qbittorrent was Re: [nvda] usable torrent client recommendations?

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

I just installed qbittorrent. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the email about how to make the transfer treeview accessible. I googled it, but only got a page full of sponsored content and forum posts about nvidia stuff. Google seems to be less now than it once was. IE, NVDA and NVidia are not the same thing, sighs.

I can use object navigation to see what's in the tree, but given hundreds of torrents, looking at each piece of info individually for each one is possibly not the most efficient way.

Thanks.

Erik

On February 19, 2018 5:47:43 AM "Simone Dal Maso" <simone.dalmaso@...> wrote:

Hello,
I use qBitTorrent.
The problem is landing in the download area to check what is happening,
but it is free without ads and after having configured it one time it works.

Il 16/02/2018 22:55, JM Casey ha scritto:
Hello everyone.

I have been using Utorrent, or Mu-torrent, as it is sometimes called. I
ended up with some build of 3.5 on this Windows 10 machine. It is not
totally unusable, but the ads have a tendency to get stuck and crash the
program. It also causes firefox to crash on a semi-regular basis. I was
even willing to “upgrade to pro”, to get rid of the ads, but clicking on
the link takes me to some silly games page, and while I’m sure it’s
possible to get to the correct page from there, I got this inexplicable
impression that the developers did not actually want me to upgrade the
software at all, since they make the path so cryptic. In short, I think
I would feel more comfortable with a different client altogether. Of
course, I am looking for one that is very configurable and which plays
nice with NVDA. Have you fine folks any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Gene

Google isn't less than it was.  I don't know what you searched for or how, nor what results might be available on the topic, but speculating about a decline in quality based on one search has no basis.

Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 11:24 AM
Subject: qbittorrent was Re: [nvda] usable torrent client recommendations?

<simone.dalmaso@...> wrote:

Hello,
I use qBitTorrent.
The problem is landing in the download area to check what is happening,
but it is free without ads and after having configured it one time it works.

Il 16/02/2018 22:55, JM Casey ha scritto:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I have been using Utorrent, or Mu-torrent, as it is sometimes called. I
> ended up with some build of 3.5 on this Windows 10 machine. It is not
> totally unusable, but the ads have a tendency to get stuck and crash the
> program. It also causes firefox to crash on a semi-regular basis. I was
> even willing to “upgrade to pro”, to get rid of the ads, but clicking on
> the link takes me to some silly games page, and while I’m sure it’s
> possible to get to the correct page from there, I got this inexplicable
> impression that the developers did not actually want me to upgrade the
> software at all, since they make the path so cryptic. In short, I think
> I would feel more comfortable with a different client altogether. Of
> course, I am looking for one that is very configurable and which plays
> nice with NVDA. Have you fine folks any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Gene

I'd have to do more checking.  perhaps, for some reason, this thread isn't known to google yet.  I did a search for the previous subject line, which was usable torrent client recommendation followed by nvda and another search for the same subject line followed by nvdagroups.io to make it more likely that archive searches would show up early in the results.  I found nothing.  but there has been no decline in Google.  I use it almost every day and I've seen no decline.

Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 11:24 AM

<simone.dalmaso@...> wrote:

Hello,
I use qBitTorrent.
The problem is landing in the download area to check what is happening,
but it is free without ads and after having configured it one time it works.

Il 16/02/2018 22:55, JM Casey ha scritto:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I have been using Utorrent, or Mu-torrent, as it is sometimes called. I
> ended up with some build of 3.5 on this Windows 10 machine. It is not
> totally unusable, but the ads have a tendency to get stuck and crash the
> program. It also causes firefox to crash on a semi-regular basis. I was
> even willing to “upgrade to pro”, to get rid of the ads, but clicking on
> the link takes me to some silly games page, and while I’m sure it’s
> possible to get to the correct page from there, I got this inexplicable
> impression that the developers did not actually want me to upgrade the
> software at all, since they make the path so cryptic. In short, I think
> I would feel more comfortable with a different client altogether. Of
> course, I am looking for one that is very configurable and which plays
> nice with NVDA. Have you fine folks any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Gene

A search of the archives shows this page with lots of messages shown from this thread.  You may follow the link to the one you think might take you closest to the part you are interested in.
I haven't looked extensively but this appears to be about where you might find what you want in the thread:

Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 11:24 AM

<simone.dalmaso@...> wrote:

Hello,
I use qBitTorrent.
The problem is landing in the download area to check what is happening,
but it is free without ads and after having configured it one time it works.

