Any Captcha Solving Add-on Works with FireFox 59 and NVDA 2018.1?

Kenny <kwashingtonbox@...>

I really wish there was a way to make Webvisum work with the new FireFox 59 browser, but I fear this project is dead!

Is there any other free captcha solving add-on I can use that works with FireFox 59 and NVDA 2018.1?

Don't think it is fair we have to use an older, outdated FireFox browser to gain access to Webvisum, and I refuse to do so.

Has anyone found a work-around to this on-going nusome for users of screenreaders browsing the web?

Mallard

Hello,

You shouldn't panic... You can keep a portable version of Firefox 52.x ESR (Extended Security Release) for handy for situations where you kow you'll need to solve capthas. Audio Captchas are pretty common these days, but they aren't always a solution, because sometimes, in order to play the audio file, you have to leave the edit field, and it's a pain in the neck, because you can't type the letters or numbers as you hear them.

I'm using the latest verson of Firefox, andkeep an ESR portable for emergency situations.

That's the only workaround available right now, as far as I know.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 23/03/2018 18:52, Kenny ha scritto:

I really wish there was a way to make Webvisum work with the new FireFox 59 browser, but I fear this project is dead!

Is there any other free captcha solving add-on I can use that works with FireFox 59 and NVDA 2018.1?

Don't think it is fair we have to use an older, outdated FireFox browser to gain access to Webvisum, and I refuse to do so.

Has anyone found a work-around to this on-going nusome for users of screenreaders browsing the web?

Gene

You are cutting off your nose to spite your face.  I don't know how much you know about this question but making a definite statement that you won't do something at the start of such a discussion isn't a good way to get information.  You may be unaware of information that might change your mind and you may be less likely to get such information if you say you won't do something.

You probably don't need to use Webvism on a lot of sites.  If you use an old compatible version of Firefox with sites that you want to use Webvism for, you are probably not increasing your security risk to a meaningful extent.  You can use a current version of Firefox for all other sites.  And, for now, using a portable version of the ESR version of Firefox isn't increasing your security risk at all.  The current ESR version is compatible with Webvism and will continue to receive security updates until the summer.  I believe august, but I'm not sure.

Part of being a good blind computer user, that is, of getting the most out of the system and programs, is not to make arbitrary decisions based on what is fair or not fair.  The question is, what works, is there a meaningful reason not to use what works.  And does whatever it is work well enough to use it at all or when compared with alternatives?  Those are meaningful evaluation questions.  Fairness is not a meaningful evaluation question.

I really wish there was a way to make Webvisum work with the new FireFox 59 browser, but I fear this project is dead!

Is there any other free captcha solving add-on I can use that works with FireFox 59 and NVDA 2018.1?

Don't think it is fair we have to use an older, outdated FireFox browser to gain access to Webvisum, and I refuse to do so.

Has anyone found a work-around to this on-going nusome for users of screenreaders browsing the web?

Kenny <kwashingtonbox@...>

It's really not that serious.

Please don't judge me so harshly for having an opinion that differs from yours.

On 3/23/2018 7:38 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I use Firefox ESR still, for the most part, but I confess I have not successfully gotten Webvism to solve anything. I do not know why this is. I always get the message “no captsha found” or something like that. Luckily the main one I really wanted to sign up with, IMDB, has a really good audio one now. I have tried to use this add-on for years and there always seems to be some problem or other with it. I’m willing to play with it a little more but I’m at the point of writing it off as a lost cause. Others have reported plenty of success, but I see just as many comments claiming it doesn’t work, and the last time I checked, its only comments on the Mozilla add-ons page were negative. SO yes, I’m very bemused by the whole thing. I wouldn’t personally let this add-on stand in the way of using Firefox 59.

[...]

Lino Morales

Can I get an amen? Gene take a chill pill every once in a while. Now, back to NVDA.

Lino Morales

I really wish there was a way to make Webvisum work with the new FireFox 59 browser, but I fear this project is dead!

Is there any other free captcha solving add-on I can use that works with FireFox 59 and NVDA 2018.1?

Don't think it is fair we have to use an older, outdated FireFox browser to gain access to Webvisum, and I refuse to do so.

Has anyone found a work-around to this on-going nusome for users of screenreaders browsing the web?

Kenny <kwashingtonbox@...>

I really love how well NVDA 2018.1 works with FireFox 59. So much so, I'm slowly drifting away from using Chrome.

On 3/23/2018 8:10 PM, JM Casey wrote:

[...]

Tyler Wood

Hi

I still use chrome, but the best thing that anyone can do is use what works.

