Scanner / OCR recommendation

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

I've got a query about a standalone scanner.  Is the OCR software which comes with any of the scanners such as Epson or Canon accessible (or even have an accessible Word plugin), or which third-party OCR would be worth considering?

I've personally used Omnipage and Abbyy in the past, and also had a scanner with an OCR plugin for Word that worked well, even though the main software wasn't great, but I haven't looked at anything recently to recommend.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Blee Blat <bleeblat@...>

I was wondering the same thing. I currently have a phone and computer but not a standalone scanner. How good is OCR these days? Should I get a scanner for things like legal documents and other important stuff. I don't always have people handy to read things. What's the most accurate software anyway? Is there something reasonably portable?

Ian Blackburn

I would recommend standalone scanning solutions for privacy issues

Such items as read easy move do a good job
You can use your phone with its apps for things that are not private
Because who knows if a computer is connected to the Internet how the software actually works
I mean does it send it to a remote server for processing for example
And then what happens to the image there
Just my thoughts regards Ian

On 1 Mar 2018, at 7:36 am, Blee Blat <bleeblat@gmail.com> wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. I currently have a phone and computer but not a standalone scanner. How good is OCR these days? Should I get a scanner for things like legal documents and other important stuff. I don't always have people handy to read things. What's the most accurate software anyway? Is there something reasonably portable?

Blee Blat <bleeblat@...>

Yes, I'd thought about that. That's the reason I didn't get one of the ones that works on the phone. If you send it for processing, who knows what happens to your image? Getting a good scan with a phone camera takes a bit of work too, I have found, though I can make it work. The last time I tried OCR though, which was the built-in Windows 10 one, on a scanned PDF, it made a complete mess of the output.

ely.r@...

Evening, or at least here in New England it is.

I have been using Abby FineReader for years. It is my original version 11 and it is running well under Windows 10. Right now my scanner is part of my Cannon printer, and though a one page at a time model, it serves very well. Abby is remarkably accurate and will scan to a wide variety of formats including Word, Excel and Epic.

One of the little things I like about it is that when installed, it adds itself to the context menu. Find a PDF file , hit the context key, arrow down to Abby and press the right arrow to view the options of formats you can convert to. Press the enter key and Abby opens and converts the file and then opens it in the correct app.

The only change I would make right now is to move to a scanner with a document feeder. I am also serious about moving up several generations of Abby.

Honestly I owe Abby the purchase of a newer version. Over the years with several major crashes, support has been quick and clear and restoration was very simple.

Good luck finding a solution that works, does not require fifty key presses and most important does not cost too much. I am a firm believer in an application that does a single job, but does it very well.

As for OCR on an iPad, if you have not tried Seeing AI, it is quite  a program, with a variety of  functions and if is free on the Appstore. Interestingly it was developed and is well maintained by Microsoft.

Disclaimer here: I do not work for Abby nor do I sell any of their products. Feel free to contact me off list if I can be of help, or just ask questions here.

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413()  727-3038

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:29 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Scanner / OCR recommendation

Hi everyone,

I've got a query about a standalone scanner.  Is the OCR software which comes with any of the scanners such as Epson or Canon accessible (or even have an accessible Word plugin), or which third-party OCR would be worth considering?

I've personally used Omnipage and Abbyy in the past, and also had a scanner with an OCR plugin for Word that worked well, even though the main software wasn't great, but I haven't looked at anything recently to recommend.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Blee Blat <bleeblat@...>

Good to know. The KNFB Reader demo didn't look all that promising. So I'll have to investigate this. Thank you for that.

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

HI.

You remind me here that I have been interested in this program for some time.

You say you are using an older version (11). What do you know about the current available versions? Perhaps, from an accessibility standpoint, specifically. I suppose if I were to buy the program, I would be getting the latest version, so before that happens, I’d want to make sure it works as well as yours does, you know?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of ely.r@...
Sent: February 28, 2018 7:46 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Scanner / OCR recommendation

I have been using Abby FineReader for years. It is my original version 11 and it is running well under Windows 10. Right now my scanner is part of my Cannon printer, and though a one page at a time model, it serves very well. Abby is remarkably accurate and will scan to a wide variety of formats including Word, Excel and Epic.

