Help: NVDA does not recognize objects anymore

Michel Such

Hi all,

I encounter a very strange problem on a machine where all used to work fine.

It runs Windows 10 latest update and NVDA 2018.1.

In Mozilla apps, (thunderbird, Firefox) any object is announced as "unknown".

More generally, in any app, conext menus are nomore spoken.

I triend to uninstall and reinstall NVDA, even deleting the NVDA configuration directory, but it definitely does not work.

Has anyone encountered this and know how to fix it ?

you provided all necessary informations about your operating system
and screen reader except the version of your firefox!

--
Michel Such <mailto:michel.such@free.fr>
Michel, son chat et son ordi

Michel Such

Yes,

My Firefox is 59.0 and my thunderbird is 52.60.

This is my wife's computer, so I don't use it every day.

It worked fine some days ago, the only thing that happend recently was the Windows cumulative update 2 days ago.

So I don't understand the problem, except if something particular uccurred during the windows update.

On 3/15/18, Michel Such <michel.such@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I encounter a very strange problem on a machine where all used to work
fine.

It runs Windows 10 latest update and NVDA 2018.1.

In Mozilla apps, (thunderbird, Firefox) any object is announced as
"unknown".

More generally, in any app, conext menus are nomore spoken.

I triend to uninstall and reinstall NVDA, even deleting the NVDA
configuration directory, but it definitely does not work.

Has anyone encountered this and know how to fix it ?

--
Michel Such <mailto:michel.such@...>
Michel, son chat et son ordi

did you uninstall office programs previously?
one time, i uninstalled openoffice and faced this problem!
i remember that reinstallation of nvda resolved my issue.
not sure, i uninstall my firefox and reinstall again or not.

[...]

The machine runs LibreOffice for very long with no apparent problem, but I can try to unistall it to see what happens.

MSOffice was installed when we got the machine, but has been removed for long.

Le 15/03/2018 à 16:50, zahra a écrit :
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Here we go again. If you can, get hold of the latest next snap and run it as a portable. See if things work in that after a system restart. There is also a tool in there for fixing these sort of things, but as you say it may well need sight to invoke it to start with. Preferably do not install this version use it portably, but turn uac down.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I encounter a very strange problem on a machine where all used to work fine.

It runs Windows 10 latest update and NVDA 2018.1.

In Mozilla apps, (thunderbird, Firefox) any object is announced as
"unknown".

More generally, in any app, conext menus are nomore spoken.

I triend to uninstall and reinstall NVDA, even deleting the NVDA
configuration directory, but it definitely does not work.

Has anyone encountered this and know how to fix it ?

--
Michel Such <mailto:michel.such@free.fr>
Michel, son chat et son ordi

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes, if this was windows 7 or 10, I have a feeling something got deregistered, I also got a lock up on wordpad till I ran that tool in windows 7 yesterday.

Bit of a bummer if Microsoft have broken file registration with an update though.
Maybe its only on some machines and certain software.

That is the trouble with updates in that in xp you got to see what they were, not you need to go and find out what they are if there are problems.
[...]

you dont need to uninstall libreoffice, because it does not cause
problem for using other programs!
and has not confliction with your other installed programs!

[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

hi

the following might help. There is a next snap shot that is meant to fix it but not sure if it is totally finished for the tool.

the snap shot was created last night and can be found at https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/

You can jump down by headings to where the next snap shots are and there is a download link.

But if it is the same bug i have seen you will not be able to use your browser to get it. may be a sighted friend can grab it for you?

I am just downloading it now and will also drop box it for you if you can not get it that way. It can be gotten from https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4nazm0q8te5ivg/nvda_snapshot_next-14952%2Cdd1cbe50.exe?dl=0

If you do the following in the email to get it you should get it down. Locate  the second link which is the drop box link with the letter k for link in the email. Then  you will need to use the applications key on the link then arrow down to save link i think it is then press the enter key. It will ask you to save it some where save it some where easy to find like the desk top.

If you can not use nvda you might have to use narrator to locate the link and do the same.

When the file is on the desk top or where ever you put it locate the next snapshot file then press the enter key on it. It should start up with the musical sound. there will be the documentation screen tab to the check box and agree to it. It should not have to be installed. Tab again then use the nvda key + letter N to get into the nvda preferences then arrow down to tools a sub menu will come off it then locate the comms fixing tool I forget what it is called. You will know it when you come across it. Press the enter key on it it will then come up with a message likeit had to do some thing to the registery i can not remember the wording tab to the yes button then press the enter key on it.

Sorry i can not help you after that. I am thinking it should fix the problems you might have to do a reboot but not sure as i have not used the tool which is actually a snap shot.

I will also put in the other way from off my website below.

It has to be followed to a T

Troubleshooting - NVDA says “unknown” or “pane” in all of your browsers, Mozilla Thunderbird email client and other places
If for some reason you have problems with NVDA saying “unknown” or “pane” check for the following symptoms:

In all of your browsers, or the Mozilla Thunderbird email client, no matter what you do, you still hear “unknown” or “pane”.