I use both browsers depending on what I need to get done on what site. Firefox works better for some whereas chrome is just so blazing fast and responsive.

On 23-Mar-2018 9:46 PM, Kenny wrote:

[...]

I may have expressed myself too strongly.  But are you saying you wouldn't consider using a portable version?  When someone says they refuse to do something in absolute terms, I may write more strongly than I should.  But twenty-one years using computers has taught me repeatedly that keeping options and choices opened is important and that saying you won't do something unless you are sure you know of all alternatives involving the option isn't a good approach.

Gene

I really wish there was a way to make Webvisum work with the new FireFox 59 browser, but I fear this project is dead!

Is there any other free captcha solving add-on I can use that works with FireFox 59 and NVDA 2018.1?

Don't think it is fair we have to use an older, outdated FireFox browser to gain access to Webvisum, and I refuse to do so.

Has anyone found a work-around to this on-going nusome for users of screenreaders browsing the web?

Gene

If you are using a script blocker or have JAVA scripts disabled, and don't allow automatic downloading of images, no captcha will be found.

[...]

Maybe there is a setting I have mistakenly or unthinkingly set in firefox to limit scripts, but I haven’t used a script blocker in recent times, and since getting a reasonably fast connection and living with a sighted person, I leave images alone, even with two user accounts.

[...]

If you blocked scripts a long time ago and continued to update the program, I would expect the setting to be retained.  If you never knowingly did, it is unlikely.  For a good while, if you want to block scripts in the program, you have to change a setting in about:config.  It appears, we don't know what, that something is keeping images from being downloaded by Firefox.  If there are other possibilities, I don't know what they might be.

[...]

hi gene.
i remember that i could use webvisum with firefox, but i dont remember
the last version of firefox that supported webvisum for me.
i block javascript, but when i changed the settings to display
security codes, in webvisum, even with firefox 52esr, i could not
solve security codes and i recieved error 31!

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Gene

There are different versions of Webvism.  There are one or two versions that will work with Webvisum ESR, which is the version we are talking about.  Others will have to say what version of Webvisum works with the ESR version.  Is it the one you can get a link to on the Blind Bargains site or is it the one currently on the web site or both?  But getting a no image found message implies to me that the problem isn't the version being used.  I don't think an incompatible version will even run and I don't think it will even sign into webvisum or look for an image.

On 3/24/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> If you blocked scripts a long time ago and continued to update the program,
> I would expect the setting to be retained.  If you never knowingly did, it
> is unlikely.  For a good while, if you want to block scripts in the program,
> you have to change a setting in about:config.  It appears, we don't know
> what, that something is keeping images from being downloaded by Firefox.  If
> there are other possibilities, I don't know what they might be.
>
> Gene

i tried version 092 which people told me its work, but did not work
for me and i recieved error 31

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

In my view capchars are a ridiculous solution to a problem. I know for a fact that these sites still get spammed so somebody out there has found a way to either decode them by machine or hack past them. They should as I said back when we first encountered them, have had a massive campaign to boycott all sites using them, Then this situation would never have arisen.
Sorry but I feel let down by the blind community here.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

Fairness is very important though, otherwise nothing at all would be standard and we would have no access at all.

[...]

Yes indeed, I don't think its a judgment, just stating the opinion they have. Unfortunately, many of us writing these messages tend to forget how it sounds read out by a dead pan voice, so to speak.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I really wish there was a way to make Webvisum work with the new
FireFox 59 browser, but I fear this project is dead!

Is there any other free captcha solving add-on I can use that works
with FireFox 59 and NVDA 2018.1?

Don't think it is fair we have to use an older, outdated FireFox
browser to gain access to Webvisum, and I refuse to do so.

Has anyone found a work-around to this on-going nusome for users of
screenreaders browsing the web?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think everyone missed the bus when cap chars emerged. I'm not impressed by any of the solutions to something nobody likes and is apparently hackable by the bad guys but not us!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Can I get an amen? Gene take a chill pill every once in a while. Now, back to NVDA.

Lino Morales

I really wish there was a way to make Webvisum work with the new FireFox 59 browser, but I fear this project is dead!

Is there any other free captcha solving add-on I can use that works with FireFox 59 and NVDA 2018.1?

Don't think it is fair we have to use an older, outdated FireFox browser to gain access to Webvisum, and I refuse to do so.

Has anyone found a work-around to this on-going nusome for users of screenreaders browsing the web?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

To use an old Usenet term on this thread.
Plonk!

-----