My initial experience using NVDA with Skype 8

Hi,
I recently updated Skype to the new Skype 8 via Ninight. I did just gave NVDA a try, and I must say, I'm quite satisfied with how NVDA performs (haven't try going into the settings yet though). The fact that NVDA treats Skype as a web page means I can just press the e key to jump to the message edit box, without having to tab around, which I find quite annoying in Skype 7. Also, once I exit the focus mode on the message edit field, I'm able to use the up/down arrow keys to review the messages in the chat, which is once again more convenient than tabbing around.
However I do miss the ability to set custom hotkeys, notifications when someone signs in or sends a message, and the list of pending contact requests though.
At first, I thought NVDA would work horribly with the new Skype, judging by a thread about this on the list earlier but my experience seems to prove otherwise.
But if I'm on Windows 10, I'll still use the Skype UWP as it's preinstalled.

Hmmm well While I like skype7 for what it is its not all that cool really.

If new skype is becoming a web based uwp page thingy and if I can get used to it, giving that nvda's strength is web elements then maybe things are changing for the better.

On 18/03/2018 2:18 p.m., Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:
[...]

does nvda 2016.4 support it?
i decided to use this version of nvda forever!

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

NVDA 2017.4 requires Windows 7 or later, and I do think Skype 8 also requires Windows 7.

i told 2016.4, not 2017.4!

On 3/18/18, Supanut Leepaisomboon <supanut2000@outlook.com> wrote:
NVDA 2017.4 requires Windows 7 or later, and I do think Skype 8 also
requires Windows 7.
--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Why would you want to use such an old version? Version 2017.3 still works Wwith Windows XP

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think its possible more reliable for some software on the older machine. certainly there were changes but it does very much depend on the software in use whether the trade off of using the later version for its extras and things it won't allow is worth it.

I tend to get around such issues on older operating systems by using portable versionds of the least needed version with a simple switch over batch file.

Its a bit like only having one browser can be a problem, and only having one screenreader can be also, however, I no longer use my old reader Dolphin Supernova and cannot be bothered with the jaws time limited demo.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Why would you want to use such an old version? Version 2017.3 still works Wwith Windows XP

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes it seems that Microsoft are going further and not allowing skype installed on xp to even connect after a certain date. There have been mutterings about a big security hole in Skype, but I guess they are hardly likely to tell the hackers what it was, they are just going to stop machines with code that has it to no longer work.

I think this even covers Skype on older mobile operating systems for phones as well.
brian
bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

NVDA 2017.4 requires Windows 7 or later, and I do think Skype 8 also requires Windows 7.

even version 2015.4 is also Good for me.
i only prefer 2016.3 and later because of american accent which i love
in espeak and selection of text which is changed in nvda 2016.3 and
later!
i dont believe updating just for updating!
i prefer one software to meet my need, even if thousand versions of
softwares is available!
i love this version and did not extra features and changes in newer
versions of nvda.