Topics

Anti Virus Program

Andrea Sherry

tried free version of AVG. Setup was difficult and I was not able to control anything the program did after installation.

Is there anything better I could try?

Andrea

--
Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Brad

You know this has popped up so much and I have decided that there just isn't anymore.

Avast could have been a great program.

Nod32 was accessible up to a point, it aint now, vipre maybe, panda antivirus maybe.

Sophos.

To be honest the fact so many lagit programs are being mistargeted, forcing users like me to have to basically leave vast parts of the os open to attack is a problem.

Some users have gone so far to exclude their drives from scanning and that does in deed fix things.

On my new system I am just going to have to exclude my backup drive from scanning because I just don't trust what windows defender will do.

As for the rest, I will have to restructure my drive, and exclude all audio games, all portable apps, all apps,  all user installed programs the only things I will leave with programs in it are windows and ms programs and my downloads folder and maybe make a folder for unprocessed files and exclude that.

Basically to use my system securely I will have to exclude pritty much half my c drive in order to not run into problems.

I may as well not use antivirus alltogether, but I have no choice, there are just to many false positives to handle.

On 9/03/2018 3:14 p.m., Andrea Sherry wrote:
tried free version of AVG. Setup was difficult and I was not able to control anything the program did after installation.

Is there anything better I could try?

Andrea

Sam Taylor

Try Clamwin antivirus. it's effective, small, portable and free.

On 9/03/2018 14:20, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Oh, and most importantly accessible.

[...]

Gene

It isn't effective.  Look up reviews in an Internet search.  It is very poorly rated.

[...]

Tony Ballou

Hi Andrea,

Try the free version of avira. It works with NVDA.

Tony

On 3/8/2018 9:14 PM, Andrea Sherry wrote:
tried free version of AVG. Setup was difficult and I was not able to
control anything the program did after installation.

Is there anything better I could try?

Andrea

Andrea Sherry

hThat's what I'm after.

I find Defender somewhat difficult to navigate.

Andrea

On 9/03/2018 3:57 PM, Sam Taylor wrote:

[...]

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Hi.  Windows defender is efficient enough these days.  Avg has no accessible value, at least not to my knowledge.  Cheers!

On 9/3/2018 10:14 AM, Andrea Sherry wrote:
tried free version of AVG. Setup was difficult and I was not able to control anything the program did after installation.

Is there anything better I could try?

Andrea

I thought clamwin wasn't that good tests wize, also there is no on demand module.

But if it is, then I guess all I'd need to do is scan my downloads but hmmph.

On 9/03/2018 5:57 p.m., Sam Taylor wrote:
[...]

You may get information if you ask here about how to use the program.  Are you using Windows 10, Windows 7 or Windows 8?  For Windows 7, you should use Microsoft Security Essentials.  If Windows 10, Windows Defender.  I'm not sure about Windows 8.  But the program, whichever you use, should be able to be used.  I know Microsoft Security Essentials is.  If you don't understand the interface, it can be explained.  I haven't used Windows Defender but I know people are using it.

Aside from that, I don't know what other programs are available now that are accessible, or reasonably so.

These programs are much better than Clamwin.  They have improved over the last two years and, while not considered really good, are considered adequate by reviewers I've read.  I'm not saying you should use these programs.  I'm saying that they are considered adequate by the reviews I've read recently and also that if you have a problem with a program, if you ask about it rather than just assume it isn't usable, you may find that it is.

Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2018 11:53 PM

[...]

On that note, what steps can we do to reduce false positives exactly.

Issue, just about every blind related thing bgt excluded since that can't be helped as such because of its design is being flagged as a virus, excluding things does help, but there are old vb6 programs saying this, is there anything say a user can do, ie create an exclude list of things they can share, or have some dictionary of programs or something one could upload somewhere, there are just so many false alarms.

On 9/03/2018 7:13 p.m., Jaffar Sidek wrote:
Hi. Windows defender is efficient enough these days.  Avg has no accessible value, at least not to my knowledge.  Cheers!

