From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lanie Molinar
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 11:01 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Choosing a Laptop

Hi, everyone. This is Lanie Molinar. I'm sending this to a lot of lists at once. Some are tech-related, some are related to software development, and some are for students. I might have to get a new laptop soon and have a few questions. First, let me give you a little background info to help you understand what I'm looking for. I'm a college student getting a degree in Software Engineering, so I'll be working with code and developing things. I also have several disabilities and health issues in addition to my blindness, so I can't do much physically and spend a lot of my day on the computer doing schoolwork, taking surveys for extra money, gaming, and doing lots of other stuff. I'm fairly sure that I want a computer with Windows 10, not a Mac, although I'm willing to look into a Mac if that seems better. I would also be happy with something running Linux. I definitely want something new, not used, with plenty of RAM. There are so many options that I'm just not sure what to look for or where to get it. Again, I also need something that can handle being used all day, gaming, and developing software. My family is low-income, so I need to get it from somewhere that offers good payment plans. Can anyone give me some advice on how to choose a laptop, good places to buy one from, and what I should get? For those on software development- related lists, I'm interested in what would be best for a developer. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

---
http://www.avg.com

I just looked at the Lenovo website since several people recommended them. They have a 10% student discount on some of their laptops. I think I might have just found a good one for me. Take a look at this:
https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X380-Yoga/p/20LH000MUS
I like how it can be a laptop or a tablet and how it has a fingerprint reader. My mom said that I could get both a laptop and a Braille notetaker or display if I could keep the payments for each one under $100 per month. I did some calculations and found out that with this laptop, if I take 2 years to pay it off, the payments would be about $84 per month. It sounds like a really nice laptop. What do you all think?

On 3/17/2018 12:44 PM, Andre wrote:
How about computers for the blind.com? Phone: 214-340-6328

[...]

Don H

I think it is crazy to pay so much for a laptop.

On 3/17/2018 1:39 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
[...]

It is expensive, but it has everything I need. Also, I've been doing research and most really good laptops seem to be around that price point. I'm going to be using it hard every day, so I need something that can handle that and won't have problems.

On 3/17/2018 3:36 PM, Don H wrote:
[...]

I have had a lot of good luck with HP laptops. I don't buy their cheapest models. For example I have a HP envy laptop that I bought for under $700. It has a Intel 7 processor 12 Gig of Ram and a TB hard drive. At that price I can buy two more and still be below the price on the computer you are looking at. However on the other side of the thought if you can afford it why not buy what you want. So if that is what you want go for it. Only other thought is that computers and electronics in general go down in value really fast. If you are paying $100 per month you will owe more on the computer than its worth before the first year is out.

On 3/17/2018 3:36 PM, Don H wrote:
[...]

Gene

What does using it hard mean?  It's not necessarily how many hours a day you use it but how you use it.  You don't want to get a cheap bottom of the line laptop, but for a lot of users, a roughly five hundred dollar laptop, perhaps cheaper if it's on sale, will serve.  You might want to see which are the most reliable laptops.  I don't follow this, but I have seen surveys, which may be done every year, I'm not sure, with some information about this.  and companies may put out a model that holds up well and another that doesn't.  So I wouldn't assume that if one model is good from a certain company, that they all are.

I didn't look at the web site to see the price nor did I look at the specifications yet,  but what is everything and what is using it hard?

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 3:49 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Choosing a Laptop

On 3/17/2018 3:36 PM, Don H wrote:
> I think it is crazy to pay so much for a laptop.
>
> On 3/17/2018 1:39 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
>> I just looked at the Lenovo website since several people recommended
>> them. They have a 10% student discount on some of their laptops. I
>> think I might have just found a good one for me. Take a look at this:
>> https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X380-Yoga/p/20LH000MUS
>>
>> I like how it can be a laptop or a tablet and how it has a
>> fingerprint reader. My mom said that I could get both a laptop and a
>> Braille notetaker or display if I could keep the payments for each
>> one under $100 per month. I did some calculations and found out that
>> with this laptop, if I take 2 years to pay it off, the payments would
>> be about $84 per month. It sounds like a really nice laptop. What do
>> you all think?
>>
>> On 3/17/2018 12:44 PM, Andre wrote:
>>> How about computers for the blind.com? Phone: 214-340-6328

Gene

I just looked at the price.  2000 dollars is a ridiculous price to pay for a laptop unless you are a gamer or a power user who needs top of the line performance and speed.  If you are going to be doing word processing, e-mail, browsing, runnning something like blackboard, listening to audio, and other typical uses, you are spending much more than necessary.  However, if you tell us specifically how you are going to use the computer, we can see if you have any uses that might justify that high end, power user machine in your case.

