Giving up on CodeFactory voices in NVDA

James Robinson

Hello!

You know, I have had it with this CodeFactory thing of deactivating
constantly. I checked out one of the Microsoft voices they have in NVDA and
this voice is not too bad; it is not as clear as Eloquence or the Vocalizer
Expressive voices, but it is a little better than the standard NVDA voice in
my opinion. I think CodeFactory could make this program permanent with NVDA
as it is with other screen readers. They end up making the program far too
much trouble to use in NVDA than it is worth. I'll just eat the cost
because I don't expect them to do anything about the crazy requirements for
using the voices. I'll thkink twice before I purchase such software in the
future.

Can we use any other Microsoft voices that windows offers? If so, how do we
do it?

James Robinson

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, David,

Microsoft David's pretty good. I like the Mark voice too.

Rosemarie

You know, I have had it with this CodeFactory thing of deactivating
constantly. I checked out one of the Microsoft voices they have in NVDA and
this voice is not too bad; it is not as clear as Eloquence or the Vocalizer
Expressive voices, but it is a little better than the standard NVDA voice in
my opinion. I think CodeFactory could make this program permanent with NVDA
as it is with other screen readers. They end up making the program far too
much trouble to use in NVDA than it is worth. I'll just eat the cost
because I don't expect them to do anything about the crazy requirements for
using the voices. I'll thkink twice before I purchase such software in the
future.

Can we use any other Microsoft voices that windows offers? If so, how do we
do it?

James Robinson

Andy

I've never seen this licensing scheme before. If you buy a license for JAWS, it's yours no matter how often you use the program.

Andy

You know, I have had it with this CodeFactory thing of deactivating
constantly. I checked out one of the Microsoft voices they have in NVDA and
this voice is not too bad; it is not as clear as Eloquence or the Vocalizer
Expressive voices, but it is a little better than the standard NVDA voice in
my opinion. I think CodeFactory could make this program permanent with NVDA
as it is with other screen readers. They end up making the program far too
much trouble to use in NVDA than it is worth. I'll just eat the cost
because I don't expect them to do anything about the crazy requirements for
using the voices. I'll thkink twice before I purchase such software in the
future.

Can we use any other Microsoft voices that windows offers? If so, how do we
do it?

James Robinson

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Not in my experience. I don't know how many jaws you've authorised, but I've done at least 50 over the years.

It's tied to your computer hardware. I've deactivated jaws by installing a new hard drive or optical drive, upgrading video card drivers, and more. There was even a run of dell vostro laptops that had two video cards, one for high performance when plugged in and the other for power conservation when on battery. Guess what happened when customers plugged and unplugged their laptops? You got it. And don't get me started on what happens to jaws licences in virtual environments.

Now maybe they have relaxed the licencing to account for some of these issues. It has been at least four years. Still, it's an issue that cost vast amounts of time and money in the past.

Best,

Erik

On February 19, 2018 1:42:15 PM "Andy" <wq6r@socal.rr.com> wrote:

[...]

Gene

But this is much worse.  In this system, the program continues to contact the server to check that it is authorized.  I don't know if it does this every time its run or maybe once every few days but it just never ends.  And what is going to happen to all the users if the company ever goes out of business?  this is a ludicrous license system.

> You know, I have had it with this CodeFactory thing of deactivating
> constantly.  I checked out one of the Microsoft voices they have in NVDA
> and
> this voice is not too bad; it is not as clear as Eloquence or the
> Vocalizer
> Expressive voices, but it is a little better than the standard NVDA voice
> in
> my opinion.  I think CodeFactory could make this program permanent with
> NVDA
> as it is with other screen readers.  They end up making the program far
> too
> much trouble to use in NVDA than it is worth.  I'll just eat the cost
> because I don't expect them to do anything about the crazy requirements
> for
> using the voices.  I'll thkink twice before I purchase such software in
> the
> future.
>
> Can we use any other Microsoft voices that windows offers?  If so, how do
> we
> do it?
>
> James Robinson

