Topics

Gmail using thunderbird

Arlene

Hi list. Arlene here: Can Gmail be added to thunderbird?  How does one do it?  Thanks any help will be appriciated.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Do you mean as in the mail client that comes with windows 10? if it is that no.

Or is it like a mail provider? like outlook.com or gmail?

It may just be a matter of getting the email settings then entering them into thunder bird.

Gene nz

On 3/6/2018 1:57 PM, Arlene wrote:

Hi list. Arlene here: Can Gmail be added to thunderbird?  How does one do it?  Thanks any help will be appriciated.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi again

or do you mean like the following link at https://www.lifewire.com/what-are-mail-com-pop3-settings-1170499

If it is some ting like that i am sure thunder bird would have the settings for it as well i would just have to look them up unless they are the same but with with thunderbird help.

Gene nz

Hi

Do you mean as in the mail client that comes with windows 10? if it is that no.

Or is it like a mail provider? like outlook.com or gmail?

It may just be a matter of getting the email settings then entering them into thunder bird.

Gene nz

On 3/6/2018 1:57 PM, Arlene wrote:

Hi list. Arlene here: Can Gmail be added to thunderbird?  How does one do it?  Thanks any help will be appriciated.

Arlene

No, This person uses windows 7.  I know it can be used with outlook 2010. That’s what I have.  Can this person use it with win 7?

Do you mean as in the mail client that comes with windows 10? if it is that no.

Or is it like a mail provider? like outlook.com or gmail?

It may just be a matter of getting the email settings then entering them into thunder bird.

Gene nz

On 3/6/2018 1:57 PM, Arlene wrote:

Hi list. Arlene here: Can Gmail be added to thunderbird?  How does one do it?  Thanks any help will be appriciated.

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  go to tools/account settings.  Tab once to the "Accounts action Menu" button.  Press the space bar.  Here you can set up all sorts of accounts, but what you would be interested in is to add a new account, so arrow down to "Add Mail Account".  Press enter on that.  Now fill in your details in the appropriate edit fields like name, email address, which in your case should be *@gmail.com, for example, and don't forget to enter your password.   These edit fields can be accessed by tabbing through the interface.  once finished,  hit the "continue button" then tab to the "Done" button and press the space bar to activate it, and tb will do the rest.  Cheers!

On 6/3/2018 8:57 AM, Arlene wrote:

Hi list. Arlene here: Can Gmail be added to thunderbird?  How does one do it?  Thanks any help will be appriciated.

Ok, I assume like me you use pop and not imap.

First you will need to clear all your gmail accounts and other things from thunderbird.

You next create your account as usual and set imap.

Then at some point google will ask you to login and put up a brouser window.

Login and click allow and then its connected.

You can clear imap and switch back to pop if you want.

I found that out the hard way when email stopped.

On 6/03/2018 1:57 p.m., Arlene wrote:
Hi list. Arlene here: Can Gmail be added to thunderbird? How does one do
it? Thanks any help will be appriciated.

Arlene

Oh ok. That same thing happened to me just recently. I'm using outlook
2010. I had to do the same thing. I found that out the hard way too just
recently. I don't use thunder bird. Thanks for your help. I'll pass it onto
my friend who's helping this other friend put Gmail onto his thunder bird.
The person who's helping uses windows ten. Would that be a problem. Cause
she's using jaws 18 and so does this other person. The person who's needing
the help is using windows 7.

Ok, I assume like me you use pop and not imap.

First you will need to clear all your gmail accounts and other things from
thunderbird.

You next create your account as usual and set imap.

Then at some point google will ask you to login and put up a brouser window.

Login and click allow and then its connected.

You can clear imap and switch back to pop if you want.

I found that out the hard way when email stopped.

On 6/03/2018 1:57 p.m., Arlene wrote:
Hi list. Arlene here: Can Gmail be added to thunderbird? How does one
do it? Thanks any help will be appriciated.

Arlene

Thanks! I’ll pass that on too.

