From: Matt Turner
Sent: 14 March 2018 12:13
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Firefox seems slower?

Hi folks.

Does anyone find that firefox is really slow?

I'm using nvda 2018.1.

As for firefox, I've tried all of the beta/ nightly channels, but

chrome, seems to run alot faster.

Is it just the computer, or just me.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Even 52 now loads slower than it did at least the first time its run.
I'm not sure what is the cause for this. Is it the patch to windows for that 10 year old bug, or something Firefox has added to all older and new versions??

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Does anyone find that firefox is really slow?

I'm using nvda 2018.1.

As for firefox, I've tried all of the beta/ nightly channels, but chrome, seems to run alot faster.

Is it just the computer, or just me.

its because javascript is activate by default.
i have this problem in any version of firefox and any version of nvda
that i tested until now!
i did not work with chrome, but activating javascript and refresh and
redirect of pages, also dynamic pages, make me very confused and sad.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The problem is that if you disable scripts running on pages, though many work some end up as a bit of a muddled mess.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Does anyone find that firefox is really slow?

I'm using nvda 2018.1.

As for firefox, I've tried all of the beta/ nightly channels, but chrome,

seems to run alot faster.

Is it just the computer, or just me.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Gene

There are many pages where you have to use JAVA scripts to do things such as submit forms, play audio, and do other things.  But a lot of pages where you are just reading don't require JAVA scripts, and I have not seen any degredation of layout on pages if JAVA script support is disabled.  Indeed, it often improves the layout because a lot of advertisements aren't shown when JAVA scripts are disabled.

Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 11:29 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> its because javascript is activate by default.
> i have this problem in any version of firefox and any version of nvda
> that i tested until now!
> i did not work with chrome, but activating javascript and refresh and
> redirect of pages, also dynamic pages, make me very confused and sad.
>
> On 3/14/18, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
> <bglists@...> wrote:
>> Even 52 now loads slower than it did at least the first time its run.
>>  I'm not sure what is the cause for this. Is it the patch to windows for
>> that 10 year old bug, or something Firefox has added to all older and new
>> versions??
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal E-mail to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.

gene,
i did not have this problem in quora previously.
did you work with it until now?
i cant sign in my account or answer any question when javascript is disabled.
also, it has not edit box for writing answer to be found by e key.
when javascript is enabled, when i press enter on answer link, the
form writing answer is activated automaticly..
what can i do to prevent this problem?

[...]

There are sites where you have to use JAVA scripts, as I said.  That's how you deal with the problem.  You will have to enable JAVA scripts before loading the page.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Hi.  Someone did bring up the value of migrating to the Waterfox web browser sometime ago.  Well, I took Waterfox for a spin and I am converted.  I'm not sure if Waterfox uses the mozilla engine, but it seems to be faster and smoother and less cluttered than Firefox.  I tried it with both Jaws and NVDA, and NVDA came up tops.  You can't go far wrong if you at least give Waterfox a try.  Google for it.  If you are willing to get off your comfort zone and work with something different, you'll reap the nenifits immediately.  Anyway, there is not much of a difference in Waterfox's and Firefox's interface, so the learning curve isn't steep.  Cheers!

On 14/3/2018 8:12 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
Hi folks.

Does anyone find that firefox is really slow?

I'm using nvda 2018.1.

As for firefox, I've tried all of the beta/ nightly channels, but chrome, seems to run alot faster.

Is it just the computer, or just me.

yes, waterfox is based on firefox, but only supports 64 bit windows!

On 3/15/18, Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I would warn those with XP and Vista though, the last time I looked it would not work on those operating systems.
Similar issues exist on Vivaldi but it also has issues with old amd processors. When Firefox 52 is no longer supported will have to look around for a replacement.
At the moment the slow down is tolerable on my four core system.
[...]

i wish that i can use firefox 22 forever!
javascript and image display can be disabled options easily, frames
can be disabled in about:config without extension and media files dont
play automaticly!
i never update my firefox, even i force to use other windows one day!

[...]

Mary Otten

Waterfox sounds interesting. Is there an easy way to get firefox bookmarks imported?

Mary

On 3/14/2018 9:30 PM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:
[...]

It is very easy to import bookmarks from Firefox into Waterfox. Install it, and it gives you options from which to import from.

On 3/15/2018 11:49 AM, Mary Otten wrote:
[...]

how about cyberfox?
is it accessible now?

On 3/15/18, Governor staten <govsta@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Well it uses the old firefox interface, in june this year firefox will shut down all its addons and other things so it can push everyone to use the web extention restricted framework.

Waterfox aparently doesn't do this, it doesn't have all the tracking and junk, of importance to users, it is not loaded with any mozilla system addons just language packs.

Its based on mozilla code and will move to its own codebase.

Depending on its accessibility after june etc and the porting of things depends what I do after that.

On 15/03/2018 5:30 p.m., Jaffar Sidek wrote:
[...]

.

Which is fine for most newer systems you can't buy 32 bit systems at all and everything will go 64 bit eventually 32 bit emulation is still supported.

On 15/03/2018 6:09 p.m., zahra wrote:
[...]

but i prefer to use 32bit version of windows and 32bit versions of
software forever.
i did not see any advantage in 64bit for myself personally.

[...]

Casey <cwollner@...>

Hi what is the best site to get this waterfox from and does it act just like firefox?

Like do you use the same command to open the address bar for entering A web site address?

On 3/16/2018 4:59 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

You can do a google search for waterfox. I'm thinking of trying it myself.