espeak and pronunciation of some words

I'll try to describe this as best I can. Take the word "content". The stress in this word is wrong, or, very much off. This is the case with other words too. Nazarene should sound like Nazareen. I'm sure there are other words like this I, and others, could think of.

Any word with the letter "o" is likely to have the stress wrong. Monster is another example. This could just be me. Does anyone else hear what I'm hearing?

John Isige

He was content with the content of the book. Both "contents" sound fine to me in that sentence. Nazarene is indeed wrong, it should sound like Nazareen but sounds like Nazaren, except the 'ren' part is accented. That would be a useful trick if you could reproduce it, but it's wrong here. Also, 'reproduce' sounds a bit more like 'riproduce' then 'reeproduce'.

On 3/11/2018 0:54, Governor staten wrote:
I'll try to describe this as best I can. Take the word "content". The stress in this word is wrong, or, very much off. This is the case with other words too. Nazarene should sound like Nazareen. I'm sure there are other words like this I, and others, could think of.

Any word with the letter "o" is likely to have the stress wrong. Monster is another example. This could just be me. Does anyone else hear what I'm hearing?

Rob Hudson

Governor staten <govsta@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll try to describe this as best I can. Take the word "content". The
stress in this word is wrong, or, very much off. This is the case with
other words too. Nazarene should sound like Nazareen. I'm sure there are
other words like this I, and others, could think of.

What variant. There are a lot of espeak variants here.

John Isige

Mine was Variant Max. Also shows up for all Ivans, John, and at least one of the Klats/Clats, I don't feel like checking them all. Voice is English America.

On 3/11/2018 1:10, John Isige wrote:
He was content with the content of the book. Both "contents" sound fine to me in that sentence. Nazarene is indeed wrong, it should sound like Nazareen but sounds like Nazaren, except the 'ren' part is accented. That would be a useful trick if you could reproduce it, but it's wrong here. Also, 'reproduce' sounds a bit more like 'riproduce' then 'reeproduce'.

On 3/11/2018 0:54, Governor staten wrote:
I'll try to describe this as best I can. Take the word "content". The stress in this word is wrong, or, very much off. This is the case with other words too. Nazarene should sound like Nazareen. I'm sure there are other words like this I, and others, could think of.

Any word with the letter "o" is likely to have the stress wrong. Monster is another example. This could just be me. Does anyone else hear what I'm hearing?

I'm using whichever version of ESpeak NG is in the latest Next snapshot.

On 3/11/2018 3:10 AM, Rob Hudson wrote:
Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
I'll try to describe this as best I can. Take the word "content". The
stress in this word is wrong, or, very much off. This is the case with
other words too. Nazarene should sound like Nazareen. I'm sure there are
other words like this I, and others, could think of.

What variant. There are a lot of espeak variants here.

My voice is English America and variant is Max.

On 3/11/2018 3:15 AM, John Isige wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

They have fixed a lot but seem in the way of things to have creates new ones recently. Have you tried speech player in Espeak add on and seen if you select the same voice as you now are using if the same thing happens. It seems better to me. This in effect loads an older version of Espeak in to use as a comparison.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I'll try to describe this as best I can. Take the word "content". The stress in this word is wrong, or, very much off. This is the case with other words too. Nazarene should sound like Nazareen. I'm sure there are other words like this I, and others, could think of.

Any word with the letter "o" is likely to have the stress wrong. Monster is another example. This could just be me. Does anyone else hear what I'm hearing?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I do suspect here that the people now developing it have a different accent to the original developer. as a matter of interest, is the RP version any better?
OK its posher, but for me still is not quite right. Often has been wrong for ages according to how I speak!

[...]

Its not the variant, but the other variable where you can select us rp west mids etc that can make a significant difference.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I'll try to describe this as best I can. Take the word "content". The
stress in this word is wrong, or, very much off. This is the case with
other words too. Nazarene should sound like Nazareen. I'm sure there are
other words like this I, and others, could think of.

What variant. There are a lot of espeak variants here.

