commit 8793a65c7aa65949a9043aafc932627ff158c90a
Author: Michael Curran <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Thu 08 Mar 2018 09:41:04 +1000
Installer: re-register some common COM interfaces which commonly get broken by bad uninstallers.
Raw diff
commit d3a9795e75cdbe9241d11eecb9a98fbe774a17f7
Author: Michael Curran <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:06:37 +1000
COMRegistrationFixes tool: add a backslash to the systemDrive. Also deremove some unused functions.
Raw diff
commit 3a5abd72a307fbe02779111dfee3bc5f5371345d
Author: Michael Curran <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:07:19 +1000
Add the COM Registrations Fixing tool to NVDA's Tools menu.
Raw diff
commit e1d79784de5f0b77343992e61b1fb811a9dc826e
Author: Michael Curran <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 15:43:05 +1000
Add a warning dialog to the COM Registration Fixing tool when run manually from the Tools menu.
Raw diff
commit 7c2e945533f7386b4b3142281e23009997f5d801
Author: Michael Curran <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:44:10 +1000
Add copyright header
Raw diff
commit 877362bde2e108fae69c067cb26bdd797843caa8
Author: Michael Curran <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:48:11 +1000
Add a module docstring
Raw diff
commit e550d32924b55272e05254eada58c9bb04fd1ae7
Author: Michael Curran <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:55:53 +1000
Incubates #8075
Raw diff

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I should just add that as this patch runs at start up, it should be enough to fix it by merely running the snapshot. Otherwise you can run it from the menu if you have maybe uninstalled something while it was running, nvda that is.
I think I'll quit before I confuse myself!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I know a number of people here have had serious issues with browsers not reading word not working right with nvda and other associated problems.
For some time now this has been known to be due to registry issues due to uninstallers of other software not correctly registering important files. The latest next snapshot has a tool to fix this, rather predictably in its tool menu, so if you are having such issues, it may well be a good idea to try this version of nvda and use the tool.
it should do no harm, but do remember that next snaps are bleeding edge code and will need to be used with caution. Always back up your previous version and set a restore point before doing any work on registry files. Note the account that its used on has to have admin access or it won't work.

Here is what the entry says.

commit 8793a65c7aa65949a9043aafc932627ff158c90a
Author: Michael Curran <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Thu 08 Mar 2018 09:41:04 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:06:37 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:07:19 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 15:43:05 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:44:10 +1000
Add copyright header
Author: Michael Curran <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:48:11 +1000
Add a module docstring
Author: Michael Curran <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:55:53 +1000
Incubates #8075
Raw diff

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Just had a quick look is this a snapshot to fix the unknown and pane problems that some people have had in the past? if it is and it works it would be far easier than the other way which i have been posting from time to time.

Gene nz

Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Thu 08 Mar 2018 09:41:04 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:06:37 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:07:19 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 15:43:05 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:44:10 +1000
Add copyright header
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:48:11 +1000
Add a module docstring
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:55:53 +1000
Incubates #8075
Raw diff

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

ely.r@...

Question from a long time Window Eyes user. At present Windows can’t update to the latest version as it thinks there is an incompatible program installed on my computer. That program is Window Eyes. I have correctly uninstalled WE and have done multiple searches to try and find remnants. My best guess is that it is lurking still in my registry. I am not foolish enough to try editing my registry, and Leary of using any of the “registry cleaners.” Any chance that this addon would find such a lingering registry entry. When I read “other programs” I assume other access software. I am not having the issues described in this thread, but. . . .

Any advice out there?

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413()  727-3038

Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Thu 08 Mar 2018 09:41:04 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:06:37 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:07:19 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 15:43:05 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:44:10 +1000
Add copyright header
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:48:11 +1000
Add a module docstring
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:55:53 +1000
Incubates #8075
Raw diff

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Adriani Botez

This registry tool in NVDA only registers the required dlls for the accessibility API to comunicate properly with NVDA. You will not be able to edit your registry with it.

You can use CCleaner for that purpose.

