Fw: Action required for users of Windows Live Mail 2012

From: Outlook
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2016 02:26
Subject: Action required for users of Windows Live Mail 2012

Action required for users of Windows Live Mail 2012. Dear User, Earlier this year we announced updates to Outlook.com that will help you collaborate with others, focus on what matters, and get more done.
Action required for users of Windows Live Mail 2012
Dear User,

Earlier this year we introduced a new Outl‍ook‍.‍com that will help you collaborate with others, focus on what matters, and get more done. The new Outlo‍ok‍.‍com delivers an exciting set of new experiences across web, phone, and desktop, and we’re eager for you to start using it.
It appears that you are currently using Windows Live Mail 2012 to connect to your Out‍look‍.‍com account. Windows Live Mail 2012 does not support the synchronization technologies used by the new Outl‍ook‍.‍com. When account upgrades begin at the end of June, you will no longer be able to receive email sent to your Out‍look‍.‍com account in Windows Live Mail 2012. Rest assured, you can always access your email by logging into Out‍look‍.‍com from any web browser, and you will continue to have access to all your data that is currently in Windows Live Mail 2012.
If you currently use Windows Live Mail 2012, we recommend that you switch to the Mail app in Windows to‍day. The Mail app is built in to Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10, and has a more modern design. To begin using it, simply launch the app and add your Out‍look‍.‍com account.
If you are using Windows 7, you can upgrade to a newer version of Windows to enjoy the Mail app and the other benefits. If you do not wish to upgrade, you can access your account via a web browser, or, you can take advantage of a free one-year subscription of Office 365 Personal, and use Outl‍ook 2016 to connect to your account.* This Off‍ice 365 subscription also includes other productivity applications such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel. It works on Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 10.
Please take action before Ju‍ne 30th, 2016, which is when we’ll begin upgrading accounts that currently use Windows Live Mail 2012. If you have more questions, please find answers to common FAQs in this help article, or you can contact Microsoft support.
We recognize that changes like this can be difficult, and apologize for any inconvenience this causes you. We hope that you’ll enjoy the benefits of moving to the new Outl‍ook‍.‍com.
Sincerely,
Outl‍ook‍.‍com team
*Must redeem by October 15, 2016. Valid for first time Office 365 subscriber. Credit card required; cancel anytime at www.office.com/myaccount. See full terms here.
Action required for users of Windows Live Mail 2012. Dear User, Earlier this year we announced updates to Outlook.com that will help you collaborate with others, focus on what matters, and get more done.

Ron Canazzi

I bet this is a phishing e-mail.  Notice the incorrect address for the Outlook site.

On 5/5/2016 7:23 PM, Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:
[...]

                  Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our Privacy Statement.
                  Microsoft Corporation
                  One Microsoft Way
                  Redmond, WA 98052

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Edited

It's not a phishing email; I just looked this subject up on Google and it's true. This article proved that it's true.

Update for those who can't seem to access the link, the article is at http://www.windowscentral.com/microsofts-windows-live-mail-2012-wont-send-or-receive-email-outlookcom-accounts

Wow, I think the solution to all is to switch to gmail and thunderbird and avoid thunderbird, the mail app, hmmm I don't like it and neither do those of my family on 10.

On 6/05/2016 11:23 a.m., Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:
[...]

I have to stick to Outlook.com because it is tied to my Office 365 subscription and the user account on my Surface 3, though I have Gmail for the purpose of using Google Docks, especially in class when doing group work online.

Even I'll say that this is Microsoft trying to force people into a very narrow set of mail access options for e-mail services they own.  I wonder what's going to happen to those with any of the Microsoft e-mail accounts (outlook.com, live.com, msn.com, hotmail.com) that are using other e-mail clients.  WLM 2012 supports POP and IMAP and those two access methods are what every other e-mail client I know of, including the Win8 and Win10 mail apps, use.

This is a peculiar and stupid move on Microsoft's part.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

I agree to a certain extent. I've been using WLM2012 for a long time and don't feel like changing, though Thunderbird is a good alternative. Even if the Outlook account is upgraded and compatability may break, Mozilla is sure to fix it in the next release once the issue has been discovered.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

I agree with y9ou all here. I really don't understand why microsoft doesn't bother to update windows live mail to make it better for us. It is a stupid move on their part.

Rosemarie

On 5/5/2016 6:07 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Even I'll say that this is Microsoft trying to force people into a very narrow set of mail access options for e-mail services they own.  I wonder what's going to happen to those with any of the Microsoft e-mail accounts (outlook.com, live.com, msn.com, hotmail.com) that are using other e-mail clients.  WLM 2012 supports POP and IMAP and those two access methods are what every other e-mail client I know of, including the Win8 and Win10 mail apps, use.

This is a peculiar and stupid move on Microsoft's part.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Rosemarie,

        We're in agreement, but on flip sides of the same coin.  I don't think that there is any reason to change the "outlook.com infrastructure" except to force users to use another of Microsoft's proprietary creations.  It's not WLM that needs updating it's that outlook.com doesn't need the "improvements" they're doing.