Gene

Is this a new problem?  Are other things improved?  If this is a new problem and there are no improvements, maybe those who are trying to improve the dialect or variant should be asked, politely, and with appreciation for their efforts, to just leave things alone unless they have a good cadre of native born speakers of a certain dialect to evaluate proposed changes.  Wasn't there a lot of dissatisfaction with changes made a few versions of NVDA ago when a newer version of E-Speak was used?  It sounds to me as though whoever is making changes is making things Genearlly worse, even if this or that improvement may improve something.

Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2018 2:18 AM

[...]

Dejan Ristic

Let me remind you of the word for, which, if followed by another word, seems to sound like fur.

For example: for the time being.

It is very interesting to here it pronounced quite correctly when it is a stand alone word, as is the case in the first line of my message.

On 11/03/2018 07:54, Governor staten wrote:
I'll try to describe this as best I can. Take the word "content". The stress in this word is wrong, or, very much off. This is the case with other words too. Nazarene should sound like Nazareen. I'm sure there are other words like this I, and others, could think of.

Any word with the letter "o" is likely to have the stress wrong. Monster is another example. This could just be me. Does anyone else hear what I'm hearing?

.

Adriani Botez

Dear all,

I think eSpeak has to be adjusted from scratch. It is very hard to get to a point where every word is being pronounced correctly. This is a matter of accent and phonemes which are very limited in eSpeak development.

If we begin to assess every word in eSpeak, we will find thousants and thousants of words which are mispronounced. Don't forget eSpeak supports more than 50 languages. So, developing this synthesizer word by word is not a long term solution.

So, in my view, if another speech synthesizer becomes free (i.e. eloquence or vocalizer), every user will change to it unless eSpeak is being vastly improved from scratch.

Best
Adriani

Let me remind you of the word for, which, if followed by another word, seems
to sound like fur.

For example: for the time being.

It is very interesting to here it pronounced quite correctly when it is
a stand alone word, as is the case in the first line of my message.

On 11/03/2018 07:54, Governor staten wrote:
I'll try to describe this as best I can. Take the word "content". The
stress in this word is wrong, or, very much off. This is the case with
other words too. Nazarene should sound like Nazareen. I'm sure there
are other words like this I, and others, could think of.

Any word with the letter "o" is likely to have the stress wrong.
Monster is another example. This could just be me. Does anyone else
hear what I'm hearing?

.

Rosemarie Chavarria

I've noticed that about e-speak too. The word "for" when with other words soundlike "fer".

Let me remind you of the word for, which, if followed by another word, seems to sound like fur.

For example: for the time being.

It is very interesting to here it pronounced quite correctly when it is
a stand alone word, as is the case in the first line of my message.

On 11/03/2018 07:54, Governor staten wrote:
I'll try to describe this as best I can. Take the word "content". The
stress in this word is wrong, or, very much off. This is the case with
other words too. Nazarene should sound like Nazareen. I'm sure there
are other words like this I, and others, could think of.

Any word with the letter "o" is likely to have the stress wrong.
Monster is another example. This could just be me. Does anyone else
hear what I'm hearing?

.

Devin Prater

I agree, eSpeak needs lots of work, still. But the worst part of Open Source is that we all talk about it, but nothing gets done, we all wish, but never act, and there is only one person working on eSpeak. I know, we can't all program. But, with Windows 10, there are the OneCore voices, created by Microsoft which we can use, so we are no longer limited to eSpeak.

On 3/11/18, 7:05 PM, "nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of Rosemarie Chavarria" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of knitqueen2007@gmail.com> wrote:

I've noticed that about e-speak too. The word "for" when with other words soundlike "fer".

Let me remind you of the word for, which, if followed by another word, seems to sound like fur.

For example: for the time being.

It is very interesting to here it pronounced quite correctly when it is
a stand alone word, as is the case in the first line of my message.

On 11/03/2018 07:54, Governor staten wrote:
> I'll try to describe this as best I can. Take the word "content". The
> stress in this word is wrong, or, very much off. This is the case with
> other words too. Nazarene should sound like Nazareen. I'm sure there
> are other words like this I, and others, could think of.
>

> Any word with the letter "o" is likely to have the stress wrong.
> Monster is another example. This could just be me. Does anyone else
> hear what I'm hearing?
>

> .

