CAVI is offering free audio editing classes

CAVI will no longer offer its courses on audio fundamentals, advanced audio production and music composition, so they are offering them as donationware, that is, free, with donations appreciated. The thought is, particularly with regard to the Reaper program, that it will evolve, rendering some of the course materials obsolete, so they prefer that people be able to use the course materials while they are still current. There's a lot of quality instructional material here

http://wiki.cucat.org/index.php/Main/Audiogiveaway

David Mehler

Hi,

I was told that CAVI was not doing any courses anymore. This is very sad.

Dave.

On 3/8/18, Robert Kingett <kingettr@gmail.com> wrote:
CAVI will no longer offer its courses on audio fundamentals, advanced
audio production and music composition, so they are offering them as
donationware, that is, free, with donations appreciated. The thought is,
particularly with regard to the Reaper program, that it will evolve,
rendering some of the course materials obsolete, so they prefer that
people be able to use the course materials while they are still current.
There's a lot of quality instructional material here

http://wiki.cucat.org/index.php/Main/Audiogiveaway

I don't know about, anymore, but if that's true, that is very sad. The only blindness ventures that seem to stay alive are the open source projects. Wonder why Hadley is still standing, though.

well to be honest, I just read an article on the decline of streaming music and I guess some of that stuff just doesn't last continuously.

I mean vfo has just about everything, but I know other products and companies are no more.

I am sure if the governments and schools were not buying jaws then jaws wouldn't exist either.

On 9/03/2018 1:57 a.m., Robert Kingett wrote:
I don't know about, anymore, but if that's true, that is very sad. The only blindness ventures that seem to stay alive are the open source projects. Wonder why Hadley is still standing, though.

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

first its not only schools and government agencies that purchase Jaws. Do you think they have 0 consumers that purchase or purchase SMAs?

well to be honest, I just read an article on the decline of streaming music and I guess some of that stuff just doesn't last continuously.

I mean vfo has just about everything, but I know other products and companies are no more.

I am sure if the governments and schools were not buying jaws then jaws wouldn't exist either.

On 9/03/2018 1:57 a.m., Robert Kingett wrote:
I don't know about, anymore, but if that's true, that is very sad. The only blindness ventures that seem to stay alive are the open source projects. Wonder why Hadley is still standing, though.

Blee Blat <bleeblat@...>

Yes, it is absolutely correct that a large part, probably 80-90% of sales of adaptive technology products come from government. This is why I still haven't got a braille display even though I contacted 3 vendors. They prefer corporate or government accounts. Nobody wants to deal with me because I am not a government. Even getting a cane shipped is proving problematic. They expect you to be enslaved, and if you manage to find a way around it, then the system doesn't want to be at all useful.

True, but the initial purchace is probably funded, now once we have it ofcause we have to continue to pay for upgrades I meant full products.

I do get from time to time full upgrades of supernova, but I wouldn't have brought it if my school hadn't and I wouldn't have gotten jaws if I didn't have university student funding to do so.

On 9/03/2018 12:08 p.m., Dennis L wrote:
first its not only schools and government agencies that purchase Jaws. Do you think they have 0 consumers that purchase or purchase SMAs?
well to be honest, I just read an article on the decline of streaming music and I guess some of that stuff just doesn't last continuously.

I mean vfo has just about everything, but I know other products and companies are no more.

I am sure if the governments and schools were not buying jaws then jaws wouldn't exist either.

On 9/03/2018 1:57 a.m., Robert Kingett wrote:
I don't know about, anymore, but if that's true, that is very sad. The only blindness ventures that seem to stay alive are the open source projects. Wonder why Hadley is still standing, though.

Well thats where it can be different at least for me, it still costs to get a cane and other accesseries but at least they are below 100 bucks I think it cost me between 35 and 60 bucks for a cane and they last a long while.

I don't mind it that much.

