Bug in espeak ng used in NVDA Next

Simon Eigeldinger

Hi all,

The currently used espeak ng has a bug in the german language.
The bug has been fixed and espeak ng should be updated to latest master.
haven't opened a ticket yet because i thought i'll not make to much
noise about it.
though i can open a ticket as well if the devs prefer that.

Greetings and thanks,
Simon

---

Quentin Christensen

Hi Simon,

What version of eSpeak-NG are you using?  Looking at: https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/releases indicates that the latest version is 1.49.2, which we updated to prior to NVDA 2017.4.

Having said that, I know there are still issues with eSpeak, some of which are tracked on our issue tracker, and some on eSpeak-NG's here: https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/issues

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 5:35 AM, Simon Eigeldinger <simon.eigeldinger@...> wrote:
Hi all,

The currently used espeak ng has a bug in the german language.
The bug has been fixed and espeak ng should be updated to latest master.
haven't opened a ticket yet because i thought i'll not make to much
noise about it.
though i can open a ticket as well if the devs prefer that.

Greetings and thanks,
Simon

---

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'm still using the old Espeak in the speech palyer in espeak as the weird ways some words are said in ng is still a problem.
brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 5:35 AM, Simon Eigeldinger <simon.eigeldinger@vol.at
wrote:
Hi all,

The currently used espeak ng has a bug in the german language.
The bug has been fixed and espeak ng should be updated to latest master.
haven't opened a ticket yet because i thought i'll not make to much
noise about it.
though i can open a ticket as well if the devs prefer that.

Greetings and thanks,
Simon

---

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Simon Eigeldinger

Hi,

NVDA next is using espeak ng 1.49.3 dev at the moment.
espeak ng hasn't got a new release.
though the latest espeak ng in nvda next is from the master branch.
in espeak ng master the bug was fixed.
this is a german only bug where there are issues with some phoneme changes.

Greetings,
Simon

wrote:
Hi all,

The currently used espeak ng has a bug in the german language.
The bug has been fixed and espeak ng should be updated to latest master.
haven't opened a ticket yet because i thought i'll not make to much
noise about it.
though i can open a ticket as well if the devs prefer that.

Greetings and thanks,
Simon

---

Simon Eigeldinger

Hi Brian,

This is just a german only problem i have had.
already have reported to the espeak ng team and it has been fixed in espeak ng master.
nvda next has espeak ng master from a few weeks where the bug is present.

Greetings,
Simon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@nvaccess.org>
wrote:
Hi all,

The currently used espeak ng has a bug in the german language.
The bug has been fixed and espeak ng should be updated to latest master.
haven't opened a ticket yet because i thought i'll not make to much
noise about it.
though i can open a ticket as well if the devs prefer that.

Greetings and thanks,
Simon

---

hi.
i downloaded any version of 1.49.1 and 1.49.2 of espeak ng and says
that its not valid for win32!
but i am sure that download x86 version of espeak.
do you know the reason of this error?

wrote:
Hi all,

The currently used espeak ng has a bug in the german language.
The bug has been fixed and espeak ng should be updated to latest master.
haven't opened a ticket yet because i thought i'll not make to much
noise about it.
though i can open a ticket as well if the devs prefer that.

Greetings and thanks,
Simon

---

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Simon Eigeldinger

Hi,

You also need the c++ 2015 redistributable package.

Greetings,
Simon

wrote:
Hi all,

The currently used espeak ng has a bug in the german language.
The bug has been fixed and espeak ng should be updated to latest master.
haven't opened a ticket yet because i thought i'll not make to much
noise about it.
though i can open a ticket as well if the devs prefer that.

Greetings and thanks,
Simon

---

Simon Eigeldinger

Forgot to ask which OS are you using?

wrote:
Hi all,

The currently used espeak ng has a bug in the german language.
The bug has been fixed and espeak ng should be updated to latest master.
haven't opened a ticket yet because i thought i'll not make to much
noise about it.
though i can open a ticket as well if the devs prefer that.

Greetings and thanks,
Simon

---

Quentin Christensen

Sorry, that was my misreading re eSpeak-NG versions.