Luke Scholey <l.scholey.lists@...>

Even small little updates seem to annoy the licensing system. I have a Windows 10 machine and I upgraded it to a later version of Windows 10 and their system seemed to think it was a new computer. This meant I had to contact them and ask them to reset all my license keys, as I had used them all at this point, to then go round and activate them again on all my machines.
Luke

On 19 Feb 2018, at 19:49, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

But this is much worse.  In this system, the program continues to contact the server to check that it is authorized.  I don't know if it does this every time its run or maybe once every few days but it just never ends.  And what is going to happen to all the users if the company ever goes out of business?  this is a ludicrous license system.

> You know, I have had it with this CodeFactory thing of deactivating
> constantly.  I checked out one of the Microsoft voices they have in NVDA
> and
> this voice is not too bad; it is not as clear as Eloquence or the
> Vocalizer
> Expressive voices, but it is a little better than the standard NVDA voice
> in
> my opinion.  I think CodeFactory could make this program permanent with
> NVDA
> as it is with other screen readers.  They end up making the program far
> too
> much trouble to use in NVDA than it is worth.  I'll just eat the cost
> because I don't expect them to do anything about the crazy requirements
> for
> using the voices.  I'll thkink twice before I purchase such software in
> the
> future.
>
> Can we use any other Microsoft voices that windows offers?  If so, how do
> we
> do it?
>
> James Robinson

Luke Scholey
Webmaster i/c Publishing
lukescholey.co.uk
Tel: +44 7759 282586
Email: l.scholey@...

WWW.LUKESCHOLEY.CO.UK
All feedback and questions welcome. The site admin can be contacted at:
webmaster@...
All content copyright © 2012-2018 LukeScholey.co.uk
Confidentiality Notice:
This message and any attachments are private and confidential and may be subject to legal privilege and copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please do not publish or copy it to anyone else. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your email software and then remove it from your system.
Disclaimer:
Although this email and attachments have been scanned for viruses, LukeScholey.co.uk accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this communication.

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I use David and I'm ok with him. Only thing is, I at least absolutely have
to adjust the ini file that dictates how long he pauses between sentences,
or even comma clauses. A two second wait after a period is completely
intolerable from a speech synthesiser. Still, at least you can adjust it.
Only, Microsoft, when doing Windows updates, has altered it back to original
setting at least three times now, and I've had to change it back.

[...]

I have seen that you can. Microsoft claims that more are downloadable. It
also depends on the language pack you are using. Look around for Core or
SAPI5 voices (currently I am not sure how much difference there really is
between the two?) on the Microsoft site.

You know, I have had it with this CodeFactory thing of deactivating
constantly. I checked out one of the Microsoft voices they have in NVDA and
this voice is not too bad; it is not as clear as Eloquence or the Vocalizer
Expressive voices, but it is a little better than the standard NVDA voice in
my opinion. I think CodeFactory could make this program permanent with NVDA
as it is with other screen readers. They end up making the program far too
much trouble to use in NVDA than it is worth. I'll just eat the cost
because I don't expect them to do anything about the crazy requirements for
using the voices. I'll thkink twice before I purchase such software in the
future.

Can we use any other Microsoft voices that windows offers? If so, how do we
do it?

James Robinson

This licensing process is one reason I haven't made this purchase. I'd
love to be able to have something easy to work and not to worry about
if it will stop working or not after I made some update.

I'd be interested in using David--the pauses are what turn me off from
doing so though. I thought I remembered hearing updating the ini file
before, but can't find the email though I saved it.

What is the file? Where is it found? Where is the line found to edit
this?Can one use notepad to edit the file?
Sorry for the barrage of questions.

Thank you

On 2/19/18, JM Casey <crystallogic@ca.inter.net> wrote:
[...]

Hi, Melissa,

That's the part I don't like about Microsoft David. Other than that, it's a great voice to use.