Il 16/02/2018 22:55, JM Casey ha scritto:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I have been using Utorrent, or Mu-torrent, as it is sometimes called. I
> ended up with some build of 3.5 on this Windows 10 machine. It is not
> totally unusable, but the ads have a tendency to get stuck and crash the
> program. It also causes firefox to crash on a semi-regular basis. I was
> even willing to “upgrade to pro”, to get rid of the ads, but clicking on
> the link takes me to some silly games page, and while I’m sure it’s
> possible to get to the correct page from there, I got this inexplicable
> impression that the developers did not actually want me to upgrade the
> software at all, since they make the path so cryptic. In short, I think
> I would feel more comfortable with a different client altogether. Of
> course, I am looking for one that is very configurable and which plays
> nice with NVDA. Have you fine folks any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Brian's Mail list account

You need to be very careful of torrent software it can intervene in searches by using something called conduit, which as the name suggests adds commercial content to any search you do anywhere. You need to check for this or similar with malware programs.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I just use a private tracker. No google searches here.

Anyway, by all means this thread can continue, but I got Utorrent working to my satisfaction, thanks to the suggestion about altering a whole bunch of flags, hidden deep within the settings.

<simone.dalmaso@...> wrote:

[...]

can I get the list of flags to set?

<simone.dalmaso@...> wrote:

[...]

There was a message from John Isige explaining this. He pointed me me to this url. Go here and follow the instructions. You will have to alter both the flags in the normal "advanced settigns" dialog as well as the hidden one, which you may have to get creative to get to. It requires a simultaneous mouse click and the pressing of shift-f2 on the keyboard. There is no other way to do it.
http://bitsnapper.com/disable-ads-from-utorrent/

<simone.dalmaso@...> wrote:

[...]

Stephen

Actually, you are able to do it without a mouse. , I tried it
Arrow down to preferences and hold down the left shift key, the f2 key, then tap enter.

<simone.dalmaso@...> wrote:

Hello,
I use qBitTorrent.
The problem is landing in the download area to check what is
happening, but it is free without ads and after having configured it
one time it works.

Il 16/02/2018 22:55, JM Casey ha scritto:
Hello everyone.

I have been using Utorrent, or Mu-torrent, as it is sometimes
called. I ended up with some build of 3.5 on this Windows 10
machine. It is not totally unusable, but the ads have a tendency to
get stuck and crash the program. It also causes firefox to crash on
a semi-regular basis. I was even willing to “upgrade to proâ€, to get
rid of the ads, but clicking on the link takes me to some silly
games page, and while I’m sure it’s possible to get to the correct
page from there, I got this inexplicable impression that the
developers did not actually want me to upgrade the software at all,
since they make the path so cryptic. In short, I think I would feel
more comfortable with a different client altogether. Of course, I am
looking for one that is very configurable
and which plays nice with NVDA. Have you fine folks any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Huh. I am pretty sure that was the first thing I tried, and it didn't work. John also mentioned this in his message, so I wasn't surprised. But ok, try that anyway; it seems others have had different experiences.

<simone.dalmaso@...> wrote:

Hello,
I use qBitTorrent.
The problem is landing in the download area to check what is
happening, but it is free without ads and after having configured
it one time it works.

Il 16/02/2018 22:55, JM Casey ha scritto:
Hello everyone.

I have been using Utorrent, or Mu-torrent, as it is sometimes
called. I ended up with some build of 3.5 on this Windows 10
machine. It is not totally unusable, but the ads have a tendency
to get stuck and crash the program. It also causes firefox to
crash on a semi-regular basis. I was even willing to “upgrade to
proâ€, to get rid of the ads, but clicking on the link takes me
to some silly games page, and while I’m sure it’s possible to
get to the correct page from there, I got this inexplicable
impression that the developers did not actually want me to upgrade
the software at all, since they make the path so cryptic. In
short, I think I would feel more comfortable with a different
client altogether. Of course, I am looking for one that is very
configurable
and which plays nice with NVDA. Have you fine folks any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Stephen

I suppose it depends on which version you're using. I downloaded the latest a few days ago.

<simone.dalmaso@...> wrote:

Hello,
I use qBitTorrent.
The problem is landing in the download area to check what is
happening, but it is free without ads and after having configured
it one time it works.

Il 16/02/2018 22:55, JM Casey ha scritto:
Hello everyone.

I have been using Utorrent, or Mu-torrent, as it is sometimes
called. I ended up with some build of 3.5 on this Windows 10
machine. It is not totally unusable, but the ads have a tendency
to get stuck and crash the program. It also causes firefox to
crash on a semi-regular basis. I was even willing to ‬œupgrade to
proâ€, to get rid of the ads, but clicking on the liink takes me
to some silly games page, and while I̢۪m sure re it̢۪s possible to
get to the correct page from there, I got this inexplicable
impression that the developers did not actually want me to upgrade
the software at all, since they make the path so cryptic. In
short, I think I would feel more comfortable with a different
client altogether. Of course, I am looking for one that is very
configurable
and which plays nice with NVDA. Have you fine folks any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

This directive is for utorrent, not for qbittorrent.

Best,

Erik

<simone.dalmaso@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's correct.