On 9/3/2018 10:14 AM, Andrea Sherry wrote:
tried free version of AVG. Setup was difficult and I was not able to control anything the program did after installation.

Is there anything better I could try?

Andrea

.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes take the cheap route, just tirm he computer off and leave it off, very safe and costs nothing.. grin
I do feel we are losing our way. Most of the exploits are aimed at people not exploits.
Obviously they will need to patch holes, but expecting anti virus systems to protect from everything is really impossible in my view. The more they try to find everything the more they slow the computer down and trigger false positives, and of course since everyone except Microsoft seem to have designed their front ends inaccessibly, there is no hope for us.
That is my reading of the current situation. I'll let you know when my completely unprotected amd chipped xp machines get clobbered. Probably not for a long while unless I'm very unlucky.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

And slow and not very accessible either.
[...]

Really? Not the version I tried it was like driving a boat through treacle.
[...]

Defender is very like MSSE surely??

[...]

Turn the machine off?  When?  When you go to a web site with hacked advertising and your machine has already been infected with no indication of it to the user?  Or if you absentmindedly do something you shouldn't do?  I'm not infallible.  Once, I wasn't thinking about what I was doing and I followed a link that came in a message that looked as though it came from someone I knew.  I just wasn't thinking at the moment.  Avast wouldn't let me connect with the web site.  What would have happened if I wasn't running an antivirus program?  Who knows?  I don't recall ever doing something like that before or since.  But I just wasn't thinking one time in a lot of years of computer use.

You have to take actions to be infected in many cases, but there are cases, and their number is growing, where you don't.  You can greatly reduce the danger by using a JAVA script blocker or by turning scripts off except on sites where they are necessary.  But just saying turn the computer off only works in cases where malware wants you to click something like a yes or ok button or no button on a web page.  It doesn't matter what button you click.  Clicking any button will cause the malware to install.  So, in those cases, just shutting down the computer will stop you from being infected.  But if it were that easy not to become infected, these antimalware companies wouldn't exist.

Sent: Friday, March 09, 2018 4:05 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> You know this has popped up so much and I have decided that there just
> isn't anymore.
>
> Avast could have been a great program.
>
> Nod32 was accessible up to a point, it aint now, vipre maybe, panda
> antivirus maybe.
>
> Sophos.
>
> To be honest the fact so many lagit programs are being mistargeted,
> forcing users like me to have to basically leave vast parts of the os open
> to attack is a problem.
>
> Some users have gone so far to exclude their drives from scanning and that
> does in deed fix things.
>
> On my new system I am just going to have to exclude my backup drive from
> scanning because I just don't trust what windows defender will do.
>
> As for the rest, I will have to restructure my drive, and exclude all
> audio games, all portable apps, all apps, all user installed programs the
> only things I will leave with programs in it are windows and ms programs
> and my downloads folder and maybe make a folder for unprocessed files and
> exclude that.
>
> Basically to use my system securely I will have to exclude pritty much
> half my c drive in order to not run into problems.
>
> I may as well not use antivirus alltogether, but I have no choice, there
> are just to many false positives to handle.
>

> On 9/03/2018 3:14 p.m., Andrea Sherry wrote:
>> tried free version of AVG. Setup was difficult and I was not able to
>> control anything the program did after installation.
>>
>> Is there anything better I could try?
>>
>> Andrea

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

I said efficient, not good or perfect.  I do nnot want to debate about the good or bad of one anti-virus program above the other. I am just speaking from my personal observation which no one is forced to take on board.  I use Windows defender, my pc is protected against threats, that's good enough for me.

On 9/3/2018 3:42 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Casey <cwollner@...>

Hi where can you get this clamwin from?

And what does it take to set it all up?

On 3/8/2018 10:57 PM, Sam Taylor wrote:

[...]

Actually, I was being sarcastic about the only way to stop getting infected. A never used machine is very safe indeed.

[...]

Have you done a google search?
Dont expect too much from it.