In the browser, email client and other menus you notice you cannot get into your menus, or you are unable to use the quick navigation keys

When you have been told the page is loaded and notice strange behaviour

Mozilla Thunderbird saying unknown while you try to navigate it

Your applications key does not work with it being spoken out and other strange behaviour in Windows

The running applications icons are not being spoken out
It might be a good idea to do the following:
Please note: If you are hearing “unknown” or “pane” (as discussed above) NVDA might seem like it is still working properly but it may not be completely in Windows and other programmes.
You could try the following solution which will allow you to re-register your dll files in case they are causing the problem.
Press the Windows key then type the following into the search box. Type in “command prompt”. Once you have located command prompt, in the search results, press the Applications key to bring up the context menu. Arrow down to select “run as administrator” and press the Enter key. This will take you to a command prompt window. This will not be spoken out. You may need sighted assistance for this.
Type in the following command
for %x in (c:\windows\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %x
This should re-register all components in the system32 folder.
When it is finished, you can close the command prompt window with the Alt + F4 key. You should notice now where NVDA was saying “unknown” as in some examples given, NVDA should now read the icons in the running applications area of Windows, speak the content of the webpage and menus, and also in Mozilla Thunderbird and other places in Windows including the Windows applications context menu.

hopefully one of the ways either the snap shot or this way will hopefully fix it for you.

By the way if the latest snapshot fixes it can you let us know please.

Gene nz

On 3/16/2018 3:59 AM, Michel Such wrote:

Hi all,

I encounter a very strange problem on a machine where all used to work fine.

It runs Windows 10 latest update and NVDA 2018.1.

In Mozilla apps, (thunderbird, Firefox) any object is announced as "unknown".

More generally, in any app, conext menus are nomore spoken.

I triend to uninstall and reinstall NVDA, even deleting the NVDA configuration directory, but it definitely does not work.

Has anyone encountered this and know how to fix it ?

Michel Such

Thanks very much,

I already have this next version, but did not notice this registration fixing tool.

I'll try it to-morrow.

Le 15/03/2018 à 21:28, Gene New Zealand a écrit :

[...]

Hi Gene,

Jus tried the com registration fixing toll, and it does not fix the proble.

I ran the NVDA installer in administrative mode to make sure it could update registry, restarted the machine after that, but no improvement.

Thanks anyway.

[...]

Below where you got the snap shot in the email there was another part where you had to go into command prompt.

I was hoping the snapshot would do it.

Below that was some info from off my website about going into the command prompt and entering in some lines of code did you give that a whirl? I know it has fixed other peoples machines but may need a sighted person to enter it in and it need to be followed to a T. make sure you aare admin to do it as in the email.

hopefully that will fix it.

I am thinking also if you can set nvda to debug in the general settings and save your settings when you start up nvda again for the first time go into the areas where you are having problems NVDA will record what is happening then you will need to save the log.

This is done under the tools section in nvdait is called view log and you will need to go into it then save the log to your say desk top so is easy to find. We will see if it or it will be added to the ticket. they may need extra info but think it will be recorded.

Gene nz

Gene nz

On 3/16/2018 8:00 PM, Michel Such wrote:

[...]

Waw! Reregistering the system32 dlls fixed the problem.

Sory, at first time I did not read your mail  entirely.

But I am going to archive it ifor the case this would happen again.

Le 16/03/2018 à 08:37, Gene New Zealand a écrit :

[...]

Hi Michel,

That's good to know. I'm glad it worked.

Here is the link to the ticket and the comments on it so far. https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/2807#issuecomment-320149243

James Teh gave details so if the same happens on 7 or 8 then it could be fixed as well. You are looking for a part that says

jcsteh commented on Aug 4, 2017

Down the bottom of the ticket you will notice that they are working on a tool to fix this, which is in the next snapshot that you tried out.

Maybe it is still being worked on?

Also, make sure that if it is working correctly now, it could be a good idea to set a restore point just in case!

Regards,

Gene

On 3/16/2018 9:38 PM, Michel Such wrote:

[...]

Worrying as its supposed to run at start up but does allow manually running it from tools. If that is not the cause I think we need to get a few people who have this issue together and contact the devs urgently. Itmight be something new. As I say I had some issues after the last windows 7 update a couple of days ago, but after running the next snap its gone away. However what I cannot tell ifs if it was just the reboot that sorted it or the tool. The update itself did a restart but that was when the problem surfaced. it was flaky in that context menus sometimes worked sometimes not and likewise with loaded pages in browsers. It seemed to me that if nvda missed a communication from windows it sort of did not know anything was supposed to be read, but when it heard it it worked as it should.
I cannot say any more other than it seems OK now.
Windows 10 may well have the same or a different issue.
[...]

Image NVDA certified expert
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where
you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can
use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To
find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit
(Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert
near you, please visit the following link
https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains
the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world,
who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.
--
Michel Such <mailto:michel.such@free.fr>
Michel, son chat et son ordi

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Hmm seems then that this part, because it needs to be done in that mode is not being done by the tool. In my case it was not needed, hence it working for me then.
It kind of makes you wonder what on earth is going on here. Its quite obviously windows update, but it may well also be contributed to by something else.
[...]

In my case, I can't say if the problem was due to Windows Update, or to a software my wife recently installed on the machine.

As I installed the same Windows Update on my other machies that are nearly configured the same way, I strongly suspect this new software which I never heard about before.

Le 16/03/2018 à 10:26, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io a écrit :
Hmm seems then that this part, because it needs to be done in that mode is not being done by the tool. In my case it was not needed, hence it working for me then.
It kind of makes you wonder what on earth is going on here. Its quite obviously windows update, but it may well also be contributed to by something else.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-