Gene

On 3/17/2018 3:36 PM, Don H wrote:
> I think it is crazy to pay so much for a laptop.
>
> On 3/17/2018 1:39 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
>> I just looked at the Lenovo website since several people recommended
>> them. They have a 10% student discount on some of their laptops. I
>> think I might have just found a good one for me. Take a look at this:
>> https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X380-Yoga/p/20LH000MUS
>>
>> I like how it can be a laptop or a tablet and how it has a
>> fingerprint reader. My mom said that I could get both a laptop and a
>> Braille notetaker or display if I could keep the payments for each
>> one under $100 per month. I did some calculations and found out that
>> with this laptop, if I take 2 years to pay it off, the payments would
>> be about $84 per month. It sounds like a really nice laptop. What do
>> you all think?
>>
>> On 3/17/2018 12:44 PM, Andre wrote:
>>> How about computers for the blind.com? Phone: 214-340-6328

It has a good processor, plenty of storage and memory, a touchscreen, and Windows 10 Pro, which I've been wanting. I'll be using it for most of every day, installing lots of apps, developing software with Visual Studio, which is a pretty big app, especially when you choose the development tools you want, downloading plenty of games and books, and doing lots of other stuff. Everything I read when I was researching things suggested that $500 was the bare minimum you should spend on a laptop. I'm planning to learn Python so I can help with NVDA and create my own software, and I already know C++, so I'll be using that too. I have Visual Studio Community, and I've noticed that it seems to run pretty slowly without a lot of RAM. I'll also probably be using Android Studio to develop apps. Also, it's not uncommon for me to have 7 or 8 different apps open and a bunch of tabs open in my browser.

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 3:49 PM

On 3/17/2018 3:36 PM, Don H wrote:
> I think it is crazy to pay so much for a laptop.
>
> On 3/17/2018 1:39 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
>> I just looked at the Lenovo website since several people recommended
>> them. They have a 10% student discount on some of their laptops. I
>> think I might have just found a good one for me. Take a look at this:
>> https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X380-Yoga/p/20LH000MUS
>>
>> I like how it can be a laptop or a tablet and how it has a
>> fingerprint reader. My mom said that I could get both a laptop and a
>> Braille notetaker or display if I could keep the payments for each
>> one under $100 per month. I did some calculations and found out that
>> with this laptop, if I take 2 years to pay it off, the payments would
>> be about $84 per month. It sounds like a really nice laptop. What do
>> you all think?
>>
>> On 3/17/2018 12:44 PM, Andre wrote:
>>> How about computers for the blind.com? Phone: 214-340-6328

Tyler Wood

Hi,

Just to throw in my few cents.

If you pay a little (or lot) more, you also get the piece of mind that you're not going to need to upgrade in a few years. Getting a decent performing machine is also subjective, so what works well for some may not for others - and what one calls a good performer may not be by someone elses definition.

I try and go anywhere from 500-1000.

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 3:49 PM

On 3/17/2018 3:36 PM, Don H wrote:
> I think it is crazy to pay so much for a laptop.
>
> On 3/17/2018 1:39 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
>> I just looked at the Lenovo website since several people recommended
>> them. They have a 10% student discount on some of their laptops. I
>> think I might have just found a good one for me. Take a look at this:
>> https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X380-Yoga/p/20LH000MUS
>>
>> I like how it can be a laptop or a tablet and how it has a
>> fingerprint reader. My mom said that I could get both a laptop and a
>> Braille notetaker or display if I could keep the payments for each
>> one under $100 per month. I did some calculations and found out that
>> with this laptop, if I take 2 years to pay it off, the payments would
>> be about $84 per month. It sounds like a really nice laptop. What do
>> you all think?
>>
>> On 3/17/2018 12:44 PM, Andre wrote:
>>> How about computers for the blind.com? Phone: 214-340-6328

I don't know enough to comment on those uses.  It may be that you need a powerful computer.  Whether you need to spend that much money, I'll let others discuss.

500 dollars is very adequate for a laptop if you are a typical user doing things like browsing, e-mail, listening to audio, the kinds of things typical users do.  I bought a laptop about seven years ago that was on sale but sold when not on sale for something like $470. It is more than adequate for the kinds of uses I've mentioned, and that was nine years ago, when you got less power for that price.