Rosemarie

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'm assured we can, but I'm no expert.
I actually like Espeak Quincy voice for my screenreading use but some of the old faithful in the old speech platform like Hazel for reading documents, but with a lot of dictionary entries to fix stuff works quite well. What I do not like about Microsoft synths in general is the USA centric expansion of abbreviations.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

I've seen it, but it sounds to me like its not working as it is supposed to. I think many companies use a phone home system to see if its been cloned, but it should not simply cut you off if its been off line for a while. that is just plain silly.
[...]

Yes but it normally asks a simple question and it re registers tells you how many installs are left and provides contact if you have changed hardware and its not really a new machine. its to stop cloners who make several machines on one licence and give them to their mates.
[...]

Which is why I think its a bug. It should only do it if it detects hardware changes.
[...]

I was going to buy the code factory voices from atguys, I have the inoetics voices but they just never met my needs and now inoetics is not hancling the voices now.

My only hope is that I spend either on acapella or well who knows something else.

As for the voices, in regional and language settings of windows, install every language you want the voice for, then in each language open that up hit options and hit all the download buttons.

Once its all loaded remove all the extra languages and your voices and others will stay.

On 20/02/2018 6:06 a.m., James Robinson wrote:
[...]

.

mattias

How do you buy the inoetics voices?

Skickades från E-post för Windows 10

I was going to buy the code factory voices from atguys, I have the

inoetics voices but they just never met my needs and now inoetics is not

hancling the voices now.

My only hope is that I spend either on acapella or well who knows

something else.

As for the voices, in regional and language settings of windows, install

every language you want the voice for, then in each language open that

up hit options and hit all the download buttons.

Once its all loaded remove all the extra languages and your voices and

others will stay.

On 20/02/2018 6:06 a.m., James Robinson wrote:

> Hello!

> You know, I have had it with this CodeFactory thing of deactivating

> constantly.  I checked out one of the Microsoft voices they have in NVDA and

> this voice is not too bad; it is not as clear as Eloquence or the Vocalizer

> Expressive voices, but it is a little better than the standard NVDA voice in

> my opinion.  I think CodeFactory could make this program permanent with NVDA

> as it is with other screen readers.  They end up making the program far too

> much trouble to use in NVDA than it is worth.  I'll just eat the cost

> because I don't expect them to do anything about the crazy requirements for

> using the voices.  I'll thkink twice before I purchase such software in the

> future.

> Can we use any other Microsoft voices that windows offers?  If so, how do we

> do it?

> James Robinson

> .

Well you can't they no longer sell them directly I got a sale a couple years back but honestly they aren't really worth it.

I was hoping to get vocaliser or acapella or ivona or one of the packs.

On 20/02/2018 9:25 p.m., mattias wrote:
[...]

Would it be worth contacting CF and informing him of the issues we’re having with the licensing system?
Luke

--
Luke Scholey
Webmaster i/c Publishing

webmaster@lukescholey.co.uk
All content copyright © 2012-2018 LukeScholey.co.uk
Confidentiality Notice:
This message and any attachments are private and confidential and may be subject to legal privilege and copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please do not publish or copy it to anyone else. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your email software and then remove it from your system.
Disclaimer:
Although this email and attachments have been scanned for viruses, LukeScholey.co.uk accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this communication.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'd hoped somebody might have already. What is the difference between their product and the other version being sold on line?
I have neither myself as don't like Eloquence uk as a vvoice, and the others are not needed.
It does seem to be a bug to me, as no other system will chase you unless hardware has been changed.
It may check if you are there occasionally but will not fail simply because you could not be seen in the appropriate time limit.

Dolphin doo this. I've seen their pings occasionally, one assumes they keep tabs on old customers and then ask you about updates when yours is out of date, but a speech synth is perhaps not so crucial to update as a screenreader and in any case it should only flag up updates not cut you off.