Re eSpeak-ng saying it won't work on Win 32, at a guess you may have downloaded the 64-bit version - on that eSpeak-NG download page: https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng#binaries you can download Windows binaries for 64 or 32-bit.

I'll have a look and see when we plan to update to one of the newer eSpeak-NG builds in next.

Quentin.

On 2/22/18, Simon Eigeldinger <simon.eigeldinger@...> wrote:
Hi Brian,

This is just a german only problem i have had.
already have reported to the espeak ng team and it has been fixed in
espeak ng master.
nvda next has espeak ng master from a few weeks where the bug is present.

Greetings,
Simon

Am 22.02.2018 um 10:47 schrieb Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io:
I'm still using the old Espeak in the speech palyer in espeak as the
weird ways some words are said in ng is still a problem.
brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

wrote:

Hi all,

The currently used espeak ng has a bug in the german language.
The bug has been fixed and espeak ng should be updated to latest master.
haven't opened a ticket yet because i thought i'll not make to much
noise about it.
though i can open a ticket as well if the devs prefer that.

Greetings and thanks,
Simon

---

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

no, i am sure completely that i installed 32bit version of espeak-ng,
but recieved the error for not valid win32!
i use windows xp, as many people know.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Quentin Christensen

Just above where you can download the Windows binaries on: https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng

There is a table showing minimum version.  For Windows it says you need Windows 8.  I wasn't 100% sure whether that was if you were compiling it yourself or for the binaries as well, but that could be the reason.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

i downloaded espeak from github.com
do you mean that espeak ng does not work on windows xp?
i downloaded binary msi file for x86 version of windows.

wrote:
[...]

The problems I referred to were some strings shut it up and some uK english words sounded incorrect in some cases when used in certain sentences.

wrote:
Hi all,

The currently used espeak ng has a bug in the german language.
The bug has been fixed and espeak ng should be updated to latest master.
haven't opened a ticket yet because i thought i'll not make to much
noise about it.
though i can open a ticket as well if the devs prefer that.

Greetings and thanks,
Simon

---

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

It is probably due to the compiler used to make the executable. Modern versions of Microsoft compilers no longer support xp or vista. They may still work on 32 bit systems running under 7, indeed the espeak build in nvda is a 32 bit build as nvda is 32 bit.
I'm guessing you might be using the sapi version of Espeak which will probably be designed to run on modern processors. The question is best asked on their mail list.

wrote:
Hi all,

The currently used espeak ng has a bug in the german language.
The bug has been fixed and espeak ng should be updated to latest master.
haven't opened a ticket yet because i thought i'll not make to much
noise about it.
though i can open a ticket as well if the devs prefer that.

Greetings and thanks,
Simon

---

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

That is normally sent out as part of the distribution though, in case the user does not have it.

wrote:
Hi all,

The currently used espeak ng has a bug in the german language.
The bug has been fixed and espeak ng should be updated to latest master.
haven't opened a ticket yet because i thought i'll not make to much
noise about it.
though i can open a ticket as well if the devs prefer that.

Greetings and thanks,
Simon

---

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Surely if you are using it on a system like mine with windows 7 which is still supported, they should use this as their base version supported.

wrote:
[...]

where can i download sapi5 version of espeak?
i did not find sapi5 version of 1.49.1 or 49.2 of espeak.

wrote:
[...]

You will find I think that most things that say x86, now look at windows 7sp1 as the minimum for being able to run them unless they specifically say it will run on xp.
Ccleaner claims to run on xp, but even there i notice its not going to run on amd chips either, only intel ones of recent vintage, say pent 4 and up.
This seems to be choices forced on the world by Microsoftscompilers.

wrote:
[...]

Please address personal email to:- briang1@blueyonder.co.uk,
putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

wrote:
[...]

thanks so much for your link.
but i wish that can use new versions of espeak ng too.

On 2/23/18, Ralf Kefferpuetz <ralf.kefferpuetz@elra-consulting.de> wrote:
http://espeak.sourceforge.net/download.html