It may be, I don't know, that you would have to spend more money to get a smaller lighter laptop.  But I'm more than satisfied with the one I bought.

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 7:55 PM

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 3:49 PM

On 3/17/2018 3:36 PM, Don H wrote:
> I think it is crazy to pay so much for a laptop.
>
> On 3/17/2018 1:39 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
>> I just looked at the Lenovo website since several people recommended
>> them. They have a 10% student discount on some of their laptops. I
>> think I might have just found a good one for me. Take a look at this:
>> https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X380-Yoga/p/20LH000MUS
>>
>> I like how it can be a laptop or a tablet and how it has a
>> fingerprint reader. My mom said that I could get both a laptop and a
>> Braille notetaker or display if I could keep the payments for each
>> one under $100 per month. I did some calculations and found out that
>> with this laptop, if I take 2 years to pay it off, the payments would
>> be about $84 per month. It sounds like a really nice laptop. What do
>> you all think?
>>
>> On 3/17/2018 12:44 PM, Andre wrote:
>>> How about computers for the blind.com? Phone: 214-340-6328

enes sarıbaş

aren't the poorest, underpowered and cheap laptops around 500 dollars in the states? I definately wouldn't get anything below an i5, and would try to get the latest eighth gen processor, which has 4 cores instead of 2.

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 3:49 PM

On 3/17/2018 3:36 PM, Don H wrote:
> I think it is crazy to pay so much for a laptop.
>
> On 3/17/2018 1:39 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
>> I just looked at the Lenovo website since several people recommended
>> them. They have a 10% student discount on some of their laptops. I
>> think I might have just found a good one for me. Take a look at this:
>> https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X380-Yoga/p/20LH000MUS
>>
>> I like how it can be a laptop or a tablet and how it has a
>> fingerprint reader. My mom said that I could get both a laptop and a
>> Braille notetaker or display if I could keep the payments for each
>> one under $100 per month. I did some calculations and found out that
>> with this laptop, if I take 2 years to pay it off, the payments would
>> be about $84 per month. It sounds like a really nice laptop. What do
>> you all think?
>>
>> On 3/17/2018 12:44 PM, Andre wrote:
>>> How about computers for the blind.com? Phone: 214-340-6328

Hi,

Depends on manufacturer and model. I’ve seen laptops go under 500 dollars (as low as 250).

Lanie’s requirements sort of reflect what I did last year when ordering a Lenovo ThinkPad. I got a Core I5 with 8 GB of RAM and 512 GB SSD, intending for software development work and for testing various apps. I also asked for a fingerprint reader and touchscreen for various reasons (in particular, I needed a touchscreen device in order to continue my work with one particular add-on). All this (a custom-built Lenovo ThinkPad T470) cost 1400 dollars. Lanie may have gotten more powerful components and a newer processor than mine, which may explain the higher cost.

As for development work: I hope you can tell us stories of adventures with Windows Subsystem for Linux. Soon, you’ll be blown away by a feature that’ll make some software development scenarios easier (I’ll give a brief demo of that one at an upcoming Accessible World Tek Talk presentation).

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 3:49 PM

On 3/17/2018 3:36 PM, Don H wrote:
> I think it is crazy to pay so much for a laptop.
>
> On 3/17/2018 1:39 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
>> I just looked at the Lenovo website since several people recommended
>> them. They have a 10% student discount on some of their laptops. I
>> think I might have just found a good one for me. Take a look at this:
>> https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X380-Yoga/p/20LH000MUS
>>
>> I like how it can be a laptop or a tablet and how it has a
>> fingerprint reader. My mom said that I could get both a laptop and a
>> Braille notetaker or display if I could keep the payments for each
>> one under $100 per month. I did some calculations and found out that
>> with this laptop, if I take 2 years to pay it off, the payments would
>> be about $84 per month. It sounds like a really nice laptop. What do
>> you all think?
>>
>> On 3/17/2018 12:44 PM, Andre wrote:
>>> How about computers for the blind.com? Phone: 214-340-6328

That's a big part of why I want this laptop. It has the 8th generation Intel I7.

