NVDA randumly crashing?

Matt Turner

Hi folks, subject says it all.

I'm using windows 8.1, 64 bit, with 2018.1.

I never no when this will happen, but it sometimes seems to happen when I'm in file explorer.

The list of addons I have installed, are.

Installed Add-ons
Package Status Versi... Author
Clipspeak runni... 1.0 Damien Sykes-Lindley <damien@......
Announce Dropbox state... runni... 4.3 Patrick ZAJDA <patrick@...>, Filaos and other c...
NoBeepsSpeechMode runni... 2.3 Alberto Buffolino <a.buffolino@...>
OCR runni... 0.201... NV Access Limited & other contributors
Speak Passwords runni... 1.01 Tyler Spivey <tspivey@...>
sysTrayList - list sys tray ... runni... 2.2 Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@...>, Rui Batista ...
TeamTalk Classic Fixes runni... 0.98 Doug Lee with initial work by Tyler Spivey and others
Virtual Review runni... 2.2 Rui Batista <ruiandrebatista@...> and NVDA...

HTH.

Gene

Here are some points that may stimulate discussion and help you find the problem.

I doubt this is caused by an add on.  However, you can check by running NVDA with all add ons disabled.  I've almost never done this and I don't remember how but someone else should know. If no crashes occur, then you can start checking add ons.  If the crashing continues, then add ons are ruled out.

The log may tell you why the program is crashing.  I haven't done enough with the log to advise you further.  Also, I don't know if it makes sense to send the log or to try running without add ons first.

And finally, what synthesizer are you using.  It may be the synthesizer that is crashing or the synthesizer that is causing NVDA to crash.

Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 3:39 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA randumly crashing?

[...]

Don H

I am running NVDA on a Win 10 64 bit laptop and with the last two or three versions of NVDA including 2018-1 I get NVDA crashing randomly when I hit the windows key to open the start menu. I simply restart NVDA and everything seems fine again until the next random crash.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

What synth package are you using? It could be the synth package doing it like I remember the old viavoice synth package used to crash now and again.

Gene nz

On 3/11/2018 10:39 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account

My first thought would be to check if I had the newest versions of the add ons.
If that is ok and it still goes away)you don't say what crashing actually means here), then turn them off and see what happens, turning one on one by one and see if it crashes. obviously if it is crashing with none on then its n NVD A or some other clash. If you mean it stops speaking check the profiles for a rogue one that goes to sleep mode. Check with Espeak and see if that also crashes.
I'm obviously not going to suggest the synth add on be disabled but it has been implicated in funny happenings before.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

I do not see this in Windows 7, but the other person has windows 8.1.
I'd expect all sorts of issues with 10, due to its numerous builds over its lifetime thus far.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I am running NVDA on a Win 10 64 bit laptop and with the last two or three versions of NVDA including 2018-1 I get NVDA crashing randomly when I hit the windows key to open the start menu. I simply restart NVDA and everything seems fine again until the next random crash.

Matt Turner

Hi.

I mostly use e-speak.

As for the crashing, sometimes nvda will restart on its own, and other times I have to manually restart it.

On 3/11/2018 5:25 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I do not see this in Windows 7, but the other person has windows 8.1.
I'd expect all sorts of issues with 10, due to its numerous builds over its lifetime thus far.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-