Topics

Cannot read PDF documents with NVDA

afrim maja <afrim.maja@...>

Hello everyone,
I have seriously started using NVDA, and this time is more serious than other times, because I have upgraded to windows 10, and it works very well, and I do mean very very well. One of my biggest issues I'm currently facing is reading pdf documents with NVDA. On the adobe reader, or adobe acrobat reader, NVDA reads absolutely nothing. I have to work everyday with those types of documents because my university professors provide me with lectures or books in pdf format, but I cannot access them.
So, could somebody help me with this problem because it is very important to me. Every answer is appreciated.
sincerely,
Afrim

Sent from my iPhone

Well firstly we need to know if the files are proper text and not as some instruction manuals seem to be, some form of image of pages of a printed source.

Obviously in that case somebody needs to fix the format. Normally you can test this by exporting the text and seeing if there is any.
assuming there is then several things come to mind. I do not know about Windows 10, but sometimes one has to look in the config area of adobe reader and turn off any protection items or security etc, to be able to read them.

Obviously also we have got to be sure that if these are complex documents with changes in columns and graphics etc, that the get tagged when created. This is a process few seem to do and even less understand. I know I don't understand how its done, but if its not done and reading order changes in a document, then it tends to go into gobbledegook. I really would advise if you can to suggest the texts are sent to you in a known doc format so that they can be manipulated easier.
I had a very odd problem the other day while working on the UK elections pdf, where the first page was fine, but all subsequent pages were just jumbled up, as if the tagging had failed after the first page.

I know Nvaccess has put a lot of effort into getting pdf files to work well but sadly those making such files need to play their part or its a total waste of time.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Afrim,

          I followed the instructions I posted before that had come from Freedom Scientific Technical Support, but with Adobe DC, and it does cause NVDA to read through the document without having to scroll from page to page.  There was no OK button at the last step of the things you have to do in Reader DC itself beyond the Accessibility Wizard, you just close the dialog after dealing with the Security (Advanced) setting related to protected mode. The first time I fired up Adobe Acrobat DC with NVDA active it gave me a dialog where I also confirmed that I wanted it to read all pages and infer reading order from document, and to use the accessibility options I'd set in Reader DC itself, then checked the box that said not to show that dialog again.

          It takes quite a while to pre-process the text you're using because it's 305 pages long, but it does get there, and NVDA reads the whole document from wherever you start the reading.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Carlos

Hello:

    I have Windows 8.1 and NVDA 2016.1.

    I was able to open the PDF file with Adobe reader 11, QRead 3.5, and MS Word 2016/365.  And, as an added bonus I converted it to MS Word file in MS Word.  And to plain text in Adobe reader.

    So, I guess it is a computer specific issue!

--
Carlos Gonzalez - Los Angeles, CA. - gmjc341961@...

Bhavya shah

Afrim,
As a personal advice, in case that is a possible alternative, I never
like PDF files much anyways, with both NVDA and JAWS. Thus, I am
converting all my school textbook PDF files into Word, using what is
called the Oxillion Document Converter, which you will readily find
via a quick google search.
Do try and persist to be able to access the material in its original
format itself, that is PDF, if you wish to, but as the last resort,
bear in mind that a Word conversion trick would probably suffice.
Thanks.

On 5/8/16, Carlos <gmjc341961@...> wrote:
[...]

*/Brian/*
--

*Never underestimate the difficulty of changing false beliefs by facts. *
**/ ~ Henry Rosovsky/

--
Carlos Gonzalez - Los Angeles, CA. - gmjc341961@...

--
Warm Regards
Bhavya Shah
reader for Microsoft Windows
http://www.nvaccess.org/
Reach me through the following means:
Mobile: +91 7506221750
E-mail id: bhavya.shah125@...
Skype id : bhavya.09

afrim maja <afrim.maja@...>

Ok Brian, I'll do what you said right away.
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

On May 8, 2016, at 3:58 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

[...]

It is hopefully solved now

Sent from my iPhone

On May 8, 2016, at 5:32 AM, Carlos <gmjc341961@...> wrote:

[...]

I always convert my pdf books to microsoft word using aby fine reader which I also use to scan documents. I'll try that program out by the way.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 8, 2016, at 6:36 AM, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...> wrote:

Oxillion Document

Hi I thought the latest version of fine reader had a text screen which did not work with nvda any more?
Has this been fixed? Its reasonably priced, though its used in Dolphin's Cicero, and when it encounters the lower case l in printing it can be seen as i or 1 or l.
I am a bit fed up with Della being Delia and New malden being New Maiden.