Sent: Friday, May 06, 2016 3:14 PM
Subject: [nvda] Query colour of current text in web browser?

Like subject says, am wondering if there's any way to query colour
pattern of current text in web browser? Ask partly since even if turn on
colour change reporting, it doesn't seem to apply in web pages?

TIA

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, acceptance is versatile"

Gene,

            I've just tried this on this multiple webpages and all NVDA keeps announcing is, "No Formatting Information."

            When in MS-Word, if I direct the NVDA navigator object to the mouse position and do NVDA+F afterward it does give me the formatting details. It's never doing that in any webpage.  What am I doing wrong?

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Gene

I don't know why you get that response.  I tried it before I sent my message.  What browser are you using?  I don't see why that would matter but I'm asking anyway.  Where were you on the web page when you issued the command?  Again, if you are somewhere on the page, and not in something like the address bar, I would expect the command to work.

Sent: Friday, May 06, 2016 3:36 PM

Gene,

            I've just tried this on this multiple webpages and all NVDA keeps announcing is, "No Formatting Information."

            When in MS-Word, if I direct the NVDA navigator object to the mouse position and do NVDA+F afterward it does give me the formatting details. It's never doing that in any webpage.  What am I doing wrong?

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Gene,

           I thought I had tried this in both Firefox and Chrome, but now that I've made sure I've done both this appears to be some sort of issue with how NVDA and Chrome play together.  I am getting the expected result in Firefox.  I am always in an area with text visible where I can see the mouse pointer over it before I route NVDA to the location of the mouse pointer in either case.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Jacob Kruger

I know, in word, for example, it will include colour info in formatting string, but, doesn't seem to happen in internet explorer - just tested, and it does in firefox, but, I, unfortunately, at times use both for testing things.

Either way, now that just tried it out in both, seems like it's an issue with IE, so, will bear that in mind before checking on any dynamic style changes, etc.

Thanks

On 2016-05-06 10:19 PM, Gene wrote:
NVDA key f reports attributes at the location of the cursor.
gene
Like subject says, am wondering if there's any way to query colour
pattern of current text in web browser? Ask partly since even if turn on
colour change reporting, it doesn't seem to apply in web pages?

TIA

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, acceptance is versatile"

Gene

I haven't tested enough to say anything definite.  but on the one page I tested with Firefox, I saw formatting information.  On the page I tested with Chrome, I didn't.  Is this one more instance of Chrome not implementing accessibility as it should?

Sent: Friday, May 06, 2016 3:36 PM

Gene,

            I've just tried this on this multiple webpages and all NVDA keeps announcing is, "No Formatting Information."

            When in MS-Word, if I direct the NVDA navigator object to the mouse position and do NVDA+F afterward it does give me the formatting details. It's never doing that in any webpage.  What am I doing wrong?

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Gene

The next question is whether other screen-readers see formatting information in Chrome.  This may be a failing in Chrome and have nothing to do with the screen-reader.  I may check that later.

Sent: Friday, May 06, 2016 3:49 PM

Gene,

           I thought I had tried this in both Firefox and Chrome, but now that I've made sure I've done both this appears to be some sort of issue with how NVDA and Chrome play together.  I am getting the expected result in Firefox.  I am always in an area with text visible where I can see the mouse pointer over it before I route NVDA to the location of the mouse pointer in either case.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Jacob Kruger

Brian, are you using object navigation, document review, or screen review?

In object navigation/review, it also reports no formatting to me, but, with either document review - think that's the default for web pages - or screen review, it does - just not colour information in IE.

Stay well

On 2016-05-06 10:36 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Gene,

I've just tried this on this multiple webpages and all NVDA
keeps announcing is, "No Formatting Information."

When in MS-Word, if I direct the NVDA navigator object to
the mouse position and do NVDA+F afterward it does give me the
formatting details. It's never doing that in any webpage. What am I
doing wrong?

*/Brian/*
--

*Never underestimate the difficulty of changing false beliefs by facts. *
**/ ~ Henry Rosovsky/

Kevin Huber

Hi:
I have tried the insert-f hotkey in all three web browsers and have
also found that it works in all but Google Chrome.
Kevin Huber