Hi.  go to tools/account settings.  Tab once to the "Accounts action Menu" button.  Press the space bar.  Here you can set up all sorts of accounts, but what you would be interested in is to add a new account, so arrow down to "Add Mail Account".  Press enter on that.  Now fill in your details in the appropriate edit fields like name, email address, which in your case should be *@gmail.com, for example, and don't forget to enter your password.   These edit fields can be accessed by tabbing through the interface.  once finished,  hit the "continue button" then tab to the "Done" button and press the space bar to activate it, and tb will do the rest.  Cheers!

On 6/3/2018 8:57 AM, Arlene wrote:

Hi list. Arlene here: Can Gmail be added to thunderbird?  How does one do it?  Thanks any help will be appriciated.

Arlene

I’ll look at it too. I’ll pass this info to my friend who’s using win ten and is helping this other friend who’s using Thunderbird and win 7.

If it is some ting like that i am sure thunder bird would have the settings for it as well i would just have to look them up unless they are the same but with with thunderbird help.

Gene nz

Hi

Do you mean as in the mail client that comes with windows 10? if it is that no.

Or is it like a mail provider? like outlook.com or gmail?

It may just be a matter of getting the email settings then entering them into thunder bird.

Gene nz

On 3/6/2018 1:57 PM, Arlene wrote:

Hi list. Arlene here: Can Gmail be added to thunderbird?  How does one do it?  Thanks any help will be appriciated.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes this either gmail via pop or imap is somewhat restrictive, I like to keep both active on other accounts so I can see the spam folder and also sort messages automatically, I just do not see the google logic of not allowing both to work.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Ok, I assume like me you use pop and not imap.

First you will need to clear all your gmail accounts and other things from thunderbird.

You next create your account as usual and set imap.

Then at some point google will ask you to login and put up a brouser window.

Login and click allow and then its connected.

You can clear imap and switch back to pop if you want.

I found that out the hard way when email stopped.

On 6/03/2018 1:57 p.m., Arlene wrote:
Hi list. Arlene here: Can Gmail be added to thunderbird? How does one do
it? Thanks any help will be appriciated.

Well My issue is that on web not all messages get displayed if I download via pop/imap I seem to get more messages even if there is only 1 page of messages I tend to get a lot more messages on pop/imap.

I have been using pop my entire life.

The only reason I switched my dad to imap was that he had 2 devices, an ios and a pc and wanted to sync.

I am unsure even if I get an iphone or something if I'd ever use it for email though not at first.

You can't pop secure your gmail though, once you switch to imap and secure it you can just use pop again.

Its a pitty that you can't just process web directly like they used to do with ms outlook express and old hotmail addresses before microsoft screwed that up.

On 7/03/2018 1:14 a.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Yes this either gmail via pop or imap is somewhat restrictive, I like to keep both active on other accounts so I can see the spam folder and also sort messages automatically, I just do not see the google logic of not allowing both to work.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaun Everiss" <@smeveriss>
Ok, I assume like me you use pop and not imap.

First you will need to clear all your gmail accounts and other things from thunderbird.

You next create your account as usual and set imap.

Then at some point google will ask you to login and put up a brouser window.

Login and click allow and then its connected.

You can clear imap and switch back to pop if you want.

I found that out the hard way when email stopped.

On 6/03/2018 1:57 p.m., Arlene wrote:
Hi list. Arlene here: Can Gmail be added to thunderbird?  How does one do
it?  Thanks any help will be appriciated.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

It was very slow though. i can recall the old hotmail taking ages to download.
I sufggest that if Google and other webmail vendors would stop messing with their web interfaces simply for the sake of it somebody could easily make a client to make it independent of the web site.
Sadly the companies seem intent on reinventing wheels all the time.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Ok, I assume like me you use pop and not imap.

First you will need to clear all your gmail accounts and other things from thunderbird.

You next create your account as usual and set imap.

Then at some point google will ask you to login and put up a brouser window.

Login and click allow and then its connected.

You can clear imap and switch back to pop if you want.

I found that out the hard way when email stopped.

On 6/03/2018 1:57 p.m., Arlene wrote:
Hi list. Arlene here: Can Gmail be added to thunderbird? How does one do
it? Thanks any help will be appriciated.

Tony Ballou

Hi,

Sorry about getting to this so late.  Yes, it certainly can.  Once you install Thunderbird, when it prompts for adding an account, enter your Gmail account information and all should be gravy.

Tony