Rosemarie Chavarria

I've used the one-core voices and they're really great.

I agree, eSpeak needs lots of work, still. But the worst part of Open Source is that we all talk about it, but nothing gets done, we all wish, but never act, and there is only one person working on eSpeak. I know, we can't all program. But, with Windows 10, there are the OneCore voices, created by Microsoft which we can use, so we are no longer limited to eSpeak.

On 3/11/18, 7:05 PM, "nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of Rosemarie Chavarria" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of knitqueen2007@gmail.com> wrote:

I've noticed that about e-speak too. The word "for" when with other words soundlike "fer".

Let me remind you of the word for, which, if followed by another word, seems to sound like fur.

For example: for the time being.

It is very interesting to here it pronounced quite correctly when it is
a stand alone word, as is the case in the first line of my message.

On 11/03/2018 07:54, Governor staten wrote:
> I'll try to describe this as best I can. Take the word "content". The
> stress in this word is wrong, or, very much off. This is the case with
> other words too. Nazarene should sound like Nazareen. I'm sure there
> are other words like this I, and others, could think of.
>

> Any word with the letter "o" is likely to have the stress wrong.
> Monster is another example. This could just be me. Does anyone else
> hear what I'm hearing?
>

> .

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes I really think for the record often should have an audible T as well as for still being 'FOR'

Brian!
[...]

Actually the original Espeak did a fine job. Too much tweaking recently has broken things that were good compromises before.
I certainly cannot stand Eloquence, I'd rather listen to a voice based on George W Bush than that!
However, as I say synths are intensely personal things.
[...]

Ian Blackburn

Certainly has deteriorated in its pronunciation

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adriani Botez" <adriani.botez@gmail.com>

Let me remind you of the word for, which, if followed by another word, seems
to sound like fur.

For example: for the time being.

It is very interesting to here it pronounced quite correctly when it is
a stand alone word, as is the case in the first line of my message.

On 11/03/2018 07:54, Governor staten wrote:
I'll try to describe this as best I can. Take the word "content". The
stress in this word is wrong, or, very much off. This is the case with
other words too. Nazarene should sound like Nazareen. I'm sure there
are other words like this I, and others, could think of.

Any word with the letter "o" is likely to have the stress wrong.
Monster is another example. This could just be me. Does anyone else
hear what I'm hearing?

.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Not sure about that, I'm on their email list and there are several people on there doing pull requests and updates.

I think at the moment they are trying to tidy up the code so all of the changes can be seen easeir and possible make it easier to tweak later on.
its not bad, but I think wheras previously uk english was the main language, now people are attempting to make the us English work and some of the changes sound odd in uk english. The slurring that is normal for us is not pleasent in the uk

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I agree, eSpeak needs lots of work, still. But the worst part of Open Source is that we all talk about it, but nothing gets done, we all wish, but never act, and there is only one person working on eSpeak. I know, we can't all program. But, with Windows 10, there are the OneCore voices, created by Microsoft which we can use, so we are no longer limited to eSpeak.

On 3/11/18, 7:05 PM, "nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of Rosemarie Chavarria" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of knitqueen2007@gmail.com> wrote:

I've noticed that about e-speak too. The word "for" when with other words soundlike "fer".

Let me remind you of the word for, which, if followed by another word, seems to sound like fur.

For example: for the time being.

It is very interesting to here it pronounced quite correctly when it is
a stand alone word, as is the case in the first line of my message.

On 11/03/2018 07:54, Governor staten wrote:
> I'll try to describe this as best I can. Take the word "content". The
> stress in this word is wrong, or, very much off. This is the case
with
> other words too. Nazarene should sound like Nazareen. I'm sure there
> are other words like this I, and others, could think of.
>

> Any word with the letter "o" is likely to have the stress wrong.
> Monster is another example. This could just be me. Does anyone else
> hear what I'm hearing?
>

> .

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Those using 7 cannot do this.