other browsers based on chrome like chromium and slimjet.
did any of you test these browsers?
are they supported screen readers?
do they the problems that i mentioned for those, i dont like chrome or not.
i appreciate any of your help, sincerely pray for you and God bless you all!

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages www.al-islam.org

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think its the xp version, so not sure either. it alway will be an issue in xp, as its moved on since then, and you cannot use a more modern version of nvda either.

Might try an elderly copy of firefox instead but its not going to help with the language issues.
[...]

Adobereader dc is free.

On 20/02/2018 4:29 a.m., zahra wrote:
[...]

Yes but won't run on xp and I do not know if it does Persian language.
You would need adobe reader of an earlier time.
[...]

adobe reader version 11 supports xp.
but due to sanctions against iran,
there support for persian is no Good and i dont use the software that
its producer said:
the iranian should not download and use our product in any way.
i think i should forget pdf and found a solution for my word and html files.
since libreoffice and openoffice also are not very accessible,
i think that i should convert all of my files to html and find one html editor!
do you know one html editor which is accessible?

[...]

I'm quite new at these things but I tend to go a bit against the grain. What would happen if you just used it and ignored the mumbo jumbo about sanctions. Will you really get into trouble if you use the adobe suite? Why not just use it and ignore everything in the licence agreement, or use a proxy and pretend you are in the US. I do this when I need to shuttle my internet trafic to another state or country when my ISP is doing somethingn I don't like I'd say just use the software and don't worry about getting into trouble.

its producer said:
[...]

Pascal Lambert

Please refrain from making political or religious statements. Otherwise, this assistive technology forum will quickly turn into a forum for polemics as I am sure there many who would disagree with you.
Pascal

[...]

I agree, which is why I'm saying just use he software, you won't ir at least should not get into trouble. And it would be less work for you to convert everything into html anyway.

Take care

On Feb 20, 2018, at 11:08 AM, Pascal Lambert <rambeau68@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

but its a reality and because of sanctions against iran,
adobe does not support persian very well and i never use it.

[...]

Well then, why not email the developers and ask them to support your language, or just do the whole work in english or failing that, do your work on another language you know even if it is not perfect. Surely there are other ways, you are just failing to think outside the box, and even I probably missed some ideas. But there are other ways to skin a cat and get him to like it. Or, just use another browser or pandoc to open and convert pdfs.