Topics

Accessible EPUB Reader

Hi, everyone. Is there a good free EPUB reader that works on Windows 10 and is accessible with NVDA? I know you can read EPUB files with Microsoft Edge, but I was unsure of how well that works since I don't use Edge very much at all. I have Adobe Digital Editions, and reading books is accessible, but the list of books in my library isn't. It doesn't read any of the information about the book, so I have to use OCR to see which book I'm focused on, which is really annoying. I do like how Adobe Digital Editions syncs all books I add to my library with my Adobe account, but I'm willing to do without that if there's a more accessible alternative. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

---
http://www.avg.com

Rui Fontes

Try Adobe Digital Editions.

Rui

Às 20:01 de 21/03/2018, Lanie Molinar escreveu:

Hi, everyone. Is there a good free EPUB reader that works on Windows 10 and is accessible with NVDA? I know you can read EPUB files with Microsoft Edge, but I was unsure of how well that works since I don't use Edge very much at all. I have Adobe Digital Editions, and reading books is accessible, but the list of books in my library isn't. It doesn't read any of the information about the book, so I have to use OCR to see which book I'm focused on, which is really annoying. I do like how Adobe Digital Editions syncs all books I add to my library with my Adobe account, but I'm willing to do without that if there's a more accessible alternative. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.
---
http://www.avg.com

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

It's not free (though there is a crippled trial version), but I use Qread. I like it especially for pdfs as it loads them very quickly. It is not expensive -- about $35 US or somewhere in that range. It will also read epub files. Unfortunately I don't know if it works with linked tables of contents, which would be a nice and obvious feature to have. Actually though I'm not positive it won't do this; it's just that I mostly have been using it lately to convert to plain text and dump into my braille display.

There is, I believe, an epub plug-in for Microsoft Word. I remember using it briefly on my XP machine. You could search around for it. There also used to be a plug-in for firefox, which I also used.

Hi, everyone. Is there a good free EPUB reader that works on Windows 10 and is accessible with NVDA? I know you can read EPUB files with Microsoft Edge, but I was unsure of how well that works since I don't use Edge very much at all. I have Adobe Digital Editions, and reading books is accessible, but the list of books in my library isn't. It doesn't read any of the information about the book, so I have to use OCR to see which book I'm focused on, which is really annoying. I do like how Adobe Digital Editions syncs all books I add to my library with my Adobe account, but I'm willing to do without that if there's a more accessible alternative. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

---
http://www.avg.com

Rayn Darren

I use EPUB file reader, it works very well , the only issue I've found is you have to alt tab out and then back in when you change chapters, not at all a deal breaker though. I've had it for quite a while and don't remember where I found it, but it's free as far as I can remember.

Hi, everyone. Is there a good free EPUB reader that works on Windows 10
and is accessible with NVDA? I know you can read EPUB files with
Microsoft Edge, but I was unsure of how well that works since I don't
use Edge very much at all. I have Adobe Digital Editions, and reading
books is accessible, but the list of books in my library isn't. It
doesn't read any of the information about the book, so I have to use OCR
to see which book I'm focused on, which is really annoying. I do like
how Adobe Digital Editions syncs all books I add to my library with my
Adobe account, but I'm willing to do without that if there's a more
accessible alternative. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

---
http://www.avg.com

Cristóbal

QRead which has been mentioned before. I think I paid something like $30. But well worth it.
Back in the day, I used an add-on in Firefox called ePubReader, but don’t' know if it's still supported.
Remember though, ePub books are basically just zipped HTML files.

Hi, everyone. Is there a good free EPUB reader that works on Windows 10 and is accessible with NVDA? I know you can read EPUB files with Microsoft Edge, but I was unsure of how well that works since I don't use Edge very much at all. I have Adobe Digital Editions, and reading books is accessible, but the list of books in my library isn't. It doesn't read any of the information about the book, so I have to use OCR to see which book I'm focused on, which is really annoying. I do like how Adobe Digital Editions syncs all books I add to my library with my Adobe account, but I'm willing to do without that if there's a more accessible alternative. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

---
http://www.avg.com

john s

Balabolka is free and reads a number of formats.