One of the little things I like about it is that when installed, it adds itself to the context menu. Find a PDF file , hit the context key, arrow down to Abby and press the right arrow to view the options of formats you can convert to. Press the enter key and Abby opens and converts the file and then opens it in the correct app.

The only change I would make right now is to move to a scanner with a document feeder. I am also serious about moving up several generations of Abby.

Honestly I owe Abby the purchase of a newer version. Over the years with several major crashes, support has been quick and clear and restoration was very simple.

Good luck finding a solution that works, does not require fifty key presses and most important does not cost too much. I am a firm believer in an application that does a single job, but does it very well.

As for OCR on an iPad, if you have not tried Seeing AI, it is quite  a program, with a variety of  functions and if is free on the Appstore. Interestingly it was developed and is well maintained by Microsoft.

Disclaimer here: I do not work for Abby nor do I sell any of their products. Feel free to contact me off list if I can be of help, or just ask questions here.

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413()  727-3038

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

sardar shankar

I use canon lide 220 with abbyy fine reader. but the software that
comes with it is good in terms of OCR but I feel fine reader is the
best in terms of accuracy

On 3/1/18, Blee Blat <bleeblat@gmail.com> wrote:
Good to know. The KNFB Reader demo didn't look all that promising. So
I'll have to investigate this. Thank you for that.

--
thanks and regards:
shankar
studying b.com computers @ B.C.C.A
admin of the facebook group axis to technology with accessibility,
skype I.D: sardarshankar4@outlook.com
mobile contact.no: 9494248500.

Rui Fontes

FineReader 12 is more accessible than 14.
There are not fineReader 13...

Rui

Às 15:48 de 01/03/2018, JM Casey escreveu:

HI.
You say you are using an older version (11). What do you know about the current available versions? Perhaps, from an accessibility standpoint, specifically. I suppose if I were to buy the program, I would be getting the latest version, so before that happens, I’d want to make sure it works as well as yours does, you know?
*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of *ely.r@comcast.net
*Sent:* February 28, 2018 7:46 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Scanner / OCR recommendation
Rick
Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413()  727-3038
*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of *Quentin Christensen
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:29 PM
*Subject:* [nvda] Scanner / OCR recommendation
Hi everyone,
Kind regards
Quentin.
--
Quentin Christensen
Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/>
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess

Hey.

Thanks for this information. How much of an obstacle do you find AFR 14 accessibility? I noticed that they, perhaps unsurprisingly, do not sell versions older than 14 on their site.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rui Fontes
Sent: March 1, 2018 11:25 AM

Rui

HI.

You remind me here that I have been interested in this program for
some time.

You say you are using an older version (11). What do you know about
the current available versions? Perhaps, from an accessibility
standpoint, specifically. I suppose if I were to buy the program, I
would be getting the latest version, so before that happens, I’d want
to make sure it works as well as yours does, you know?

*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of
*ely.r@comcast.net

I have been using Abby FineReader for years. It is my original version
11 and it is running well under Windows 10. Right now my scanner is
part of my Cannon printer, and though a one page at a time model, it
serves very well. Abby is remarkably accurate and will scan to a wide
variety of formats including Word, Excel and Epic.

One of the little things I like about it is that when installed, it
adds itself to the context menu. Find a PDF file , hit the context
key, arrow down to Abby and press the right arrow to view the options
of formats you can convert to. Press the enter key and Abby opens and
converts the file and then opens it in the correct app.

The only change I would make right now is to move to a scanner with a
document feeder. I am also serious about moving up several generations
of Abby.

Honestly I owe Abby the purchase of a newer version. Over the years
with several major crashes, support has been quick and clear and
restoration was very simple.