Ok but what I do mind is that whilst at a conference in australia, a friend of mine got me a graphite cane, thats really good but its thinner and well utter crap, it may as well be, new zealand tips don't fit the thing and I am not importing australian tips I allready pay enough for new zealand tips.

The government and business funded software still has its place, schools, universities, and for businesses well you get funds for starting one, studdying etc, if you ever got into a job in the first place chances are you would get jaws to use for your job because that is what the blind user uses for work, jaws its the norm.

Ofcause consumers try to get updates themselves, funding is not always there not unlimited and it can be quite a narrow thing.

At any rate my argument has nothing at all to do with smas, upgrades and the like even though they do cost but the start prices, of the programs and the start training to go with them.

For me a big issue is simply that these so called disability companies seem to to a point want the entire sum up front, no one has that cash.

Maybe something has changed I don't know.

Even if it had, benefits are small and you would pay it off vary little at a time.

Now if all those companies did it like ms does with the 365 model I think norton do the same thing, you could always have the latest and pay for subscriptions and get access to well things.

Maybe have the option after you pay enough that you can outright buy your program and then continue to upgrade it either by subscription or something that isn't really what I care to do but at least its acceptable I mean I could live with that.

As for braille, yeah braille displays are outdated and crappy the technology a lot of them currently use has not been changed in years, its old and outdated, and from what I heard from online and offline groups, the parts are getting harder and harder to source.

For braille displays, the future is probably something that can be 3d printed.

On 9/03/2018 12:14 p.m., Blee Blat wrote:
Yes, it is absolutely correct that a large part, probably 80-90% of sales of adaptive technology products come from government. This is why I still haven't got a braille display even though I contacted 3 vendors. They prefer corporate or government accounts. Nobody wants to deal with me because I am not a government. Even getting a cane shipped is proving problematic. They expect you to be enslaved, and if you manage to find a way around it, then the system doesn't want to be at all useful.

Vlad Dragomir

Hello all,

First of all, thanks to the initial poster. Without you, I would have never known about this site.

Second, has anyone attended any courses of this Cavi school? On one hand, the idea of accessible courses seems fantastic, I'm particularly interested in their computer related programmes. On the other hand, the site seems a little bit abandoned, there are contradictions on different pages, especially when it comes to availability, the newest pages are from 2017. Besides, their prices aren't as affordable as they pretend, at least from my very personal prospective. Financially, it would be a big effort for me. I might be in a minority here, so I do apologise for this last thought, but if they offered real discounts, I believe they'd have much more students. Let's face it, the blind are rarely rich, unless their names are Stevie Wonder or Andrea Bocelli. If NVAccess can offer NVDA for free and keep existing through donnations, why not CiscoVision? I humbly admit it, I have much more respect for NVAccess and their generous model, and enthusiastically became a monthly donner recently.

Sorry again, this isn't exactly related to NVDA, but I thought I'd pop in with these very unobjective remarks. Thanks for reading.

Best,

Vlad.

Ian Blackburn

I have attended their introduction to computer courses
Way back in 2005 and 2006
They were worthwhile doing
Lectures were quite casually delivered
For people in real needs are used to be scholarships for the course
Regards Ian

On 9 Mar 2018, at 1:04 pm, Vlad Dragomir <vladdragomir1983@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ian for the feedback, it might be worth trying to save for a few months then. All the best!

Andrew <drudwn2000@...>

Hello, my name is Andrew. I took one of the last courses at CAVI Reaper & Goldwave. I
will say that the instructors are top notch. I had three instructors, one left in the
middle of the course. Management had decided that you listen to a podcast and have a
Q&A session if anything heard in podcast was not clear.
I enjoyed learning Reaper and learning it with others who sought to know about Reaper.
I and others saw the flaw in their podcast and Q&A style and I'm sure that's why
enrollment numbers suffered.
I paid $250.00 for the course they are now giving away for free. Andrew

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Can we not start this my screenreader is better than yours thread again?
Pretty please?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.