At 04:01 PM 3/21/2018, Lanie Molinar, wrote:
Hi, everyone. Is there a good free EPUB reader that works on Windows 10 and is accessible with NVDA? I know you can read EPUB files with Microsoft Edge, but I was unsure of how well that works since I don't use Edge very much at all. I have Adobe Digital Editions, and reading books is accessible, but the list of books in my library isn't. It doesn't read any of the information about the book, so I have to use OCR to see which book I'm focused on, which is really annoying. I do like how Adobe Digital Editions syncs all books I add to my library with my Adobe account, but I'm willing to do without that if there's a more accessible alternative. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

---
http://www.avg.com

John

Ron Canazzi

I would recommend Balabolka as well.  It works only for the PC at this point, but I can convert to other formats and read it on the Victor Reader Second Generation as text files and I can even convert to MP3 and listen on the BARD NLS Player or other MP3 players.

And of course, IT'S FREE!

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Mallard

Hello,

I think epub Reader is still available in Firefox.

I too bought Qread years ago, and I use it all the time, although it parses books, and doesn't maintain the links and format.

Adobe Digital Editions is accessible too, although I don't seem to be able to navigate through the links.

A couple of days ago, quite by chance, I discovered that there's an epub reader in Edge as well. It does a fair job, I think, especially with commercial ebooks, because you can navigate through links very easily and consistently.

I had difficulty with epubs that had been converted from some other format, and had no internal links. After the first page, I couldn't proceed to the next, but I believe this is because I don't know how to do that, rather than because it can't be done.

Any suggestions along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 21/03/2018 21:55, Cristóbal ha scritto:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Otherwise known as the crash machine.. chuckle...
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Às 20:01 de 21/03/2018, Lanie Molinar escreveu:
Hi, everyone. Is there a good free EPUB reader that works on Windows 10 and is accessible with NVDA? I know you can read EPUB files with Microsoft Edge, but I was unsure of how well that works since I don't use Edge very much at all. I have Adobe Digital Editions, and reading books is accessible, but the list of books in my library isn't. It doesn't read any of the information about the book, so I have to use OCR to see which book I'm focused on, which is really annoying. I do like how Adobe Digital Editions syncs all books I add to my library with my Adobe account, but I'm willing to do without that if there's a more accessible alternative. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

---
http://www.avg.com

ChrisLeo

Hi,
actually NVDA2018.1 supports VitalSource Bookshelf and Azardi as EPUB reader.
Download Azardi from here:
http://azardi.infogridpacific.com/azardi-download.html

Download VitalSource Bookshelf from here:
https://support.vitalsource.com/hc/en-us/articles/201344733-Bookshelf-Download-Page

-.
Cheers,

Chris.

Lanie Molinar, 21/03/2018 21:01:

Hi, everyone. Is there a good free EPUB reader that works on Windows 10
and is accessible with NVDA? I know you can read EPUB files with
Microsoft Edge, but I was unsure of how well that works since I don't
use Edge very much at all. I have Adobe Digital Editions, and reading
books is accessible, but the list of books in my library isn't. It
doesn't read any of the information about the book, so I have to use OCR
to see which book I'm focused on, which is really annoying. I do like
how Adobe Digital Editions syncs all books I add to my library with my
Adobe account, but I'm willing to do without that if there's a more
accessible alternative. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

---
http://www.avg.com

Mallard

Hey Chris,

Thanks for these treats!

I installed Epub File Reader, but I'm not sure it works in Win10.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 22/03/2018 10:56, ChrisLeo ha scritto:
[...]

David Griffith

Actually I tried Azardi  on Windows 10 but found the app completely screenreader inaccessible with NVDA Jaws 2018 and Narrator.

Is there a previous accessible install that you use?

David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog

actually NVDA2018.1 supports VitalSource Bookshelf and Azardi as EPUB

reader.

Download Azardi from here:

http://azardi.infogridpacific.com/azardi-download.html

Download VitalSource Bookshelf from here:

https://support.vitalsource.com/hc/en-us/articles/201344733-Bookshelf-Download-Page

-.

