problem updating to NVDA 2018.1

Hi all,
I come across the following problem when updating my old NVDA version.
1. Win 7 professional with NVDA 2014.4 installed
2. downloaded NVDA2018.1 and run the exe file
3. progress as usual, yet, when the program was installing, the following error message pop up
The installation is unable to remove or overwrite a file. Another copy of NVDA
may be running on another logged-on user account. Please make sure all
installed copies of NVDA are shut down and try the installation again.

Retry Cancel
4. I try clicking retry and the problem is still there
5. I then click cancel and the install program quit
6. I press ctrl alt n want to call back the original NVDA, however, the old NVDA didn't run.
 7. with sighted assistance, I try running the 2018 exe file again, however the same error message appear again.
8. I try logout again and run the 2018 installer again, however the error appear again
9. I have to run the old NVDA 2014.4 installer, and the NVDA is restored

Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

hi.
did you try restarting your computer?
it can help resolving many issues.
if not, you can uninstall previous version of nvda and reinstall new
version, or use system restore.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes, what account was the old version installed on and has the machine had its account privileges changed since the last version.
I seem to recall the new version does a lot more deletion of files in your system area than the old one used to.
If that is not the case then try to remove the old version using the old version of revo uninstaller. However, a word first.
make sure a restart does not allow you to install it, that is a complete restart of the machine, and make a portable copy somewhere on your machine of the old version with a manual shortcut to it on the desktop so you can get it back easily. make sure it copies all the settings etc when its created.

If none of that works, then I'll let others have a stab at it as they may well have seen it also.

Windows 7 can often fail to remove files for no apparent reason I found, but generally it will delete them on a restart.

I don't know what anti virus you are using, lets hope its not avast.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

Thanks all.
Finally, I got it work by uninstalling the old NVDA first from the     control panal.
by then, I run the new exe file without problem.