nvda and Jaws behave differently on two computers

Michael Massey <massey52@...>

Hi.  I sent a message to Joseph Lee a few weeks ago regarding the subject and he suggested I send a message to this group.  Here are my issues.

I have two computers running Windows 10 with the latest updates installed.  My desktop pc is a custom-built machine with Windows 10 pro installed on it.  It is around 16 months old.  My laptop pc is an Hp machine purchased approximately two months ago and it has Windows 10 home edition 64 bit edition.  The desktop has 64 bit Windows 10 pro on it.

When I launch nvda on my desktop pc, if there is an add-on, it is recognized and I can install it from the dialog.  The Jaws audio is ducked as well.  However, on my laptop running the latest nvda, the add-on is not recognized, nor does the audio duck when Jaws is running.  Why won’t the add-on be recognized on my laptop?  And why does the audio ducking feature work on my desktop and not the laptop?  Thank you.

Mike M.

Jonathan COHN

Hello,

I have absolutely no clue about the audio ducking and in fact, consider audio ducking a curse.

In terms of the Addons, I am not sure what state the ddins are from your message. Are they installed and recognized by the addin item in the tools menu but not performing, or  is NVDA not attempting to open / install the addin when it is double clicked?

If the addin is installed but not working correctly, I would look for log file entries and also verify that the addon shows up the same in the %appdata%\nvda\addons directory.

If you can’t even get the addon to install then this is probably a registry issue in that Windows is not associating the file with the NVDA process. Another possibility is that a virus protection software recognizes the addon as a zip file and is being overly aggressive at deleteing zip  with python script files in them.

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Michael Massey <massey52@q.com>
Date: Monday, March 19, 2018 at 2:13 PM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] nvda and Jaws behave differently on two computers

[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

What do you mean by jaws? are you referring to the jaws program or do you mean the synth package like eloquence. You are not running 2 screen readers at the same time it would be nuts.

Is on the second computer where it does not duck is it a portable version you are using? as it will not do it. it has to be a installer version.

maybe your settings are set different on the second computer for ducking. like no ducking.

You can use the nvda key + shift key + the letter D to go between the different modes.

There are 3 modes you can pick from.

You should hear them spoken.

As for the add on which one is it? and is either in a zip form with the extension as zip or does it say like the addon name nvda.addon?

Or is it more a synth package?

Gene nz