Good luck finding a solution that works, does not require fifty key
presses and most important does not cost too much. I am a firm
believer in an application that does a single job, but does it very well.

As for OCR on an iPad, if you have not tried Seeing AI, it is quite a
program, with a variety of functions and if is free on the Appstore.
Interestingly it was developed and is well maintained by Microsoft.

Disclaimer here: I do not work for Abby nor do I sell any of their
products. Feel free to contact me off list if I can be of help, or
just ask questions here.

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413() 727-3038

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of
*Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

I've got a query about a standalone scanner. Is the OCR software
which comes with any of the scanners such as Epson or Canon accessible
(or even have an accessible Word plugin), or which third-party OCR
would be worth considering?

I've personally used Omnipage and Abbyy in the past, and also had a
scanner with an OCR plugin for Word that worked well, even though the
main software wasn't great, but I haven't looked at anything recently
to recommend.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available:
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

bob jutzi <jutzi1@...>

I'm using the new KNFB Windows 10 app which I bought when discounted to $19 US and love it. I used ABBYY 12 but since I'm always trying out new system environments I grew weary of frequently needing to have an Activation reset.
I'm reinstalling on the only computer I have so don't see why they can't come up with a method of restoring from a license file. This option does exist; however I didn't have any luck activating.

On 3/1/2018 11:25 AM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Rui
HI.

*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of *ely.r@comcast.net

As for OCR on an iPad, if you have not tried Seeing AI, it is quite a program, with a variety of functions and if is free on the Appstore. Interestingly it was developed and is well maintained by Microsoft.

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413() 727-3038

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of *Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

I've got a query about a standalone scanner. Is the OCR software which comes with any of the scanners such as Epson or Canon accessible (or even have an accessible Word plugin), or which third-party OCR would be worth considering?

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Gary Metzler

Hi,

I am not Rick but, I am using the current version of abby and it works quite well.  I hope this helps.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2018 10:49 AM

HI.

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413()  727-3038

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

That’s good to hear. This would be version 14, then? That appears to be the latest.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gary Metzler
Sent: March 1, 2018 12:19 PM

Hi,

I am not Rick but, I am using the current version of abby and it works quite well.  I hope this helps.

Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2018 10:49 AM

HI.

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413()  727-3038

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I am told that knfb reader is now available for windows pcs, though have not tried it as it only works in 10, and I seem to recall if you have it for one platform its cheaper for another but its been a while since I looked. Other than that, what about the Cloud ocr Microsoft seem to be always talking about?
I don't know much about it as I'm using omnipage on a cannon and have used abbey, which althoug OK does seem to have issues ith i and l making my friend della into delia and new maldent high street into new maiden high street.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 11:28 PM

Hi everyone,

I've got a query about a standalone scanner. Is the OCR software which
comes with any of the scanners such as Epson or Canon accessible (or even
have an accessible Word plugin), or which third-party OCR would be worth
considering?

I've personally used Omnipage and Abbyy in the past, and also had a scanner
with an OCR plugin for Word that worked well, even though the main software
wasn't great, but I haven't looked at anything recently to recommend.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen

www.nvaccess.org

On a recent test, I found that a rostrum camera was actually better than a scanner most of the time.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 11:36 PM

bob jutzi <jutzi1@...>

Not sure what it sells for now, but for my use, the KNFB reader app is great which I use along with NVDA.

On 3/1/2018 12:43 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I am told that knfb reader is now available for windows pcs, though have not tried it as it only works in 10, and I seem to recall if you have it for one platform its cheaper for another but its been a while since I looked. Other than that, what about the Cloud ocr Microsoft seem to be always talking about?
I don't know much about it as I'm using omnipage on a cannon and have used abbey, which althoug OK does seem to have issues ith i and l making my friend della into delia and new maldent high street into new maiden high street.
Brian
bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@nvaccess.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 11:28 PM

Hi everyone,

I've got a query about a standalone scanner. Is the OCR software which
comes with any of the scanners such as Epson or Canon accessible (or even
have an accessible Word plugin), or which third-party OCR would be worth
considering?