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 3:49 PM

On 3/17/2018 3:36 PM, Don H wrote:
> I think it is crazy to pay so much for a laptop.
>
> On 3/17/2018 1:39 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
>> I just looked at the Lenovo website since several people recommended
>> them. They have a 10% student discount on some of their laptops. I
>> think I might have just found a good one for me. Take a look at this:
>> https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X380-Yoga/p/20LH000MUS
>>
>> I like how it can be a laptop or a tablet and how it has a
>> fingerprint reader. My mom said that I could get both a laptop and a
>> Braille notetaker or display if I could keep the payments for each
>> one under $100 per month. I did some calculations and found out that
>> with this laptop, if I take 2 years to pay it off, the payments would
>> be about $84 per month. It sounds like a really nice laptop. What do
>> you all think?
>>
>> On 3/17/2018 12:44 PM, Andre wrote:
>>> How about computers for the blind.com? Phone: 214-340-6328

Well I have had good use out of an hp unit, while I do have issues with their support system and their action keys and the fact that their drivers for sound and such seem to have some issues, I have had no real issue, my aunt has a tu, entry level laptop and its fine for what it is.

For me I will have a tx which is their entertainment grade or ax level which handles just about everything.

My plan is to have dedicated graphics 2gb minimum just so I can enjoy my reader without it using shared

memmory and to play some hybrid games on and some of them do exist.

Over that duel drives, and either a dvd or simply an external one.

The other maker I am toying with is asus not because of their software which is totally inaccessible but for performance though hp works out of the box and just about all their apps for the most part are accessible to a point.

On 3/17/2018 3:36 PM, Don H wrote:
[...]

.

Tyler Wood

Hi,

These days, a cheap laptop can be had for less than $300.

Laugh at them, but the Intel Atom, celleron and pentium processors, for day to day use like web browsing, office tasks and email do just fine.

I'm using a t100 from 2013 with an intel atom z3740 and I still get 10 plus hours of batterylife. I love it. They have a new one out now, the transformer book mini by asus. Very solid design.

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 3:49 PM

On 3/17/2018 3:36 PM, Don H wrote:
> I think it is crazy to pay so much for a laptop.
>
> On 3/17/2018 1:39 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
>> I just looked at the Lenovo website since several people recommended
>> them. They have a 10% student discount on some of their laptops. I
>> think I might have just found a good one for me. Take a look at this:
>> https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X380-Yoga/p/20LH000MUS
>>
>> I like how it can be a laptop or a tablet and how it has a
>> fingerprint reader. My mom said that I could get both a laptop and a
>> Braille notetaker or display if I could keep the payments for each
>> one under $100 per month. I did some calculations and found out that
>> with this laptop, if I take 2 years to pay it off, the payments would
>> be about $84 per month. It sounds like a really nice laptop. What do
>> you all think?
>>
>> On 3/17/2018 12:44 PM, Andre wrote:
>>> How about computers for the blind.com? Phone: 214-340-6328

As I recall, 500 dollars is considered a price where you can get a reasonably good laptop, according to what I read perhaps a year or a year and a half ago.  I mean 500 dollars not on sale.

You can look at this page and follow the laptop link to see what is presented there.  I didn't look at more than this one page this evening but if you follow the laptop link, I think you will get price recommendations for laptops that will suit different needs.

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 9:59 PM

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 3:49 PM

On 3/17/2018 3:36 PM, Don H wrote:
> I think it is crazy to pay so much for a laptop.
>
> On 3/17/2018 1:39 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
>> I just looked at the Lenovo website since several people recommended
>> them. They have a 10% student discount on some of their laptops. I
>> think I might have just found a good one for me. Take a look at this:
>> https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X380-Yoga/p/20LH000MUS
>>
>> I like how it can be a laptop or a tablet and how it has a
>> fingerprint reader. My mom said that I could get both a laptop and a
>> Braille notetaker or display if I could keep the payments for each
>> one under $100 per month. I did some calculations and found out that
>> with this laptop, if I take 2 years to pay it off, the payments would
>> be about $84 per month. It sounds like a really nice laptop. What do
>> you all think?
>>
>> On 3/17/2018 12:44 PM, Andre wrote:
>>> How about computers for the blind.com? Phone: 214-340-6328

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The answer will depend on where in the world you are.
You say you do not want a refurbished unit, but some of these are quite workable machines.
However if you had not said about lack of money I was going to say a Mac which can also run Windows and Linux as well, but there will be compromises.
If you know the programming work you will be doing then it might well be best to stick to whatever operating system best serves this.

Obviously on this list, we are only going to deal with nvda, and that means windows 7 to 10, and I'll leave it to others who may have expertise of the multi boot systems previously mentioned. Is the Mac market worth the expense of a machine? I'd doubt it knowing the hoops Apple make software vendors jump through to allow installation.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-