        Microsoft really doesn't learn from its past mistakes along these lines.  It's one thing to roll things out, and Windows 10 is one of those things, with policies firmly in place that users will either love or hate, but can make a decision knowing what those are.  To take something like e-mail, which has been about as stable as it can get as far as infrastructure goes, and muck with it, really doesn't make sense.  I suspect they'll lose a lot of their e-mail users over this, as people tend to get a lot more attached to their e-mail client programs than they are to their actual e-mail providers.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Edited

And, for those who are still believing that the email I received is a phishing email, take a look at this, https://blogs.office.com/2016/05/05/using-windows-live-mail-2012-with-outlook-com-time-to-update-your-email-application/

This is from official Microsoft Office blog, so it's obvious that this is a serious manor and that it is going to happen for real.

Edit: Even Google's Gmail no longer work with WLM2012 unless if you turn off a security setting, which is not a wise thing to do.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

Thanks very much for the explanation. I stand corrected. I don't see why microsoft wants to improve the outlook.com when it doesn't need it. Like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks again for the correction.

[...]

Gene

I didn't keep the e-mail being discussed.  Just because the transition is genuine, that doesn't mean the e-mail is.  I don't know.  But I do know that it is advised against following links in e-mails unless you know they are safe.  I believe Ron said he saw some sort of misspelling in the message.  That should make people very suspicious about whether the message is legitimate.  If you want to respond to the genuine issue, use Microsoft links from the actual Microsoft site.  Follow safety procedures and don't take chances, wherever an e-mail appears to come from.

Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2016 10:16 PM

And, for those who are still believing that the email I received is a phishing email, take a look at this, https://blogs.office.com/2016/05/05/using-windows-live-mail-2012-with-outlook-com-time-to-update-your-email-application/

This is from official Microsoft Office blog, so it's obvious that this is a serious manor and that it is going to happen for real.

Supanut,

         Well, I've never found two-step verification all that necessary for my e-mail.  A strong password is more than enough.  I have had the "allow less secure clients" (or whatever the phrasing is on Gmail) setting selected for years now without ill effect.  It's one of the few e-mail server setups that defaults two-step verification on.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Rosemarie Chavarria wrote: "Like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Microsoft and Google both seem to fail to appreciate the timeless nature of this adage.  They also tend to break the KISS principle of design on a very frequent basis, too.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Helga Schreiber

Hi, this is helga! What od you mean? I use Gmail so you mean it will not work man! Are you serious! NO way! And i use windows live mail 2012. Now what? What email client will i use guys? I will really appreciate any suggestions! Thansk and God bless!

Helga Schreiber

Member of National Federation of the Blind and Florida Association of Blind Students.
Phone:  (561) 706-5950
Skype: helga.schreiber26
INT Website: http://int4life.com/

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
Sent from my iPhone 6S running IOS 9.3.1

On May 5, 2016, at 11:16 PM, Supanut Leepaisomboon <supanut2000@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

And, for those who are still believing that the email I received is a phishing email, take a look at this, https://blogs.office.com/2016/05/05/using-windows-live-mail-2012-with-outlook-com-time-to-update-your-email-application/

This is from official Microsoft Office blog, so it's obvious that this is a serious manor and that it is going to happen for real.

Edit: Even Google's Gmail no longer work with WLM2012 unless if you turn off a security setting, which is not a wise thing to do.

Well its no secret that windows live mail is being phased out to be replaced with the mail app, its been no secret for months now.

On 6/05/2016 1:07 p.m., Brian Vogel wrote:
Even I'll say that this is Microsoft trying to force people into a very narrow set of mail access options for e-mail services they own. I wonder what's going to happen to those with any of the Microsoft e-mail accounts (outlook.com, live.com, msn.com, hotmail.com) that are using other e-mail clients. WLM 2012 supports POP and IMAP and those two access methods are what every other e-mail client I know of, including the Win8 and Win10 mail apps, use.

This is a peculiar and stupid move on Microsoft's part.
~ Henry Rosovsky

Well its clear ms are starting to have everything use its apps or not at all.
When I finally do upgrade, I will simply not be using apps because I am not sure which ones will hijack my account to be a ms one.
I don't use outlook.com anyway so thats all fine.
Cortana uses edge which is not fully up there and groove which isn't up there either.
Bing is basically all over ms pages, I use google on everything.

On 6/05/2016 4:05 p.m., Brian Vogel wrote:
Rosemarie Chavarria wrote: "Like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Microsoft and Google both seem to fail to appreciate the timeless nature of this adage. They also tend to break the KISS principle of design on a very frequent basis, too.
~ Henry Rosovsky

So what about other email clients in use, what about older accounts like hotmail.
Luckily I only have one hotmail account.
To me this smacks of centre of the universe syndrome. Best advice seems to be to use another email provider of free emails with eirher a better online interface or still uses pop3 and any old email client.
I use Outlook express and I suspect a lot still do from looking at headers of emails I see here.
If they are going to make a bespoke system they cshould publish how it works so third parties can emulate the protocol on their clients in my view, or expect to be left behind by the m leaving of people who do not want things t change for changes sake.
brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

I'm not sure myself, buyt normally such changes talke place and phishing folk tag on to them to take advantage of the confusion when it happens. A while vack now I had a genuine email from Microsoft with a message saying that as a hotmail user, great new facilities will be coming shortly, so one has to wonder.
However my comments I have made here and in the message I am writing to send next are a good idea in any case. I do not like the Outlook online email system.
[...]

Does that imply that 2014 and 2016 will work then?

I notice that there was some tweak to live mail 2014 very recently in updates. I have live mail, cannot use the mail app that was mentioned as its lame, and so.....