Best

Adriani

Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Thu 08 Mar 2018 09:41:04 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:06:37 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:07:19 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 15:43:05 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:44:10 +1000
Add copyright header
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:48:11 +1000
Add a module docstring
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:55:53 +1000
Incubates #8075
Raw diff

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Rick,

Maybe the microsoft disability disability center might be able to help you.

Rosemarie

Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Thu 08 Mar 2018 09:41:04 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:06:37 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:07:19 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 15:43:05 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:44:10 +1000
Add copyright header
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:48:11 +1000
Add a module docstring
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:55:53 +1000
Incubates #8075
Raw diff

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Will yesterdays snapshot be able to fix what is in the ticket below.

I asked Brian but because he is say 12 hours behind us I might not know for a while.

NVDA stops reading webpages in all browser - saying "unknown" or "pane" (#2807)

The above is the ticket number.

If this is the case i know of a person who has contacted me with the what is described in the ticket. I am sure also she is using windows 10 but could get more info from her if needed.

I am hoping the next snapshot where the tool is under the tools menu might fix the problem or am i wrong?

She needs a way to register those files that are broken where it says unknown or pane.

Gene nz

Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Thu 08 Mar 2018 09:41:04 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:06:37 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:07:19 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 15:43:05 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:44:10 +1000
Add copyright header
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:48:11 +1000
Add a module docstring
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:55:53 +1000
Incubates #8075
Raw diff

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Well it depends on how long you have had the system active for how many installs of windows you have done on it.

For me on a workstation used for business and a few photo tasks as well as backup, its been active on a single install and upgrade from 7 since 2015.

The system has had layers removed layers added, etc.

So I am due to after getting it all backed up, and all the necessary things from it, just  do a complete reformat on the request of its user who will be away for a week freeing the system at the end of the month for me to reformat, reconfigure and hopefully test to see if anything else is broken.

Right now there are layers of software and such for just about everything and the module set thus used is a lot smaller.

Previously there were 20-30 programs in addition to all everything else

Now there are round 8-10 programs, and the system has been running for 3-4 years and is due for a full reformat.

As well as this there are unused hardware packages, incompatible drivers and the like.

Depending how long things have remained, and with the issues registry cleaners can become its contrivertial, and now we have access to the windows installers, I wouldn't think twice about a reformat.

Ofcause I do have backups both on drives internal and external, cloud, software,  etc.

You may not.

Author: Michael Curran <mailto:mick@nvaccess.org> <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Thu 08 Mar 2018 09:41:04 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mailto:mick@nvaccess.org> <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:06:37 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mailto:mick@nvaccess.org> <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:07:19 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mailto:mick@nvaccess.org> <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 15:43:05 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mailto:mick@nvaccess.org> <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:44:10 +1000
Add copyright header
Author: Michael Curran <mailto:mick@nvaccess.org> <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:48:11 +1000
Add a module docstring
Author: Michael Curran <mailto:mick@nvaccess.org> <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:55:53 +1000
Incubates #8075
Raw diff

Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> , putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

what is this nvda reregistration tool?

That may actually be usefull for me to have.

Author: Michael Curran <mailto:mick@nvaccess.org> <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Thu 08 Mar 2018 09:41:04 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mailto:mick@nvaccess.org> <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:06:37 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mailto:mick@nvaccess.org> <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:07:19 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mailto:mick@nvaccess.org> <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 15:43:05 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mailto:mick@nvaccess.org> <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:44:10 +1000
Add copyright header
Author: Michael Curran <mailto:mick@nvaccess.org> <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:48:11 +1000
Add a module docstring
Author: Michael Curran <mailto:mick@nvaccess.org> <mick@nvaccess.org>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:55:53 +1000
Incubates #8075
Raw diff

Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> , putting 'Brian Gaff'

How are you trying to update?  Do you have a newer version already on your computer?

While Window-eyes will be useful for a good while, since there is no more Window-eyes, is it worth updating?  Is there anything you want in the final version?  In other words, is the problem worth solving since at some point, you'll have to switch screen-readers and if there isn't anything you want in the last version, there will be no more versions?

Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Thu 08 Mar 2018 09:41:04 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:06:37 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:07:19 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 15:43:05 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:44:10 +1000
Add copyright header
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:48:11 +1000
Add a module docstring
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:55:53 +1000
Incubates #8075
Raw diff

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

After thinking about and rereading part of your message further, I understand that you are talking about upgrading NVDA.  Are you saying that Window-eyes is specifically identified by Windows or the NVDA installer as being incompatible?  There have been discussions over the last two days about some people not being able to upgrade.  If you are specifically being told that Window-eyes is incompatible, this may be a different problem.  Instead of fooling around in the registry, there is a way to completely uninstall everything Window-eyes places on the machine, at least that's how the tool was described.  I didn't use Windows to any extent but I remember a way to do it.  I don't know if you need to reinstall Window-eyes to use the total uninstallation tool or if you can use the tool separately.  Others may know.  And others may know if the tool actually uninstalls everything, including registry entries and all files.

Also, your message would have been clear if you had specified what you can't update.  You said:
Windows can’t update to the latest version as it thinks there is an incompatible program installed on my computer. That program is Window Eyes.

While it is likely you are saying you can't update NVDA, since so many people write about other problems on list, it could be that you were trying to update to the final version of Window-eyes for some reason.  I realize this is unlikely, but just in general, you should specify what you are discussing.

Such as:
I am unable to update to the latest version of NVDA because, etc.

Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Thu 08 Mar 2018 09:41:04 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:06:37 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:07:19 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 15:43:05 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:44:10 +1000
Add copyright header
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:48:11 +1000
Add a module docstring
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:55:53 +1000
Incubates #8075
Raw diff

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Adriani Botez

Yes Gene this should solve it.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Thu 08 Mar 2018 09:41:04 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:06:37 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:07:19 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 15:43:05 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:44:10 +1000
Add copyright header
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:48:11 +1000
Add a module docstring
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:55:53 +1000
Incubates #8075
Raw diff

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Adriani

Hopefully the snapshot fixes her problem. I am guessing hopefully she will let me ring her hopefully to a home number and guide her through the steps to get the snap shot etc and where to go in the menu etc.

Do you know if there is any more they need to do for that side of it or is it ready to go?.

Guess i will know when i get more feed back after she trys it out.

Gene nz

Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Thu 08 Mar 2018 09:41:04 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:06:37 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:07:19 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 15:43:05 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:44:10 +1000
Add copyright header
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:48:11 +1000
Add a module docstring
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:55:53 +1000
Incubates #8075
Raw diff

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Adriani Botez

Gene,

the feature is not in next yet, but it will be soon I guess. There are still some things to do.

Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Thu 08 Mar 2018 09:41:04 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:06:37 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:07:19 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 15:43:05 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:44:10 +1000
Add copyright header
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:48:11 +1000
Add a module docstring
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:55:53 +1000
Incubates #8075
Raw diff

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

The feature is in the latest next snapshot.

Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Thu 08 Mar 2018 09:41:04 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:06:37 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:07:19 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 15:43:05 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:44:10 +1000
Add copyright header
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:48:11 +1000
Add a module docstring
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 17:55:53 +1000
Incubates #8075
Raw diff

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

it must not be finished yet I tried the one from Thursday or the lady did and it was fully installed when done when she run the coms fixing menu.

But am wondering if she had to reboot the computer afterwards..

We also tried what was mentioned from the following ticket https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/2807#issuecomment-320149243

Also installed the reg patch I think i had to install both of them but that part did not work.

There was some code near the top but sounded like i had to enter that as well it is before the windows  7 or 8 stuff then went down to the windows 10 version and after typing in it for both 32 and 64 bit machines it worked.

I just can not remember if it worked after the reboot or before the reboot of windows.

I am guessing also the part i have under trouble shooting on my nvda audio tutorials page usually it works but this time it did not. I am wondering if she had to reboot after it was done i think she just put the pc to sleep instead of rebooting. but if it does need rebooting after that stuff has been done maybe it should be mentioned with or a message with the tool when it is ready.

Her problem is gone now so all of it is reading correctly now and she is a happy chappy.

also setup a portable version on her hard drive with a shortcut  just in case it is needed. she is also doing a restore point just in case.

Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Thu 08 Mar 2018 09:41:04 +1000
Author: Michael Curran <mick@...>
Date: Mon 12 Mar 2018 12:06:37 +1000