Topics

embedded object in Firefox

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi,

I found a problem in Firefox when attempting to listen to a sample of an
audio book in the BorrowBox library system. I don't know if this is an NVDA
problem or exclusively a Firefox Flash Player issue. or if Bolinda need to
do something with their Java script. I should mention that the sighted user
has no problem playing the audio sample using a mouse.

I am using Windows 10,, NVDA 2016.1 and Firefox46.1 on a desktop PC.

If List members would like to see the problem for themselves I recommend the
following url:
https://fe.bolindadigital.com/wldcs_bol_fo/b2i/productOverview.html?b2bSite=
4834&browseItemId=366096&fromPage=1
It is not necessary to sign in to sample the reading of a title.

Here is a typical audio book display:

--Start of clip -----------------------
link graphic Railway Viaduct
embedded object unavailable (this should say "Preview" but doesn't!)
Link Reserve
On Loan, Available on 22/05/16
Link Railway Viaduct
Link Edward Marston
Read by Sam Dastor
Crime & Thriller, Historical Fiction
eAudiobook - Unabridged
---end of clip ------------------

The player for the audio sample is activated by an "embedded object" that is
flagged by NVDA as "not being available". The BorrowBox help page advises
that Adobe flash must be active to enable audio sampling of each title. I
have Adobe flash installed and active. For example, I can play any song in
YouTube in Firefox without any problem.

After many weeks of failing to play the preview, I found the following
workaround using NVDA:

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
press "g" to find a book title. If the next object after pressing
down-arrow once is "embedded Object" then you have an audio book and we can
start.

Here is the full sequence of steps:
1. Press G for the graphic of the book title;
2. Press down-arrow once to the embedded object. You should hear "Embedded
Object not available";
3. Press NVDA + numpad Enter to activate the embedded object. You should
hear "Embedded Object Unavailable Activate";
4. Press right arrow once. You should hear ""Space";
5. Press the space bar to start and stop the sample audio of the narrator
speaking.

If pressing the space bar does not act as a toggle and the enter key does
not do the job either:
6. Press right arrow once;
7. Press space bar or main keyboard enter to play and stop playing the audio
sample.

Can anyone advise what to do about this?
A. Is it an NVDA problem?
B. Is it a Firefox problem?
c. Is it a BorrowBox problem for the developer Bolinda to see to?

All the best,

Cearbhall

If the link is correct, it may be restricted to certain countries.  I can not go to a page by following the link.

Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2016 9:06 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] embedded object in Firefox

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

Gene,

I see that the link spreads over two lines and is broken. Could you remove the carriage return that is breaking the link and try again?

Alternatively, you might like to try this link which does still work for me:

http://library.bolindadigital.com/southdublinBorrowBox

It is a link to the original test site and you might be able to bring it up. Ignore the sign in links as you cannot sign in but you can preview the books without being signed in.

Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2016 9:06 AM

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

I checked the link for any irregularities before I sent my message to the list.  The link was correct wwhen I pasted it into my browser.  We'll see what others say.

Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2016 9:06 AM

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

I am puzzled! I don’t know what you are saying. Would you like to explain?

Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2016 9:06 AM

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

I see that you feel that the link might be limited to regional properties. You may well be right. So, let me explain that the purpose of the site reference was to enable members of the list to try out the problem on a BorrowBox site that  they can access. I am grateful to you for pointing out the regional limitations which I had not thought of.

I can see that there are many library sites that use BorrowBox in the USA. I know there are others in Australia. So, I wonder if members Google the words “BorrowBox library” from their own locations would they find a site that they can access?

Any library that comes up will do for the purposes of demonstration.

I am particularly concerned that we hear from list users who have experience of the difficulty with embedded objects in Firefox so that I can find a solution to my problem with hearing the sample audio on this web site.

Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2016 9:06 AM

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

I'm not sure  what you don't understand.  I'm saying that the link is correct as I followed it.  I pasted the link into my browser's address bar and I then looked at it with the arrow keys.  When I followed it, nothing happened.  I didn't get a page not found message and a page didn't load.  I'm not sure what is causing the problem.  I was speculating that the page might not be available to people living in certain parts of the world.  Some sites are restricted so that they can be seen in a certain part of the world but not in others.  Many radio station sites I listen to are restricted and their streams can only be listened to in The United States.  If you don't live in The United States, you have to fool the site into believing you are located in The united States.  I don't know enough about that to discuss it much.  Evidently, no one else has tried to work with the page and there have been no other comments.  We don't know if others will be able to work with the page.

Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2016 9:06 AM

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

It appears to me that Borrow Box is not used in the way you are using it in the United States.  I did a search for borrow box and found nothing in the roughly eight results I looked at that is in The United States.  I found something about Borrow Box and Apple or ITunes, I'm not sure, but I doubt that is what you have in mind.  I didn't go to the site to check.  people may investigate the sites they find or try the link you gave.  But it may not be able to be investigated from The united States.

Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2016 9:06 AM

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

It looks as if the BorrowBox service is limited to the British Commonwealth. Since your own efforts have shown that you cannot access the site that I have given, I must assume that it is not set up in any library in the United States yet.

I am anxious that we don’t lose sight of the real query that I have raised which is the accessibility of embedded objects in Firefox with the NVDA screen reader. I have illustrated the situation in my email. It would be useful if I could provide a live example of the problem for members of the list but since the web links don’t seem to be yielding the example that I have raised, I hope my details will explain it enough for list members to respond.

Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2016 9:06 AM

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

Your question can be answered for specific sites but there is no general answer.  Someone may or may not be able to use the site and explain how.  The site may or may not be useable with other screen-readers.  Some Flash players are accessible and some are not.  Some can be made to work, though not properly accessible.

Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2016 9:06 AM

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

George <slr1bpz@...>

Hello Cearbhall,

I'm in the U.S. I'm running the same version of firefox as you but I am running Windows 7 home premium with all updates and NVDA 2016.1.

The link you sent worked for me when I eliminated the linefeed character after the equals sign.
I played several samples. Here's how I did it.
1. Arrow to the unavailable embedded object.
2. Route the mouse to the embedded object with nvda plus numPad slash.
3. Left click by pressing numPad slash.
I tried three samples and they all played for me using this method.

Give this method a go and let us know if it works on your system.

Good luck,
George

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

George,

Yes, thanks, this does the job.

Glad you were able to access the url. Others said they could not, even
though I asked them to remove the carriage return as you did.

Strange!

Anyway, I value your response.

All the best,

Cearbhall

-----
version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

I don't know why George could reach it.  I couldn't and I didn't include the return.  But the method he described or some variation is worth trying on any embedded objects where the most straightforward method won't work.  I've used such methods on many embedded objects.

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

I should also add that at times, if I do try the standard method and it doesn't work, I have to completely start over when trying other methods.  In other words, I have to leave the embedded object and then move to it again and try another method.  the standard method works on certain Flash Players but I have found variations such as are being discussed to work in more.  So you may want to try the variations often first.  You may save time.

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

I’m sure that the method used to remove the linefeed character doesn’t matter but here’s how I did it.
I copied the entire link to the clipboard.
I opened a new notepad plusplus document and pasted the link into it.
Next, I deleted the linefeed character and copied the link to the clipboard.
Finally, I opened firefox, pressed ctrl plus l, pasted the link into the URL edit box and pressed enter.
The link worked at that point.

George

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

I don't recall if I copied and pasted that character in the first place.  You can avoid unnecessary steps by copying the link the the clipboard,
Opening the browser you want to use, pasting the link in, then simply moving to the end of the link by pressing end.  If there is an incorrect character at the end, simply back space.  You can move around and edit in the address bar as in any other edit field.

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

I did that,but I pasted it straight into the edit box then cursored along and removed it there, but that seemed not to work.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

Copying the link from Cearbhall's email directly into firefox didn't work for me either because it ended at the embedded linefeed cutting off the last part of the link.

George

[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

Pete <emac00@...>

I disabled adobe flash player for this vary reason,
I get warnings about flash player being disabled but the audio still plays,
not sure what is actually playing the audio,
using fire fox 46.0 win 7 64 pro nvda latest.
Pete

On 5/7/2016 10:06 AM, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:
[...]

From the top of the web page select eAudio if not already selected. Then
[...]

Disabling the Flash player may or may not solve the problem.  If HTML5 is available from the site, the HTML5 code is usually accessible and will likely allow you to play the audio if the Flash player being used is inaccessible.  But just disabling Flash may keep you from listening to audio you want to hear.  It depends on whether the site in question supports HTML5 at this time.  Many sites do and many don't.  I expect there is a way to make HTML the default choice which would allow the site to give you Flash content if necessary.  If this option is available, it would be a browser setting or would be made available in a plugin.  I don't know enough to comment further.  And it should be pointed out that I've tested with two XP machines and HTML audio doesn't play properly even though it's supposed to.  It appears that HTML5 isn't properly compatible with XP, at least not at this time and it might never be.  I have tested with both Chrome and Firefox with bad results.