Cheers,

Chris.

Lanie Molinar, 21/03/2018 21:01:

> Hi, everyone. Is there a good free EPUB reader that works on Windows 10

> and is accessible with NVDA? I know you can read EPUB files with

> Microsoft Edge, but I was unsure of how well that works since I don't

> use Edge very much at all. I have Adobe Digital Editions, and reading

> books is accessible, but the list of books in my library isn't. It

> doesn't read any of the information about the book, so I have to use OCR

> to see which book I'm focused on, which is really annoying. I do like

> how Adobe Digital Editions syncs all books I add to my library with my

> Adobe account, but I'm willing to do without that if there's a more

> accessible alternative. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

> ---

> http://www.avg.com

John Covici

Do you know if balabolka will read a footnote if its linked in the
epub?

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 04:39:23 -0400,
Mallard wrote:

[...]

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

Mallard

Hello,

Azardi didn't work for me at all on Windows10. In fact, it didn't even install on my machine.

Ciao,
Ollie

Mallard

Hey again, Cris,

What's Vitalsource Bookshelf supposed to do?

I installed it, created an account, but it seems not to be an ebook reader.

Can you read your own books with it, ore are you forced to borrow or buy theirs?

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 22/03/2018 11:07, Mallard ha scritto:
[...]

Jacob Kruger

I just installed it here on my windows 10 64 bit machine, and, while
it's own, initial interface doesn't seem to offer much in terms of
accessibility, if I just open an .epub file from windows explorer's
open with context menu, then it just seems to have converted the
contents into a form of webpage, but, not sure what this would
actually offer in terms of bookmarking, etc.?

Besides that, doesn't acrobat reader DC offer epub reading?

I am also pretty sure both chrome and edge browsers can load these
file types, but, to be honest, if I want to read an ePub eBook, then I
transfer it to my android phone, and go from there.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 3/22/2018 3:22 PM, Mallard wrote:
Hello,

Azardi didn't work for me at all on Windows10. In fact, it didn't
even install on my machine.

Ciao,
Ollie

ChrisLeo

Hi Ollie! My pleasure to see you here sometime.

EPUB FileReader seems supports from windows Xp to windows 8.1, and I don't understand what version of .Net Framework is required.

On Windows 10 I use VitalSource Bookshelf. I never installed Azardi on windows 10 due on the download page I read that it works with Xp, Vista and Windows 7/8.

Cheers,
Chris.

Mallard, 22/03/2018 14:22:

Hello,

Azardi didn't work for me at all on Windows10. In fact, it didn't even
install on my machine.

Ciao,
Ollie

Mallard

Hello Jacob,

I don't know why it gave me an error here.

However, it was an experiment, because I'm very phappy with Qread and Edge, which has proved to be really good at the job.

I read ebooks on my android phone only when I want to listen to them, because I prefer braille and that I can only really do on this pc.

My braille display doesn't have a keyboard, so it's hard to navigate books with ti.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 22/03/2018 14:34, Jacob Kruger ha scritto:
[...]

Thanks Chris. I'll try again with Vitalsource then.

Ciao, take care!

let's keep in touch!

Ollie

Il 22/03/2018 14:34, ChrisLeo ha scritto:
Hi Ollie! My pleasure to see you here sometime.

EPUB FileReader  seems supports from windows Xp to windows 8.1, and I don't understand what  version of .Net Framework is required.

On Windows 10 I use VitalSource Bookshelf. I never installed Azardi on windows 10 due on the download page I read that it works with Xp, Vista and Windows 7/8.

Cheers,
Chris.

Mallard, 22/03/2018 14:22:
Hello,

Azardi didn't work for me at all on Windows10. In fact, it didn't even
install on my machine.

Ciao,
Ollie

ChrisLeo

Hi Ollie,
it is not mandatory to make an account on vitalSource BookSheels .
See also this post in Spanish for more informations, hope this help you:
https://nvdaes.github.io/epub3
-.
ajó!

Chris.