I've personally used Omnipage and Abbyy in the past, and also had a scanner
with an OCR plugin for Word that worked well, even though the main software
wasn't great, but I haven't looked at anything recently to recommend.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen

www.nvaccess.org

It always depends on the quality of the image, sadly. I have played with contrast, grey scale and all sorts and in the end if its a clean crisp thing with few font changes or bold italics or size changes or column alterations most are fine. After that all bets are off.
I now tend to send docs back to suppliers and ask for a doc not a pdf of the text itself. I really do not know what they are doing that makes them so poor unless some idiot prints them then sacans them back in which seems to be a pretty pointless thing to do!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 11:57 PM

Yes, I'd thought about that. That's the reason I didn't get one of the ones that works on the phone. If you send it for processing, who knows what happens to your image? Getting a good scan with a phone camera takes a bit of work too, I have found, though I can make it work. The last time I tried OCR though, which was the built-in Windows 10 one, on a scanned PDF, it made a complete mess of the output.

ely.r@...

Here is a free 15 day trial of Abby FineReader if you want to try it.
https://www.abbyy.com/en-gb/lp/ee-finereader14-download-free-trial/?source=abbyy.com_en-gb_shopping

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413() 727-3038

Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2018 11:50 AM

Hey.

Thanks for this information. How much of an obstacle do you find AFR 14 accessibility? I noticed that they, perhaps unsurprisingly, do not sell versions older than 14 on their site.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rui Fontes
Sent: March 1, 2018 11:25 AM

Rui

HI.

You remind me here that I have been interested in this program for
some time.

You say you are using an older version (11). What do you know about
the current available versions? Perhaps, from an accessibility
standpoint, specifically. I suppose if I were to buy the program, I
would be getting the latest version, so before that happens, I’d want
to make sure it works as well as yours does, you know?

*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of
*ely.r@comcast.net

I have been using Abby FineReader for years. It is my original version
11 and it is running well under Windows 10. Right now my scanner is
part of my Cannon printer, and though a one page at a time model, it
serves very well. Abby is remarkably accurate and will scan to a wide
variety of formats including Word, Excel and Epic.

One of the little things I like about it is that when installed, it
adds itself to the context menu. Find a PDF file , hit the context
key, arrow down to Abby and press the right arrow to view the options
of formats you can convert to. Press the enter key and Abby opens and
converts the file and then opens it in the correct app.

The only change I would make right now is to move to a scanner with a
document feeder. I am also serious about moving up several generations
of Abby.

Honestly I owe Abby the purchase of a newer version. Over the years
with several major crashes, support has been quick and clear and
restoration was very simple.

Good luck finding a solution that works, does not require fifty key
presses and most important does not cost too much. I am a firm
believer in an application that does a single job, but does it very well.

As for OCR on an iPad, if you have not tried Seeing AI, it is quite a
program, with a variety of functions and if is free on the Appstore.
Interestingly it was developed and is well maintained by Microsoft.

Disclaimer here: I do not work for Abby nor do I sell any of their
products. Feel free to contact me off list if I can be of help, or
just ask questions here.

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413() 727-3038

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf Of
*Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

I've got a query about a standalone scanner. Is the OCR software
which comes with any of the scanners such as Epson or Canon accessible
(or even have an accessible Word plugin), or which third-party OCR
would be worth considering?

I've personally used Omnipage and Abbyy in the past, and also had a
scanner with an OCR plugin for Word that worked well, even though the
main software wasn't great, but I haven't looked at anything recently
to recommend.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Hi List

Which is mor accessible with NVDA between the following:

Abby Fine Reader

OmniPage

Dolphin Easy Converter?

Kind regards

Sent: Thursday, 01 March 2018 5:49 PM

HI.

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413()  727-3038

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Hi List

I forgot to add Open Book.  So which of those four apps would work better with NVDA?

Kind regards

Sent: Thursday, 01 March 2018 5:49 PM

HI.

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413()  727-3038

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen